Options

The *~*~*~OFFICIAL~*~*~* 2021 March Madness Thread

Comments

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,106

Another great week of basketball. Down goes UK, Baylor, Kansas, Arizona, Va, etc. Glad my Gamecocks and Dukies were able to pull out wins. So ready for March Madness!

CLA was rocking tonight! Great game even if I did have UGa fans behind me. Sole possession of first place in SEC! You need to drop pulling for Duke though lol.
    Did you go to last night's game? That was a crazy one. If only we could've pulled off a win....
    Wasn't able to go last night. Watched it on TV though. Insane game. We played like absolute crap the first 30 minutes or so, making it an amazing feat to just get it to OT. You could tell in that 4th OT that both teams were just gassed and it was going to be a battle of which team could hold it together the longest. Thornwell had a game that should get him some votes for conference player of the year (although it will most likely go to Monk, just because he plays for UK). Hate that we lost, but as long as we can regroup and forget about it, I still like where we're at.
  • Options
    I can't believe we were still in the game after shooting 10% the first half. That's atrocious. I think Thornwell ended up scoring half or more than half of the team's points. I'm with you in that hopefully this doesn't affect our momentum. We can lose a few more games and still make the tourney.
    I'm through with screaming
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,202

I can't believe we were still in the game after shooting 10% the first half. That's atrocious. I think Thornwell ended up scoring half or more than half of the team's points. I'm with you in that hopefully this doesn't affect our momentum. We can lose a few more games and still make the tourney.

pretty amazing to have a guy break a record set by Pete Maravich. Thornwell with most free throws in an SEC game ever. I watched the overtimes on the SEC network. Fun game to watch. Those guys had nothing left in the 4th OT.
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Thornwell had 44 of the 86 points and also had 21 rebounds. Most points in a game by a Gamecock since 1979 and most rebounds since 1993.
    Post edited by markymark550 on
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pretty amazing to have a guy break a record set by Pete Maravich. Thornwell with most free throws in an SEC game ever. I watched the overtimes on the SEC network. Fun game to watch. Those guys had nothing left in the 4th OT.
    Yeah, it was a fun game for college basketball fan. I think I had about 3 or 4 heart palpitations though.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Love Thornwell. Can't help but think we would've won those games we lost during his suspension. But, not much we can do about that now. I felt bad for all the kids by that 4th OT. After the end of each OT I thought no way we can go to another OT. Nuts. Happy for Thornwell on beating that record but I wonder if he'd take a win instead. Probably.
  • Options
    tweedyfanjentweedyfanjen Posts: 881
    edited February 2017

pjhawks said:

Yeah, it was a fun game for college basketball fan. I think I had about 3 or 4 heart palpitations though.
    Just 3 or 4? :lol:
  • Options
    We probably would have beaten Seton Hall and Clemson had Thornwell been able to play. Both of those were 1 possession games, so it stands to reason that having your best player would help. The Memphis game, I'm not so sure. That was a game where everybody just played poorly and even his presence may not have been enough to overcome that.

And maybe it was more than 4. I just know that the last second shots were the most nerve wracking. :lol:
  • Options

We probably would have beaten Seton Hall and Clemson had Thornwell been able to play. Both of those were 1 possession games, so it stands to reason that having your best player would help. The Memphis game, I'm not so sure. That was a game where everybody just played poorly and even his presence may not have been enough to overcome that.

And maybe it was more than 4. I just know that the last second shots were the most nerve wracking. :lol:

Yep, I agree. We were pretty much out of the Memphis game from the get go. I was at the Shakey Graves show in Charleston checking my phone between every song. I have a problem. :lol:

From the comeback to all of the OT's I don't think I breathed once. Brutal!
  • Options
    Another great Duke-UNC game. If only Duke could play like that every game.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,475
    Arizona

a) has annoying fans

b) has god-awful uniforms (BB and FB)
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    hey -yo!

fuck BYU :smiley:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    look at this fucking dope.

30 years old, like most BYU players.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    gonzaga = overrated.

BYU = buncha goddam 30 YO returned missionaries.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wow what happened in that Gonzaga game? I turned it off in the first half since the Zags had such a huge lead.
  • Options
    how is Vanderbilt on the bubble with 14 losses? the bubble is bad this year but how can a 15 loss team have a chance to make it as an at-large? that's kind of ridiculous. the mid-major leagues are way down. the A10 will most likely still get 3 but the Mountain West and Missouri Valley are looking like 1 bid leagues.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

how is Vanderbilt on the bubble with 14 losses? the bubble is bad this year but how can a 15 loss team have a chance to make it as an at-large? that's kind of ridiculous. the mid-major leagues are way down. the A10 will most likely still get 3 but the Mountain West and Missouri Valley are looking like 1 bid leagues.

Vandy's strength of schedule is 3. They've got 5 or 6 top 50 RPI wins (notably beating Florida twice). I'm not necessarily saying I agree with them being in the tournament (too many conference tournaments yet to be played), but that's why.
  • Options
    I'm still tired of hearing about Clemson being next four out or whatever. They shouldn't even be in the conversation.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

Didn't Syracuse have 13-14 losses last year? Somehow they made it to the Final Four as a #10 seed.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Hope Nortwestern makes it for the first time.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Me too. I've always liked Chris Collins.

One week until March Madness!! Best time of the year for me. My boss doesn't even ask why I am taking off work part of the week.
  • Options

Me too. I've always liked Chris Collins.

One week until March Madness!! Best time of the year for me. My boss doesn't even ask why I am taking off work part of the week.
    they are a lock to make it and deservedly so. Collins has to be in talk for National Coach of the Year.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Thank you TCU!
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I hope Kansas chokes like that in the tourney. They usually do.
  • Options
    Duke had an amazing ACC tourney and played themselves up to a #2 seed more than likely. Gamecocks however shit the bed and will probably be a #7 or #8.
  • Options

Duke had an amazing ACC tourney and played themselves up to a #2 seed more than likely. Gamecocks however shit the bed and will probably be a #7 or #8.

At least we're still going to be in the tournament. First time since I was a junior at USC.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,290

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

At least we're still going to be in the tournament. First time since I was a junior at USC.
    True but we need a win badly.
  • Options

True but we need a win badly.
    We do. I think our problem the past 2 years has been familiarity with conference opponents. It's easy to have your flaws exposed the second half of conference play. Gotta hope that seeing a new team (hopefully teams) will get us closer to how we were playing from Nov-Jan.
  • Options
    I certainly did not see a lot of lights out shooting this weekend. I'd say a dozen different teams could win this thing.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16