Options

Lack of vinyl...

Comments

• Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    lets see...they want more of our money, so make your stuff artificially scare from the get go, release about half of them, and then sell the others for benefits, on ebay as some fake person, and let your true fans pay up the ass for a damn record they should be able to get anywhere.......Life

Records are hard to come by from any past release, and no band wants to sit on 5000 copies of an lp for 20 years.
    It is what it is, I think they could solve some things by letting everyone pre-order before pressing how many they want. Same damn thing with the posters. You are in the music business, not the fine arts business. you are not an art gallery whoring out Dali prints so he can eat to live.

I am very unsatisfied with the amount of limited shit of the past decade, only the people who care are getting screwed with their marketing and sales strategy. The band is very hypocritical on a lot of things, OP I am with you as well. Can you press more than 2000 of avocado fro crying out loud. up your run to 5/6 thousand. Now who knows runs on backspacer, etc that are still sitting around. In time all things have sold out, but storing crap cost money too...so no win in some ways as well.

PRINT MORE VINYL
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    Avocado was available in the shop for over a year.
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    Sadly we're not the standard consumer when it comes to this band. We're the ones that value them so much we'll turn around and spend quadruple the cost on a concert poster we weren't able to get at a show. The average consumer still cares little for vinyl, even less for vinyl from Pearl Jam (as do many of the post-punk/indie kids slurping up vinyl these days...I know SoundScan said rock was far and away the biggest selling vinyl genre right now, but I really do wonder about sub-genre).

Now would it be nice for them to continue repressing the other albums? Sure, and my bet is that they will when their anniversaries come around, but it's also a fact that the vinyl resurgence is still limited in nature and because of this it demands a higher margin approach to be worthwhile. When you consider the average demographic of PJ's fans who have arguably the most inelastic demand in the history of the universe when the band's goods are concerned, this point becomes even more valid.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    inelastic demand...good one
  • Options
    hrd2imgn said:

:-? yes, do tell?
    First: ATL2 04/03/1994
    Last: SEA2 08/10/2018
    Next: ??
    http://expressobeans.com/members/collections.php?id=29417
    “I think you won, but I enjoyed the fight” - EV
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2014

hrd2imgn said:

:-? yes, do tell?
    Demand is unaffected by change in prices
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    MedozK said:

demetrios said:

Pearl Jam has a lack of RSD vinyl releases! :(

If PJ management is reading this, man, offer up a 10club Monthly Exclusive Fanclub Vinyl release. THAT would be awesome, like to the max!!!

Or how about like every quarter like TMR. Pressed to order.
    I'd glad to pay $60 a quarter for some cool PJ vinyl ala Thirdman Records!!!
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    The original records were all easily available at the time. I think a lot of the time people only want stuff when its sold out. If the records were reissued then Im sure they would sell a few thousand but the rest would sit unsold like vs and vitalogy. If they pressed to order, a few years later people would still complain there are none available. How big is the demand for a Riot Act or Avocado reissue, not big really.
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    first world problems!!
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    vaggar99 said:

first world problems!!

Probably the most annoying recurring comment of all time.

Nothing personal.
  • Options
    oysterjaroysterjar NH Posts: 1,235
    edited March 2014
    october22 said:

vaggar99 said:

first world problems!!

Nothing personal.
    =D>

I hope they will some day and easily it could pay before production as some one else stated to ensure they are maximizing profit if it is that important to them. As Zod said most likely it is due to box sets that will be released in the future.
    Post edited by oysterjar on

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    edited March 2014
    october22 said:

vaggar99 said:

first world problems!!

Nothing personal.
    annoying, yet true.

to elaborate further...the post was mostly driven by all the whiny people that are raising such a huge stink about the change in format of the message board. I never knew what a bunch of spoiled brats PJ fans can be. Actually, I did. never mind.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    davetendaveten Ireland Posts: 143
    The band should release a vinyl boxset. Like the Beatles, oasis ect. Put the thing up for pre order. Keep everyone happy
    cork 96,dublin 96,dublin 00,dublin 06,london 08, dublin 10, belfast 10, ev solo London 2012
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Daveten that is an excellent idea.. All the studio and live on 2 and ten legs for $499. Huge cash grab and make alot of people happy. Preorder and make the run ala Vault 3. Simple solution. Maybe par down the packaging to help keep the original pressings hold the value yet everyone gets to let the records play.. Or split it into 2 boxes.. Early Years and Latter Years.. Ten-Yield Riot Act-Lightning Bolt.. Put them all on colored wax so even those with originals will probably double dip.. $299 per set.
    Post edited by OceansMagnet on
  • Options

Daveten that is an excellent idea.. All the studio and live on 2 and ten legs for $499. Huge cash grab and make alot of people happy. Preorder and make the run ala Vault 3. Simple solution. Maybe par down the packaging to help keep the original pressings hold the value yet everyone gets to let the records play.. Or split it into 2 boxes.. Early Years and Latter Years.. Ten-Yield Riot Act-Lightning Bolt.. Put them all on colored wax so even those with originals will probably double dip.. $299 per set.

Yes this

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Oasis did that , a vinyl box set of all vinyl limited to 1000.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Not to be a dick but...I'm looking for a decent reason why a band that is supposedly SO pro LP, makes absolutely no vinyl available for over 80% of it's catalog at a regular retail price. Is a $20 No Code that hard to produce?

I'd prefer to see newly pressed Binaural's than this stuff.....

Kinda like the guy who talks about the great sex life he has, when he's out with friends and it turns out it's usually him and his hand on any given Friday
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    This.
    hrd2imgn said:

PRINT MORE VINYL

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    $5-600 for a PJ box(es) seems pretty steep for 11 albums. Weren't the Beatles sets around $300, and those have great sound and packaging, and I'm not sure the PJ set would have that.

Start over with rTen, remastering all the albums from the original sources, and slap some really great sounding PJ tunes onto good wax, with some solid packaging and be done with it. Don't bother with the live or compilation albums, so the collectors still have a few cool pieces

Don't bother with the pressed to order thing, either. Works great for special releases, but standard albums should be pretty widely available for at least a couple years.

• Options
    davetendaveten Ireland Posts: 143
    Have the Beatles/oasis vinyl box sets. Weren't cheap. But worth every penny and very heavy! !!!
    cork 96,dublin 96,dublin 00,dublin 06,london 08, dublin 10, belfast 10, ev solo London 2012
  • Options
    DewieCox said:

$5-600 for a PJ box(es) seems pretty steep for 11 albums. Weren't the Beatles sets around $300, and those have great sound and packaging, and I'm not sure the PJ set would have that.

Start over with rTen, remastering all the albums from the original sources, and slap some really great sounding PJ tunes onto good wax, with some solid packaging and be done with it. Don't bother with the live or compilation albums, so the collectors still have a few cool pieces

Don't bother with the pressed to order thing, either. Works great for special releases, but standard albums should be pretty widely available for at least a couple years.

Although I completely agree that $600 is steep it would still save a lot of people thousands at that price.

Wind this thing up.

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    edited March 2014
    Seeing as I already have LPs of Ten Redux, vs/Vitty super deluxe, tenlegs, BS and LB (1st and second...), I'd spend FORTY dollars a release, not even a remaster, just a repress. Avocado, Binaural ,Riot Act, Yield, No Code. That's $200, PLUS mail innovations scenic route shipping. I'm not even talking about Live on Two Legs (which I contend is the finest live album EVER, just above At Budukan by Cheap Trick) or Lost Dogs or PJ20.

What's crazy is I also have ALL of these on effing CD (except for the Spacer and the Bolt) and in other various digi formats.

Or for $200 I could get 5 Back Spacer dog collars.

Post edited by ikiT on
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    5 backspacer dog collars. =))
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

mail innovations scenic route shipping.

"Scenic route" :-j It's funny cus it's true! My shit always takes 2-3 days to get from Auburn, WA to Logan Twp, NJ. Then it sits in "package transferred to post office" status for a day or two. Then it transfers to the Baltimore post office where it usually sits for another 3-4 days. Then takes another 2-3 days to get from Balto to my house (a 2 hr drive). Nothing like paying $9 shipping and it still takes 2-3 weeks to get here. Mail Innovations just downright fucking blows. We get charged entirely too much for shipping and its slower than media mail. I simply do not understand how this works. I got stickers from an Aussie member on here, and it cost less than $3 and only took 9 days to get here. Halfway around the damn globe. How can Mail Innovations cost so much more and take so much longer when it's just across the same country?

And yes, repress or reissue the damn studio albums already like EVERY OTHER 90's band has! I get Benaroya Hall and Vault 3 and Soldier Field and Sevens being rare, limited runs. But it should not be a wild golden goose chase for studio albums. EVER.
  • Options
    b
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    FR181798 said:

How big is the demand for a Riot Act or Avocado reissue, not big really.

Come to think of it I wouldn't Mind Riot Act :)

• Options
    edited March 2014
    Just checking on that nameless aucksshion site...("Pearl Jam LPs" are an interest I follow...)
    USED Riot Act LP, No Code LP, Live On Two Legs LP & Backspacer LP
    FOUR releases starting (including the totally still available Backspacer) for SEVEN FIFTY. $750
    Spin the Black Circle indeed...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    no code and yield have to come out soon as re-issues.
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773

Just checking on that nameless aucksshion site...("Pearl Jam LPs" are an interest I follow...)
    USED Riot Act LP, No Code LP, Live On Two Legs LP & Backspacer LP
    FOUR releases starting (including the totally still available Backspacer) for SEVEN FIFTY. $750
    Spin the Black Circle indeed...

Listing BS with those other 3 is such a joke. It's $15 at the shop here.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Always glad so see and contribute to any thread pointing out the frustration over the lack of PJ vinyl. Yes, it is VERY IRONIC.

Maybe if we keep this kind of thread going, maybe just maybe...

someday

somehow

SOMEBODY

WILL LISTEN!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.