Options

PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    how dumb is it for a team that is 28 games under .500 at the All-Star break to say the two guys playing the best at AAA paths are blocked to the major leagues? 
    The guy blocking Hoskins is on pace for 30 homers. Don't you think it makes sense to showcase him a little more in hopes of drawing interest from a trade partner as opposed to just sitting him? Had Joseph continued his poor play from May, I think Hoskins would've been up 3 or 4 weeks ago. 
    why would you trade Joseph if you don't know for sure Hoskins can play at this level? you have to find out if Hoskins can play here before trading Joseph in my opinion.  And why has Tommy Joseph earned the right to play every day?  Bring Hoskins up and play him 3 or 4 times a week and let those two share the time until you are sure which one is better.  
    Well they're both right handed hitters so you can't platoon them. Hoskins is ready. There's nothing more he can prove in Lehigh. So I agree with you that he should be brought up but prospects like him need to play every day. If there isn't room to play him full time, you have create room. I think you answered your question. 

The upside to the younger Hoskins is greater than that of the older Joseph. So they need to get what they can for Joseph and bring Hoskins up. No sense in bringing him up to be a part time player.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    how dumb is it for a team that is 28 games under .500 at the All-Star break to say the two guys playing the best at AAA paths are blocked to the major leagues? 
    The guy blocking Hoskins is on pace for 30 homers. Don't you think it makes sense to showcase him a little more in hopes of drawing interest from a trade partner as opposed to just sitting him? Had Joseph continued his poor play from May, I think Hoskins would've been up 3 or 4 weeks ago. 
    why would you trade Joseph if you don't know for sure Hoskins can play at this level? you have to find out if Hoskins can play here before trading Joseph in my opinion.  And why has Tommy Joseph earned the right to play every day?  Bring Hoskins up and play him 3 or 4 times a week and let those two share the time until you are sure which one is better.  
    Well they're both right handed hitters so you can't platoon them. Hoskins is ready. There's nothing more he can prove in Lehigh. So I agree with you that he should be brought up but prospects like him need to play every day. If there isn't room to play him full time, you have create room. I think you answered your question. 

The upside to the younger Hoskins is greater than that of the older Joseph. So they need to get what they can for Joseph and bring Hoskins up. No sense in bringing him up to be a part time player.
    that's just a stupid assertion that teams have. why the hell can't i play each guy 3 times a week just because they are both right handed?  so if Hopkins was left handed he'd be in the majors playing 3 times a week?  think about how ridiculous that is. a guy is not in the majors because he bats right handed...for a team that is 29 games under .500.
  • Options

Trying to understand the logic of someone who seems angry that the Phils have not called Hoskins up yet, even calling the team dumb for not doing so.....but on the other hand, wants him called up just so to be a part time player because of.....Tommy Joseph?

And if you don't understand why a platoon wouldn't work out with two right hand hitters....I don't think we're gonna get much further in this discussion. They want him to play every day regardless, though.

Would be a much easier decision if either of them could play a different position or if the NL had a designated hitter. But, alas, this is a real baseball league so that's a moo point. Moo. 

go phils.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,201

Trying to understand the logic of someone who seems angry that the Phils have not called Hoskins up yet, even calling the team dumb for not doing so.....but on the other hand, wants him called up just so to be a part time player because of.....Tommy Joseph?

And if you don't understand why a platoon wouldn't work out with two right hand hitters....I don't think we're gonna get much further in this discussion. They want him to play every day regardless, though.

Would be a much easier decision if either of them could play a different position or if the NL had a designated hitter. But, alas, this is a real baseball league so that's a moo point. Moo. 

go phils.

do you disagree that if Hoskins was left handed he'd be up? 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    pjhawks said:

go phils.

do you disagree that if Hoskins was left handed he'd be up? 

I think the odds of him being up would be greater if he was a lefty or if Joseph was a lefty because they'd probably do a short term platoon while trying to unload Joseph. That's how a platoon works. They'd be able to showcase Joseph in favorable pitching matchups. If you have two right handed first basemen who cannot play any other position, you're wasting a roster spot. A prospect like Hoskins needs to play every day. Ideally Joseph gets moved in the next couple weeks.

I like Joseph but his ceiling is most likely that of a below average to average at best player. Hoskins' ceiling is probably aboove average to good player and he's a couple years younger. 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Anyone have any insight on shows at TLA?
    Bought VIP tickets because I am a douchenozzle elitist but wondering what that means there, exactly. 
    Curious on feedback.  Looks like every spot would be good in such a small place but my wife is a midget.  She would be bummed to not be able to see.
    Seeing Slim John Popper and his Blues Traveler friends again.  If you are even remotely a fan of their music you should check them out in a small venue like this.  Popper can still sing and play his ass off. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Anyone have any insight on shows at TLA?
    Bought VIP tickets because I am a douchenozzle elitist but wondering what that means there, exactly. 
    Curious on feedback.  Looks like every spot would be good in such a small place but my wife is a midget.  She would be bummed to not be able to see.
    Seeing Slim John Popper and his Blues Traveler friends again.  If you are even remotely a fan of their music you should check them out in a small venue like this.  Popper can still sing and play his ass off. 
    You have access to a section of the balcony area right up front and easy access to the bar.  At least that is what I have had a couple times in the past. Not sure if it has changed at all.
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,785
    Yeah, I'd say that sounds like an overpay if I've ever heard one.Love the TLA though.

Big fan of Popper - somehow they always got lumped in with Hootie and the Blowfish and like the Spin Doctors. I guess just bad timing on their part when they got big.

Gorillaz show tomorrow night - pumped. But it's at Festival Pier, which is the opposite of the TLA and sucks. Not to mention (but mentioning) I have painful memories of hanging by my crotch on the fence getting backstage at a show there.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Saw Blues Traveler at The Electric Factory years ago. They were great. Yours was my wedding song.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Thanks!
    JearlPam -- hanging by one's crotch from a fence sounds fucking horrid.
    Overpay is often the way I roll -- and I am sure I piss away lots of money but a good time is always had.
    Up front + easy bar access?  Sounds worth it to me.  ;)

Not sure why BT gets a bad rap, those first 4 albums are really pretty good and if you see them the musicianship of lardo by himself if so frigging impressive.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    Thanks!
    Overpay is often the way I roll -- and I am sure I piss away lots of money but a good time is always had.

Not sure why BT gets a bad rap, those first 4 albums are really pretty good and if you see them the musicianship of lardo by himself if so frigging impressive.

Up front on the balcony that is.

Might have to keep this show on my radar.
  • Options
    Thanks!

Buy you a beer if you go, let me know.
    Might need to eat some badass sushi prior
  • Options
    Thanks!

Sounds good.

Zento is a solid spot in Old City, not too far from TLA.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,887
    Yeah, I'd say that sounds like an overpay if I've ever heard one.Love the TLA though.

Big fan of Popper - somehow they always got lumped in with Hootie and the Blowfish and like the Spin Doctors. I guess just bad timing on their part when they got big.

Gorillaz show tomorrow night - pumped. But it's at Festival Pier, which is the opposite of the TLA and sucks. Not to mention (but mentioning) I have painful memories of hanging by my crotch on the fence getting backstage at a show there.
    i'll be at the Gorillaz show as well :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Thanks!

Sounds good.

Stuck on Zama but should try a place that doesnt require a pint of blood to go along with your food and money.
  • Options
    Thanks!

Yeah it's not a place for anyone's crotch really. You do stupid shit when you're young.
  • Options
    Thanks!

Yeah it's not a place for anyone's crotch really. You do stupid shit when you're young.
    or last week on 4th of July
  • Options
    Thanks!

or last week on 4th of July
    Well, yeah....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndBjraV-3UY
  • Options
    Thanks!

Sounds good.

Stuck on Zama but should try a place that doesnt require a pint of blood to go along with your food and money.
    Zento is not Zama but it is a good spot.
  • Options
    Penn's Landing kinda sucks.  Saw The Gorillaz show tonight.  Tix said rain or shine.  It wasn't thundering or lightning, just rain.  So why did they send people out of the venue that were already there?  I pretty much stood out in the line for like an hour and half.  They llet people back around 8:30 or so.  Only caught the last song of the opening act.  Gorillaz went on at 9:30 and played until 11.  It was a good show, just the way they handled it was kinda poor. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Penn's Landing kinda sucks.  Saw The Gorillaz show tonight.  Tix said rain or shine.  It wasn't thundering or lightning, just rain.  So why did they send people out of the venue that were already there?  I pretty much stood out in the line for like an hour and half.  They llet people back around 8:30 or so.  Only caught the last song of the opening act.  Gorillaz went on at 9:30 and played until 11.  It was a good show, just the way they handled it was kinda poor. 
    I like Penn's Landing for the most part, never been a fan of Festival Pier.

So it didn't downpour and lightning for them to evacuate? We got there at like 745/8-ish and just saw huuuuuuuge lines up Delaware Ave. We hung out near the front gate where there was a mass of people and got in pretty quickly, once they actually opened the gates that is.

I guess all the kids these days like this Vince Staples. He was pretty pretty good.

Good show though. And what a weird crowd.

• Options
    I like Penn's Landing for the most part, never been a fan of Festival Pier.

So it didn't downpour and lightning for them to evacuate? We got there at like 745/8-ish and just saw huuuuuuuge lines up Delaware Ave. We hung out near the front gate where there was a mass of people and got in pretty quickly, once they actually opened the gates that is.

I guess all the kids these days like this Vince Staples. He was pretty pretty good.

Good show though. And what a weird crowd.

yeah it was a good show, they had to cut back a few songs though so that kinda sucked. 

I probably should have waited near the gate, but i was already in line (got there around 7:15).  Plus i didn't want to be a douche and cut in front of people and stuff.  I just thought it was handled pretty poorly. 
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    Pretty sure Dave just called you a douche.
    :lol:

• Options
    Pretty sure Dave just called you a douche.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • Options
    No 'pretty sure' about it. What can I say - I'd rather go home than wait in that line. Everyone got in, it was fine.
  • Options
    So how bout these Yelich/Stanton rumors?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Primus/Clutch at Festival Pier next weekend.
    Anyone going? 

I read the grumbling above about seeing a show @ FP... and I see that you can upgrade tickets for VIP to get Early Entry GA Pit Ticket. 
    Does anyone know if they have things partitioned to seperate and keep things from piling up?  Or, do they just have one giant area and if you want to be up front you have to deal with smelly assholes pushing up against you the whole show?

If it is sectioned off, VIP would seem to be worth it. 
    If not, most assuredly not worth it as I dont want to be a fucking sardine.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Anyone going? 

I read the grumbling above about seeing a show @ FP... and I see that you can upgrade tickets for VIP to get Early Entry GA Pit Ticket. 
    Does anyone know if they have things partitioned to seperate and keep things from piling up?  Or, do they just have one giant area and if you want to be up front you have to deal with smelly assholes pushing up against you the whole show?

I think the VIP is a small grandstand further back and to the side that's roped off, not sure about the pit.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:
    Anyone going? 

I think the VIP is a small grandstand further back and to the side that's roped off, not sure about the pit.
    Thanks, here is how it lists so I was thinking they throw you in with the masses, you just get an earlier entry to be closer to the stage.

One (1) general admission pit ticket (with early entry) to see Primus Live
  • Options
    Yeah, their VIP section is early entry and some small tiki porch setup in the back. What's funny was how many "VIP" people were going crazy during this whole evacuation process. Not sure if Primus/Clutch is going to the pull the same size crowd of the Gorillaz show so it might not be a problem anyhow. I've seen other shows there and the place was never as packed as I saw it last week.