Options

When Did Pearl Jam Fans Get so Old?

Comments

• Options
    This thread makes me angry! I am going to hit you all with my cane!! 8-X
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,192
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Because

Beatles fans then:

and Beatles fans now:

:))

That's just how it goes I guess! ;)

in the second picture
    Looks like the one lady on the left just died right as the picture was being taken.
    HALTS MAUL LoLo u fucken crack me up bro! =))
    ditto

I guess we are just a couple of PAPPANASES

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

This thread makes me angry! I am going to hit you all with my cane!! 8-X

Who u kidding, you won't even REMEMBER this thread old timer! =))
  • Options
    There was a great line in Clueless I think:

" So the way that I think about the Rolling Stones is the way my kid will think about Nine Inch Nails?"
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I can't wait until pearl jam is in their 70's playing shows. I'll be in my 50's and turning my hearing aid down.
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited October 2014
    lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Because

Beatles fans then:

and Beatles fans now:

in the second picture
    Looks like the one lady on the left just died right as the picture was being taken.
    =)) I second Badbrains,
    funniest comment I've read on here in a while.
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Because

Beatles fans then:

and Beatles fans now:

in the second picture
    =)) I second Badbrains,
    I just re read it again. And I fucken laughed my ass off again. LoLo is 100% pappanase =))
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,626
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Because

Beatles fans then:

and Beatles fans now:

in the second picture
    =)) I second Badbrains,
    I just re read it again. And I fucken laughed my ass off again. LoLo is 100% pappanase =))
    I am still chuckling over it, lol. She really does!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Because

Beatles fans then:

and Beatles fans now:

in the second picture
    I thought she had gas...
  • Options
    courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    Hahahaha, what? I always get I'm too young to listen to PJ. Pisses me the fuck off.
  • Options
    deenieskateeniedeenieskateenie Australia Posts: 22
    edited October 2014
    I feel like I've just found my long lost family since I've joined the forum. You people speak straight to my heart and soul. I feel at home here. I've finally found people who love and appreciate these amazing musicians as much as I do. I have friends who are into them, but not like you guys. It's like I've found something I didn't even know I was searching for.

First time I heard PJ was back in 1993, I was 14. You do the math. I will be listening to these guys and rocking out to their tunes until I'm gone from this world, and even after - I've made it known to everyone that Yellow Ledbetter is to be the final song played at my funeral when the time comes. Haha

I'm in Australia so haven't had the pleasure of seeing then as often as others but so far I'm up to four times - 1998, 2006, 2009 and 2014. I've seen Eddie's solo show three times - 2011 and twice in Feb 2014. Every time they leave the country I sweat it out, waiting eagerly for the next visit. I'm a patient girl, I'm just bidding my time...

Post edited by deenieskateenie on
  • Options

I feel like I've just found my long lost family since I've joined the forum. You people speak straight to my heart and soul. I feel at home here. I've finally found people who love and appreciate these amazing musicians as much as I do. I have friends who are into them, but not like you guys. It's like I've found something I didn't even know I was searching for.

First time I heard PJ was back in 1993, I was 14. You do the math. I will be listening to these guys and rocking out to their tunes until I'm gone from this world, and even after - I've made it known to everyone that Yellow Ledbetter is to be the final song played at my funeral when the time comes. Haha

I'm in Australia so haven't had the pleasure of seeing then as often as others but so far I'm up to four times - 1998, 2006, 2009 and 2014. I've seen Eddie's solo show three times - 2011 and twice in Feb 2014. Every time they leave the country I sweat it out, waiting eagerly for the next visit. I'm a patient girl, I'm just bidding my time...

Shit! Welcome! Now go start a song request thread! I'm teasing. :D
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Pearl Jam keeps me young.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    badbrains said:

Thanks!

And maybe I will.... Haha
  • Options
    callen said:

Pearl Jam keeps me young.

Same, but I like getting 'old' with them too :)
  • Options

I completely agree, we all have aged together. We're lucky to have been alive when a band like this existed for us.

=D>
  • Options
    bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

PJ_Soul said:

Because

Beatles fans then:

and Beatles fans now:

in the second picture
    HALTS MAUL LoLo u fucken crack me up bro! =))
    =)) too funny! while the teenaged girl on the right tweets "Ewwww"
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • Options
    badbrains said:

=))

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    Pappanase for LIFE!!!
    I always go AWOL from here on the weekends.
    I gotta start checking in with you guys, I am missing too much fun.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Pappanase for LIFE!!!

Where u been LoLo, need my partner in crime!
  • Options
    badbrains said:

lolobugg said:

Pappanase for LIFE!!!

Where u been LoLo, need my partner in crime!
    I'm back in the game, baby!!
    let's start bumping the good threads!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    I'm in my mid 40s and couldn't be more comfortable in my own skin.I enjoy shows more now then when I was young and stupid.With age comes the wisdom and the means to do it differently.Now I can get very good tickets to any show I want,and travel wherever I want to go see my favorite bands.I can pre game with better food and drink and the whole experience is just classier if that makes sense.We still can party and let loose,we just need better proximity to the bar and restrooms.So I'm one that would not turn back the clock or live in the past for anything.If I want to feel young I will go to a Who,Stones,Floyd ,Eagles concert and that will even things out a bit.
    To qoute a concert shirt I saw at a Weezer show geared to the larger older fan demographic"If it's too loud-Turn it down".
    Now I get a rush out of sharing the experience and having my adult children join us for shows and good times.That is sooooo much more rewarding then the old days,as fun as they were this is still way better.just my opinion.
  • Options
    swtlewswtlew Posts: 71
    My mom took my older bros and sister to see the Beatles in 1964. I remember seeing the marquee at the International Amphitheater when my Dad and I dropped them off with me crying to go. My first concert was Jethro Tull in 1974 which was before I could drive. Have seen Zeppelin, the Who, the Stones, U2, REM, CSNY, Grateful Dead, Aerosmith et al when they were all still in prime form and all had long hair. More recent favs we never miss include NIN and Radiohead. My first PJ show was in 1994. I guess I was already old at that point; 34. Have not missed a tour since. Just attended Moline with my geriatric friends, all over 50, after having done a San Diego/LA road trip in November. I typically attend about a show a month. Not in the shape we once were but we can still jam through 3+ hour shows and get up to golf at 10 am the next day. We now just drink better alcohol. Don't worry about us you young whipper-snappers. We'll keep up when we want. And let the snarky kids who comment that "we don't get it" continue to think that. If they only knew now what we knew then. You may think we are too old to rock and roll, but we feel we are too young to die.
    I want to rock and roll all night, and part of every day. - M. McCready
  • Options
    swtlew said:

My mom took my older bros and sister to see the Beatles in 1964. I remember seeing the marquee at the International Amphitheater when my Dad and I dropped them off with me crying to go. My first concert was Jethro Tull in 1974 which was before I could drive. Have seen Zeppelin, the Who, the Stones, U2, REM, CSNY, Grateful Dead, Aerosmith et al when they were all still in prime form and all had long hair. More recent favs we never miss include NIN and Radiohead. My first PJ show was in 1994. I guess I was already old at that point; 34. Have not missed a tour since. Just attended Moline with my geriatric friends, all over 50, after having done a San Diego/LA road trip in November. I typically attend about a show a month. Not in the shape we once were but we can still jam through 3+ hour shows and get up to golf at 10 am the next day. We now just drink better alcohol. Don't worry about us you young whipper-snappers. We'll keep up when we want. And let the snarky kids who comment that "we don't get it" continue to think that. If they only knew now what we knew then. You may think we are too old to rock and roll, but we feel we are too young to die.

You were almost born at the perfect time to span that many great generations of music!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    @lolobugg‌ yes I was referring to hipsters in nirvana shirts sorry for the super late reply.

You know how I know we're old? Someone posted SASE in another thread without explanation and no one asked what the hell that means. THATs how I know I'm old.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

@lolobugg‌ yes I was referring to hipsters in nirvana shirts sorry for the super late reply.

You know how I know we're old? Someone posted SASE in another thread without explanation and no one asked what the hell that means. THATs how I know I'm old.

I thought the same thing.... that's hilarious!!!!

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    ponytd said:

... in many ways, a much better band. They're more technically sound and to me, put on a much better show.

So glad someone else thinks this. I think they're a much better band than they used to be.
    Growing old with them continuing to grow as a band has been an amazing experience. I can't speak to what the Who and Rolling Stones were doing 20 years into their careers but I guess I'd be surprised to learn they continued to grow musically the way PJ has. I wouldn't necessarily have said that after Backspacer but Lightning Bolt, and it's tours, have been a revelation.
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Wait, what's SASE? Such A Shitty Encore??? Hahahaha
  • Options
    GarasaurasGarasauras Ontario Posts: 231
    When I first saw PJ in 1992, I had hair one length midway down my back. I was in college and had found my band. Today I have no hair (kinda by choice..), and I'm settled in a career, still following my band.

A band like this aren't gaining as many new fans as they once did, or at least not at the pace they did in the early 90's. So yes the audience would appear to get older.. Obviously.

However in Detroit last week, I was sitting beside 2 college girls who were born after Ten came out. Nineties babies.. To them PJ are their classic rock heroes. And still, they are just Pearl Jam to us. Why should it be a surprise that we have aged 20 yrs since our first listen? It's been a good ride..
  • Options

When I first saw PJ in 1992, I had hair one length midway down my back. I was in college and had found my band. Today I have no hair (kinda by choice..), and I'm settled in a career, still following my band.

A band like this aren't gaining as many new fans as they once did, or at least not at the pace they did in the early 90's. So yes the audience would appear to get older.. Obviously.

However in Detroit last week, I was sitting beside 2 college girls who were born after Ten came out. Nineties babies.. To them PJ are their classic rock heroes. And still, they are just Pearl Jam to us. Why should it be a surprise that we have aged 20 yrs since our first listen? It's been a good ride..

Hell ya! That was me but in high school! Rock on brother! \m/