Options

Tour de France 2016- SPOILER ALERT

Comments

• Options
    PJGirl321PJGirl321 Posts: 377
    FrankieG said:

Team Time Trial starts in 10 minutes!! Tejay going off at 10:40 am EST

Tejay came close but still needs a few seconds to get the yellow jersey. Would be very cool to have an American in yellow in Paris especially in a year when there are only 4 in the Tour.

Sad though about Ivan Basso getting a cancer diagnosis. Sounds very treatable so hopefully all will be OK.
  • Options
    RiverrunnerRiverrunner Posts: 2,419
    Very bad about Basso. I guess the crash was a good thing as it lead to diagnosis of the problem. Too bad he had to drop out of the Tour for cancer treatment. Hopefully it was caught early enough for him to make a full recovery.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    been out of touch for 4 days. need to get back to the tour. the hills start today? :confounded:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

been out of touch for 4 days. need to get back to the tour. the hills start today? :confounded:

The hills along with drama - doping accusations for Froome, demotion for Nibali from team leader, and Contador feeling the effects of the Giro once he hit the mountains.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    ]Kwiatkowski's Strata Data - 63 mph going down back side of the Tourmalet - Frikin insane

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    g under p said:

]Kwiatkowski's Strata Data - 63 mph going down back side of the Tourmalet - Frikin insane

Peace

That was crazy! A couple of them got up to 107km per hour (64 mph). I can't imagine!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
  • Options
    PJGirl321 said:

imalive said:

The hills along with drama - doping accusations for Froome, demotion for Nibali from team leader, and Contador feeling the effects of the Giro once he hit the mountains.
    I didn't hear about the doping allegations.....but he is riding like Lance used to do :no_mouth:

if he gets popped, maybe Tejay wins!

Contador needs some of that "tainted meat."

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

PJGirl321 said:

imalive said:

I didn't hear about the doping allegations.....but he is riding like Lance used to do :no_mouth:

if he gets popped, maybe Tejay wins!

Contador needs some of that "tainted meat."

Froome: http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/froome-what-else-is-a-rider-a-clean-rider-supposed-to-do_378153

And then of course...when all else fails let's taint the bike: http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/07/news/froome-driven-to-distraction-by-motor-bike-claims_378474

Barring any unforeseen circumstances I think the podium in Paris is set now. I would love to see Tejay win especially since the US is so under-represented this year. (Plus he is a good and genuine guy). Nibali may move up a few spots, but I think he is in a bad place mentally this tour. I can't imagine dealing with Vino is any fun. He seems like a jackass. Contador -- it's a recovery issue. You can't win the Giro and expect to have the same result in France. No body - pro or not - is capable of bringing their top end back so quickly. Unless of course he can get some "tainted meat."
  • Options

g under p said:

Peace

That was crazy! A couple of them got up to 107km per hour (64 mph). I can't imagine!
    These speeds are consistent with this level of riding. I'm a lowly Cat 4 woman racer and can hit 45+ descending in a road race. (and I'm cautious). I know a lot of amateur guy racers who can hit 60 in a descent.

For descending, check this out: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB12268843614978254751404581042321720914358

I want to see the power numbers from these climbing stages and sprint finishes. That's the fun stuff.

Fabian #'s from a Flanders win. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_OXoBbKv5c
  • Options
    Great win today! Love it when a young dark horse emerges. And he got Sagan. Sagan stuck on his wheel but could not beat him at the line.
  • Options
    I've hit 50mph going down a bluff locally, with my old heavier steel bike - can't do it with my titanium Serotta. I've also descended a mountain in the Alps and it was much different - the switchbacks were a killer - lucky for me that no tour buses were coming up as I was going down. Disclosure: I do not race bikes except in triathlons.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 said:

Great win today! Love it when a young dark horse emerges. And he got Sagan. Sagan stuck on his wheel but could not beat him at the line.

Of course, Sagan is young. It doesn't seem that way because it feels like he has been around forever. I feel sorry for him because Tinkoff is his boss and he is an asshole.
  • Options

PJGirl321 said:

Of course, Sagan is young. It doesn't seem that way because it feels like he has been around forever. I feel sorry for him because Tinkoff is his boss and he is an asshole.
    Sagan may be on a new team next year. I'm sure he has options with his talent.
  • Options
    if someone could conceal a motor into a bicycle, that would be quite the technological feat!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    why, when a dropped breakaway rider gets caught, can't they ever seem to at least get in line with the peloton? :confused:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Jens' twitter handle is thejensie :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    the camera technology of this is so much better than it used to be. Wow!!!!!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

if someone could conceal a motor into a bicycle, that would be quite the technological feat!

They accused Cancellara of this in 2010, He said, "I am the motor." :clap:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/cancellara-calls-motorized-bikes-claims-stupid-as-uci-looks-at-scanning-bikes_119452
  • Options
    imalive said:

Jens' twitter handle is thejensie :lol:

He retweeted me 2 weeks ago. :blush:

• Options
    PJGirl321 said:

imalive said:

They accused Cancellara of this in 2010, He said, "I am the motor." :clap:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/cancellara-calls-motorized-bikes-claims-stupid-as-uci-looks-at-scanning-bikes_119452
    PS: They call it "mechanical doping" :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2015

I've hit 50mph going down a bluff locally, with my old heavier steel bike - can't do it with my titanium Serotta. I've also descended a mountain in the Alps and it was much different - the switchbacks were a killer - lucky for me that no tour buses were coming up as I was going down. Disclosure: I do not race bikes except in triathlons.

A heavier bike and heavier people (not saying you are heavy) also can allow for faster descents too. I am about 125lbs race weight and my bike weighs about 15-16 lbs., so makes a difference too. I have never ridden in Europe and my road races are generally in NY state. So not many switchbacks in our races. I am a cautious descender. I've seen too many crashes. Just last week, we had a crit in NJ and the course had a slight descent. The whole loop was only .6 mile. 4 women in the 123 field ended up in the hospital from that slight descent. Awful.
  • Options
    PJGirl321 said:

A heavier bike and heavier people (not saying you are heavy) also can allow for faster descents too. I am about 125lbs race weight and my bike weighs about 15-16 lbs., so makes a difference too. I have never ridden in Europe and my road races are generally in NY state. So not many switchbacks in our races. I am a cautious descender. I've seen too many crashes. Just last week, we had a crit in NJ and the course had a slight descent. The whole loop was only .6 mile. 4 women in the 123 field ended up in the hospital from that slight descent. Awful.
    We don't have switchbacks around here either (except on mountain bike trails). Terrible about the crash - just confirms my decision not to race bikes, except in triathlon, which is totally different. I don't enjoy riding in a fast competitive group. Would rather race my own race. I'm not a good rider anyway. Running is my best discipline. Swimming is the worst. I'm just an average rider in my age group. Speaking of crashes on descents be sure and watch today's stage of the TDF.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    No matter how one feels about a rider or riders none of this kind of fan behavior belongs in the sport...

Porte pinched in the face...urine thrown in another rider's face...
    http://www.bbc.com/s...ycling/33581524

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    well, crap :bawling:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Sad news today.
  • Options
    damn :tired_face:

never thought I'd say it, but I'm damned tired of hannah (and her horse)

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    better pic. take that, you wuss soccer players!

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Hubby and I are watching the tour and I almost asked him if he was tired of Hannah yet. I love horses, but I am really really sick of Hannah and that damn horse with the dirty knees.
    imalive said:

damn :tired_face:

never thought I'd say it, but I'm damned tired of hannah (and her horse)

• Options
    is it just me or are the circa late 80s oakley factory pilot glasses back :tired_face:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    kinda like last year....wire to wire (almost)?.....would like to see some drama but I think the podium is set.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16