Options

When Did Pearl Jam Fans Get so Old?

Comments

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Pearl jam has always been there for me. Pearl jam has been what I've turned to when times were tough and when times were good. Pearl jam was there when I graduated high school and college. Pearl jam was there on my wedding day. Pearl jam was there on the way home from the hospital after all three of my kids were born.

Pearl jam was there when I spent 6 days in the hospital after crushing my left hand. They were there in the following 8 months of surgeries and physical therapy. They were there when my grandpa died and when my high school friend and Indiana Highway Patrolman Scott Patrick was killed.

When did we become old? When I realized they have been there for 24 of my 36 years of life. I hope it continues for a long time to come.

You forgot to add that they were there for you when your wife broke the news to you about being a lesbian. =)) but as hedonist has said, very eloquent post my friend. :D
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    That's because oddly enough, Melissa Ethridge was playing on the radio!
  • Options

=)) =)) =)) you're another one that cracks me up Last12
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I dig Melissa, but must confess to a full-blown crush on KD Lang.

She, and her voice, entrance me.
  • Options
    steeler4lifesteeler4life Philadelphia area Posts: 405
    I will take it upon myself to bring PJ to young people. If anyone is younger than me on these boards, I would be shocked. I think I was born in the wrong decade...
    Philly 10/21/13 Seattle 12/06/13 "No Code" 10/17/14
  • Options
    iimagineiimagine Cleveland Ohio Posts: 492

Great, well written, post Demetrios!

I started listening to PJ in 1997. My first show was Oakland where they opened for the Rolling Stones. I was 47! I was old when I started but started to get younger as I listened.

My last show was in Trieste. That's 73 shows later. Still having fun. Still dancing, but to Infallible now. Yes, good wine.

Here's to 73 more!!! Keep Rockin!!
    "The Only Thing Worse Than Realizing Your Shortcomings, Is Not Realizing Your Brilliance"- iimagine (Gina) 2012
  • Options
    RD101189RD101189 A distant time, a distant space Posts: 454
    I'm same age as Mike and Stone and have been into PJ since 1991 when were 25. I glad to say this is the band that I've really grown up with over the past 23 years, through love, marriage, children, job changes, loss of family and friends, changes in our country, etc. I hope they keep releasing new music and performing live for another 24 more years. I hope to be there right with them.
    09/08/1992 - Phoenix, AZ
    07/08/1998 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/21/2000 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/19/2013 - Phoenix, AZ
    10/22/2014 - Denver, CO
    05/09/2022 - Phoenix, AZ
    09/22/2022 - Denver, CO
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    It dosnt matter how old you are, my mum and dad went with me to the three shows at Manchester uk and I wasn't embarrassed to be with them, they love pearl jam . I'm in my mid thirties and have followed pearl jam right from the start and its inevitable , we grow old and after Milton Keynes can say the band are still the best IMO in the world. They've worked hard to create a loyal fan base and now the fans are part of the band. Fans range from 15. Yr olds to like my parents in there 60's it shows no generation owns the music it's for everyone. After Manchester on 21st June 2014 my mum sat down and cried she died a year later of cancer, the band meant the world to her , age is insignificant.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited November 2014
    Well anyone in their 30s who feels embarrassed to be with their parents is an idiot.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I'm 25 and I love Pearl Jam..the youngns are out there.
  • Options
    And I hope younger fans keep on coming and increasing. The best crowds by far are a good mix of all ages (over 14 or so anyway... I certainly don't want rock concerts to be stuffed with young kids).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    PJ_Soul said:

Well anyone in their 30s who feels embarrassed to be with their parents is an idiot.

OR incredibly sheltered. Sometimes when people have kids young their kids don't always understand that life is short and they take their parents for granted, cuz they don't understand that their parents won't always be around. A friend of mine is like this, I've had to smack him a few times cuz of stupid shit spoken out of that ignorance.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:

Made me smile with this. Earlier I wrote something very close (scarily-similar!) and draft-saved.

I think when we come to appreciate our parents, embarrassment vanishes.

cydonia, it is so fucking cool and precious to share music - any genre of it - with our parents.

It all stays, always.
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 998
    The best thing about being a PJ fan & growing old we have done it with dignity & grace just like the band
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    Do not regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many.

~Author Unknown
    2003--Cleveland. 2010--Columbus. 2013--Wrigley, Oakland. 2014--Cincinnati
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Keep it down and get off my lawn!
  • Options
    BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 276
    I started to appreciate my parents when I became their age. I am 36. I was 16 when my parents were 36. I know my parents at my age - so I relate - and I appreciate them more now that I am them. I mean, my son is 6 vs. 16 but the sentiment is the same.
    And I got into Pearl Jam at 13. At 36, I do see the crowd being my age. And it's humbling to know I've loved the band that long. And that they're still this good. I hope I'm still feeling old with my other fellow old fans at 46.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I love PJ,but the edge this band had in our youth is not resonating with or have the same relevance with today's youth.Sure there are some who"get it" but I'm inclined to think that PJ def appeals more to us Gen xers.As we mature,the band matures and both of our tastes become more refined.The super wild hanging from the rafters,Rebellious Eddie has calmed a bit and is the same age as a few of the younger fans grandparents.Its only natural to think the demographic divide will continue.Same can be said for DMB,Petty,Aerosmith,Van Halen,Etc.
    I believe bands like Foo Fighters and Linkin Park are the exception where there is still a huge younger fan base and new singles are met with not just fan excitement but full blown radio/SiriusXM saturation on and across Multi formatted stations.just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    ham_on_ryeham_on_rye Indiana Dunes Posts: 205
    Lucky for me I have a 19 year old daughter to let me know how old/embarrassing I am L-)
    When I tell her anything about PJ I get no eye rolls and I caught her telling her friends about my love for the band. She isn't horrified so either I'm not old or it is cool to love PJ at my age. Dancing in public with her around... that's another story :-q
  • Options
    I actually saw a lot of younger people at the Vancouver 2013 show. It was a pretty solid mix of ages. Same with Missoula 2012, since that show was on a university campus.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    I am 51 and my son is twenty three,we go to every PJ /ED tour down here in Australia and have done since 2003 and are proud to say we are up there with most die hards,how can you not be ,it's PEARL FCKN JAM,so I guess i am up there with the all the other fossil's,but I am only as old as the best band on the planet in front of me .

OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER,YOUNG ENOUGH TO DO IT AGAIN✌️
  • Options
    Found pearl jam In university listening to alive and Black. Only thing is My university started in 2007. Age is just a number, conforming to your age makes you old.
  • Options
    shadowcastshadowcast Posts: 2,178
    Crowd seemed full of life at the two shows I went too. Moline & Milwaukee.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    when 1991 turned in 2014. where the fuck did the 2000s go? still remember Y2K. crazy how time flies when you get older.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,172
    rr165892 said:

I love PJ,but the edge this band had in our youth is not resonating with or have the same relevance with today's youth.Sure there are some who"get it" but I'm inclined to think that PJ def appeals more to us Gen xers.As we mature,the band matures and both of our tastes become more refined.The super wild hanging from the rafters,Rebellious Eddie has calmed a bit and is the same age as a few of the younger fans grandparents.Its only natural to think the demographic divide will continue.Same can be said for DMB,Petty,Aerosmith,Van Halen,Etc.
    I believe bands like Foo Fighters and Linkin Park are the exception where there is still a huge younger fan base and new singles are met with not just fan excitement but full blown radio/SiriusXM saturation on and across Multi formatted stations.just my 2 cents.

Petty and Aerosmith kind of landed two different generations. They both sprung up in the 70s with huge albums, then had a resurgance in the late 80s and early 90s. Tom Petty released what I considered to be his best album 18 years after his first album (my favourite Tom Petty album is wildflowers). Aerosmith was similar. They dissapeared for a while and came back with three strong megapopular albums in the late 80's/early 90s (Permanent Vacation to Get A Grip).

PJ has been different. They soared to popularity very quickly.... but after No Code they kind of leveled off (in terms of popularity), so their success has been fairly consistant... but they've never experienced a resurgence in their careers like Aerosmith/Tom Petty did.. where there music got super popular with a completely different generation than their first albums.

I'm not sure where I'm going with that except I moderately disagree with your statement. PJ's fans seem mostly from Gen X, where Aerosmith/Petty captured Boomers and Gen X. I'm not sure I would blame it on PJ though. It's probably due to the lack of popularity in Rock Music. It's hard to have a resurgance when most of the kids have moved onto other kinds of music.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited November 2014
    Sure, I took my daughter to see Pearl Jam, (even from the back of the arena, she left feeling like she had a personal relationship with Ed...) but the kids nowadays....hmmmmft.
    I just went to a Halloween college electronic dance music concert/rave with the same college freshman daughter. Apparently, It's all about the bass yo. It was all EDM, the only "song" that I heard was Public Enemy's Don't Believe the Hype as the DJ's switched. I was like "now here's what I want you all to do for me..." At this Halloween party, I dressed up as "your completely disapproving dad", even though I was totally approving. I had at least 10 people ask me why I was there, as, at 48 years old, for sure I was the oldest person there by a huge margin. I was there because she asked me to go...it was a million times better than whatever it was I missed at the official "Parent's Weekend" held the week before.

Jay-Z said in the Made in America doc, "EDM, people are dismissing as a fad sort of like they did hip-hop, that I think is going to be a bit more sticky. I think it’s good music of the next generation, it’s their soundtrack, it’s their music they’re claiming as they own. They’ll buy hip hop and they’ll buy other music but they’re like “this music is ours.” Kid’s don’t want to listen to their dad’s music, they want to be on the cutting edge of something new, and I think this is something they can claim."

Factoring in the acceleration of time (the internet...) and adhd...it's like asking the children of the 80's and 90's to listen to doo-wop or the crooners of the late 40's...some of the enlightened may appreciate it but most couldn't, and don't, give a rats ass.
    Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I've been heavily into Pearl Jam since about a month before VS. came out. Q-101 in Chicago helped the obsession, you could say… They'd been playing the hell out of VS for weeks before it was available. I think I was a freshman in HS when it came out.

I feel privileged that the band I most enjoyed and identified with in high school is not only still playing music and shows, but is continually pushing the envelope, selling out shows and writing new and GOOD music.

I'm older, yeah, but now, when the band announces a show somewhere distant, I can travel there instead of pray I can see them locally. I remember trying so hard to get tickets to the band's 1995 show at Soldier Field and it had sold out well before I could get through. If I were this age in 1995, I would have found a way…

Here's to the next 25 years! I might need a walker then, but I'll still be rockin' out! ;-)
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

What's crazy is that the foos came out what, 3-4 years after pearl jam? Should basically have same following in age group, no?
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    Get_Right said:

Keep it down and get off my lawn!

hahaha...
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,172
    badbrains said:

What's crazy is that the foos came out what, 3-4 years after pearl jam? Should basically have same following in age group, no?

How popular were the Foo's with younger people before Wasting Light came out? For me Wasting Light was kind of Resurgeance Album. The Foo's came out strong with the S/T and Colour and the Shape... then they sort of started to fade out for a while. Wasting Light was a strong album and I think it brought in more fans (possibily a modern of example of what I was talking about above with Petty/Aerosmith experiencing a resurgeance later in their careers). Maybe it is possible for a rock band to have a resurgeance in the 21st century. The Foos definitely seem to be bucking the trend. I'm enjoying the new HBO documentary series a lot.