Options

*** Chicago I Fanviews 5/16 Here ***

Comments

• Options
    roninhackroninhack Posts: 5
    well the fan view:

first the basics

10c#:287XXX
    tickets:sec 111 row 1 seats 15-16 good view because we were just about midway back right above the floor(it would have been half court seats in a different config, mikes side. first time with fanclub seats.

now for the rest: ( i will probably bounce around a bit so stay with me)

awesome show, great rounding out of everything. I believe you call this the classics set.

Eddie making the reference to take down the Jordan retired number flag off the rafters so he could take it home was kinda funny.

Alive was awesome and probably one of the more intense moments of the night. the whole croud was into it by then. I loved at the end when they all hit the end and Ed fell right down. he was jumping around most of the night and early on during a solo he walked over behind the stage to check the crowd back there

I thnk i saw what was going on with Mike's guitar during indifference. he originally came out with an acoustic but wasn't getting any sound with it. him and the guitar tech messed around with it for a bit and then he came out with a different guitar, still wasn't getting any noise. Then the tech changed something with his wireless transmitter and that was the point when his guitar sprang to life.

Mike wqas definatly a guitar god last night though he was all over the place. jumping around getting the crwod around him bouncing. I know duing a few parts he just started spinning around.

Stone was feeling it as well he was moving all over the stage, and the neck bob started early.

I only missed Save you to go get rid of some beer but even then I could hear everything going on.

Anxiety runs high for tonight I think everything will rock though.

'
    Swami Love wrote:
    Wasn't able to go last night, but will be there tonight.

What was security like? Did they pat you down? Could you smoke in the arena?

They had the electro mag patons. nothing like other concerts.
    No smoking in the stadium, there was a smoking section but you had to go throught the one exit and stay in the fenced in area.
    I did smell some smoke though but the ushers were being kinda strict. aqnd with where i was it would have been a stupid thing to do.
    "So It's ok, do you want some more, I said YEAH
    You'll see Dragons after 3 or 4, I said YEAHHHHH"

Alpine 6/26/98 & 6/21/03 UnitedCenter 5/16/06 & 5/17/06 Grand Rapids *5/19/06 Milwaukee Summerfest *6/29/06 & *6/30/06
  • Options
    jlynchjlynch Posts: 29
    Loved the 2 Ironman teases in the extended solos.
  • Options
    I have never taken my camera to a Pearl Jam concert, but I am thinking about bringing it tonight. It is a small digital and I have a small carrying case for it. Did anyone take a similar camera last night and have any problems? I want to take it, but don't want the hassle of being told the United Center doesn't allow them or something since I will be taking a cab and will have no car to take it back to. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    pjdeadhead wrote:
    Last night was show 22 and I have definately been to some duds! The 6/03 show at the UC comes to mind, that may have been the worst PJ I have been to.

we were agreeing with they guys in front of us that the UC show in 03 was also the worst PJ show we'ver ever seen. Even compared to the ice bowl! And that was still really memorable.

Last night was played to perfection and yes agree on guitar levels for DTE and also SOLT
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    It should say on ticket that small cameras are allowed, you should be fine..

great show last nite - good to hear classics and the stuff from the new albumn rocked.. Sat sec 105 row 5 behind the control board, so I was standing right at stage level over those that were on the floor.. A little farther back than I would have liked, but really no one in front of me so plenty of room to rock.. My section seemed a bit tame compared to the section just to Mike's right.. those guys were rocking big time!

Overall great show, definitely moving slow today and a raspy voice!

Sure tonite will be another kick ass show - cant wait to get downtown for round 2!
  • Options
    BigIrishBigIrish Posts: 10
    I have never taken my camera to a Pearl Jam concert, but I am thinking about bringing it tonight. It is a small digital and I have a small carrying case for it. Did anyone take a similar camera last night and have any problems? I want to take it, but don't want the hassle of being told the United Center doesn't allow them or something since I will be taking a cab and will have no car to take it back to. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I saw a ton of cameras last night. Shouldn't be a problem as long you aren't bringing in a huge camera with an extended lens on it. Great show last night...can't wait for tonight's. Man, I need a nap!
  • Options
    BigIrish wrote:
    I saw a ton of cameras last night. Shouldn't be a problem as long you aren't bringing in a huge camera with an extended lens on it. Great show last night...can't wait for tonight's. Man, I need a nap!

Thanks much!
  • Options
    pjdeadheadpjdeadhead Posts: 71
    jlynch wrote:
    Loved the 2 Ironman teases in the extended solos.
    Sounded like War Pigs to me during Alive, but I was rocking out so hard maybe I confused my Sabbath songs!
    3/28/92 3/10/94 3/14/94 7/8/95 7/9/95
    7/11/95 6/26/98 6/27/98 6/29/98 6/30/98
    7/2/98 8/18/00 10/8/00 (coldest show ever!!)
    10/9/00 4/21/03 4/22/03 4/23/03 4/25/03
    6/18/03 6/21/03 6/22/03 5/16/06 5/17/06
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • Options
    inmytree29inmytree29 Posts: 77
    Ten Club: 305xxx
    Seats: Sec 111 Row 5

Hats off to me for predicting Release as the opener.

The band had a lot of energy the I didn't sense the same buzz from the crowd. It was not the greatest show ever but it was nice to hear some new songs live. Comeback was the highlight.
    Thinking if he can't sleep, how will he ever dream?

6/13/99 ;6/18/03 ;6/21/03 ;10/02/04 ;10/03/04; 9/12/05 ;5/16/06 ;5/17/06 ;5/19/06 ;5/20/06; 6/24/06 ;6/30/06; 8/21/08; 8/22/08
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    B_D_B wrote:
    that was kerry wood sitting side stage right.

as said before, great eneregy from both the crowd and the band. thought the setlist was a good mix, w/ a few gems for the hardcores.

i think it was before the second encore ed said "not sure where we have to be tomorrow night, but fuck 'em". pretty funny.

Kerry is actually pitching tomorrow..I am sure he will head to the DL because the loud music affected his ears and his equilibrium will be off. At least he has taste in music.
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    efrotenefroten Posts: 67
    10C seats, # 232xxx

Section 122, row 11, seats 5 and 6.

They really made up for my 4th row from the back of the floor seats in 2003.

Kick ass show, tonight will be better. Maybe less fuck ups.
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    Although some of the negative comments resonate, I found this to be a very solid show. Nothing really special about it, yet very very solid. I'm curious to hear the boot because the United Center has notoriously bad sound.

I have a mid 10c number (201xxx) and I learned from '03 that means mid-to-back floor seats, which absolutely suck at the UC. So I bypassed the 10c, overpaid for tickets, and sat in the club level equivalent to approx Row 5 on the floor. Ahh, the wisdom we gain about 10c tickets by going to the same venues. In Wisconsin, I know that 10c number will treat me more kindly. The floor at the UC is only good with a very high 10c number. Typically I arrive during the opening band and have my smoke break before PJ takes the stage, but I was blown away by MMJ and actually came in from the hallways and took my seat to enjoy it. So I echo those fans who are praising MMJ. They were a real pleasant surprise. (Reminded me a little of the Drive-By Truckers, who are here in Chicago Friday)

I love Release as an opener, but was a little disappointed since it was the same opener in '03. However, it was much better than '03 when Ed sounded like he should have been at home with some Vicks Vapo-Rub. After the that the first set was fairly standard, clocking in at about 90 min. on the button. I'm Open would have been more shocking if they hadn't just played it last weekend, but still a treat. The Even Flow jam seemed a little longer than usual - a good thing, and I was very pumped to hear Present Tense, I Got shit, and some others. But it was a fairly standard setlist, albeit solid. It was great to hear Black, which we didn't get in Chicago last time. The set ending Porch was fantastic, with a good long jam. I'd guess it maybe broke 10 min, but I doubt it was as long as the mind-numbing version in Albany.

Towards the end, the show got a little more unique, with highlights including the first Blood of the tour (version with Atomic Dog) and Indifference.

Maybe it's the United Center, but at times it did seem the band was sort of an auto-pilot going through the motions. They sounded great so I don't intend this as a rip, but outisde of Blood and Indifference I can't say anything really made this show special. It was a good length (just shy of 160 min), and absolutely clobbered their '03 United Center show. It just didn't really have anything real unique. A week ago the "I'm Open" would have floored me, and a three years ago the same can be said for the "Low Light", but since they've both been broken out now, they don't have the same "off the board" quality.

This was a very very good show. The energy was great. My only lament is that as an old fan whose seen many shows and listened to boots over and over and over again, I'm always pining for the unexpected. This show was heavy on the "expected", but solid nonetheless.

I'd say it's the second best show of the first 5 dates. Albany still in a class by itself, but this was the next best. And, while Albany sort of petered out at the end, the Chicago 1 homestretch was the best part of the show.

Great show ... just not too unique.
  • Options
    Nakedeye66Nakedeye66 Posts: 94
    efroten wrote:
    10C seats, # 232xxx

Section 122, row 11, seats 5 and 6.

They really made up for my 4th row from the back of the floor seats in 2003.

Kick ass show, tonight will be better. Maybe less fuck ups.

I just mentioned how I thought I was so smart getting club level to avoid being on the floor midway back. But your post proves that my tix would have been much better than that. Oh well ... just cause for more optimism at Milwaukee Summerfest.
  • Options
    blueredgrayblueredgray Posts: 25
    I thought the second encore made the show. Go and then Blood were awesome. Bow Wow Wow over and over during Blood. Also, Mike seemed really pissed off when his guitar moaned during Indifference. He shook his head and walked behind the amps to hide for a minute.

I'm Open goes right into I Got Shit (hope they keep them together on the boot).

Much better than the last Chicago show.
    2003 - Champaign (first show), Chicago, Uniondale, MSG II, State College, Alpine Valley; 2004 - Toledo, Grand Rapids; 2005 - Kitchener, London.
  • Options

Per the 10C sticky:

Cameras

-Small, handheld cameras welcome.
    -No flash in the first 20 rows.
    -No detachable lenses.
    -No professional still or recording cameras.
    -No sticks.
    -No video cameras.

BTW, I still saw plenty of FLASH in the first 20 rows, but how well. I did see security being dicks though, but only to people who were walking up as far as they could and standing in the aisle to take a pic.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,771
    Also, security was on the ball catching people using digital cameras to record video. Just a head's up.
  • Options
    tschav wrote:
    Also, security was on the ball catching people using digital cameras to record video. Just a head's up.

They warned the chick next to me for smoking, they said 1 more time and she'd get the boot.
  • Options
    Fatal SmileFatal Smile Posts: 111
    Blood into Atomic Dog, how sweet. I hope they pull that out in St Paul.

These setlists have been amazing. You all in Chicago are very lucky.
    CARPE DIEM!!

"Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more than this. Woh see the world."

"I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine"

"No need to be void, or save up on life. You got to spend it all"

Minneapolis 1998, St. Paul 2003, Alpine Valley 2003, Thunder Bay 2005, St. Paul 2006 I, St. Paul 2006 II, The Gorge I 2006, Hartford 2008, Mansfield I 2008, Mansfield II 2008, Chicago I 2009, EV Solo Minneapolis 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley I 2011, PJ 20 Alpine Valley II 2011, Wrigley 2013, Moline 2014, St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    The United Center is only a short walk from the pre party so we all head over around 7:00 PM. We took our seats just in time to see My Morning Jacket start their set. I like this group, their sound & songs. I first heard the song “Golden” a few years back on WXRT and went out and bought “It Still Moves” and liked it. So, after the tour was announced I bought “Z”. I knew most of the songs they played tonight and enjoyed hearing and seeing them live. MMJ was pretty much don't talk, heads down – rock hard.

*Set list: Anytime, ?, Golden, Wordless Chorus, Gideon, Dancefloors, One Big Holiday

*Set list from MMJ forum “beammeup”

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    tschav wrote:
    i don't know about that. i was on the end of row 2 in section 6 and i was recording video right next to three guards and they didn't say a word. they clearly looked at me while i was doing it. it was just from my digital camera, but regardless.

the show was good and bad. it's clear that ed looks at the setlist of previous shows when he makes them because this show had a ton of different stuff. i'm open into i got shit was really awesome. the first, like, 6 songs absolutely were amazing, but then the setlist got sort of fucked up and it stopped flowing well. the first encore didn't flow either, and the second was iffy. i'm not necessarily complaining, because out of context the songs were great to hear, but as a whole it was iffy. the crowd wasn't that great, i didn't think and they sort of seemed to respond to the setlist as i just mentioned. the first 6 songs were super loud, but then everyone sort of drifted off.

i'm hoping tonight will be better, which i'm sure it will be. if the soundcheck from last night was true about parachutes, i'm hoping we get that tonight. and inside job. the new songs sounded great. the older songs are starting to sound.. old, i think.

by the way, death cab for cuties drummer walked right in front of me on the floor. anyone else see him? jill walked by with olivia too.
  • Options
    edwho wrote:
    The United Center is only a short walk from the pre party so we all head over around 7:00 PM. We took our seats just in time to see My Morning Jacket start their set. I like this group, their sound & songs. I first heard the song “Golden” a few years back on WXRT and went out and bought “It Still Moves” and liked it. So, after the tour was announced I bought “Z”. I knew most of the songs they played tonight and enjoyed hearing and seeing them live. MMJ was pretty much don't talk, heads down – rock hard.

*Set list: Anytime, ?, Golden, Wordless Chorus, Gideon, Dancefloors, One Big Holiday

*Set list from MMJ forum “beammeup”

they did "the way that he sings" as the 2nd song. Fucking brilliant, they kicked ass.

great show.
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~
    There are a couple things you can pretty much count on when Pearl Jam takes the stage in Chicago and one of those is opening with Release. It just sets the proper mood for me and us I think. Next the boys deliver a block of new songs. I saw the band back in 1993 the week Vs. came out with 2000 other fans. 13 years later here I am again the first week of the new record, only this time with 20,000 plus in attendance. I love the new songs and live they just get better. From here my favorites were Low Light, I'm Open & I Got Shit. Seeing ‘I’m Open” live now completes No Code live for me...10 years later. I Got Shit and that period of work with Uncle Neil is always enjoyed by me. Unemployable is one of my favorite new songs and Daughter with W.M.A. tag is like ice cream and pie. Present Tense puts me back in that Release type mood again. Jeremy, Save You and Porch got everyone jumpin’, dancing and signing...if they weren’t already. Lots of one finger salutes during Save You by the band and audience.
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away was Ed solo acoustic with harmonica. It was just beautiful and the crowd helped Ed sing the chorus. Better Man kept us singing and helping Ed. Come Back yes, yes, Come Back! Mike’s guitar problems start. State Of Love And Trust I liked instantly after I first saw it performed live back in Reno in 1993. Black and Alive never get old for me. These are live classics and I like them closing the 1st encore.
    I found out last week my little sister did not own the PJ bible Vs. We corrected that boo, boo right quick. Driving to the pre party I got her review and well you know what her reaction was. AWESOWE! Go was AWESOME tonight too! Everything was fucking awesome tonight! Blood and Ed’s intense vocals were great. Indifference is back to that mood again, but this time it’s about to say goodnight. Indifference was done as a five piece…Ed, Stone, Jeff, Matt and Boom. Mike (as already described) was unplugged right about now, he watched the others sitting on a speaker with his useless guitar on his lap.
    The other thing I find PJ doing consistently in Chicago is covering The Who. With Mike plugged in again Baba O'Riley rip’s ahead. House lights up and everyone knows this concert is coming to a close. The closing statement is Yellow Ledbetter. I just can’t stand the thought of a last song, but tomorrow is another day.

See all you freaks at Chicago II and Summerfest, edwho
    ~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    so was there thousands of empty seats as some people on this board have suggested? from what i hear, all the seats except the top sections behind the stage were sold.

and how was i'm open???? better than hartford?
    WIDE OPEN!! Heavy "papering and tarping".
  • Options
    WIDE OPEN!! Heavy "papering and tarping".

LOL. the only seats available on TM in the last week were for behind the stage.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    In case folks were wondering...final total for Night One CCFA Fundraiser: $1,133.

Thanks everyone!!!

My favorite moment during the show was towards to end. Ed took a drink of wine, then spit it out on the floor...right in front of the front row folks...it almost hit a member of security.

The security member looked at his co-worker and help up two fingers saying as if saying, "He almost got me...this close".

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    swanny66swanny66 Posts: 6
    I haven't seen em since 91. I really liked the show. The set list was there to appeal to both the hardcore and casual/hits fan. Blood and Save You were my favorites. That being said, I thought the crowd was rather calm. Mostly standing and not really getting into the faster songs. Just my opinion. I would hate to say that a U2 crowd is more enthused.....but I am. And I was in a fanclub section. But with all the texting, camera photos, etc., I'm suprised anyone noticed PJ was on stage. Please folks....leave em at home for once! But PJ kicked ass.....crowd was lame.

And, the singing along gets a bit old to me. Trust me....the people around me couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
  • Options
    I thought the second encore made the show. Go and then Blood were awesome. Bow Wow Wow over and over during Blood. Also, Mike seemed really pissed off when his guitar moaned during Indifference. He shook his head and walked behind the amps to hide for a minute.

I'm Open goes right into I Got Shit (hope they keep them together on the boot).

Much better than the last Chicago show.

The sound was WAY better this time, thats for sure.
    twisted thoughts....

www.myspace.com/twistette

"Na-noo Na-noo!"
  • Options
    Addled23Addled23 Posts: 5
    I haven't seen Pearl Jam live a million times nor have I listened to all of their boots like many people on here... so for me the magic still remains, even when they do songs like "Even Flow" which... counting video play on MTV & radio play in the 90's as well as shows & listening to Ten... I have heard roughly a billion times. Maybe 2 billion times. :) So I'm probably not qualified to give any sort of review since I can only compare it to a handful of shows vs. 400 of them or something. But personally, I thought it was an amazing show.

Two of the people I went with, my little brothers, were at their first PJ show so their utter amazement at how good the band is live was also infectious. Overall, yes it had some flaws, but it's live music - if it wasn't flawed it would be a recording & they'd be doing Backstreet Boys type dance moves & we'd all be 13 year old girls. :) I just try to love the flaws & appreciate that they help make each show unique. It was a bit harder to love the less then brilliant acoustics of the United Center though. But having been to punk shows at a bowling alley lol, I know they could have been much worse.

Mike was a maniac last night, it was great to just dig him & the way he got into the music. They seemed to have a lot of energy & I didn't feel like they were going through the motions at all like someone said earlier. But like I said, I'm still easily blown away by them... I'm still able to stand there & become just completely blissful & high from hearing what I consider to be some of the best music in the world played live by some incredible human beings.

As for the set list, it didn't have the best flow at times but I thought it was great to hear some unexpected songs like "Blood" (which was awesome live), "I'm Open", & "Present Tense". "I Got Shit" is one of my favorite PJ songs & I had pretty much counted that one out of the running for the set list too so that was another one that was great to hear. "Release" might be a predictable opener but it's my fave for them to open with because I have a lot of emotional ties to their music (some of them quite painful) & that song to me is very cathartic to start with. The new stuff was great live, you could just tell from listening to the album that it would be - and it was. :) The usual suspects were also all great to hear, even if like I said earlier, it's all been done before a ton of times. Since my brothers were there for their 1st show I was happy for them to experience the brilliance of songs like "Alive" live & in person for the first time.

As Edwho said "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" was beautiful... it was one of the more magical moments of the night. "Baba O' Riley" was, as always, kick ass (or maybe it's just kick ass at the shows I attend, whatever, lucky me) - I love The Who & I love Pearl Jam so to meld the two makes me a happy girl every single time.

For me it was an exhausting exhilerating night & I'm sad I can't be there tonight but I have work issues that interfere with going to the 2nd night. However those work issues are paying for me to attend the Gorge weekend later this year sooooo I shall only suffer temporarily. :)
    Always always lurkin' never ever postin'...

http://www.myspace.com/dandelion323
  • Options
    Addled23Addled23 Posts: 5
    Did anyone else out in the smoker corral feel like we were being herded out there to be executed? Our group kept waiting for the snipers to appear in the United Center windows to take us out. :)
    Always always lurkin' never ever postin'...

http://www.myspace.com/dandelion323
  • Options
    evoevo Airdrie, Scotland Posts: 185
    that is an awesome first encore!, man i hope its that good when i see them!!
    Hail Hail