Options

Tomorrows the 10th

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Zod said:

scurtis said:

Ryan said:

I wish this band released music and toured with the same vigor and frequency that they released merch.

They just released an album and toured for a whole year.
    Well no, not really. They toured for a few months last year and a few months this year. When you compare that to other bands, it's actually pretty light on the touring. i'm not complaining (well maybe a little :)) but I felt the need to defend that posters argument). In comparison to many other bands, PJ has a very light touring schedule (hence the crazy demand for tickets).

edit: I added up the shows from last year and this. Two years of touring had 62 shows. That's pretty small when you consider tours like 2000 (or 98, 03, 06) would have 72+ in a tour that took place in a single year. PJ hasn't been a band that tours very heavy in the first place, but it's getting very light these days.
    It's more like 62 shows in 12 1/2 months rather than 2 years. 10/11/13 to 10/26/14. And factor in that they went from the eastern US > western US > Australia > Europe > midwest US with a few Eddie solos thrown in between... I'd say that's pretty hefty.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    Ryan said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

scurtis said:

Ryan said:

I wish this band released music and toured with the same vigor and frequency that they released merch.

1 album since 2009 and an absurd amount of tshirts and merch in between. I remember Binaural-era there were like, five different tshirts for sale on the website. I guess it just cheapens what Pearl Jam is to me when it seems they're so interested in the merchandising side of things. Oh well, I'll continue to vote with my wallet and not buy this stuff. Just my opinion.
    When they release an album people clamour for more merch, and when they release more merch, people clamour for more music. They really can't win. People always want what they can't have.
    I don't know anyone, other than the people on this board, that are clamouring for more merch. Everyone I know "in person" (ie my "real life" Pearl Jam friends) think this is all a big joke. A seasonal line of clothing? Dog collars? Come on now.
    A lot of people obviously buy the merch, since they keep making more and more of it, so that tells the whole story no matter who you know "in real life."
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,019
    PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

scurtis said:

Ryan said:

1 album since 2009 and an absurd amount of tshirts and merch in between. I remember Binaural-era there were like, five different tshirts for sale on the website. I guess it just cheapens what Pearl Jam is to me when it seems they're so interested in the merchandising side of things. Oh well, I'll continue to vote with my wallet and not buy this stuff. Just my opinion.
    When they release an album people clamour for more merch, and when they release more merch, people clamour for more music. They really can't win. People always want what they can't have.
    I don't know anyone, other than the people on this board, that are clamouring for more merch. Everyone I know "in person" (ie my "real life" Pearl Jam friends) think this is all a big joke. A seasonal line of clothing? Dog collars? Come on now.
    A lot of people obviously buy the merch, since they keep making more and more of it, so that tells the whole story no matter who you know "in real life."
    You're right, people keep buying the merch which is exactly what I can't figure out. Granted, the past 12 months were filled with shows, but in prior years Pearl Jam was more of a tshirt or clothing company than a full time band.
    I guess I just liked it better when there were down-years like 1997, 1999, 2001/2002 and the band was working on new music rather than the 10c machine pumping out tshirts. I'm just finding it a bit too much like KISS with new merch every month during the "offseason" from touring or a new record.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ryan said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

scurtis said:

Ryan said:

You're right, people keep buying the merch which is exactly what I can't figure out. Granted, the past 12 months were filled with shows, but in prior years Pearl Jam was more of a tshirt or clothing company than a full time band.
    I guess I just liked it better when there were down-years like 1997, 1999, 2001/2002 and the band was working on new music rather than the 10c machine pumping out tshirts. I'm just finding it a bit too much like KISS with new merch every month during the "offseason" from touring or a new record.
    I almost never buy merch besides vinyl, so I'm not sure I quite get it either (especially the really random crap, like Falla Sheep), but KISS has one thing going for them that Pearl Jam doesn't: lunch boxes. :P
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    I'd rather buy a pearl jam t-shirt than an old navy one almost every day
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

PJ_Soul said:

Ryan said:

scurtis said:

Ryan said:

I almost never buy merch besides vinyl, so I'm not sure I quite get it either (especially the really random crap, like Falla Sheep), but KISS has one thing going for them that Pearl Jam doesn't: lunch boxes. :P
    Lol I was just gonna mention lunch boxes in response to the Kiss references, but you beat me to it! :P
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,151
    Last year was 11/12/13...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990

interesting ... please share more. :P
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Nami said:

interesting ... please share more. :P
    This year we will have 12/13/14... then a "consecutive" date won't happen again for another 89 years. <:-P
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    What about Junembuary 14th, 2015?
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    There is no Junembuary on the year preceding a leap year. Everyone knows that!! :-j
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    C'mon, folks. It's Smarch 14, 2015.

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,990
    lol
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    NAUjackfanNAUjackfan Phoenix Posts: 2,340
    How does the connection from more merch=less time for new music happen? The band and the 10C create different products on different timelines. I seriously doubt anything but a quick visual OK on designs was done by the band (or just Jeff) at some point. Merch isn't album art and stage concept, it's a design bought from an artist (possibly years earlier) then turned into a sticker, shirt, cap, patch, etc. by the 10C peeps.
    I say bring on more of everything....more music, more merch!
    tumblr_mtr9t5SROk1r0d33so1_400.gif
    Click to visit the Arizona PJ Fans Page

PJ
    PHX 98|ABQ, PHX, Seattle 00|PHX 03|Arras 10|PJ20 1&2 11|Missoula 12|PHX, SD, LA 1&2 13|Denver 14|Telluride 16
    EV
    Vegas 1&2, PHX 12|Ohana 16
    TOTD
    LA 16
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471

How does the connection from more merch=less time for new music happen? The band and the 10C create different products on different timelines. I seriously doubt anything but a quick visual OK on designs was done by the band (or just Jeff) at some point. Merch isn't album art and stage concept, it's a design bought from an artist (possibly years earlier) then turned into a sticker, shirt, cap, patch, etc. by the 10C peeps.

See... I always pictured the guys from the band printing tee shirts and coloring in posters between albums and shows.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    RyanRyan Posts: 1,019

My point was that Pearl Jam is supposed to be about music, not merch. For a good chunk of time from mid 2010 until fall 2013 it felt like the opposite. I have no problem with new merch during a touring or record cycle. If Pearl Jam is on a break, I and the people I know that are Pearl Jam fans, are not terribly interested in No Code dog collars or a spring or fall line of clothing. In my opinion that feels like milking it.
    2003 - June 15 Fargo
    2005 - Sept 1 George, Sept 8 Winnipeg
    2006 - May 9/10 Toronto, June 26/27 St. Paul, July 22/23 George, Oct 21/22 Mountain View
    2007 - Aug 2/5 Chicago
    2008 - June 22 Washington, June 24/25 New York
    2009 - Aug 21 Toronto, Aug 23/24 Chicago, Sept 21/22 Seattle, Oct 27/28/30/31 Philadelphia
    2010 - May 15 Hartford, May 17 Boston, Oct 23/24 Mountain View
    2011 - Sept 3/4 Alpine Valley, Sept 11/12 Toronto, Sept 17 Winnipeg, Sept 19 Saskatoon
    2012 - Sept 30 Missoula
    2013 - July 16 London, July 19 Chicago, Oct 12 Buffalo, Dec 2 Calgary, Dec 4 Vancouver, Dec 6 Seattle
    2014 - Oct 16 Detroit, Oct 19 St. Paul, Oct 20 Milwaukee
    2015 - Sept 23 (Colbert)/Sept 26, New York
    2016 - Apr 28/29 Philadelphia, May 10/12 Toronto, Aug 20/22 Chicago
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ryan said:

My point was that Pearl Jam is supposed to be about music, not merch. For a good chunk of time from mid 2010 until fall 2013 it felt like the opposite. I have no problem with new merch during a touring or record cycle. If Pearl Jam is on a break, I and the people I know that are Pearl Jam fans, are not terribly interested in No Code dog collars or a spring or fall line of clothing. In my opinion that feels like milking it.
    I don't know, but perhaps it's about 'keeping the fans interested' even when 4 or 5 years go by without a new album. Kind of like dangling a carrot in front of a donkey. :))
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    I went to buy myself the Flag Weaving t-shirt... and ended up getting the new onesie for my 7 month old son instead. How times have changed!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    goldrush said:

I went to buy myself the Flag Weaving t-shirt... and ended up getting the new onesie for my 7 month old son instead. How times have changed!

lol I bought both and I bought that onesie at the Cincy show already this year...but I just bought a larger size for my 5 month old son to grow into.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    jason_94jason_94 Toledo, OH Posts: 1,872
    derbydave said:

on2legs said:

4 patches and 1 pin... $38.99 - seems pricey but I'm addicted to the patches. Keep em coming 10 club.

I really like the patches too, bought 3 of each design!!!
    I'd love to see some show specific patches...
    but that would just add more to the MESS that is PJ MERCH!!!
    ~X( ~X(

You better go get in that merch line now before they sell out. :D
    3/22/94 Cleveland, OH
    9/21/96 Toronto, ON
    8/26/98 Cleveland, OH
    5/09/10 Cleveland, OH
    9/03/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    9/04/11 East Troy, WI PJ20
    7/19/13 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 Buffalo, NY
    12/06/13 Seattle, WA
    10/16/14 Detroit, MI
    10/17/14 Moline, IL
    8/20/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago, IL Wrigley Field
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    I haven't been able to take advantage of the 10th day sale
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    jason_94 said:

derbydave said:

on2legs said:

4 patches and 1 pin... $38.99 - seems pricey but I'm addicted to the patches. Keep em coming 10 club.

~X( ~X(

I'll pick up a POSTER TUBE & a PIN for YOU while I'm there!!!
    ;)
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    derbydave said:

jason_94 said:

derbydave said:

on2legs said:

~X( ~X(

;)
    Now did you try on all three patches-- I mean a stitch in place and look in a mirror BEFORE you bought them? I mean, you have to try EVERYTHING on, right? Oh, then you have to ask your friends if it looks right. Man, I believe you did the patch purchasing all wrong. ;)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

derbydave said:

jason_94 said:

derbydave said:

on2legs said:

~X( ~X(

;)
    Now did you try on all three patches-- I mean a stitch in place and look in a mirror BEFORE you bought them? I mean, you have to try EVERYTHING on, right? Oh, then you have to ask your friends if it looks right. Man, I believe you did the patch purchasing all wrong. ;)
    I have not tried them on yet...
    But it is funny that I got the patches in the mail TODAY:

photo 20141117_190200_zps81wdzrlx.jpg

along with a couple of other packages from GOOD FRIENDS!!!
    :-bd
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Hey! I'm in there! :)
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    deadendp said:

Hey! I'm in there! :)

Yes...
    yes YOU ARE!!
    :D

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    C'mon 2014 boxset and Vault CD!!!
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    CopperTom said:

C'mon 2014 boxset and Vault CD!!!

Yes please!!
  • Options
    Some kind of RNDM announcement? [-O<
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    Yawn
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.