Options

Jeff Ament on Pearl Jam's Next Album: 'Everybody's Got Stuff Stowed Away'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/jeff-ament-on-pearl-jams-next-album-everybodys-got-stuff-stowed-away-20141105

Late last month, Pearl Jam put Lightning Bolt to bed, wrapping a tour in support of the album that took them around the world yet again.

Now almost a quarter-century into their existence, Pearl Jam seem to have reached a new level of appreciation for how far they've come, the distinctiveness of their longevity and each other. That's evidenced by their interplay onstage, and the warm vibes exuded offstage by bassist Jeff Ament, who, at 51, still plays with the same youthful vigor he did years ago, but has also come to appreciate a little downtime now and then.

Days before the final show on the Lightning Bolt tour, Ament spoke with Rolling Stone about ending another chapter in the band's career, how he plans on spending his time away from the spotlight and what's next for Pearl Jam.

At this point, Pearl Jam has been around for almost 25 years. When you first started, did you ever envision it lasting this long?
I'll be honest, when things blew up around the second or third record, I thought it could implode at any time. It felt like it was sort of out of control. There weren't a lot of real conversations about what we were doing or why were doing it. It was all sort of by feel. We were winging it.

But there was some deep part of us that trusted one other enough to decide this was the right group of guys to do it with. That's been a huge life lesson in a lot of ways. Whether it's your relationship with your wife or your family or your friends, where do you draw the line that says "I'm done with this" or "I'm gonna persevere through this?"

It feels like it's all bonus time at this point, you know? And it makes you want to try harder. I feel like our last couple records are pretty strong, because we worked super hard on them. As long as we're in the room we might as well go super hard. Everybody's writing songs and everyone's super motivated creatively. As long as that's all still there, there's no reason we can't do it for a while.

Do you want to be like Springsteen or the Stones and still be doing it in your 60s and 70s?
Right now? No. I'm at the end of this tour and my knee hurts and my ears are ringing and I miss my wife and I miss my dogs. So right now, I gotta say I can't wait to not be out here for a while. But I'll get a couple weeks away and I'm sure I'll fall back in.

The time off is good. I can't think of a time in the last 10 years where I wasn't like [claps hands] "I can't wait to see the guys" after we've been away from it a couple months. You're curious. We don't necessarily stay in super-close contact when we're away from each other. When you get back together you're genuinely excited to find out "Hey, how are things going with your kids?" or "Let's hear your new songs." All that stuff. That's as much of a part of it as anything. The lifelong friendship part of it is more important to me than the legacy of the band at this point.

You guys are on the road a lot. Do you have favorite venues you like to play?
The place like we played in Moline the other night, those 10,000-seat arenas, the Joe Louis in Detroit that's like 50 years old, the Forum in L.A., places like that. There's something about those older basketball and hockey arenas. I don't know if it's the dust and the grime that deadens the room? Part of it is that the seats are sort of straight up in those places, so it feels like even the in far away seats you can see the faces of all the people like they're right next to you.

Madison Square Garden is always an amazing place to play. The Gorge if it's not 180 degrees is a great place. We haven't played Red Rocks in a long time; I'd love to go back there at some point.

The Lightning Bolt tour is wrapping up. Is that all the touring planned for a while?
Yeah, I think we sort of relish having nothing on the calendar, even if it's just for a couple months. I would guess we'll get through the holidays and then talk at some point after that and figure out what we're doing.

We went pretty hard this last year, so I think everyone is ready to take a break and just wash the dishes and change some diapers.

Is the band working on a new record at this point?
No. But I think everybody's got some stuff stowed away. All the stuff I've written recently is gonna go into the RNDM box with Joe Arthur. It's pretty easy for me at this point because we don't have kids, so when I'm home I'm tinkering in the studio all the time.

You've also been involved in the funding and construction of multiple new skate parks throughout Montana. How'd that come about?
It started for me like three or four years ago, when actually I made out a living will. There's an organization called the Montana Skatepark Association, and I was planning out that I wanted "X" amount of money to go to future skateparks in the state, and then I thought, "Well, why don't I just do that now? Why wait until I'm dead, you know?"

So in the back of my head I just said "I'm gonna give a certain amount of money to it over the next few years." I sat down with a map and sorta mapped out about 10 towns that I thought made sense and started putting feelers out. And from there it just sort of snowballed.

And these aren't rinky-dink little ramps. I've seen pictures; it's pro stuff.
It's dream-gig stuff. Growing up in North Central Montana the only thing we had was my parents letting me build a little ramp in my yard.

It's kind of not the normal way that you'd be philanthropic. It's not an obvious thing like giving to a food bank, which obviously is a place that's in need. We need to get kids outdoors and we need to get kids active. And some of these places like the Blackfoot Reservation where diabetes is kinda high you need to get kids out doing things.

And I love it. I've seen kids turn their lives around. It's usually a kid who's outside of the team-sport world, or maybe has a darker personality or doesn't fit in. Skateboarding ends up being something they latch onto. It sounds hokey, but finding a focus on something – whether its skateboard or playing your guitar – can be life changing.
|9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
|11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran

Comments

• Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    He's hoarding his stuff for RNDM? He's free to do what he wants with his songs, but boo!
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    "The lifelong friendship part of it is more important to me than the legacy of the band at this point."

"We haven't played Red Rocks in a long time; I'd love to go back there at some point."

LOVE those quotes! Yeah Jeff, 20 years is a long time... New Mexico will be 15 years, that's pretty long too. :) Come on back.

I love that they are still friends. I think they keep the band going because they know it's the right thing to do at this age. There was a Vedder quote a year ago about "It's life or death at this point. We want to keep on living." Something like that. Love reading stuff like that.
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    He's one childless badass muddah. Pop out a kid for eff sakes, Jeff and Jeff's wifey. SLAPPA DA BASS!
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Red Rocks!!!!
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 946
    Man, our boys are getting old, 'knees hurt, ears ringing'. Haha.
    Good to see he still brings it at every show though
  • Options
    SEACIDESEACIDE Posts: 410
    51?
    :)
    Guess I'm not as old as I feel but.....
    would love an acoustic tour of small venues a la EV solo shows :)
    Love is all you need.....
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    i'm more optimistic we'll see them sooner than later now.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I love Jeff's writing in Pearl Jam so it sucks to lose stuff to RNDM. The rest of what he said was cool though.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    The rndm stuff is good but I would love to hear the PJ version. This is what brendon obrien was saying drove him crazy. They have side projects that scatter a lot of good ideas that would normally be pearl Jam tunes
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,509
    Yes, mentions of Red Rocks and the Gorge are very exciting
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    "We haven't played Red Rocks in a long time; I'd love to go back there at some point."

THIS THIS THIS!!!!!
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    "Madison Square Garden is always an amazing place to play."

They haven't played here since the Garden has had it's makeover. Let's get it done!
    NYPJ
  • Options
    Thanks for all the hard work Jeff!!!
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    edited November 2014
    Great interview. Wonderful Jeff shared relationship between group and how they miss each other after a while. Oh oh oh and MSG GORGE and RED ROCKS. Yep he knows. Fk Jeff make all those venues happen. Come on we'll freakin be there with bells on.
    Thanks for sharing Jeff.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Articles like this are so awesome to read.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,461
    evsgjamm said:

He's one childless badass muddah. Pop out a kid for eff sakes, Jeff and Jeff's wifey. SLAPPA DA BASS!

Yeah! What he said.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    wall232 said:

They haven't played here since the Garden has had it's makeover. Let's get it done!

mwplum said:

I'm in for ALL 3 of these...
    PLEASE play these AMAZING venues in '15!!! :-bd
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited November 2014
    Can't wait for the RNDM album!! Can't come soon enough. Right now if I had to choose between a new PJ album and a new RNDM album I'd choose the latter. I just got a PJ album. Variety is the spice of life, and I LOVE that he and the rest of them spread their talent around (plus, I am also a Joseph Arthur megafan). :) He said RNDM "box". Did he mean figuratively or literally?? :-?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PorchgirlCOPorchgirlCO Colorado Posts: 1,375
    derbydave said:

wall232 said:

mwplum said:

I'm definitely with you, Dave...BRING IT ON!!!

:D
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...

Orlando 4/24/92 & 8/23/92, Miami 3/28/94, Ft Laud 10/7/96, Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Missoula 9/30/12, EV Jax 11/24/12 & 11/25/12, Chicago (Wrigley) 7/19/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Tulsa 10/8/14, Lincoln 10/9/14, Denver 10/22/14, Jacksonville 4/12/16, Greenville 4/16/16, Telluride 7/9/16, Boston (Fenway) 8/5/16 & 8/7/16, Seattle (Safeco) 8/10/18, Boston (Fenway) 9/2/18 & 9/4/18, Dana Point 10/1/21 & 10/2/21, MSG 9/11/22, Denver 9/22/22, Austin 9/18/23 & 9/19/23.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    PJ_Soul said:

Can't wait for the RNDM album!! Can't come soon enough. Right now if I had to choose between a new PJ album and a new RNDM album I'd choose the latter. I just got a PJ album. Variety is the spice of life, and I LOVE that he and the rest of them spread their talent around (plus, I am also a Joseph Arthur megafan). :) He said RNDM "box". Did he mean figuratively or literally?? :-?

If I had to choose between an RMDM record or a PJ one........that wouldn't take a moments thought.

Quite enjoyed the RNDM debut but it wasn't remotely close to a PJ record for me.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    and yes what a quality interview, think the interviewer asked the questions we are always wondering ourselves......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited November 2014
    It started for me like three or four years ago, when actually I made out a living will. There's an organization called the Montana Skatepark Association, and I was planning out that I wanted "X" amount of money to go to future skateparks in the state, and then I thought, "Well, why don't I just do that now? Why wait until I'm dead, you know?"
    This is probably the most important line I took from the entire interview! A damn good philosophy to live by, folks!
  • Options
    Jeff Ament is one cool cat. I agree about losing ideas to RNDM. I love listening to every one of his songs!

Red Rocks!! Now one of five on record as wanting to get back there at some point. Yeefuckinhaw!!!! Is Missoula the smallest venue they've played since RR? Or Benroya? 4 nights at RR in... 2016? Yes please!
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016
  • Options
    ShanKathyShanKathy Edmonton, Alberta Posts: 308
    "When my ears ring, my heart beats"
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    PJ_Soul said:

Pretty sure it was figurative. He could have said "bin" or "pile" or something like that.

And I agree with you. A new RNDM album with a small tour would be great right about now. I had a blast at the show in Chicago.
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238

Is Missoula the smallest venue they've played since RR? Or Benroya? 4 nights at RR in... 2016? Yes please!

Nah. They've played 2 smaller places in Chicago alone since then -- House of Blues and The Vic.

There must have been others.
  • Options
    LOVE JEFF and RED ROCKS
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    derbydave said:

wall232 said:

mwplum said:

Shut up Dave! I was gonna say something foreign but idk if somebody's watching me. =))
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,544
    edited November 2014
    pdalowsky said:

PJ_Soul said:

If I had to choose between an RMDM record or a PJ one........that wouldn't take a moments thought.

Quite enjoyed the RNDM debut but it wasn't remotely close to a PJ record for me.
    I actually might like Acts slightly more than I like Lightning Bolt (hadn't considered comparing them before... maybe they are at least equal in terms of how much I enjoy them). And I like Acts WAY more than I liked Backspacer. Otherwise, I like PJ better (of course).... but I don't want other bands I like to stop producing so that I can have more PJ. There is plenty of PJ in any case. :) And honestly, I don't think for a second that Jeff working with RNDM delays or takes away from future Pearl Jam albums. I think that is just paranoia. I think Jeff was really just saying that his mind is all on RNDM right now, not a new PJ album. Doesn't mean he's sapping his brain of all music just for RNDM, and once he's got that album done he's out of ideas, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'llridethewaveI'llridethewave Posts: 181
    edited November 2014
    "Nah. They've played 2 smaller places in Chicago alone since then -- House of Blues and The Vic.

There must have been others."

>>This + Jeff's RR comment make me hopeful. PJ, the CO Faithfull love you!!!
    Lollapalooza @ Great Woods 8-8-92~~CU Field House 11-26-93~~Red Rocks 6-20-95~~Randall's Island 9-28-96~~Randall's Island 9-29-96~~Columbia, Maryland 9-24-96~~EV solo Hartford, CT 6-18-11~~EV solo Albuquerque, NM 11-6-12~~ Denver 10-22-2014~~Fenway II 8-7-2016