Options

25 Years of Tomorrow Kickstarter Campaign has been funded! :) Lots of signed Ed & Pearl Jam goodies!

Comments

• Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    edited August 2015
    mmearhoff said:

I scored the clear EV signed drumhead. Looking for the a signed Backspacer album, I have cash and lots of trades including the EV black Zippo.

Did you score the guitar too. That's NICE...
    Please drop some pics here when you have them on your wall.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,852
    Ordering extra copies and production update!
    Posted by Tom Tomorrow

Hello backers!

The pre-order page is now live. If you asked about the possibility of ordering additional volumes, I'd encourage you to go place a pre-order now—that way you're guaranteed another set. Also, the level of interest in pre-orders over the next few weeks will help us determine how many copies to print over the Kickstarter totals. The link is here: https://25-years-of-tomorrow.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

I've been working hard on getting the book wrapped up. Possibly a little too hard—between the book and my cartoon deadlines, I've been pulling 15 hour or more days without a break since the campaign wrapped up. But it's a short-term thing—I'm trying to get the book mostly locked down before I head off with my family on vacation next week. I'm looking forward to getting away from the desk. I hear it's summer out! I'd like to check this out for myself.

The bane of my existence with this book has been duplicate cartoons. Especially back during the 90s, I would sometimes syndicate work out to my weekly newspaper clients that had initially run in The Nation or The American Prospect, which required me to reformat the original work for the proportions of my syndicated strip. And what that meant was that I would have the same cartoon, in two different formats, with two different file names, which might have even run in different years.

Also, in order to make these volumes as complete as humanly possible, I had to refer to a lot of different sources, especially for the first volume, which is mostly pre-digital work. I had scans of some of that work, stacks of unsorted originals, and my own previous books to refer back to. As a result, I'd sometimes end up with a cartoon that I'd pulled in from two different sources in different spots in the layout. I tried my best to catch these, but when you're scanning through thousands of blackline cartoons, it's easy to miss a couple. Fortunately, the guy who's proofreading the book for me came up with a brilliant solution: have someone transcribe the first line of every cartoon, and then alphabetize the list. Bam! Problem solved. My wife was kind enough to take a few hours out of her own work schedule to make the transcription using her voice recognition software, and we caught the final few duplicates (I hope).

But then there's the opposite problem—cartoons that I accidentally left out! So I've also been cross-referencing the layout comps against files on my hard drive, and against my own earlier books, making sure every individual cartoon is included. Using the second method, I did find three or four cartoons that had somehow been misfiled or misnamed on my hard drive. In a couple of cases, I still have no idea where the original file is, but was fortunate enough to have a high-res copy in the files for a previous book. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

And of course, every time I find a duplicate or a missed cartoon, it means that I have to tear up the layout to compensate. That's been fun! It's getting hard to find something to fill in a newly-opened hole when the point of the book is that it already has everything in it.

Anyway, I'm working hard to try to make sure that this book is as complete as I can get it, but I'm almost certain there will still be some cartoon somewhere I somehow overlooked, even after all of this. And it will probably be the one special cartoon that you've been waiting for years to read again! I apologize in advance for my abject failure

This is probably the last you'll hear from me for a few weeks, but rest assured, progress continues apace. I've also found a local tattoo artist whose work I like, but that's going to have to wait a little longer—I have to live with whatever decision I make there for the rest of my life, so I want time to finalize a design and sit with it for awhile.

Finally to reiterate—if you want extra copies, and are in a financial position to do so, please do go ahead and pre-order now:

https://25-years-of-tomorrow.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders.

It will really help us figure out how many of these things we should print! Given that each individual set will weigh 15 pounds, I don't want to end up having to rent warehouse space to store literally tons of unsold books.

And thanks again to every one of you for helping me to make this ambitiously crazy dream a reality in the world. I'll check back in with you in a few weeks (hopefully feeling tan, rested and ready).

Dan
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Is this where the merch nerds are hanging these days? Haha! Awesome stuff guys!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    Just in case anyone was worried like me, I wrote Tom Tomorrow/Dan to ask if he could make sure the signed Backspacers were sent in a separate box from the book. I just didn't want to get that signed record all mangled. He replied quickly with "not to worry". I'm sure they will send all that type of stuff separate or packed safely. Sigh of relief.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,432

Just in case anyone was worried like me, I wrote Tom Tomorrow/Dan to ask if he could make sure the signed Backspacers were sent in a separate box from the book. I just didn't want to get that signed record all mangled. He replied quickly with "not to worry". I'm sure they will send all that type of stuff separate or packed safely. Sigh of relief.

Glad you got a response, I asked awhile back and didn't get one. Good to hear he's on top of it.
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
  • Options

Just like the Ed signed goodies too. They won't be shipped together with the book.
  • Options
    Hi All - Just found this thread. I purchased one of the Milton Keynes used tambourines. Feel fortunate to have been able to get it. My wife is very cool. Does anyone know when the items will be shipped? I saw the post about everything arriving before Jan '16 but was wondering if there was a more specific date floating around. Would love to see pics of what everyone got once received.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    They havent asked for our shipping address yet right?
  • Options

Dan has only asked for address to ship signed drumhead and maybe tambourines as far as I know.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Thanks brother
  • Options
    Has anyone received any of the PJ items? I haven't seen anything or gotten tracking info.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,048
    JD274244 said:

Has anyone received any of the PJ items? I haven't seen anything or gotten tracking info.

Still too early
  • Options
    One of the things I hate about Kickstarter is that all rewards ship at the same time, which is generally once the project is completed. So even though the signed items are available today, you have to wait until the book is done until it ships. And the January date is an estimate. If he gets delayed, it may be longer.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited September 2015

One of the things I hate about Kickstarter is that all rewards ship at the same time, which is generally once the project is completed. So even though the signed items are available today, you have to wait until the book is done until it ships. And the January date is an estimate. If he gets delayed, it may be longer.

That's the best way to do it though. Because say something terrible happens that prevents this project being completed and all the money has to be refunded? I mean, it would have to be catastrophic at this point obviously, but still, better safe than sorry.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Dan has only asked for address to ship signed drumhead and maybe tambourines as far as I know.
    Yep. Tambourines too. :)
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    I gotta say, I got on just for the autographed backspacer and no real interest in anything else....

I have been receiving the subscription from Tom Tomorrow and his advanced comic run. I have really enjoyed his work/banter and now I am actually looking forward to receiving the book too.
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

I gotta say, I got on just for the autographed backspacer and no real interest in anything else....

I have been receiving the subscription from Tom Tomorrow and his advanced comic run. I have really enjoyed his work/banter and now I am actually looking forward to receiving the book too.

Yes, he's beyond witty and clever. I look forward to the email each weekend
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,525
    Pretty sure it was Dan/Tom who walked right by me at Global Citizen. I should have asked him about these items. Was too distracted.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841

MayDay10 said:

Yes, he's beyond witty and clever. I look forward to the email each weekend
    +1
  • Options
    The signed EV rewards will be arriving before January. Check your Kickstarter message. :)
  • Options
    :bring_it:
  • Options

The signed Backspacer records will probably be ship together with the 2 Volumes in January.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Post edited by demetrios on
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    really looking forward to this book
  • Options
    Too bad these won't be here for Christmas... Going to be receiving couple extra books that would have made nice presents to family.
  • Options
    PP193448 said:

Too bad these won't be here for Christmas... Going to be receiving couple extra books that would have made nice presents to family.

well you certainly don't have to worry about shopping for xmas for 2016!
  • Options
    demetrios said:

The signed Backspacer records will probably be ship together with the 2 Volumes in January.

That's not what he said when I wrote him.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options

demetrios said:

Shipped earlier and separately? Like the signed ED goodies maybe? Would be great to receive before Christmas.
  • Options
    demetrios said:

demetrios said:

Shipped earlier and separately? Like the signed ED goodies maybe? Would be great to receive before Christmas.
    I don't know about earlier, that would be awesome. I asked him to please make sure not to ship the book in the same box as the record because the record would probably get mangled. He told me not to worry and that he was on it. So, I am assuming that they will come in different boxes, though I don't know if they will be shipped at the same time. Maybe someone else who ordered the lp could write him and report? I've bothered him enough. Also crossing my fingers for before the holiday!
    2022- Oakland Night 2