Options

Police abuse

Comments

• Options
    Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited July 2017

Watch your video. He never threw his shoulder. He never moved out of the way is what he did and he was there first. He shouldn't have been forced to move because skater boy was blitzing through.

When you post shit videos like this it reveals your inherent bias.
    Post edited by Kat on
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    edited July 2017

Watch your video. He never threw his shoulder. He never moved out of the way is what he did and he was there first. He shouldn't have been forced to move because skater boy was blitzing through.

Why do you say that, Thirty?  If you look closely, the cop does move toward the skater, sending him flying and the the caption does say "Police officer attacked" which is incorrect.  Not saying the skater wasn't being foolish, but what unsung said I don't think warrants a "You're full of shit". (Actually, I'm not sure we're supposed to say that to another forum member anyway but I'm not the thread cop.)
    Post edited by Kat on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    edited July 2017
    I'll settle this, the officer did slightly move into the skateboarder. Not the conduct we should expect.
    If you look at the slow motion you can see the officer brace himself by pulling his hands down and elbows in while leaning into the skater.
    Post edited by JC29856 on
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    I'll settle this, the officer did slightly move into the skateboarder. Not the conduct we should expect. 
    Exactly. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited July 2017
    not sure how fast skaterboi was going but that is pretty dangerous "oops I didn't mean to clip you" move. head first into patrol car or awkward landing and bye bye skaterboi.
  • Options
    JC29856 said:
    If you look at the slow motion you can see the officer brace himself by pulling his hands down and elbows in while leaning into the skater.
    Yes.

He braced for impact.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:

Why do you say that, Thirty?  If you look closely, the cop does move toward the skater, sending him flying and the the caption does say "Police officer attacked" which is incorrect.  Not saying the skater wasn't being foolish, but what unsung said I don't think warrants a "You're full of shit". (Actually, I'm not sure we're supposed to say that to another forum member anyway but I'm not the thread cop.)
    I looked closely. I watched the video several times which repeatedly showed the moment of impact.

At first, I couldn't even see what happened. It took several watches to note what is obvious: the skater foolishly and brazenly flew through the scene where he had no business being. Then... the impact occurred.

You guys are saying the cop should have gotten out of the idiot's way. I'm saying he was in his spot first, the skater should not have been wheeling through there anyways. The cop didn't 'have' to move. The responsibility was with the skater to avoid the collision.

While we are scouring the internet to splash videos of horrible cops... let's not 'reach' for interactions and all eagerly agree enthusiastically when times are slow.

And don't start playing dad, Brian. Unsung is a big boy. He's likely not weeping over his keyboard right now.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    sees it coming for at least 3 seconds...

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Tm6qfPa
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    brianlux said:

I looked closely. I watched the video several times which repeatedly showed the moment of impact.

At first, I couldn't even see what happened. It took several watches to note what is obvious: the skater foolishly and brazenly flew through the scene where he had no business being. Then... the impact occurred.

You guys are saying the cop should have gotten out of the idiot's way. I'm saying he was in his spot first, the skater should not have been wheeling through there anyways. The cop didn't 'have' to move. The responsibility was with the skater to avoid the collision.

While we are scouring the internet to splash videos of horrible cops... let's not 'reach' for interactions and all eagerly agree enthusiastically when times are slow.

And don't start playing dad, Brian. Unsung is a big boy. He's likely not weeping over his keyboard right now.
    Ok, no dadism.  Not even dadaism!
    Post edited by Kat on

• Options
    JC29856 said:
    sees it coming for at least 3 seconds...

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/Tm6qfPa
    Yup. Confirms everything. 

The skater wheeled through the scene on a collision course with an officer that was doing police work. It was his responsibility to avoid the officer... not the officer's responsibility to leap out of the way.

The cop never moved and you expected him to. Or... the cop should have went limp and not steadied himself for the impact sonthe skater could successfully whiz through and maybe get some rad cheers. Got it.

I think differently. I think the punk shouldn't have been whizzing through the scene trying somewhat to intimidate the cop with his fly by antic. I think given the fact he did make the decision to be the anti-establishment hero of the hour... at a very minimum he should have taken a wider path around the cop.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    You're full of shit.

Ok, no dadism.  Not even dadaism!
    I think you've just invented a new term!
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    edited July 2017

Yeah, you're right.  He braced himself by leaning into it.

Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    unsung said:

Yeah, you're right.  He braced himself by leaning into it.

How would you brace yourself? Get back on your heels? Maybe you wouldn't have needed to... you likely would have pulled back your trench coat, revealed your 44 magnum, and tapped your fingers on it. Then skater punk boy would have stopped in his tracks, tucked his tail between his legs, and ran off yelping.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    It's not the best video to make a definitive call off of, but I tend to think the cop had the choice to step out of the way and instead gave him a little shoulder or forearm.  And whatever the extent that it was wrong for the skateboarder to be doing that at that time, I can't defend the cop's decision.  Sometimes it seems like they are looking for an excuse... 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    OnWis97 said:
    It's not the best video to make a definitive call off of, but I tend to think the cop had the choice to step out of the way and instead gave him a little shoulder or forearm.  And whatever the extent that it was wrong for the skateboarder to be doing that at that time, I can't defend the cop's decision.  Sometimes it seems like they are looking for an excuse... 
    once again, cop had an opportunity to deescalate a situation and decided to do the opposite

I was a bouncer at a shiatty bar in college and the first thing they taught us was how to deescalate a situation

this is basic stuff..... can't understand why it isn't an essential part of their training
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    once again, cop had an opportunity to deescalate a situation and decided to do the opposite

I was a bouncer at a shiatty bar in college and the first thing they taught us was how to deescalate a situation

this is basic stuff..... can't understand why it isn't an essential part of their training
    "shiatty"  Another invented term besides my "dadism".

We're on a roll!

• Options
    OnWis97 said:
    This is fair.

The cop could have gotten out of the way. I agree with this. He chose not to and I don't necessarily disagree with his choice. The reason I don't necessarily disagree with his choice is that ultimately, the skater was responsible for moving off the collision course. Clearly, the skateboarder was looking for some type of interaction with the police unless he's just a plain idiot. His plan was to brush by the officer and really demonstrate something. The cop never played his game and it seems people do not like the fact that he never played along.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited July 2017
    What I see is the cop walking to his right then stopping in the path of the skater when he sees him.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    The essence of the argument that the cop was in the right because he didn't have to move even though he could have is the same as "......but he started it!"  Police should be better than that. Many are. Those that let their egos get in the way cause problems that didn't need to happen. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    OnWis97 said:
    This is fair.

The cop could have gotten out of the way. I agree with this. He chose not to and I don't necessarily disagree with his choice. The reason I don't necessarily disagree with his choice is that ultimately, the skater was responsible for moving off the collision course. Clearly, the skateboarder was looking for some type of interaction with the police unless he's just a plain idiot. His plan was to brush by the officer and really demonstrate something. The cop never played his game and it seems people do not like the fact that he never played along.
    I recently damn near got hit by a bicyclist on a sidewalk.  I stepped out from (from his point of view) around the corner of a building and wizzzzz.  It was his job to get out of the way.  In fact, it was his job not be be riding 10-15 MPH on a damn sidewalk.  I stepped back because I could.  The cop coulda too.  The difference, of course, was that unlike the cop, I would have been the one to be injured, so clinging to my "right-of-way" would have been plain stupid. (Actually...the truth is he whizzed by me probably a split second before we could have made contact...I probably could have kicked him and injured him badly if I'd been really quick to react...that would be analogous to what the cop did.)

Or put another way, when some un-alert pedestrian crosses a street and interrupts my right-of-way, I choose not to hit them, even if they are in the wrong.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    The essence of the argument that the cop was in the right because he didn't have to move even though he could have is the same as "......but he started it!"  Police should be better than that. Many are. Those that let their egos get in the way cause problems that didn't need to happen. 
    The situation isn't as simple as 'guy on sidewalk moves out of way to avoid collision'.

The cops were actively policing and that idiot brazenly challenged the cop and tried to make the situation more challenging as well.

If the skateboarder was passing by at a distance of even three feet and the cop lunged at him... the argument you seem to favour might have legs; but the skateboarder's plan was to brush by the cop- obviously, with the intent to send some form of message.

The cop didn't play his stupid game. He didn't need to.
  • Options
    If I'm the dad of the fool that challenged the cops, I would have wanted the cop to jump out of the way.

Given that he didn't, I wouldn't be super thrilled, but the brunt of my disappointment would be directed at my kid. "Why did you think it was appropriate to do what you did? How did you think doing what you did was going to make the situation better? In such a situation, why did you think provoking the police was wise?"
  • Options
    What were the skater's and officer's positions when the skater began his descent?  It's kind of shitty to assume the kid was "challenging" the cop when we don't know how long it took him to get down the hill or the cop's position relative to the starting point of his descent.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    If I'm the dad of the fool that challenged the cops, I would have wanted the cop to jump out of the way.

Given that he didn't, I wouldn't be super thrilled, but the brunt of my disappointment would be directed at my kid. "Why did you think it was appropriate to do what you did? How did you think doing what you did was going to make the situation better? In such a situation, why did you think provoking the police was wise?"
    It's not a zero sum game. The skater shouldn't have been that close, but that doesn't negate the fact that the officer shouldn't have escalated it, even mildly. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    What were the skater's and officer's positions when the skater began his descent?  It's kind of shitty to assume the kid was "challenging" the cop when we don't know how long it took him to get down the hill or the cop's position relative to the starting point of his descent.
    Tough to tell from what I've seen.

But what's easier to see is that the skater was wheeling through the center of the police activity where no other skaters felt it was appropriate to skate.
  • Options
    Tough to tell from what I've seen.

But what's easier to see is that the skater was wheeling through the center of the police activity where no other skaters felt it was appropriate to skate.
    Except for the one right behind him who put the brakes on rather quickly when he friend was sent tumbling through the air. And the three or four watching from the bottom of the hill. And the one walking back up the hill from a previous run.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Here is a cop throwing a shoulder into a 17 year old and the crooked media applying their title.

Hard to tell if it was intentional or not, but here's the whole story from the "crooked media".

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/Videos-emerge-of-SF-police-officer-bumping-11283292.php
    Oh, bullshit.  The video clearly shows the officer shifting to his left and extending his elbow.
    Whatever else there is to this story is whatever it is, but don't let your bias make your eyes into worthless appendages.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    OnWis97 said:
    This is fair.

So, like usual, instead of expecting an officer to do what's decent and causes the least amount of disturbance, you expect him to meet shitty behaviour with shitty behaviour by puffing his chest and putting on a display of authority.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    HFS! I admire thirtys dedication and persistence. 
    thirsty bills paid esquire
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    unsung said:
    Here is a cop throwing a shoulder into a 17 year old and the crooked media applying their title.

Hard to tell if it was intentional or not, but here's the whole story from the "crooked media".

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sfgate.com/bayarea/amp/Videos-emerge-of-SF-police-officer-bumping-11283292.php
    Oh, bullshit.  The video clearly shows the officer shifting to his left and extending his elbow.
    Whatever else there is to this story is whatever it is, but don't let your bias make your eyes into worthless appendages.
    Whoa there. No reason to be an asshole. Your self righteous attitude can be checked at the door. I don't think I need you to tell me what I should or shouldn't see. I watched the video a few times and don't think it's clear. Take your own advice and consider your bias anytime police behavior is the subject. Being open minded isn't a bias.
    It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.