Options

Your FAVORITE PJ drummer?

mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
edited July 2015 in The Porch
I know this is a huge topic of discussion and is constantly asked, but I'm just curious to see what the breakdown is! No name calling, they're all amazing, but pick your favorite. I'm also bored at work...
Milwaukee 2014
MSG 2016 1&2
Wrigley 2016 1&2
Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
London 2018 1
Wrigley 2018 1&2
St. Louis 2020

Your FAVORITE PJ drummer? 181 votes

Dave Krusen
0%
igotid88 1 vote
Dave Abbruzzese
26%
darthvedderevenflow822-feign-reluctanceTroubledSoulNiktoEnkidustawamusmookieblalockbrolocoty9969Rearviewreleasedlb2334Indifference71Of The AggiePA Jammerfluff4uscrappysatticRW8297.lovethepj.Caught-A-Bolt-Of-Lightning 48 votes
Jack Irons
27%
mcgruff10my_wavechainreleaseNYDr. Delightpjalive21mrluthor9Wma31394drummerboy_73DukeSpiritaustinevolution10Jason PjerTheLuckyOnessolaceNoloadryph raphlolobuggmfc2006Nami 50 votes
Matt Cameron
45%
Riot_Macledveddermanjeffbrred mosRed MosqitogregkitefanLedbetterman10CopperTombootlegger10vedderfan02on2legskeeponrisinpulling69goldrushcoach pjcoerypantelis79BillGlorifiedGCj920Roeghmann 82 votes

Comments

• Options
    Dave Abbruzzese
    I feel bad for disrespecting Matt Cameron in this way...but I feel VERY strongly about this.

Pearl Jam just is NOT the same band without Dave A. Listening to shows from his era, the songs had a fire, groove, and energy that has never come back.

Matt takes those songs and makes them...boring. Even higher tempo songs, like Go, he just doesn't have the same pocket that Dave A had. As a drummer myself, it's incredibly apparent and noticeable to me and I'm bummed I could never see Dave A. play with the band.

Not saying Matt Cameron sucks or the songs that he has recorded with the band are shitty. Quite the contrary, he fits the band's style more now, I think. but listening to him play songs from the Ten-Vs. era leaves a lot to be desired...

I yearn for the alternate timeline where Dave A stays in the band this entire time. He just had "it."
    2006/05/25 - Boston
    2008/06/30 - Mansfield
    2009/10/31 - Philadelphia
    2010/05/17 - Boston
    2011/06/15 - Providence (Eddie Vedder)
    2012/09/02 - Made in America
    2013/10/17 - Worcester
    2013/10/25 - Hartford
    2015/09/26 - Global Citizen Festival
    2016/08/05 - Fenway
    2016/08/07 - Fenway
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Jack Irons
    While I give Matt the utmost respect and thank him for being the Lebowski rug that ties the PJ room together... As far as style, Jack has always been my favorite!
  • Options
    JT_JamFanJT_JamFan Posts: 170
    Jack Irons
    Jack is my favorite, absolutely, so he gets my vote, but i definitely feel that Matt is a better fit. Glad that Jack did his turn (Yield is my favorite album) but even more appreciative that Matt is in the throne now.
    Escape is never the safest path....

Atlanta 9.1.98
    Dallas 11.15.13
    Ft. Worth 9.15.23
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,968
    Matt Cameron
    Jack in second, Abruzzese in third, and Kruson in last (sorry dave)
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    Matt Cameron
    Matt Cameron. Some of you keep yearning for that perfect girl but fail to notice she's been standing in front of you the whole time. A strange analogy but Matt is in it for the long run. Jack and Dave have their great qualities, but I prefer the drummer that can actually help the band play three hour shows for 17 years in a row now. I
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Jack Irons
    My favorite shows are 95-96 and my favorite albums of all time are no code and yield. Mr jack irons is the winner!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Jack Irons
    Hands down, jack irons. This debate is over.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    Jack Irons

We agree on something?!?!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Jack Irons
    mcgruff10 said:

We agree on something?!?!
    :get_outta_here:
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Matt Cameron
    i voted Matt Cameron difficult choice between him and Dave A. nice poll should bring some interesting feedback
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Matt Cameron
    Matt fucking Cameron! :rock_on:

On a side note - no Matt Chamberlain?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,840
    Jack Irons
    Jack Irons is my choice!
  • Options
    Beav7Beav7 Posts: 15
    This is hard. I totally agree with those who say Dave A. had that certain spark and groove that has been missing since, but I also think it's highly likely that Matt "saved" PJ, and they may not have lasted this long without him. So for me I guess it's a tie. I love them both in very different ways.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Dave was a beast & on a whole other level than the others listed. I do love them all dearly though.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,487
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Studio - Jack Irons
    Their most creative period was No Code/Yield.

Live - Dave Abbruzzese
    Their best live period was with Dave. And most volatile since his and Ed's personalities clashed.

Matt Cameron belongs in Soundgarden. I didn't realize that until I finally got to see them live when they got back together.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    Matt Cameron
    As somebody who can't really appreciate the difference between drummers my vote goes to Matt as he's the guy in the seat right now. Drummers are interchangeable to me, I love all the albums that the others guys played on but I don't miss them as band members. If Matt was replaced tomorrow my vote would probably go the next guy, as he would be the one that kept the band together.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,150
    Dave Abbruzzese

Studio - Jack Irons
    Their most creative period was No Code/Yield.

Live - Dave Abbruzzese
    Their best live period was with Dave. And most volatile since his and Ed's personalities clashed.

Matt Cameron belongs in Soundgarden. I didn't realize that until I finally got to see them live when they got back together.

I agree with this a lot.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    RhinoJamRhinoJam Raleighwood Posts: 593
    Dave Abbruzzese

I feel bad for disrespecting Matt Cameron in this way...but I feel VERY strongly about this.

Pearl Jam just is NOT the same band without Dave A. Listening to shows from his era, the songs had a fire, groove, and energy that has never come back.

Matt takes those songs and makes them...boring. Even higher tempo songs, like Go, he just doesn't have the same pocket that Dave A had. As a drummer myself, it's incredibly apparent and noticeable to me and I'm bummed I could never see Dave A. play with the band.

Not saying Matt Cameron sucks or the songs that he has recorded with the band are shitty. Quite the contrary, he fits the band's style more now, I think. but listening to him play songs from the Ten-Vs. era leaves a lot to be desired...

I yearn for the alternate timeline where Dave A stays in the band this entire time. He just had "it."

I agree!

I love the cymbal/hi-hat/snare work from the shows with Dave A... he just brought a different kind of intensity and funk to their sound... I never got to see them live with Dave A.... (my first show was with Jack Irons) - - I do love Jack Irons drum work though... No Code and Yield are tremendous... I think Jack came along at the right time and encouraged more experimental/transcendental/tribal type drumming and rhythms... whereas Matt is a work horse and reliable/steady... but doesnt seem to possess the same creative tendencies and intensity that Dave A had or the mysticism and experimental nature of Jack.... Matt came along at just the right time and helped hold the band together... He in large part is why I think the band is still together... and he does bring his own songs to the table which are usually very good... But from a drumming standpoint, I love hearing the older bootlegs and hearing Dave's contribution to the sound!

Charlotte 10/4/96 Raleigh 8/31/98 Charlotte 8/4/00 Raleigh 4/15/03 Asheville 10/6/04
    Bonnaroo 6/14/08 Spectrum 10/30/09 Spectrum 10/31/09 Atlanta 9/22/12 Wrigley 7/19/13
    Baltimore 10/27/13 Charlottesville 10/29/13 Charlotte 10/30/13 OKC 11/16/13
    St. Louis 10/03/14 Greenville 4/16/16 Hampton 4/18/16
    Columbia 4/21/16 Wrigley 8/18/18
  • Options
    calvo17calvo17 Posts: 440
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Surprised to see Matt winning by such margin... Dave has always been number one for me. But recently I have been listening to a lot of 95-96 shows and man, was Jack amazing live. That groove! I liked Matt in 98 & 00. After that I think he sounds flat & lazy. But as some of you have said I'm grateful that he saved the life of the band. So I love them all in a different way, but Dave was the man. If Matt could only slow down (Even Flow!!!)and go back to his 98 sound...
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there.
    11/20/11 San Jose, Costa Rica
    10/18/13 Brooklyn 1
    10/19/13 Brooklyn 2
    10/21/13 Philly 1
    10/22/13 Philly 2 (BREATH!!)
    10/25/13 Hartford
    10/22/14 Denver (BREATH!!!)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited July 2015
    Matt Cameron
    TBH, I'm not too picky one way or the other as far as sound goes. I think Jack is the only one who can do "In My Tree" justice, but other than that, I don't really hear this massive, meaningful difference that some of you do. Not with the albums, and not with the shows. I mean, I can tell there is a difference in drumming styles, but I don't think one is way better than the others. I think they are all excellent and all serve the band very well. I do hear a big difference between the feel of the boots from back then until now, but I don't feel like the big differences that I personally pay attention to are really about the drums. I think Eddie is the biggest factor there for me. If I focus in on the drumming from earlier days, I don't think WOW! Those drums are so incredible!! And I don't do that now either. I just don't really think that PJ is a big drummer's kind of bad generally, and none of their drummers have really been super duper A+ drummers. I reserve that kind of status for the likes of John Bonham with Led Zeppelin, where there are 20 minutes drum solos that fucking blow your mind. I think a drummer has to be that good before I really start paying attention. Less than that, and I get a lot less picky.

Anyway, my favorite albums are all post-Dave A and I never saw him play live either, so he wasn't even in the running (and I also find him rather unlikeable, so that doesn't help). Jack came close to getting my vote - never saw him live either, but I just like those albums more than Dave's. Matt really just got my vote because he's so damned likeable and the one who has persevered, and I think of him as Pearl Jam's drummer way before thinking of the others. He's as good a drummer as any of them, IMO, but he may not be utilized as well as he could be, because I've seen him play for SG, and I found myself way more drawn to him specifically than I would ever be for a PJ show... then again, SG doesn't have Eddie, Jeff, Mike, and Stone in it... I think they may be distracting me. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Matt Cameron
    I would've voted Jack because NC and Yield are great studio albums. Jack was just weak live though.

Wouldn't have epic 3 hour shows without Matt. He kills it live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6dz_tfb4Rw
  • Options
    stratmadstratmad Posts: 208
    Jack Irons
    I just dig the heck out of Jack's drumming with Pearl Jam. Dave Abbruzzese was a monster also and made those early songs essential.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Jack Irons
    Jack Irons is my pick. I mean, the trash can lid alone has to count for something, right? Haha! But seriously, Irons is amazing and that's said with no disrespect for the others who are great in their own right too. Also cool, the fact that Neil Young said of Irons that he is "unbelievable" and on "Mirror Ball" he "played his ass off on every take at every session," and also said, "I can't say enough good things about him". Watch Irons on Letterman when PJ played "Hail Hail". Amazing!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    Dave Abbruzzese
    I loved the "crack" of the drums with David A. Totally different sound. It just seems so watered down with everyone else. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    Dave Abbruzzese
    Shawshank said:

I loved the "crack" of the drums with David A. Totally different sound. It just seems so watered down with everyone else. Just my opinion.

Agreed. I love listening to the boots from the early 90s with Dave A. Bummed I never got to see them live with Dave behind the kit
  • Options
    Jack Irons
    Matt plays way too fast.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Jack Irons

Matt plays way too fast.

That reminds me of something Mitch Mitchell once said in retrospect to his playing with Hendrix and The Experience. He said something about playing too fast and trying to add too many fills. But he was great anyway and he was great to watch.

I like Matt's playing a lot but I guess the main thing I like about Irons is that to my ears he has a more unique style. But it's drumming, what do I know? The fact that anyone can simultaneously do four different things with their hands/arms and legs/feet blows me away!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    edited August 2015
    Matt Cameron
    If they wanted Matt to be slower he would play slower. Plus songs that are often complained about being too fast, GTF, Corduroy, SoLAT etc., the tempo is already set by the guitars. The band just plays faster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-047HonCm4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHF6qGMXWio
    Post edited by Smellyman on
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Jack Irons
    Bump. Interesting thread. Seems like Matt's run away with the crown!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,840
    Matt Cameron

I'm surprised that you as a drummer prefers Dave. I hate his style but everyone has their opinion. He was known to be sloppy and have difficulty staying in time. Technically speaking, Matt is easily their best. He is a beast. None of the others could ever play the shows they do now.