Police abuse

1878889909193»

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 5,028
    ^^^
    Are you having a slow Sunday Often?  That post seems oddly out of place for you.  Usually you are more subdued and offer your opinions.  

Stick to the topic.

See posting guidelines. 
  • dignin said:
    ^^^
    Are you having a slow Sunday Often?  That post seems oddly out of place for you.  Usually you are more subdued and offer your opinions.  

Stick to the topic.

See posting guidelines. 

Thanks.

Sorry Often.

Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwhelming. AE
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 2,450

It's a hopeless situation...
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 8,770
    I took the police to court for issuing me a wrongful citation.

WV city cop pulls me over:  "I pulled you over because you're driving an uninspected vehicle."
    Me:  The vehicle is inspected, sir.
    Cop: Where are your inspection stickers?
    Me: I'm a Maryland resident.  Maryland doesn't issue inspection stickers.
    Cop: Why do you have West Virginia tags?
    Me: They're temporary tags.  I bought the car in West Virginia.
    Cop: If you have WV tags, you need a WV inspection.
    Me: They're temporary tags, sir.  Dealerships do not issue out of state temporary tags.
    Cop: Well, you need to have the car inspected.
    Me: It is inspected.  It's inspected for Maryland because I'm a Maryland resident. The car will be registered in Maryland.
    Cop: But you have WV tags.
    Me: I know, I bought the car in WV.  It even states on the temporary registration that the car will not be registered in WV, it will be registered in MD.
    Cop: Why do you have WV tags if you live in MD?
    Me: They're temporary tags, I purchased the car at a WV dealership. They don't issue out of state temporaries.
    Cop: Well, the bottom line is you need to have your car inspected to have WV tags.
    Me: I'm not trying to be rude, but what are you not understanding? I'm a MD resident, the car was purchased in WV, it is inspected for my state of residence, out-of-state temps are not issued. It says all of this on the temporary registration.
    Cop: Sir, you have WV tags on your car and no inspection stickers. I'm going to have to issue you a citation for failure to inspect.
    Me: It is inspec... just give me the ticket, I'll see you in court.

Now, the sad thing is, after all that, I went to the circuit court and the judge gave me the same fucking runaround.  I contacted the WV State Police and my dad's friend who is a lawyer.  Went to court again a week later.  Citation was erased from my record.

Granted I know this isn't brutality or anything super serious... but it was harrassment and a waste of my time and money (the city was about 45 miles away and I had to drive there 2 consecutive weekends to deal with that bullshit).

About a week later I received a letter of apology from the City Police Dept which pulled me over. It was fucking glorious.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 2,450
    I took the police to court for issuing me a wrongful citation.

WV city cop pulls me over:  "I pulled you over because you're driving an uninspected vehicle."
    Me:  The vehicle is inspected, sir.
    Cop: Where are your inspection stickers?
    Me: I'm a Maryland resident.  Maryland doesn't issue inspection stickers.
    Cop: Why do you have West Virginia tags?
    Me: They're temporary tags.  I bought the car in West Virginia.
    Cop: If you have WV tags, you need a WV inspection.
    Me: They're temporary tags, sir.  Dealerships do not issue out of state temporary tags.
    Cop: Well, you need to have the car inspected.
    Me: It is inspected.  It's inspected for Maryland because I'm a Maryland resident. The car will be registered in Maryland.
    Cop: But you have WV tags.
    Me: I know, I bought the car in WV.  It even states on the temporary registration that the car will not be registered in WV, it will be registered in MD.
    Cop: Why do you have WV tags if you live in MD?
    Me: They're temporary tags, I purchased the car at a WV dealership. They don't issue out of state temporaries.
    Cop: Well, the bottom line is you need to have your car inspected to have WV tags.
    Me: I'm not trying to be rude, but what are you not understanding? I'm a MD resident, the car was purchased in WV, it is inspected for my state of residence, out-of-state temps are not issued. It says all of this on the temporary registration.
    Cop: Sir, you have WV tags on your car and no inspection stickers. I'm going to have to issue you a citation for failure to inspect.
    Me: It is inspec... just give me the ticket, I'll see you in court.

Now, the sad thing is, after all that, I went to the circuit court and the judge gave me the same fucking runaround.  I contacted the WV State Police and my dad's friend who is a lawyer.  Went to court again a week later.  Citation was erased from my record.

Granted I know this isn't brutality or anything super serious... but it was harrassment and a waste of my time and money (the city was about 45 miles away and I had to drive there 2 consecutive weekends to deal with that bullshit).

About a week later I received a letter of apology from the City Police Dept which pulled me over. It was fucking glorious.
    Congratulations on your well deserved justice. There's nothing more I hate then arrogant and ignorant traffic police. They are the fucking worst. They either cite you for something completely asinine or inaccurate and it's way more expensive to fight it then just roll over and pay it. I wish they would enact a statue that required the city to repay you all lost wages and cost of travel if it is found that the ticket wasn't legit. Instead that a-hole got a bunch of OT to appear in court for his bogus ticket. They should have to forfeit the OT pay to the defendant.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • ^^^
    They are the worst?  Do you have an incident that pertains to you that one would consider police abuse?

Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not. Both ideas are overwhelming. AE
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 8,770
    tbergs said:

Congratulations on your well deserved justice. There's nothing more I hate then arrogant and ignorant traffic police. They are the fucking worst. They either cite you for something completely asinine or inaccurate and it's way more expensive to fight it then just roll over and pay it. I wish they would enact a statue that required the city to repay you all lost wages and cost of travel if it is found that the ticket wasn't legit. Instead that a-hole got a bunch of OT to appear in court for his bogus ticket. They should have to forfeit the OT pay to the defendant.
    Here's the kicker.  I was 18 at the time.  Cop must've thought he was going to pull one over on some unsuspecting kid, but didn't realize this kid knew more of the law than he cared to admit.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 8,812
    Stay safe out there in OK, Officer Betty Shelby is back in the field.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 1,270
    I agree that there should be some compensation for someone who fights a ticket and wins. As mentioned, many just pay for it because it isn't worth the 2 days taking off work to fight it.
    But that's all the court system, it is designed to deter people from fighting tickets.You need to show up to court just to declare you plan to fight it, which takes at least half a day if not longer.
    Then 2 or 3 weeks later take another day off to come back and actually fight it. I see no reason in the modern world this has to be done in person for a traffic ticket, other than to deter people from fighting it, many who would win but would rather pay the fee than take 2 days off of work.
    Happened to me about a year ago, but the increase to my insurance was worth the fight over it, and I won. But then I still feel like I lost after wasting 2 vacation days over it.
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 5,527
    mace1229 said:
    I agree that there should be some compensation for someone who fights a ticket and wins. As mentioned, many just pay for it because it isn't worth the 2 days taking off work to fight it.
    But that's all the court system, it is designed to deter people from fighting tickets.You need to show up to court just to declare you plan to fight it, which takes at least half a day if not longer.
    Then 2 or 3 weeks later take another day off to come back and actually fight it. I see no reason in the modern world this has to be done in person for a traffic ticket, other than to deter people from fighting it, many who would win but would rather pay the fee than take 2 days off of work.
    Happened to me about a year ago, but the increase to my insurance was worth the fight over it, and I won. But then I still feel like I lost after wasting 2 vacation days over it.
    It must depend on where you live. My experience has been that you show up at the time indicated, wait a little bit for your turn, then make your case to the judge. Done.