Options

TOOL Army

FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
edited July 2014 in Other Music
Just to shed some light on Tool's next album...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

At least they are trying!
Post edited by FrankY59 on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Oh Tool, how do I love thee?

Good men...such talented men.

Each time seeing them live, what an experience! So...fulfilling. Like succumbing to an amazing meal, if that makes sense.

• Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited July 2014
    Still put out great albums, haven't enjoyed them live since the Aenima tour in 96/97.
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    Saw these guys perform on 2 flat bed trailers parked side by side at Lollapalooza III at Buckeye Lake east of Columbus, Ohio in 1993. :-&
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    Sorry, meant to post in Other Music...feel free to move the thread the Powers that Be.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    hedonist said:

Oh Tool, how do I love thee?

Good men...such talented men.

Each time seeing them live, what an experience! So...fulfilling. Like succumbing to an amazing meal, if that makes sense.

THIS!!!
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Can't believe it's been how many years now since 10,000 days? Shit feels like 10,000 days!!
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,625
    badbrains said:

Can't believe it's been how many years now since 10,000 days? Shit feels like 10,000 days!!

If I remember correctly 10,000 Days and Avocado came out on the same day.
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    RS151862 said:

badbrains said:

FACT. And I listened to 10000 Days a helluva lot more.
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

RS151862 said:

badbrains said:

FACT on both parts!!! Hahaha
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,024
    FrankY59 said:

RS151862 said:

badbrains said:

Best body of work by them I think.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    Does anyone have a hard time hearing the vocals on their stuff. It sounds really, really distant to me.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options

FrankY59 said:

RS151862 said:

badbrains said:

Best body of work by them I think.
    Agreed, though I'd put Lateralus up there too.

evenflow, nope...can't say Maynard sounds particularly weak or strong in terms of loudness (mixing?) - has always sounded perfect / balanced to me.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    must be my ears then. I can't hear the lyrics very well.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options

I suggest a Q-tip. Kidding. Maynard has some mad pipes when needed. The Grudge has a nice 25 second stretch of keeping a tune without taking a breath...more of a scream but you get the point.
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    FrankY59 said:

I suggest a Q-tip. Kidding. Maynard has some mad pipes when needed. The Grudge has a nice 25 second stretch of keeping a tune without taking a breath...more of a scream but you get the point.
    Yes.. His vocals on The Grudge are epic... One of my fave Tool songs. They opened with it when I saw them in 2002 and blew my mind...
  • Options
    bradklausenbradklausen Posts: 363
    booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to this article.... boo.
  • Options
    Still don't know why this thread is on the porch...
  • Options

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo to this article.... boo.

You boo, I hoo.

(and we all shine on ;) )
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

Sorry, meant to post in Other Music...feel free to move the thread the Powers that Be.

This was post #5. In the meantime, let us be nostalgic all right? No new Tool since Pearl Jam selt titled :(
  • Options
    shepshep Houston Posts: 5,647
    FrankY59 said:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tool-explain-why-they-havent-put-out-a-new-album-since-2006-20140715

so, on that last tour, I ponied up for one of the VIP tickets with the meet and greet with Adam Jones.... worth every penny, but anyway...

He never hinted at a lawsuit regarding artwork, however, he did talk somewhat at length about the "digital download" aspect of their law suit with the record company.

According to Mr. Jones, Tool is still on it's original record contract from 1991... they signed a 5 album deal, and they have been in quite a legal battle with the record company over who will own digital sales (notice you cannot purchase Tool on iTunes), as it was not defined in the original contact....

I gotta think that is effecting the latest release of material also...

That being said, I also have a sneaking suspension when the 5th and final album of the contract comes out, shortly after we'll see the floodgates open. When Adam was describing their their writing process, it became clear that they literally must have thousands of hours of recorded music that is sitting around somewhere partially finished....

I am dieing for new Tool... seeing them from the 2nd row has one made me more eager to see them again.... amazingly different experience sitting in the second row directly in front of danny....
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • Options
    GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    shep said:

I am dieing for new Tool... seeing them from the 2nd row has one made me more eager to see them again.... amazingly different experience sitting in the second row directly in front of danny....

I aw them in Kingston, Ontario and it was GA in front. Totally the way to see them. Couldn't imagine standing still for these guys, hopefully you get the chance next tour.
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I'm hoping the patience pays off and wonder if this is a bit of a ruse and they'll be announcing something shortly. Then again, I've said that about every time Tool has popped into the news The last several years.

Surprised that anybody thinks that 10k Days was their peak or even remotely as good as Aenima or Lateralus. Not a horrible album, by any stretch, just doesn't feel quite as inspired or seem like a full cohesive piece to me.

Always loved the way the vocals sit in the mix. Maynard, along with every other member sorta stands out when it's necessary, but otherwise there aren't many examples of bad mixing in their entire catalog. One of the benefits of being a 4 piece band, I suppose.
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    First time crowd surfing. Don't remember the year but it was at the old Molson park in Barrie Ontario. Surfed my way to the rail, Good times.
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    I like Lateralus more as an album than 10,000 Days, but Jambi blows my mind every time I listen to it.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    edited July 2014
    shep said:

FrankY59 said:

so, on that last tour, I ponied up for one of the VIP tickets with the meet and greet with Adam Jones.... worth every penny, but anyway...

He never hinted at a lawsuit regarding artwork, however, he did talk somewhat at length about the "digital download" aspect of their law suit with the record company.

According to Mr. Jones, Tool is still on it's original record contract from 1991... they signed a 5 album deal, and they have been in quite a legal battle with the record company over who will own digital sales (notice you cannot purchase Tool on iTunes), as it was not defined in the original contact....

I gotta think that is effecting the latest release of material also...

That being said, I also have a sneaking suspension when the 5th and final album of the contract comes out, shortly after we'll see the floodgates open. When Adam was describing their their writing process, it became clear that they literally must have thousands of hours of recorded music that is sitting around somewhere partially finished....

100%! Had front row back in meadowlands jersey years ago, stood there watching Danny the whole nite whale on his kit. Fucken amazing band, no bad seat in the house!

Edit- oh and the tix cost me $85 back then from a second hand market! Oh the days of front row for under $100!
  • Options
    shep said:

I also have a sneaking suspension when the 5th and final album of the contract comes out, shortly after we'll see the floodgates open. When Adam was describing their their writing process, it became clear that they literally must have thousands of hours of recorded music that is sitting around somewhere

I'm not gonna lie, I got a little boner reading that part.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I've said it for 15 years, Sober is the best (non pearl jam) song to come out of the 90's.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    FrankY59 said:

You can move it yourself. Just go in and edit the OP and change the location. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    FrankY59 said:

shep said:

I also have a sneaking suspension when the 5th and final album of the contract comes out, shortly after we'll see the floodgates open. When Adam was describing their their writing process, it became clear that they literally must have thousands of hours of recorded music that is sitting around somewhere

Me too - and I'm a chick :D
  • Options
    VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,924
    hedonist said:

FrankY59 said:

shep said:

Me too - and I'm a chick :D
    :))
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023