Options

Lack of vinyl...

ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
edited March 2014 in The Porch
Not to be a dick but...I'm looking for a decent reason why a band that is supposedly SO pro LP, makes absolutely no vinyl available for over 80% of it's catalog at a regular retail price. Is a $20 No Code that hard to produce?

I'd prefer to see newly pressed Binaural's than this stuff.....
Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
Post edited by ikiT on

Comments

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    That and it would be nice if their vinyl was mastered and pressed correctly. Very few PJ albums sound better than "decent"
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    The profit margin on hats/scarves/shirts/etc. is larger than when you'd have to split proceeds with Sony.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Sorry JB, splitting the proceeds with Sony is not a what I consider a acceptable reason.
    This website is their official "store"...the fact is PJ is a band whose main product is music, they're not a clothing manufacturer.
    Try to buy some vinyl from the Foo Fighters site. http://www.myplaydirect.com/foo-fighters
    Post edited by ikiT on
  • Options
    nicky-p38nicky-p38 Posts: 394
    I could be wrong but in pretty sure they did put their albums out on vinyl when most didn't. They just weren't pressed in high numbers because nobody wanted vinyl then.
    As for no reissues on all studio albums...patience.
  • Options
    special deluxe version reissues aren't what I'm talking about...I'm just talking about basic 33 and a third records. Pressing records is a part of the business, it can't be all touring, bootleg digitals, and t-shirts. You can buy Metallica LPs on their site.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Have to agree with the original poster on this one. It's amazing how new bands and and older ones are making vinyl much more accessible via their own websites and stores than PJ does. For all the vinyl talk by PJ it seems that they are being surpassed by bands that don't talk about vinyl....they just do it.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,880
    Pearl Jam has a lack of RSD vinyl releases! :(

If PJ management is reading this, man, offer up a 10club Monthly Exclusive Fanclub Vinyl release. THAT would be awesome, like to the max!!!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited March 2014
    demetrios said:

Pearl Jam has a lack of RSD vinyl releases! :(

If PJ management is reading this, man, offer up a 10club Monthly Exclusive Fanclub Vinyl release. THAT would be awesome, like to the max!!!

Or how about like every quarter like TMR. Pressed to order.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    PJ on record store day would be a nightmare unless its out of 8000 or higher. Just repress the albums. No need for any announcements
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,880

PJ on record store day would be a nightmare unless its out of 8000 or higher. Just repress the albums. No need for any announcements

Just imagine ..

Pearl Jam No Code RSD Exclusive 2 LP Marble Blue!

• Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I agree. I do find it strange. Vinyl is pretty easy to come by for almost every other band I'm in to.

And as far as being patient...I don't think we should be holding our breath for deluxe stuff. Also, it shouldn't require patience. Shit should just be available. It's the music! We're not asking for anything special. In the days of digital, people here are asking for physical. Any band should be grateful for that and sell that shit!
  • Options
    dtr0624dtr0624 south jersey Posts: 611
    Esp since on their newest cd they have a song called let the records play and before that was spin but yet... No vinyl lol
    2012 - MIA (Philly)
    2013 - Philly 1, philly 2, charlottesville,
    2015 - NYC (global citizen)
    2016 - Philly 1&2
    2022 - Camden
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    Balls to RSD releases.

A huge portion of the fanbase just want a standard reissue of the studio albums, not ones with bells and whistles. Why they can't do this instead of resorting to the fancy reissue boxsets is crazy.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    october22 said:

...it shouldn't require patience. Shit should just be available. It's the music! We're not asking for anything special. In the days of digital, people here are asking for physical. Any band should be grateful for that and sell that shit!

Exactly! Especially THIS band.
  • Options
    jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    For all this talk about all this vinyl talk, where is it, because I don’t see it. Spin the Black Circle was 1994… picking out 45’s to cover for their Christmas single was 1998… Benaroya Hall, solely released as a collector’s item… Let the Records Play, has nothing to do with actual records. I think I missed the clips in PJ20 of everyone’s (or anyone’s) turntable setup. Was that in the deluxe version? And you know, the LP sized jackets, just look better when the talk show host is introducing you.

I don't think latter day Pearl Jam cares as much about vinyl other than it being another product to sell, and definitely not nearly as much as their fan base thinks they do. When asked to participate in RSD, they couldn’t be assed and went and repressed a 16 year old single that NO ONE was clamoring for a copy of. There will never be a shortage of Backspacers or Lightning Bolts now that they’re out on their own, and they’ll still provide you will collector’s items such as colored/variable speed platters because, someone will buy it. Maybe even find a few more copies to sell you a year later at a price more in line to market value, once they've learned what that is.

Viva la mercancía!
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    edited March 2014
    For contrast, look at Radiohead. You can get all their albums affordably on vinyl. They are mastered extremely well (or so I've heard, I don't own any yet), often split into 2 discs, and often even at 45 RPM. Totally contemporary to Pearl Jam. Have never made an issue out of vinyl the way PJ has, but have totally led the pack on providing excellent vinyl to their fan base. I love Pearl Jam, and wish they would learn from that example. Of course, Pearl Jam isn't even the worst culprit. Phish hasn't released their albums on vinyl at all for the most part. How is that remotely possible? I am so dying for a vinyl copy of Billy Breathes.
    Post edited by aurynsdad on
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I've been kicking around here for almost 4 years, and not taking into consideration the two studio records Back Spacer and Lightning Bolt , the limited release Vault vinyls, Live on 10 Legs , PJ20 and the available for 2 hours Sevens Box, came and disappeared quick. The Super Deluxe .vs and Vitalogy are available still, but they're not a $25 dollar item. \
    I'm not asking for represses of what was always understood were going to be limited edition Bennys or even Sevens ...I contend the bands REGULAR issue studio albums should be easier to obtain on vinyl.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    Just ask The Jam 10C for one and see what happens...
  • Options
    GustieIIIGustieIII Posts: 231
    edited March 2014
    Try buying a CD lately?
    Not just Vinyl.
    imagephoto bd154987-8295-42c9-8ca2-15437fd7b60d_zpsa0971b14.jpg" />
    Post edited by GustieIII on
    Like A Fist To The Jaw
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    That's understandable, but asking lets you know where your at...
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Basically THIS to the whole thread. The most frustrating part is that while it is no secret that fans are clamoring for it, there is really no statement of yay or nay or when. It's like weird protection for the very "auction site" we can't even talk about. Bizarre.

And to the board police: I do not feel entitled so save it. It's sort of just common courtesy to communicate on something that people that support you are wondering about especially when said thing is hardly a national security secret (though sometimes things get treated as such....it's MUSIC not nuclear secrets!!! LOL.).
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Their most popular and biggest selling LP's are widely available and not expensive. What everyone here is talking about is basically 4 LP's, 5 if you include ST. If PJ reissued Binaural then I guess a lot of people on here would jump on it but how many other people would actually buy it? They re-issued the big 3 because they knew they would move, the others, not so much.

BTW, I looked at the Metallica website and the only LP they offer at a reasonable price is Master of Puppets. Wasn't that like mid-eighties? They probably cut millions of those LP's.
  • Options
    weddingparadeweddingparade Posts: 1,179
    box sets make big money
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 773
    edited March 2014
    eddiec said:

Their most popular and biggest selling LP's are widely available and not expensive. What everyone here is talking about is basically 4 LP's, 5 if you include ST. If PJ reissued Binaural then I guess a lot of people on here would jump on it but how many other people would actually buy it? They re-issued the big 3 because they knew they would move, the others, not so much.

Then do the reissue at a volume that you are sure you can move. They don't have to be massive offerings. On a related note, does anyone know of a website that tells you how many copies of an album were pressed?
    Post edited by aurynsdad on
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!), 10/1/94 Bridge School, 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!), 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!), 10/25/03 B. School, 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!), 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!), 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!), 5/13/22 Oakland (W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    TheseGoToElevenTheseGoToEleven Charlotte, NC Posts: 106
    edited March 2014
    eddiec said:

On a related note, does anyone know of a website that tells you how many copies of an album were pressed?

Discogs.com is typically good for that info.
    [i]Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?[/i]
  • Options
    Bennyorr4Bennyorr4 Posts: 307
    I wish PJ was more like Third Man Records. They are ALL about the vinyl.
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    Exactly do CD...Digital...LP...just Pick and Choose the ones you want.
  • Options
    OceansMagnetOceansMagnet Posts: 1,031
    edited March 2014
    Perhaps they want us to enjoy the thrill of the hunt tracking down an elusive disc?? Maybe they just don't give a shit.. One thing is certain.. They do exactly what they want on their own terms.. Sometimes that frustrates the hell out of me, but I respect them too much to question their judgement.. Patience...
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,463
    I think the difference between PJ and other bands is how small (homegrown) the PJ organization is. Its easy to sell stuff if you're willing to give up control to contractors/vendors, but then you may end up with quality issues. I like the Foo Fighters and you can buy lots of their stuff in various formats, but its not all produced and controlled by FF
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,183
    I think the band (at some point in the future) wants to continue with the boxsets. If they release standalone vinyl before the boxset, then it will drive the demand down for boxsets. IE I don't think there's enough demand for the albums to get re-released then a year or two later re-released again in a boxset. Not a lot of people will want to double dip.

Sometimes ideas falll off the wayside. Maybe they should abandon the mega boxsets and rerelease the albums.

As for metallica they reissued a number of their albums a few years back I got the ones I would want (Ie the first 4). They were sold on becauseoundmatters.com.