Options

*** Chicago I Fanviews 5/16 Here ***

Comments

• Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    I love my new camera but from 12th row not great zoom.

http://www.deadlinepublishing.com/

for 3 pics.
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    totally kick ass show. 194xxx and i had section 121 row 15 seats 3 and 4.
    Damn nice seats. posters sold out fast. 2 left when i got mine. I was shitting my pants. I am gonna get there earlier tomorrow to avoid that nerve racking wait in line. great setlist.

I was 2 rows ahead of you with my daughter. Same seats.
    twisted thoughts....

www.myspace.com/twistette

"Na-noo Na-noo!"
  • Options
    how was i'm open?!?!? spoken word?

He did the "i'm open" chorus part a ton of times, then I lost him, to me it sounded like he was changing it up to "I'm okay" as well so I thought maybe it was an improv or something. But it was most definitely NOT the exact version off the album. Hope that helps.

Also, the person that said Mike's solo was off on Evenflow is right, in my opinion. Even my girlfriend caught it. It wasn't for a very long time, but some of the notes sounded very much off. Needless to say the rest of his solos were spot on.

Not sure what happened on Indifference, I think a roadie ran into Mike's guitar and it made a very awkward sound. Funny.

I did get to see a lot of the side stage action, as my seats were frickin incredible. Ed was playing "Peek a boo" with his daughter at one point, I think during his smoke break on Evenflow. Too cute. His wife, actually KNOWS the words to the songs. I was very impressed seeing her totally into severed hand and singing along.

I think Ed cut his lip on a tambourine near the end of Baba. For some reasons he felt it would be smart to smash it over his head, and I swear he looked pissed, whiped off the BLOOD (get it?) and took a drink.

Now as far as the set......as mentioned before it had a bit too much of the early stuff, lots of Ten, some of VS, etc. So it did seem to be more geared to the regular fan as opposed to the hardcore fan who wants the gems. But they still played a lot of cool stuff. Lowlight was nice to hear, and funny seeing Ed read off the lyric book for it. I'm just hoping tonight we don't have to hear ALL of the same hit songs again. I just heard Evenflow, Jeremy, Alive, Black, Yellow Ledbetter, Betterman, Daughter, Porch, Release, etc etc. So tonight just mix it up a bit more and try not to play at least half of those songs. Just my humble opinion anyways. I don't expect them to play a show of all rare stuff, cause I realize not a lot of people would be into it. But we shall see.
  • Options
    I was 2 rows ahead of you with my daughter. Same seats.

I was in row 1 of that section. Too bad I guess we don't know more faces with the names. Although I did run into PLENTY of faces that were familar.
  • Options
    dthomas wrote:
    No I'm Open is like a short, melodic song now not the long reverb spoken word thing. It was neat but not awe inspiring.

oh and on the Yoko line he said something that when you're in your experimental phase your favorite beatle is Yoko. it was kind of a joke.

And eddie talked a bunch. nothing wrong with wine either. But for you worried he had a cup of "tea?" he was also drinking.

You beat me to the I'm open reply, at least someone answered it!
  • Options
    I was in row 1 of that section. Too bad I guess we don't know more faces with the names. Although I did run into PLENTY of faces that were familar.

Same here... thats one cool thing about the fan club and fans of PJ in general. You kinda start seeing the same people alot.
    twisted thoughts....

www.myspace.com/twistette

"Na-noo Na-noo!"
  • Options
    How was the atomic dog tag after Blood? I would have given anything to see that.
    11/95 San Jose; 9/96 Randalls Island; 8/00 Jones Beach; 7-8&9 2003 NYC; 10/04 Reading; 9/05 & 10/05 Borgata; '06 Irving Plaza; '06 Hartford; '06 Camden 1&2; E. Rutherford 1&2 '06; Vegas 7/06; Bridge School 1&2 '06; 2008 WPB, Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2, Boston 2, EV NYC 1&2 and NJPAC; 6/09 EV Philly 1&2; 2009 LA 3&4, 09 San Diego, 09 Philly 1-4, 2010 MSG 1 and 2, 2010 Boston, 2010 Hartford, 2010 Newark; Alpine Valley Sept 2011
  • Options
    OKmartyOKmarty Posts: 3
    evenflow82 wrote:
    250 feet away from the stage?!?!?

yeah, approximately. i couldn't really make out the expressions on anyone's face in the band. it was about 200-250 back, not upwards. i was almost at stage level.
  • Options
    dthomasdthomas Posts: 99
    very subtle. like a low growl. i doubt many people noticed it
    30+ Shows over 15 years
    http://www.fightingthesuburbs.com
  • Options
    chuck nevittchuck nevitt Posts: 225
    plattanz wrote:
    okay....

so my number is 153xxx....i've seen this band countless times since 96 and i have to admit, this show had to of been one of the worse shows i've gone too...

maybe i'm just growing tired of the band, but it just seems to me like these guys are going up there and doing the same motions they've been doing the past 15 years....does black or alive or even flow really have the same relevance or intensity it had to it 10 years ago?

my second pet peeve...why was ed really glorifying the fact that he "drank" two bottles of wine? who cares? (and two bottles of wine in two hours would put anybody on the floor...especially a guy who's no taller than 5'7") is it really wine?...

my third pet peeve.....who the hell makes out during a rock show? i'm sitting in my little section 1, 17th row seat, and around me i see couples consoling each other and kissing during the obvious songs like black and come back, but even during the faster songs like go...i mean for fuck sake, i felt like i was at a freaking aerosmith show...

finally, is anybody on this board or in this fan club critical of this band? its like this band has developed such a strong core fanzine that it really doesnt go out of its way to do something overly creative? why not be bold and make a double album? why not make an opera? do something different...sheesh....the sound is just the same...

in conclusion, i'm bored with this band...

usually dont post on here, but i have to respond...first off everyone is entitled to their opinion and i am fine with someone being critical as it doesnt happen enough on this board

however if your not in the band how do you know if a song is relevant or not...who know they might have played those songs the first time in chicago or have never played them in that order...we dont know

let ed drink ten bottles...HE IS A ROCK STAR...that likes wine...and in case you couldnt tell he did have a great buzz going on...a sober person doesnt smash a tamborine over their head...well done ed

make out sessions arent the bands fault...i saw it everywhere by me and you know what...i focused on the stage again...the reason we were there

overly creative?...creative to you is not creative to me...opear???...you might need to call this your last show...if i wanted opera id go see the three tenors...sound the same for you not for me

peace...hopefully your fanclub number is less than mine so i get closer
  • Options
    Same here... thats one cool thing about the fan club and fans of PJ in general. You kinda start seeing the same people alot.

Are you going again tonight?
  • Options
    pjdeadheadpjdeadhead Posts: 71
    Last night was a great show!!! A little heavy on the standards but, with the energy in that building last night, it was still very good! First off, I'm 0 for 22 as far as Footsteps go, but there is always tonight! I expected Release to open one of the two nights, since it seems to have become a Chicago opener. But you always know you are in for a special night when Release opens. The new stuff sounds great in person! Low Light was a nice treat, this was the first time I've seen it live. I could have done without I'm Open, I liked getting another first time song, but it just seemed a little out of place in the middle of the set. I've seen Corduroy probably about 15 times, but last night's might have been the best one! They fucking hit that song so hard! I Got Shit was awesome. Went out to the bathroom and beer during Flow (like I always do) and all the concessions stands on the 300 are closed!! Porch smoked!!! Black was great, as it always is. Alive, I don't care how many times I hear that song, it is still such a good song in concert. The second encore was great!! Please no Even Flow or Betterman tonight, enough already!!! I think tonights show could be one of those crazy nights! I will in the 100 level right on the side of the stage tonight. I should not be hard to miss tonight, I will be the big guy in the bright yellow Tea Leaf Green shirt. If you see me, free feel to stop and say hello!!

PS. I big thumbs down to section 308 rows 1-5! Way to stay in your seats until Alive!!
    3/28/92 3/10/94 3/14/94 7/8/95 7/9/95
    7/11/95 6/26/98 6/27/98 6/29/98 6/30/98
    7/2/98 8/18/00 10/8/00 (coldest show ever!!)
    10/9/00 4/21/03 4/22/03 4/23/03 4/25/03
    6/18/03 6/21/03 6/22/03 5/16/06 5/17/06
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • Options
    B_D_BB_D_B Posts: 3
    You beat me to the I'm open reply, at least someone answered it!

As far as the wine, Ed also poured two large cups to two friends/family that were on the side of the stage. He also tossed them one of the tambourines. I thought it was his brother but I couldn't tell.

that was kerry wood sitting side stage right.

as said before, great eneregy from both the crowd and the band. thought the setlist was a good mix, w/ a few gems for the hardcores.

i think it was before the second encore ed said "not sure where we have to be tomorrow night, but fuck 'em". pretty funny.
  • Options
    B_D_B wrote:
    that was kerry wood sitting side stage right.

as said before, great eneregy from both the crowd and the band. thought the setlist was a good mix, w/ a few gems for the hardcores.

i think it was before the second encore ed said "not sure where we have to be tomorrow night, but fuck 'em". pretty funny.

I don't have the best eyesight, I asked my girlfriend if it was Kerry Wood and she said it wasn't. The guy didn't seem as tall as Kerry and I thought he'd be at the Cubs game since they were playing last night. But the buzzcut looked like him a bit.
  • Options
    jwb22jwb22 Posts: 5
    I have been seeing pj since 91 been a clubber since 95 126XX had sec 2 row 7 dead center. every time i see the guys it gets better and better. I don't know if the 3 day lay off energized them or what but mike looked like the energizer bunny . It was truly fucking amazing the lights/ the lazer the music etc. I saw kerry woods and glendan roush from the cubs on the side of the stage. My morning jacket even though i am new to them rocked the house.

I think the only draw backs were the smoking section right outside. It was nice that you were able to enter and leave to have a smoke but felt like cattle doing it.

I don't know what to say unless you were their it was one of those nights. If it was not a sell out i could not see any empty seats. Can't wait for tonight but based on last nigt it may be a litle tammer .
    "I Wanna Be Sedated"
  • Options
    jwb22jwb22 Posts: 5
    usually dont post on here, but i have to respond...first off everyone is entitled to their opinion and i am fine with someone being critical as it doesnt happen enough on this board

however if your not in the band how do you know if a song is relevant or not...who know they might have played those songs the first time in chicago or have never played them in that order...we dont know

let ed drink ten bottles...HE IS A ROCK STAR...that likes wine...and in case you couldnt tell he did have a great buzz going on...a sober person doesnt smash a tamborine over their head...well done ed

make out sessions arent the bands fault...i saw it everywhere by me and you know what...i focused on the stage again...the reason we were there

overly creative?...creative to you is not creative to me...opear???...you might need to call this your last show...if i wanted opera id go see the three tenors...sound the same for you not for me

peace...hopefully your fanclub number is less than mine so i get closer

you are an idiot would you say that about the who/ beatles/ the dead/ allman brothers/ and tom petty maybe your just getting old. i am almost 40 with three girls and a grerat job and i rocked all night it was well in simple terms a release of energy . same old thing what a idiot.
    "I Wanna Be Sedated"
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    Great Show!!!! The place was packed..I admit the setlist had no jaw dropping surprises but makes no differernce. Coming out and hearing the first few cords to Release sent chills up my spine. I was actually hoping to hear more new stuff, but I guess that is what 2 nights are for. Severed Hand was incredible. Best version I heard yet.

McCready was fucking insane during the whole show. He was running and jumping all over the place. and not to mention was dead on and on fire.

Right before Jeremy Eddie was pointing out a guy in the front row who has been around for a long time, since mother love bone. Eddie bent over to try and get his name and was actually having a conversation with him. It was a great tribute to a very dedicated fan. I really really thought they would bust out Crown of Thorns for him but instead we got another kickass Jeremy.

Low Light is one of my favorites but did not beat the 05 Gorge version. Song like that doesnt play well in a big stadium.

I Got Id was awsome, I never thought I would hear that live. WMA tag after daughter was cool too although I was praying for It's OK.

Great sing along songs in the middle of the set. My voice is all but gone.

FIRST ENCORE Ed comes out solo and talks to the crowd and said one of the greatest things I ever heard.......ed.."you im proud to be in seattle, thats home but for better or worse and prolly for the better I'll always be a kid from Chicago" wow what a cool thing to hear. then a great version of a classic beatles song.

I was kinda dissappointed in the crowd when eddy threw out a little we belong together tag after Black. it was a quiet one but still, there wasnt much cheering when he started to sing it.

Alive as always rocked the house.

Second ENCORE.......GO, BLOOD, Indifference, Baba O'Reilly, YL

holy shit have you people seen this. I was with my brother who said before we got there he wanted to hear blood, indifference, and baba, in no particular order no less. and look what he got.

Tonight will be even better. This almost felt like a warm up show but great energy and the band sounded awsome. I'm here at work on 4 hours sleep and cant wait to do it again tonight.
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    The show last night was fucking amazing. The first set was just incredible. The new songs sound incredible. I was more than happy to finally hear Low Light, I'm Open, I Got Shit and so many others. Mike was going crazy all night long. The first encore was sort of a Debbie Downer Greatest Hits encore, not to mention the dude 2 rows in front of us loving it up with his girlfriend during Better Man and Black, however, the second encore was amazing. Three Vs. songs in a row, than a great Baba and YL (with Kerry Wood sidestage in a green Adidas shirt smoking and drinking...keep it up Kerry you idiot). At the beginning of Baba, Ed threw Kerry a tambourine. Sure wish I was going tonight, but Cleveland on Saturday couldn't come soon enough.
  • Options
    B_D_BB_D_B Posts: 3
    I don't have the best eyesight, I asked my girlfriend if it was Kerry Wood and she said it wasn't. The guy didn't seem as tall as Kerry and I thought he'd be at the Cubs game since they were playing last night. But the buzzcut looked like him a bit.

don't think he was there the entire show. probably came right after the game. it was definately him.
  • Options
    jlew24asujlew24asu Posts: 10,118
    plattanz wrote:
    okay....

so my number is 153xxx....i've seen this band countless times since 96 and i have to admit, this show had to of been one of the worse shows i've gone too...

maybe i'm just growing tired of the band, but it just seems to me like these guys are going up there and doing the same motions they've been doing the past 15 years....does black or alive or even flow really have the same relevance or intensity it had to it 10 years ago?

my second pet peeve...why was ed really glorifying the fact that he "drank" two bottles of wine? who cares? (and two bottles of wine in two hours would put anybody on the floor...especially a guy who's no taller than 5'7") is it really wine?...

my third pet peeve.....who the hell makes out during a rock show? i'm sitting in my little section 1, 17th row seat, and around me i see couples consoling each other and kissing during the obvious songs like black and come back, but even during the faster songs like go...i mean for fuck sake, i felt like i was at a freaking aerosmith show...

finally, is anybody on this board or in this fan club critical of this band? its like this band has developed such a strong core fanzine that it really doesnt go out of its way to do something overly creative? why not be bold and make a double album? why not make an opera? do something different...sheesh....the sound is just the same...

can I have your 10c number?
  • Options
    mrskibonemrskibone Posts: 1
    plattanz wrote:
    okay....

Make sure to immediately cancel your Ten Club membership so I can move up one seat!
    Yeah, they should make an opera. Maybe they can team up with Meatloaf to make a concept album! Egads!
    I'm not the kind of fan to worship everything my favorite bands do. (If you really want to see some insane fan worship, go to Tool's fansite - toolshed. Maynard was sick for the Chicago show and his voice was completely shot and worthless and every single review is Wow - best show ever!)
    I'll prove my point by first throwing an insult. The Nashville show in 2003 was boring as all heck. (Sleater Kinney rocked the house though!)
    I've been to about 10 shows. I thought last night rocked my pants off. If I wanted to be nitpicky, I would say give us a little less Ten and a little more Riot Act, but then I would be bummed to miss out on Black.
    Everyone have fun tonight. Just don't wear the band out too much for Grand Rapids, Cleveland and Detroit!
  • Options
    bostonloubostonlou Posts: 2,849
    plattanz wrote:

is anyone critical on here?

seriously?

just look around... you'll find plenty of cranky bitches
    Don't Believe Everything You Think
  • Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    my fanview....
    first and formeost i must thank zanne for the AWESOME seat. 2cnd row dead center in front of Ed...we were behind that guy Rob who was mentioned several posts ago and directly in front of the little girl who got Ed's tambourine.
    this way my honey's very first PJ show and he was BLOWN AWAY...he GET'S IT now! and for that i am greatful, now i might just have a ticket buddy for the next tour, he's not coming with me tonite but he may drive out and meet me in cleveland...

i was hoping for a life wasted opener but got release..which is ALWAYS a bonus in my book.
    i was greatly pleased with all the songs that got played off the new album.
    i must say that hearing COME BACK just melted me..yes i still get giddy :)
    frekin COMATOSE rocks live like nobody's business..i knew it would
    present tense was amazing..i really love it when the crowd around starts singing almost louder than ed.
    mike was and always will be, a wild man on stage, kinda hard to watch him too much tho', he makes me dizzy with all the running around and jumping and such :D
    stone was even animated last nite. he moved more than i've seen him move in awhile also loved the little jams with him and jeff throughout the evening.

i'm not ever picky about what songs are played, it really doesnt matter to me but i was thrilled to hear BLOOD and indiffrence and I'm Open.

i had a very clear view of Boom up on the B3..it's so cool to watch him get into the songs he plays on and stand there and rock out to the one's her doesnt..i think Boom is a fan ;)
    didnt get to see too much of matt, but definitely heard him..as per Ed in canada...MATT CAMERON IS A F*&KING STALLION!

it was so cute when that little girl got the tambourine, a couple of times i turned around and she was singing along to every song every time...Mr little girl's dad, whoever you are, you win the coolest dad award for bringing her to the show and obviously for seeing to it that the love of the music is passed on to the next generation.
    Ed pointed at me and said something like the little girl gets this (referring to his tambourine) and we were like sure no problem toss it out, the guy who caught turned around and handed it to her, her face lit up like the sun :)
    ed's definitely got a soft spot for the little kids and that's great to see.

now, that i'm done gushing....a HUGE thank you to everyone who came out to Moretti's. the CCFA fundraiser was a wonderful success and i hope that all the rest that i'm involved with should be just a well attended. it's great to see so many people coming together to work toward something good. and a big thank you to the staff at morretti's for being so accomadating. we couldnt have had a better time of it anywhere else.

finally thanks edwho..you know why ;)

see you tonite...same time same place
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    Swami LoveSwami Love Posts: 9
    Wasn't able to go last night, but will be there tonight.

What was security like? Did they pat you down? Could you smoke in the arena?
  • Options
    ~

Set list: Release, World Wide Suicide, Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Comatose, Given To Fly, Low Light, Corduroy, I'm Open, I Got Shit, Even Flow, Unemployable, Daughter/(W.M.A.), Present Tense, Do The Evolution, Jeremy, Save You, Porch

1st Encore: You've Got To Hide Your Love Away, Better Man, Come Back, State Of Love And Trust, Black, Alive

2nd Encore: Go, Blood /(Atomic Dog), Indifference, Baba O'Riley, Yellow Ledbetter

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

August 8, 2000 Noblesville
    April 23, 2003 Champaign
    June 18, 2003 Chicago
    October 5, 2005 Chicago
    May 16, 2006 Chicago

~

It was awesome seeing Ed in his hometown for the first time, def. added to the feeling by looking up and seeing those 6 Bulls World Champs banners flying, but my fav part was Ed talking about how he'll always be a kid from Chicago, right before launching in to "Hide your love away", def got me a bit misty eyed....

I'M OPEN again, present Tense......
  • Options
    bostonlou wrote:
    is anyone critical on here?

seriously?

just look around... you'll find plenty of cranky bitches

Last night was show 22 and I have definately been to some duds! The 6/03 show at the UC comes to mind, that may have been the worst PJ I have been to.
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • Options
    Swami Love wrote:
    Wasn't able to go last night, but will be there tonight.

What was security like? Did they pat you down? Could you smoke in the arena?
    There was no serious pat down, just a wave of the "magic wand". The UC is now a no smoking venue, you can not smoke any where. But once the lights go out, anything goes. Be careful, because I did see someone getting kicked out for smoking in their seats.
    On the horizon....
    6/29/06 6/30/06
  • Options
    Swami LoveSwami Love Posts: 9
    pjdeadhead wrote:
    There was no serious pat down, just a wave of the "magic wand". The UC is now a no smoking venue, you can not smoke any where. But once the lights go out, anything goes. Be careful, because I did see someone getting kicked out for smoking in their seats.

Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    voodoopugvoodoopug Posts: 1,011
    After having a night to reflect, I must say, I walked away very satisfied. I was extremely pleased with my tickets (fourth row on the side). I took my wife with me to this show. She is a "hits" fan, and other than the songs I play over and over in the house/car, she came to hear the new songs and hits: She got Jeremy, Alive, YL, Even Flow, Daughter, Betterman, Cordouroy, and Release (GREAT OPENER), plus a bunch off the new album.

myself as a die hard got to hear a bunch of my favorites, plus a couple I did not think I would get to see live (Lowlight, I'm Open). Highlights for me were Blood (and I posted yesterday that I didnt want to hear this song....but the energy level in the stadium and adreniline rush blew my mind), Indifference, Present Tense, DTE(although I thought the guitar mix was not great on that one), Given to Fly, and I Got Shit.

I cant wait to see what the play tonite as I feel I am in for a good week (two more shows for me this week!)

ten club number is 304xxx and i was in sec 111 row 4
    There's Pearl Jam, The Rolling Stones, Chuck Berry, Robert Johnson......and then everybody else.
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811
    ~
    The pre party rocked! At my table alone I was fortunate to be in the company of my sister (thefireiscooking), AtPeacew/MyLust she’s from Kentucky and brought her friend from Elgin, PJINFLA and Catherine were up from Florida, my friend Ken from Chicago and Clint came in from California. The fundraiser packed Moretti’s and that place was huge. I hope they raised a lot of dough.

10c membership established February 1994 (52xxx), tonight Clint and I sat 2nd row Ed center :)

November 1, 1992 Mountain View
    October 28, 1993 San Francisco
    October 2, 1994 Mountain View
    November 4, 1995 San Jose
    October 20, 1996 Mountain View
    November 12, 1997 Santa Cruz
    August 17, 1998 Indianapolis
    October 31, 1999 Mountain View
    October 11, 2000 St. Louis
    October 21, 2001 Mountain View
    December 9, 2002 Seattle
    June 18, 2003 Chicago