Options

Portland Poster by EMEK - he needs 2 tickets

Final BowFinal Bow flying Posts: 486
edited November 2013 in The Porch
from EMEM Fb
any good people out there want to hook an artist up (me and my artist brother who is flying in from New York) with tickets to see the big concert in Portland on November 29th? I thought the band was going to give me some tickets, but i guess they could not get any. 2 nice seats for a signed and doodled poster from that show? or trade for something else? i have not asked for tickets since i was a kid, but i thought i'd try. how embarrassing. oh well. thanks- emek
---
Jun 05, 1992; Nov 04, 1996; Jun 09, 2000; Jun 26, 2000; Aug 29 2006, Sep 16, 2006; Sep 23, 2006; Sep 25, 2006; Sep 30, 2006; Jun 12, 2007; Jun 13, 2007; Jun 18, 2007; Jun 21, 2007; Jun 26, 2007; Jun 28, 2007; Jun 17, 2008; Jun 19, 2008; Jun 20; 2008; Jun 22, 2008; Jun 24, 2008; Jun 25, 2008; Aug 13, 2009; Aug 15; 2009; Aug 18, 2009; Oct 06, 2009; Oct 07, 2009; Oct 09, 2009; Jun 22; 2010; Jun 23, 2010; Jun 25, 2010; Jun 30, 2010; Sept 03, 2011; Sept 04, 2011; Sept 07, 2011; Sept 14, 2011; Sept 15, 2011; Jun 20 2012; Jun 21 2012; Jun 26 2012; Jun 27 2012; Jul 02 2012; Jul 04 2012; Jul 05 2012; Jul 07 2012; Jul 09 2012; Jul 10 2012; Oct 15 2013; Oct 16 2013; Oct 18 2013; Oct 19 2013; Oct 21 2013; Oct 22 2013; Jun 16 2014; Jun 17 2014; Jun 20 2014; Jun 22 2014; Jun 25 2014; Jun 26 2014; Jul 11 2014; Nov 14 2015; Nov 17 2015; Nov 20 2015; Nov 22 2015; Apr 16 2016; Apr 18 2016; Apr 20 2016; Apr 21 2016
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,885
    :shock:

Wow, I really hope someone hooks EMEK up with a pair
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    Final Bow wrote:
    from EMEM Fb
    any good people out there want to hook an artist up (me and my artist brother who is flying in from New York) with tickets to see the big concert in Portland on November 29th? I thought the band was going to give me some tickets, but i guess they could not get any. 2 nice seats for a signed and doodled poster from that show? or trade for something else? i have not HAD TO PAY for tickets since i was a kid. how embarrassing. oh well. thanks- emek
    ---

I fixed it...
  • Options
    Weird PJ can't fix tickets.

Weird he's asking for free ones instead of just buying...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    That's crazy. You'd think part of the perk of doing the show poster would be getting tickets for the show.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    boyo79 wrote:
    That's crazy. You'd think part of the perk of doing the show poster would be getting tickets for the show.
    You're right. This should be almost automatic. I wonder if he pissed someone off in management and they're giving him the snub.
  • Options
    I wish I had a pair ..... of tickets :lol: to give him - i bet he doodles something real awesome on that poster
  • Options
    chinobaezachinobaeza Santiago Posts: 2,489
    I wish I had a pair...I would trade them for a Santa Barbara poster :lol::lol:
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    so,Emek didnt won the lottery :P :o
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    joe2468joe2468 Posts: 3,049
    chinobaeza wrote:

Just send an email to his "wishlist" address ........I just got one two weeks ago ;)
    have you seen the colors of my fathers eyes
  • Options
    ....word on the streets is pearl jam doesn't take care of there artist ...........i good friends with a certain artist and he tells me all the time how working with pj can be a real pain the ass
  • Options
    choopchoop Posts: 1,060
    the show is mostly sold out as an FYI to those asking why he doesn't just buy them. All that is left are obstructed/limited view. You'd all be posting for tickets too if you needed them.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Like some of the other shows, after the stage is set up, the box office might have remaining seats on sale in the early afternoon. Worth a shot.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,727
    joe2468 wrote:
    chinobaeza wrote:

Just send an email to his "wishlist" address ........I just got one two weeks ago ;)

really???
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    joe2468 wrote:
    chinobaeza wrote:

Joe, get me the Foil Australia EV print?! Eating at his sister-in-law's restaurant didn't land it for me LOL..
  • Options
    joe2468 wrote:
    ....word on the streets is pearl jam doesn't take care of there artist ...........i good friends with a certain artist and he tells me all the time how working with pj can be a real pain the ass

Interesting - guess they can't pass up the $.

SHOW COUNT: (149) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=89, US=109, CAN=15, Europe=19 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:  Sacramento, Vegas x2, Manchester, London, Chicago x2, NYC x2, Fenway x2, Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,245
    Face value only guess he doesnt read the rules either :lol:
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,727
    Horse2345 wrote:
    Face value only guess he doesnt read the rules either :lol:

LOL

in fairness he didn't post it here.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,600
    pretty lame. surprised he isn't backstage.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options

to be fair, out of principle, since he did design the poster for the event, i dont think he should have to pay to enter that said event.

and hes not asking for free ones, hes asking for a trade. which i would love to see what would be on the table.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,944
    FrankBauer wrote:

to be fair, out of principle, since he did design the poster for the event, i dont think he should have to pay to enter that said event.

and hes not asking for free ones, hes asking for a trade. which i would love to see what would be on the table.

Why should he not have to pay? If he wants tickets for the show as part of his compensation he should work that into his contract. He did not do that poster for free. He was paid, and he will make a killing selling his artist edition for more than most others would.

Buy your own tickets EMEK.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    JimmyV wrote:
    FrankBauer wrote:

Why should he not have to pay? If he wants tickets for the show as part of his compensation he should work that into his contract. He did not do that poster for free. He was paid, and he will make a killing selling his artist edition for more than most others would.

I do agree that if he wanted tickets they should have been listed in the contract. Maybe in the past it wasn't and it was just assumed that he would get tickets like before. either way, this may backfire on him down the road.
  • Options
    For fucks sake - shit talking a guy who isn't even on the forum - didn't post on the forum - and is trying to trade something for a pair of tickets.
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:

not sure if there is an "official contract..." from the few artists i've talked to, they get contacted and they come up with an image. maybe there's a contract...who knows, but it all seems rather informal. and i've heard the same too, that PJ/management isn't that kindest to their artists. and from what i understand, they are also handcuffed creatively and limited to how they sell their AE. and maybe someone else knows this definitively, but the artists are not paid a commission for their work right? the only money they make is from the AE they sell?

posters are a big part of the concert experience....i feel like if you contribute to an event, especially how damn important posters are to us fans, and making it a special memorable night, 2 tickets to that show isn't a ridiculous request. i think it should be expected if said artist happens to be in the city and can attend the show. you're right, making a poster for the band, everyone wins...artist gains notoriety and makes money (but so does the band), i just dont see a big deal for 2 tickets.

if anyone has earned the right to "overcharge" for artist edition gigposters, its emek. and mydog is right, emek didnt post this in the forums, he made a simple request on FB and it was for a trade (nothing wrong with that). at the end of the day, the band can give tickets to whoever they want to.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,054
    you are correct, artists make their $ on the S/N artist sale. PJ makes the money on the show editions.
  • Options
    you are correct, artists make their $ on the S/N artist sale. PJ makes the money on the show editions.

and pj make considerably more than the artists. printing costs are about $5-6 a poster i think. they are making like $20K on posters, whereas an artist is making like $10-15K.

the venues probably get a cut of PJs share though.
    "If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph: The only proof he needed for the existence of God was music." KV Jr.
  • Options
    joe2468 wrote:

I'd like to hear more about this.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!) • 10/1/94 Bridge School • 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!) • 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!) • 10/25/03 B. School • 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!) • 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!) • 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!) • 5/13/22 Oakland (had to leave early, but W.M.A.! Immortality!)
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,944
    FrankBauer wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:

not sure if there is an "official contract..." from the few artists i've talked to, they get contacted and they come up with an image. maybe there's a contract...who knows, but it all seems rather informal. and i've heard the same too, that PJ/management isn't that kindest to their artists. and from what i understand, they are also handcuffed creatively and limited to how they sell their AE. and maybe someone else knows this definitively, but the artists are not paid a commission for their work right? the only money they make is from the AE they sell?

posters are a big part of the concert experience....i feel like if you contribute to an event, especially how damn important posters are to us fans, and making it a special memorable night, 2 tickets to that show isn't a ridiculous request. i think it should be expected if said artist happens to be in the city and can attend the show. you're right, making a poster for the band, everyone wins...artist gains notoriety and makes money (but so does the band), i just dont see a big deal for 2 tickets.

if anyone has earned the right to "overcharge" for artist edition gigposters, its emek. and mydog is right, emek didnt post this in the forums, he made a simple request on FB and it was for a trade (nothing wrong with that). at the end of the day, the band can give tickets to whoever they want to.

I don't think two tickets is a big deal either but I also don't think EMEK should just expect that he will be comped tickets. He was paid for his work. He will make more money charging fans for his AE's. Expecting tickets too seems a lot like entitlement.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    ^ in fairness to EMEK, i live in Portland and end up at a lot of the shows he does posters for and he is always there at those shows. maybe it was just something he expected because of precedent. again, if good seats could be bought right now, i'm sure he would buy them, but there are only obstructed view tickets. and they just released them, last week it was no tickets available. i don't think its unreasonable to assume. i bet ames bros get tix to the seattle shows.

and through work i've been close to the friends/family section at PJ before and they definitely comp a ton of people, so this whole situation is odd to me.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,554
    Maybe Emek is making a public statement here. I think he is taking a shot at PJ by saying the band din't have two tickets for him. I don't see how you could read his statement and not see it as a dig against PJ.
  • Options
    Trust me he's takin a stab at them.....the artist get shit in return from pj
    And to add Gass to the fire.you ever notice how Ames always gets the ok to sell more s/n prints hen Everyone else
    <!-- e --><a href="mailto:wishlist@emek.net">wishlist@emek.net</a><!-- e -->