Options

What brand are these guitars?

FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
These are two guitars that were on the 2013 tour (probably have been using them for years/I have no idea) - I'm new at this, what brand are these guitars? I'd like to read more about the specifics of each guitar. Can anyone tell me what strings they use - brand, light, medium, steel, nylon? They both sound so beautiful. So crisp.

Oh please let it rain today.
Those that can be trusted can change their mind.

Comments

• Options
    Oh jeez. No photos. One moment please.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Martin
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    +1 to the Martin comment. Strings are the Marquise strings by Martin. Medium round wound strings.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks! There appears to be some decently priced used Martins out there.

Thanks for the help on the strings - quite the difference in price :))
  • Options
    Stone is playing a Taylor dreadnought. I would guess a 710 from other articles I have read online. Ed's is definitely a Martin, would guess a 00 or 000 model.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

I've tried both sets and I'm not too big of a fan of either. I caved, when my fiance' bought me a set, and fell for the elixer strings. I feel like that guy but I'm okay with it. (It's like buying a Glock or an Affliction T-shirt...there's a stigma that goes with it). I love the Elixers, though. If I HAD to choose between those sets, though, I'd go with the M150s.
  • Options
    ejleonjr said:

Stone is playing a Taylor dreadnought. I would guess a 710 from other articles I have read online. Ed's is definitely a Martin, would guess a 00 or 000 model.

Thanks. Appreciate the response. I've been rotating boots and have been listening to Charlottesville 2013 and - now I know - the Martin opens Thumbing. Just beautiful.

FoxyRedLa said:

I've tried both sets and I'm not too big of a fan of either. I caved, when my fiance' bought me a set, and fell for the elixer strings. I feel like that guy but I'm okay with it. (It's like buying a Glock or an Affliction T-shirt...there's a stigma that goes with it). I love the Elixers, though. If I HAD to choose between those sets, though, I'd go with the M150s.
    I am new to learning the guitar and how to play it. I know the basics and can play the basics. I think I get what your are putting down about Elixer lol but I wouldn't know any better. I appreciate the input. Appears some of this is trial and error and of course just finding what you like.

I try to practice as much as I can and I am a much happier person when I get a little guitar time :D

Thanks everyone!
  • Options
    ejleonjr said:

Oh I meant to say thanks again here too cuz I thought the two definitely had a different sound. At first above I was understanding they both were Martins.
  • Options
    Takemine and Fenders are my favourite. My bandmate plays a Takemine and I've played his and several others and they are just amazing. I have played a really expensive Martin and wasn't all that thrilled about it either. For me I have found that strings are a big factor in 'sound.'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    @FoxyRedLa----welcome! I've been playing for a little over ten years and I'm STILL searching for the right strings (both electric and acoustic). The elixers are great because they don't seem to wear out as quick. But yeah, it's all about trial and error. Also, think about getting "Fast Fret" by GHS. It's a cleaner/lubricant for strings. I bought my first and only stick of it in 2005...and it's STILL like brand new.

I've gotten a Fender acoustic from the Fender starter pack. It's built like a tank and I love it. I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on a guitar because I don't have the money and I can't justify buying something like that. I've got 12 guitars and almost all of them are low end and from the clearance/craigslist specials. I've played numerous expensive guitars (comes with living in Kalamazoo where the old Gibson plant is) and it's all about comfort. Just because something costs $17,000 doesn't mean it's going to play and sound amazing. I'd take my Epiphone LP-100 over an Gibson Les Paul any day. It's all about feel. Test out different guitars...multiples of the same model. Whatever you do, enjoy playing! Also, keep us posted!
  • Options
    xtreme - thanks! I've been learning almost two years. I have always wanted to learn since yellow led but was young and just didn't know to ask. As I got older I just assumed I couldn't learn to play. Now I'm much wiser.

My acoustic/electric is a Yamaha APX500II. My BFF. I have been using a capo as a crutch a little - I can play without it it's just easier as the frets are obviously closer. Not sure if I need to just get used to it wrist wise or if my fingers are just too short.

My electric is an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Lol it's heavy compared to. I practice on it sometimes - would like to pick up an amp soon - and I do have the Rocksmith game I try to practice with when I can.

I appreciate the help with the strings. I have been reading other threads too. All I wanted to do this past holiday weekend was take my guitar to be re-strung but it didn't happen. Maybe this weekend!
  • Options
    Nice acoustic! My fiance' has a 3/4 size and loves it. I'm a smaller guy so I can totally understand the stretching thing. Learning on an acoustic is gonna help you more than on an electric. If you're looking for amps, check out craigslist. You can find some decent ones for fair prices. Also, in terms of restringing a guitar, check out some youtube videos and learn :) I used to take my guitar in to get restrung but would spend way too much money every few weeks. Finally, I asked a friend to teach me. Really glad I did! Anyway, good luck!
  • Options
    Acoustic with high action helped me a ton when I got my first Mexi-Strat back in 1995. It felt like my fingers and hands were getting a break. Yeah, my fingers and hands hurt for a few months but I was 15 & recovered fast! Not like my old ass today. Haha!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    I'm totally happy with my old Martin D-18 that I bought new which fairly affordable back in the day but I'm also very happy with my cheap DX1R Martin. But I like old funky guitars too. My dirt cheap First Act Paul Westerberg model is one of my favorites- same with my Squire Strat. I like 'em all. :-D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I'm totally happy with my old Martin D-18 that I bought new which fairly affordable back in the day but I'm also very happy with my cheap DX1R Martin. But I like old funky guitars too. My dirt cheap First Act Paul Westerberg model is one of my favorites- same with my Squire Strat. I like 'em all. :-D

Those Martins look big lol - short arms here. Is your Paul Westerberg plaid?!

Not sure if you read all the comments - but I did get my Yamaha re-strung this past weekend - talked to Matt my guy @ guitar center lol and I asked for something to help me practice and I told him about the suggestions I got here and he went with Elixer Polywebs. I don't dislike them but I hear some buzzing I hadn't before lol but that could be the user! Lol but my point is I was checkin out the Martins @ the store and the Taylors and the Fenders lol too much fun. Prices definitely range.
  • Options
    As your hands get stronger, you will learn to control those kinds of sounds.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    FoxyRedLa said:

brianlux said:

Not sure if you read all the comments - but I did get my Yamaha re-strung this past weekend - talked to Matt my guy @ guitar center lol and I asked for something to help me practice and I told him about the suggestions I got here and he went with Elixer Polywebs. I don't dislike them but I hear some buzzing I hadn't before lol but that could be the user! Lol but my point is I was checkin out the Martins @ the store and the Taylors and the Fenders lol too much fun. Prices definitely range.
    Yes, the pick guard is plaid! The first time I saw one years ago was in the dry, flat town of Fallon, Nevada. That's interesting in of itself because (to put it very nicely) I'm neither a fan of Fallon nor Walmart, but we were travelling and needed a few things that could only be found there. So anyway, we're walking through the store and lo and behold, there's this Westerberg model First Act for sale brand new for a little over $100. I didn't have the money or room for it at the time and when these guitars quickly sold out, the prices on places like Ebay started running up into $300 to $400 or more. So when I say one on Ebay for about half that much I grabbed it. What really surprised me is that it's a fun little guitar. And plaid!! :-D

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

As your hands get stronger, you will learn to control those kinds of sounds.

Thanks for the tip - right now I'm workin on finding songs I like and want to learn and also keeping the rhythm when it's time to move into the chorus. Some of those open chord changes are just not workin for me lol definitely no bar chords goin on yet!
  • Options
    brianlux said:

FoxyRedLa said:

brianlux said:

Yes, the pick guard is plaid! The first time I saw one years ago was in the dry, flat town of Fallon, Nevada. That's interesting in of itself because (to put it very nicely) I'm neither a fan of Fallon nor Walmart, but we were travelling and needed a few things that could only be found there. So anyway, we're walking through the store and lo and behold, there's this Westerberg model First Act for sale brand new for a little over $100. I didn't have the money or room for it at the time and when these guitars quickly sold out, the prices on places like Ebay started running up into $300 to $400 or more. So when I say one on Ebay for about half that much I grabbed it. What really surprised me is that it's a fun little guitar. And plaid!! :-D

Yeah wow a little over $100! First Act's est annual revenue a few years ago was 68 million $-)