Every day is Earth Day. Let's talk about ways to make it better.

1235»

Comments

  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 14,286
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

    brianlux said:
    Knock yourself out it you think it'll make a difference ... 

    I imagine hospitals/restaurants/seniors homes will never switch due to the risk of improper sterilization...
    OK, so you just want to deride my comments or argue.  Fine.  It looks like we are done here.  I am.  Adios.
    Who's arguing ... the earth is overpopulated with mostly poor people.  Poor people will always choose the cheaper option.  Can you fix those problems?  Because unless those problems are solved, the earth is doomed.  
    OK, so you say we're doomed.  Fine.

    Look, I think this thread is worth saving not because I made it but because the Earth which feeds and sustains us deserves it. 

    No, of course I cannot fix the problems that are harming the planet.  No ONE person can do that.  Saying we're doomed will not make it better either.  Anyone here can insist on being negative and pessimistic, that's their right.  But that is not the intent of this thread.  Maybe doomsdayers could create a "The World is Doomed" thread for those with that view who don't want to talk about solutions on this one. 
    Don't worry about PJSOUL Brian. He is just very much a glass three-quarters empty kind of guy. ;) I'm not sure what will please you on any level PJSOUL - I've yet to see it! You're the official forum naysayer I think, lol.
    The straw ban is a great first step. There is also a Canada-wide ban on microbeads already, to take effect I think this year or next, can't quite remember (they gave time for companies to adjust). Obviously hospitals and the like will manage to adjust just fine.
    I already ordered by set of stainless steel straws, they're on their way. I ordered a set for my mom too, since she has an essential tremour that goes kind of wild specifically when she raises a cup or glass to her mouth, so she sometimes needs a straw to avoid throwing her drink all over the place.

    LOL,  I'm going to have to sit down with you two with some drinks and bamboo straws and work this out.  No one leaves the table until everyone is laughing and happy or passes out.  Deal?
    I want in on this 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    my2hands said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

    brianlux said:
    Knock yourself out it you think it'll make a difference ... 

    I imagine hospitals/restaurants/seniors homes will never switch due to the risk of improper sterilization...
    OK, so you just want to deride my comments or argue.  Fine.  It looks like we are done here.  I am.  Adios.
    Who's arguing ... the earth is overpopulated with mostly poor people.  Poor people will always choose the cheaper option.  Can you fix those problems?  Because unless those problems are solved, the earth is doomed.  
    OK, so you say we're doomed.  Fine.

    Look, I think this thread is worth saving not because I made it but because the Earth which feeds and sustains us deserves it. 

    No, of course I cannot fix the problems that are harming the planet.  No ONE person can do that.  Saying we're doomed will not make it better either.  Anyone here can insist on being negative and pessimistic, that's their right.  But that is not the intent of this thread.  Maybe doomsdayers could create a "The World is Doomed" thread for those with that view who don't want to talk about solutions on this one. 
    Don't worry about PJSOUL Brian. He is just very much a glass three-quarters empty kind of guy. ;) I'm not sure what will please you on any level PJSOUL - I've yet to see it! You're the official forum naysayer I think, lol.
    The straw ban is a great first step. There is also a Canada-wide ban on microbeads already, to take effect I think this year or next, can't quite remember (they gave time for companies to adjust). Obviously hospitals and the like will manage to adjust just fine.
    I already ordered by set of stainless steel straws, they're on their way. I ordered a set for my mom too, since she has an essential tremour that goes kind of wild specifically when she raises a cup or glass to her mouth, so she sometimes needs a straw to avoid throwing her drink all over the place.

    LOL,  I'm going to have to sit down with you two with some drinks and bamboo straws and work this out.  No one leaves the table until everyone is laughing and happy or passes out.  Deal?
    I want in on this 
    You got it! 

    Everyone is invited!  But where?
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 40,651
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

    brianlux said:
    Knock yourself out it you think it'll make a difference ... 

    I imagine hospitals/restaurants/seniors homes will never switch due to the risk of improper sterilization...
    OK, so you just want to deride my comments or argue.  Fine.  It looks like we are done here.  I am.  Adios.
    Who's arguing ... the earth is overpopulated with mostly poor people.  Poor people will always choose the cheaper option.  Can you fix those problems?  Because unless those problems are solved, the earth is doomed.  
    OK, so you say we're doomed.  Fine.

    Look, I think this thread is worth saving not because I made it but because the Earth which feeds and sustains us deserves it. 

    No, of course I cannot fix the problems that are harming the planet.  No ONE person can do that.  Saying we're doomed will not make it better either.  Anyone here can insist on being negative and pessimistic, that's their right.  But that is not the intent of this thread.  Maybe doomsdayers could create a "The World is Doomed" thread for those with that view who don't want to talk about solutions on this one. 
    Don't worry about PJSOUL Brian. He is just very much a glass three-quarters empty kind of guy. ;) I'm not sure what will please you on any level PJSOUL - I've yet to see it! You're the official forum naysayer I think, lol.
    The straw ban is a great first step. There is also a Canada-wide ban on microbeads already, to take effect I think this year or next, can't quite remember (they gave time for companies to adjust). Obviously hospitals and the like will manage to adjust just fine.
    I already ordered by set of stainless steel straws, they're on their way. I ordered a set for my mom too, since she has an essential tremour that goes kind of wild specifically when she raises a cup or glass to her mouth, so she sometimes needs a straw to avoid throwing her drink all over the place.

    This is totally against forum rules. Plus it makes no sense.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 938
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

    brianlux said:
    Knock yourself out it you think it'll make a difference ... 

    I imagine hospitals/restaurants/seniors homes will never switch due to the risk of improper sterilization...
    OK, so you just want to deride my comments or argue.  Fine.  It looks like we are done here.  I am.  Adios.
    Who's arguing ... the earth is overpopulated with mostly poor people.  Poor people will always choose the cheaper option.  Can you fix those problems?  Because unless those problems are solved, the earth is doomed.  
    OK, so you say we're doomed.  Fine.

    Look, I think this thread is worth saving not because I made it but because the Earth which feeds and sustains us deserves it. 

    No, of course I cannot fix the problems that are harming the planet.  No ONE person can do that.  Saying we're doomed will not make it better either.  Anyone here can insist on being negative and pessimistic, that's their right.  But that is not the intent of this thread.  Maybe doomsdayers could create a "The World is Doomed" thread for those with that view who don't want to talk about solutions on this one. 
    Don't worry about PJSOUL Brian. He is just very much a glass three-quarters empty kind of guy. ;) I'm not sure what will please you on any level PJSOUL - I've yet to see it! You're the official forum naysayer I think, lol.
    The straw ban is a great first step. There is also a Canada-wide ban on microbeads already, to take effect I think this year or next, can't quite remember (they gave time for companies to adjust). Obviously hospitals and the like will manage to adjust just fine.
    I already ordered by set of stainless steel straws, they're on their way. I ordered a set for my mom too, since she has an essential tremour that goes kind of wild specifically when she raises a cup or glass to her mouth, so she sometimes needs a straw to avoid throwing her drink all over the place.

    This is totally against forum rules. Plus it makes no sense.
    I was just kidding...my apologies.  I will play nice ... maybe, sometimes...we'll see...depends on the day.
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop ScotlandPosts: 137
    Here is what I do on a daily bases to lower my impact on the environment. I am not saying everyone should do this or that I am amazing at being eco friendly, but I am trying. Maybe someone here can find inspiration or even give me practical tips:

    - Bamboo tooth brushes instead of plastic
    - reusable stainless steel water bottle instead of plastic single use
    - reusable butterfly razor instead of plastic ones (and the result is so much better!)
    - I usually have a reusable shopping bag on me (my favourite one, has retro Batman signs all over it!)
    - Before buying new clothes I look in charity/goodwill shops, if they have what I am looking for
    I buy about 80% of my food at the local farmers market - it's organic and rarely wrapped in plastic, the poultry ladies even take their used egg cartons back
    - reusable bamboo cup for hot bavvies on the go
    - instead of cling film/kitchen foil I use wax cloths (you can buy them on Amazon or make them yourself, if you can find bees wax)
    - old t-shirts and leggins are being turned into fabric strips, with which I crochet rugs and baskets

    There maybe even more stuff, I can't think of right now. But these are the wee changes that felt really easy when I implemented them.
    As I said, I don't expect everyone to do the same, everyone is in a different situation and has a different budget. But if everyone does a little bit, it would help the planet quite a bit I believe (yep, call me naive, I honestly don't care).

    I saw that some people here are interested in permaculture and gardening. Unfortunately my living conditions don't allow for a garden but one day I'll hopefully have enough money to buy some land (if I don't spend it all on PJ tours). In the mean time I am learning a lot from a guy called Justin Rhodes on Youtube. Check out his channel, I have learned so much and I don't even have a garden  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSGEokQQcdAVFuL_Aq8dlg



  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    Here is what I do on a daily bases to lower my impact on the environment. I am not saying everyone should do this or that I am amazing at being eco friendly, but I am trying. Maybe someone here can find inspiration or even give me practical tips:

    - Bamboo tooth brushes instead of plastic
    - reusable stainless steel water bottle instead of plastic single use
    - reusable butterfly razor instead of plastic ones (and the result is so much better!)
    - I usually have a reusable shopping bag on me (my favourite one, has retro Batman signs all over it!)
    - Before buying new clothes I look in charity/goodwill shops, if they have what I am looking for
    I buy about 80% of my food at the local farmers market - it's organic and rarely wrapped in plastic, the poultry ladies even take their used egg cartons back
    - reusable bamboo cup for hot bavvies on the go
    - instead of cling film/kitchen foil I use wax cloths (you can buy them on Amazon or make them yourself, if you can find bees wax)
    - old t-shirts and leggins are being turned into fabric strips, with which I crochet rugs and baskets

    There maybe even more stuff, I can't think of right now. But these are the wee changes that felt really easy when I implemented them.
    As I said, I don't expect everyone to do the same, everyone is in a different situation and has a different budget. But if everyone does a little bit, it would help the planet quite a bit I believe (yep, call me naive, I honestly don't care).

    I saw that some people here are interested in permaculture and gardening. Unfortunately my living conditions don't allow for a garden but one day I'll hopefully have enough money to buy some land (if I don't spend it all on PJ tours). In the mean time I am learning a lot from a guy called Justin Rhodes on Youtube. Check out his channel, I have learned so much and I don't even have a garden  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSGEokQQcdAVFuL_Aq8dlg



    Great ideas here, MissSnowdrops!  :smile:

    We were talking about recycling today and I was mildly horrified and very disappointed to learn that there is no recycling in the city of Ketchikan, Alaska (we know people who live there).  The only consolation my wife could come up with was the reminder that "recycling" is the third "R".  It comes after "reduce" and "reuse".
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 10,796
    brianlux said:
    Here is what I do on a daily bases to lower my impact on the environment. I am not saying everyone should do this or that I am amazing at being eco friendly, but I am trying. Maybe someone here can find inspiration or even give me practical tips:

    - Bamboo tooth brushes instead of plastic
    - reusable stainless steel water bottle instead of plastic single use
    - reusable butterfly razor instead of plastic ones (and the result is so much better!)
    - I usually have a reusable shopping bag on me (my favourite one, has retro Batman signs all over it!)
    - Before buying new clothes I look in charity/goodwill shops, if they have what I am looking for
    I buy about 80% of my food at the local farmers market - it's organic and rarely wrapped in plastic, the poultry ladies even take their used egg cartons back
    - reusable bamboo cup for hot bavvies on the go
    - instead of cling film/kitchen foil I use wax cloths (you can buy them on Amazon or make them yourself, if you can find bees wax)
    - old t-shirts and leggins are being turned into fabric strips, with which I crochet rugs and baskets

    There maybe even more stuff, I can't think of right now. But these are the wee changes that felt really easy when I implemented them.
    As I said, I don't expect everyone to do the same, everyone is in a different situation and has a different budget. But if everyone does a little bit, it would help the planet quite a bit I believe (yep, call me naive, I honestly don't care).

    I saw that some people here are interested in permaculture and gardening. Unfortunately my living conditions don't allow for a garden but one day I'll hopefully have enough money to buy some land (if I don't spend it all on PJ tours). In the mean time I am learning a lot from a guy called Justin Rhodes on Youtube. Check out his channel, I have learned so much and I don't even have a garden  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSGEokQQcdAVFuL_Aq8dlg



    Great ideas here, MissSnowdrops!  :smile:

    We were talking about recycling today and I was mildly horrified and very disappointed to learn that there is no recycling in the city of Ketchikan, Alaska (we know people who live there).  The only consolation my wife could come up with was the reminder that "recycling" is the third "R".  It comes after "reduce" and "reuse".
    And that's such an impirimpo point, because it really is the third biggest priority among them.  Something doesn't need recycled at all if you never use it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop ScotlandPosts: 137
    Exactly, if we change the way we shop and implement small changes in reducing rubbish in the first place, then nature doesn't have to deal with it in the first place and if businesses notice a decline in sales of their single or plastic use items they might (hopefully) change their range and adapt

    Something else I remembered I am doing:
    - Cotton swabs made from paper or wood instead of plastic
    - re-usable camping cutlery instead of single use plastic
    - buying big bags of coffee grounds instead of pad/pod thingies

    I am not much for theoretical discussions on how the big picture could change. Instead I am a very practical person and just do what i can...

  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    edited June 2
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    Here is what I do on a daily bases to lower my impact on the environment. I am not saying everyone should do this or that I am amazing at being eco friendly, but I am trying. Maybe someone here can find inspiration or even give me practical tips:

    - Bamboo tooth brushes instead of plastic
    - reusable stainless steel water bottle instead of plastic single use
    - reusable butterfly razor instead of plastic ones (and the result is so much better!)
    - I usually have a reusable shopping bag on me (my favourite one, has retro Batman signs all over it!)
    - Before buying new clothes I look in charity/goodwill shops, if they have what I am looking for
    I buy about 80% of my food at the local farmers market - it's organic and rarely wrapped in plastic, the poultry ladies even take their used egg cartons back
    - reusable bamboo cup for hot bavvies on the go
    - instead of cling film/kitchen foil I use wax cloths (you can buy them on Amazon or make them yourself, if you can find bees wax)
    - old t-shirts and leggins are being turned into fabric strips, with which I crochet rugs and baskets

    There maybe even more stuff, I can't think of right now. But these are the wee changes that felt really easy when I implemented them.
    As I said, I don't expect everyone to do the same, everyone is in a different situation and has a different budget. But if everyone does a little bit, it would help the planet quite a bit I believe (yep, call me naive, I honestly don't care).

    I saw that some people here are interested in permaculture and gardening. Unfortunately my living conditions don't allow for a garden but one day I'll hopefully have enough money to buy some land (if I don't spend it all on PJ tours). In the mean time I am learning a lot from a guy called Justin Rhodes on Youtube. Check out his channel, I have learned so much and I don't even have a garden  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSGEokQQcdAVFuL_Aq8dlg



    Great ideas here, MissSnowdrops!  :smile:

    We were talking about recycling today and I was mildly horrified and very disappointed to learn that there is no recycling in the city of Ketchikan, Alaska (we know people who live there).  The only consolation my wife could come up with was the reminder that "recycling" is the third "R".  It comes after "reduce" and "reuse".
    And that's such an impirimpo point, because it really is the third biggest priority among them.  Something doesn't need recycled at all if you never use it.
    "impirimpo", si!  Fantasctico, amico mio!  Saluti!

    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 10,796
    Autocorrect for the win!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    rgambs said:
    Autocorrect for the win!
    :lol:
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • tbergstbergs Posts: 4,053
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    tbergs said:
    Just as sickening (from the article):  "Globally, eight million tons of plastic — bottles, packaging and other waste — are dumped into the ocean every year, killing marine life and entering the human food chain, the United Nations Environment Programme said in December."

    I can't even imagine what 8 million tons looks like... and this is yearly?  Not good...
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    And again, not to preach but just to encourage, plastic bags can be rinsed and reused over and over.  We never buy them.  If someone gives us something in a plastic bag, it get rinsed or, if necessary, washed and reused over and over until absolutely unusable-- and then it gets recycled.  There is no reason 8 million tons of plastic should be being dumped in the ocean every year. 
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 3,171
    brianlux said:
    And again, not to preach but just to encourage, plastic bags can be rinsed and reused over and over.  We never buy them.  If someone gives us something in a plastic bag, it get rinsed or, if necessary, washed and reused over and over until absolutely unusable-- and then it gets recycled.  There is no reason 8 million tons of plastic should be being dumped in the ocean every year. 
    and again to encourage...I have used the same ziplock bags for years.  Amazing to me how people could just toss them out. 
  • PapPap Serres, GreecePosts: 19,260

    Ooh, yeah! All right!
    Were [Pearl] jammin
    I wanna [Pearl] jam it wid you.
    Were [Pearl] jammin, [Pearl] jammin
    And I hope you like [Pearl] jammin too.


    Sep 30, 2006 - OAKA Sports Hall - Athens, Greece
    Jul 11, 2014 - Milton Keynes Bowl - Milton Keynes, UK
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    I've heard of rooftop gardens but this is a new one to me- heard about it through David Byrne's site.





    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 7,449
    brianlux said:
    I've heard of rooftop gardens but this is a new one to me- heard about it through David Byrne's site.





    Sky Farm! I love the idea of being a “sky farmer”. 

    The statement in the article to the effect that “the built environment shapes how we move” really struck me. My city government has pushed ahead with building more and my dedicated bike lanes, despite loud opposition from car drivers and, at some points, the transit management and union. As soon as one major lane is complete, they just move on to the next one. These are great to cycle on - bidirectional, separates from the traffic, with their own automatic traffic lights. And it’s working - cycling is way up. Every day when I cycle to work I see masses of people on their bikes, heading out for their day. Parents with kids, students, businesspeople; everybody. It’s true that the built environment  of our cities can constrain or support us. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    brianlux said:
    I've heard of rooftop gardens but this is a new one to me- heard about it through David Byrne's site.





    Sky Farm! I love the idea of being a “sky farmer”. 

    The statement in the article to the effect that “the built environment shapes how we move” really struck me. My city government has pushed ahead with building more and my dedicated bike lanes, despite loud opposition from car drivers and, at some points, the transit management and union. As soon as one major lane is complete, they just move on to the next one. These are great to cycle on - bidirectional, separates from the traffic, with their own automatic traffic lights. And it’s working - cycling is way up. Every day when I cycle to work I see masses of people on their bikes, heading out for their day. Parents with kids, students, businesspeople; everybody. It’s true that the built environment  of our cities can constrain or support us. 
    :plus_one:
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • SmellymanSmellyman AsiaPosts: 3,171
    So many great ideas here.  I love this guy.  It's a long video, but his home is amazing too if you make it that far.


    Kirsten Dirksen's videos are all pretty dang good.

  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    Smellyman said:
    So many great ideas here.  I love this guy.  It's a long video, but his home is amazing too if you make it that far.


    Kirsten Dirksen's videos are all pretty dang good.

    Great stuff!!  Yeah, that house is excellent!  I wish I were that handy with building things! 
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    Conversation heard in my bank today:

    "Hello Mr. [name], how are you today?"

    "Living with the heat!"

    "Haha, yes, it is rather warm today."

    "Yeah, and PG&E sent me a notice saying 'Please reduce you air-conditioning use tomorrow between 2 and 6 PM'.  You think I'M going to lower my A/C use tomorrow?  HA! No way!"

    "Haha, no Mr. [name]."

    At which point, still keeping my eyes on the deposit slip I was filling out, I interjected, "Beats having a black-out."

    That man will blast his A/C tomorrow and then be the first to complain when the power goes out.

    But, yes, this thread is about solutions.  So when the weather gets hot (as it already is here in the Sierra Foothills, instead of blasting the A/C, take off some clothes.  In fact, when possible, run around butt naked and sing along with your favorite Pearl Jam record.  You'll feel better and save energy at the same time!
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 938
    Less People....a lot less.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    Less People....a lot less.
    Might I suggest "fewer"?  :wink:
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business...Posts: 938
    brianlux said:
    Less People....a lot less.
    Might I suggest "fewer"?  :wink:
    Yes, and that would work.  
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    brianlux said:
    Less People....a lot less.
    Might I suggest "fewer"?  :wink:
    Yes, and that would work.  
    Which, fewer people or less clothing/fewer clothes during hot weather?
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 7,449
    I think fewer clothes may lead to more people 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,264
    I think fewer clothes may lead to more people 
    Yyyyyyyeah... but it depends on the age group.  :lol:
    The reason I never give up hope is because everything is so basically hopeless.
    -Anne Lamott
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



1235»
Sign In or Register to comment.