Options

*** Charlottesville Fanviews Here 10/29/13 ***

Comments

• Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    I realize that set lists are a personal preference thing, but for me, the one last night was THE BEST EVER. The band really put a lot into the show, almost as if they felt they had something to prove. Judging by the relative tameness of the crowd, I agree with that sentiment. But they left it all on the stage last night, and I enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed Baltimore, with one difference: for me an all-time peak for the set list. Thanks guys, you cranked it up a notch yet again.
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    chainchain Montreal Posts: 336
    Hail, Hail the lucky ones i refer to those in Charlottesville yeah!!!

Killer setlist!!!
    Toronto 96-09-21 / Montreal 98-08-20
    Barrie 98-08-22 / Montreal 00-10-04 / Montreal 03-06-29
    Montreal 05-09-15 / Quebec 05-09-20 / Montreal 11-09-07
    Worcester 13-10-15 / Denver 14-10-22 / Quebec 16-05-05
    Ottawa 16-05-08 / Ottawa 20-03-20 / Quebec 20-03-22
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    In My Tree
    &
    I Am Mine
    &
    Big Wave

NICE
  • Options
    wndowpayne wrote:
    Why all the hating on the crowd? PJ has never hit this town before and I was thrilled at the crowd..I thought the band was very appreciative as well..no need to coax it out of us, as some have implied. I was told 11,000 strong last night and the majority was having a blast..

I was in the front row of the pit and looked around several times through the concert and the crowd always seemed energized. Of course the pit, floor, and side sections were rocking out more, but I thought the crowd was great. The band seemed to really enjoy it and notice it also. My wife isn't a Pearl Jam fan, but she likes their music and loves Mike McCready. I think this show and being that close completely changed her view and now she understand the connection that Pearl Jam fans have with the band.

A shout out to the couple from Harrisonburg, VA that my wife and I met and the couple for Northern Virginia also. It was all of our first time this close let alone on the rail. And to the two brothers next to me that let me and wife take a picture with Eddie's tambourine they caught, THANK YOU!
    Virginia Beach, VA - 06/17/2008 Bristow, VA - 05/13/2010 Charlottesville, VA - 10/29/2013
  • Options
    One word: FUN! This concert was a blast. They guys seemed relaxed and happy and the crowd, at least where I was, was totally into it. My 10C seats were the best I've ever had with my number (336xxx) in the first row on the floor past GA dead center. Baltimore and C-ville are my only shows this tour and I loved both for different reasons, but I have to admit I was worried about C-ville being a let-down after Baltimore- my mistake!! The venue staff were all so nice- thanks go out to the security guard who protected my sister and caught the fence-diver who tried to summersault her way into GA!! :lol: I asked him what the curfew was at JPJ and he said he didn't think there was one. I knew we were in for it, then!!

(sidenote: I ended up GIVING AWAY another pair of 10c tickets to some random guys at the entrance because I couldn't find a buyer after 2 people backed out at the last minute- people, please- don't commit to buying someone else's tickets unless you're 100% sure you're going to the damn concert!!! Anyway- I think the guys were appreciative, since it moved them from section 300 to the floor right behind me.)

Loved McCready roaming around GA right in front of me! Loved Eddie's special attention to Jeff :) and Stone. Loved Matt downing the bottle of wine- we never see enough of Matt! Sleight of Hand, In My Tree, SOLAT, and Footsteps were all on my list of hopefuls tonight, so I think they must've read my mind. I wasn't a huge fan of Mind Your Manners on the cd, but it really comes alive in concert. RVM was probably the best I've ever heard. The band sounded tight and on it- and they all seemed blown away by the crowd- especially at the end.

Major post-concert depression coming on. Only cure is a good nap, and then maybe some ice cream as I watch PJ20. :lol: Hope everyone has a great time at the up-coming shows!!!
    We're all different behind the eyes.

You are U, who you are.
  • Options
    n8dawg79n8dawg79 Virginia Posts: 129
    MW276301 wrote:
    A shout out to the couple from Harrisonburg, VA that my wife and I met and the couple for Northern Virginia also. It was all of our first time this close let alone on the rail. And to the two brothers next to me that let me and wife take a picture with Eddie's tambourine they caught, THANK YOU!

A shout right back at you from Harrisonburg! GA was the place to be last night.
    Salt Lake City, Utah - Sept 28, 2009
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 3. 2011
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 4, 2011
    Charlottesville, Virginia - Oct 29, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia - Apr 18, 2016
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Wow. Now that is a setlist!
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,109
    That was a terrific show. The bands energy was outstanding!

I'm going to withhold judgement as to where it fits in my favorites until I'm further away from the show date. Otherwise I tend to rank the most recent show a little higher than reality in the after show glow!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    After a very TOUGH year, going accross country & coming back to VA, i unfortunately missed the 10C tickets, but DO NOT CARE! This show was the best of the 3 I've seen! I'm so glad I was lucky enough to be there.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Options
    bobasfeet wrote:
    I would also like to add that I know it has been mentioned on the Porch already, but the HD video feeds that they are using for the screens is out of this world. It's like some Palladia looking shit and the thought that someone is sitting on all this footage and what could be done with it makes my mouth water.

This. I was in section 103 and at times I found it hard not to watch the video. The next dvd should be unreal.

What an amazing show. I saw many songs I hadn't seen before. It was also my sixteen year old daughter's first show. She is "too cool for school" these days but she walked away impressed. I saw her singing along and smiling throughout. I could tell she was surprised by how many songs she "knew." I wasn't,I've been playing Pearl Jam for her since she was born. I couldn't have asked for a better show to introduce her to them live.

That is awesome! I can't wait until my daughter is old enough for me to bring her along
    to the universe i don't mean a thing,
    and there's just one word that i still believe,
    and it's love... love
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    Great show last night! Just got home and still trying to come up with words.

First of all . . . Pearl Jam in Charlottesville. Enjoyed a perfect drive down on Tuesday and a great lunch downtown, loved the people watching in the parking lot before the show, and had perfect seats again. Thank you, 10C. I love my high number putting me on the floor aisle in small arenas! Last night security let me stand in the back in front of the sound booth where I could dance and see the whole stage. As already mentioned, many tunes rocked. So glad to hear "In My Tree" and "Thumbing My Way" especially.

After the show, I returned to the spot where I had earlier tried to smoke behind the building but discovered it was totally blocked off by security. I hung out about 50 feet in the air above the back entrance to wave good-bye to the guys. I couldn't let Pearl Jam leave Charlottesville without a send off. Finally around 1:30, everybody was out. Boom and Mike waved to us above, and it was pleasant to see Eddie had friends with him. He was not able to talk to us because we were so far up and he was saying good-bye to the folks below, but we appreciated his wave while he drove off. Then after we left to go back to our cars in our parking lot, Eddie's car came flying through to drop his friend off parked one row over from me, so we got to cheer him on again. It was a hilarious moment watching him get away! Safe travels, pal.

To top everything off, I stumbled across Bill Clinton this morning, as he was on the downtown mall doing an event for Terry McAuliffe, our candidate for governor. How cool was that?! I got to fucking shake Bill Clinton's hand while getting my Pearl Jam hangover coffee. I wonder if he was at the concert last night. Unbelievable day.

What a fall. First Baltimore, and then Charlottesville. Thanks, Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    Only part of the night that I thought could be better (set wise) was Thumbing my Way and Sleight of Hand. That sequence just didn't seem to work. Maybe it's because Thumbing has never been one of my favs and Sleight is a bit on the longer side. It just seemed to me that people used those 2 songs for a piss break and the energy/attention of the crowd was lost.

Some folks used "Thumbing" and "Sleight" for a pee break? What are those beer cups for?!?! :nono:
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    :o you got to shake William Jefferson Clinton's hand
    now that is COOL!
  • Options
    Here goes my story. Im a fan from Puerto Rico. Got 10c reserved for Baltimore and for C-ville. I was staying in Arlington. Had my flight back home early wed morning. We were soooo tired monday that decided not to drive almost 5 hours to the c-ville show. Last minute call on tues morning- lets do it!!!

Thank the music gods that we did!!! Arrieved at c-ville around 3:0pm. Got out gear, went to Mellow Mushroom pizza (GREAT beer selection) and then go back and slept like 1 hour at the parking lot. WHAT A SHOW!!!!!! I cannot even think the amount of regret I would have if we had deciced not to go. Was @ the 5th row reserved right in the middle of it.

THe arena is amazing. The sound was so pristine!!!!! Thank you pearl jam and thanks the the Jamily.....Already back home and with my mind in Charlotte.
    Tampa 08, MSG 5/20/2010, MSG 5/21/2010, Wrigley 2013
  • Options
    VERY jealous of this setlist! So different from the rest on this tour so far

Hope to hear Thumbing live one day!
  • Options
    Dimenna412Dimenna412 Baltimore Posts: 9
    I've read most of the reviews on here, and I'm a little surprised that some people had some negative things to say about the Baltimore show. I managed to score tickets to both Baltimore and Charlottesville. I hate saying one show is better than the other, just like I hate saying that for any PJ show. Every show I've been to, granted only a small handful, have been memorable for different reasons. Baltimore was awesome, I for one thought the crowd had amazing energy the entire time, and living in Baltimore, I can say that we were pretty effin excited to see them play in First Mariner.

Having said all of that, last night's show was a fan's fan show. I was disappointed that it was not sold out, and being in the general admission area, I couldn't really get a feel for the overall crowd energy. I can say that in GA, we were all pumped, singing lyrics as loud as we could from beginning to end. The band was amazing as always, but having never been that close to the stage before, I really had no idea just how much they interact with the crowd throughout the whole show.

The highlights are obvious and have been said repeatedly throughout, but I just want to add my two cents about how amazing Little Wing was. Of all the guitarists that attempt to emulate Hendrix, none have done it better than SRV and Mike. It was chilling to hear him rip his guitar to shreds in that song, and I couldn't help but feel that must have been how people felt 35 years ago hearing Hendrix in person. Mike is a truly underrated guitarist that always manages to amaze me every time I see him live or listen to a bootleg.
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,013
    Apologies upfront for the long post but i just had to put this up here. 2 days ago i sent the following to ten club...

Thumbing My Way to Charlottsville, VA

Dear Ten Club

I know this is a long shot but I thought I would give it a try none the less.

I am a fan from South Africa.

You guys probably get these sorts of stories and requests all the time. My PJ journey has been as follows: Brisbane (2006); Sydney and Brisbane (2009); Buenes Aires (2011); Manchester, Amsterdam and Prague (2012); New York and Philadelphia (2013).

I am currently in a hotel in Charlottsville knowing that Baltimore must be really rocking at this very moment! Charlottsville is my final show of this tour before I head back to South Africa.

The two songs I have always wanted to see live have been Long Road and Thumbing. I got Long Road at Philly I at my 13th show and Come Back at Philly II brought tears to my eyes because of the people I have lost in the last couple of years, like so many other people on this forum. So I don't consider myself unique or special by any margin.

There is nothing more I would love than to hear Thumbing here in Charlottsvile. I know it's weird but it's my fav PJ song-will always be.

This is a simple request. I don't really care if it doesn't happen as PJ has given me so much of joy over the years that to expect them to play one song for one fan is sometimes a bit too self indulgent. I will still have a great time at the show I know, as I have at all 14 shows I have been to around the world to date.

I just felt I had to say this. Thank you Pearl Jam for wonderful shows, in a wonderful country that I have visited for the first time and to all the friendly and wonderful people of this great land.

I fly back home on Thursday, 30 Oct and take with me irreplaceable memories I will forever cherish.

Thank you!

Mags

So cool that I got the following reply from ten club

Hello Mags,

Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Please know that Ten Club receives an overwhelming volume of song requests during a tour. However, we have gone ahead and passed yours along. Please understand if we are unable to honor your request though.

We're so glad you could join us on the North American Tour!!! We know you will enjoy this last show regardless.

Best Wishes,
    10c

Ed said before playing Thumbing that the song was for someone special called Michael. Is there a Michael who may have also requested Thumbing?
    I am currently in a hotel close to JFK flying back home tomorrow. I have been in the States for 3 glorious weeks, 4 cities and 5 mind blowing shows. I really cannot say which of the shows I saw were my favourites. Charlottsville and Brooklyn II do stand out though. But on the other hand I got Long Road and Come Back at the Philly shows :)

I cannot believe the response I got from ten club to my request for Thumbing, the band for actually playing it and I cannot believe I got Thumbing, my favorite PJ song.
    I go home beaming from ear to ear knowing that this is a band who truly cares about their fans.

To David my ten club spare ticket partner, thank you for a memorable evening. We drank copious amounts of beer last night (something i don't always do at shows for fear of missing songs because of piss breaks-missed Down in the process!) and really rocking out!

I cannot believe I got Thumbing, Down and Sad at the same show-3 of my all time favorites.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Mags
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Yhippa wrote:
    I have about 80 minutes of video I'll be posting on YouTube within the next day or two.
    Wow I cannot wait to see this!!'
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Wow Mags, lovely story! Shows the power of making a simple request... And then being unattached to the outcome. Hopeful, but not pushing it. It's a favorite song of mine too, so I guess I should thank you as well as the band for doing it! :D
  • Options
    Incredible setlist and show: The opening 3 were amazing: Pendulum, Release, In My Tree.

Down into RVM,

Unreal: Grievance, Faithfull, Sad, Thumbing My Way, Footsteps, Mother, Swallowed Whole, Got my first Big Wave.

I don't post often but Ive got to say something: I never understand when people post that the crowd ruined the show for them. I could care less how the rest of the crowd is. If it's a great show (which it will be because any PJ show is likely to be great) its a great show. The boys are on fire this tour and last night was no exception. Their show might be better now than 10-15 years ago. But, I think it is fair to note that the crowd was the weakest I've ever seen. Again, it didn't change the show for me personally at all, but people have to stop saying "tour the south more". Last night was the prime example of why PJ rarely tour the south. I was in section 114 with fanclub seats and there were rows of people sitting and on their phones the whole show. Sitting, fine, people are older, who knows, they want to enjoy the show that way and that's cool, but you can't defend being on an iphone for an extended period during a show. Section 113 to my right looked even worse. When they played Sad you would have thought the guys farted on stage. If it wasn't Corduroy or Jeremy, the crowd couldn't care less. Again, didn't ruin anything for me, as it was in my top 5 for me after 30 + shows, but PJ should just add more shows in the northeast. Those crowds energy are always high regardless. Disclaimer: Its just my opinion alone and it should not effect any of your thoughts of the show.
  • Options
    vickisomoyavickisomoya Seattle, WA Posts: 184
    Mags - Thanks for sharing your story. It is great to hear that you came from so far away to see them, and you had a great experience and met some great people here in the States. Makes me so happy and proud to be a PJ fan and also an American, because not much else about America makes me feel that way lately.

Also that you got your song in Charlottesville! This too is the song I need to hear live before I die. I really loved the way Ed sang it last night (just saw it on you tube!). Glad to hear it made you happy too.

Take Care and come back!
    V.
    take the reigns and
    steer us towards the clear here
    I know it's already been sung
    but it can't be said enough
    ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

• Options
    Epic concert. I was supposed to go to Baltimore, but got tickets for this one instead (Thank you Ten club!!), and I already know everything happens for a reason. What a great setlist! So many songs that don't get play a lot...Sad, Thumbling my way, Breath, Footsteps? Like 3 or 4 different covers? Mike playing Hendrix, that was the cherry on the cake...and all that action, and the kids? what a great final, and the crowd, oh my, what an awesome crowd! I do not think I will get to see a better one, but who knows...
  • Options
    tottototto Posts: 291
    Apologies upfront for the long post but i just had to put this up here. 2 days ago i sent the following to ten club...

Dear Ten Club

You guys probably get these sorts of stories and requests all the time. My PJ journey has been as follows: Brisbane (2006); Sydney and Brisbane (2009); Buenes Aires (2011); Manchester, Amsterdam and Prague (2012); New York and Philadelphia (2013).

I am currently in a hotel in Charlottsville knowing that Baltimore must be really rocking at this very moment! Charlottsville is my final show of this tour before I head back to South Africa.

The two songs I have always wanted to see live have been Long Road and Thumbing. I got Long Road at Philly I at my 13th show and Come Back at Philly II brought tears to my eyes because of the people I have lost in the last couple of years, like so many other people on this forum. So I don't consider myself unique or special by any margin.

There is nothing more I would love than to hear Thumbing here in Charlottsvile. I know it's weird but it's my fav PJ song-will always be.

This is a simple request. I don't really care if it doesn't happen as PJ has given me so much of joy over the years that to expect them to play one song for one fan is sometimes a bit too self indulgent. I will still have a great time at the show I know, as I have at all 14 shows I have been to around the world to date.

I just felt I had to say this. Thank you Pearl Jam for wonderful shows, in a wonderful country that I have visited for the first time and to all the friendly and wonderful people of this great land.

I fly back home on Thursday, 30 Oct and take with me irreplaceable memories I will forever cherish.

Thank you!

Mags

Hello Mags,

Please know that Ten Club receives an overwhelming volume of song requests during a tour. However, we have gone ahead and passed yours along. Please understand if we are unable to honor your request though.

We're so glad you could join us on the North American Tour!!! We know you will enjoy this last show regardless.

Best Wishes,
    10c

Ed said before playing Thumbing that the song was for someone special called Michael. Is there a Michael who may have also requested Thumbing?
    I am currently in a hotel close to JFK flying back home tomorrow. I have been in the States for 3 glorious weeks, 4 cities and 5 mind blowing shows. I really cannot say which of the shows I saw were my favourites. Charlottsville and Brooklyn II do stand out though. But on the other hand I got Long Road and Come Back at the Philly shows :)

I cannot believe the response I got from ten club to my request for Thumbing, the band for actually playing it and I cannot believe I got Thumbing, my favorite PJ song.
    I go home beaming from ear to ear knowing that this is a band who truly cares about their fans.

To David my ten club spare ticket partner, thank you for a memorable evening. We drank copious amounts of beer last night (something i don't always do at shows for fear of missing songs because of piss breaks-missed Down in the process!) and really rocking out!

I cannot believe I got Thumbing, Down and Sad at the same show-3 of my all time favorites.

Mags

Safe travels Mags, I was at the show and now back home in the Midwest. I spent the day on flights and on my phone reading all of the posts about the show. Your request fulfilled by the band gave many of us a very rare gift. I could not believe it when Ed starting playing the first few notes. A fellow 10c member next to me who I never met before turned put his arm around me and said they are really playing it? Our entire section sang along swaying back and forth like someone just played the last song of the night at bar time. It was special.
    Milwaukee, 7/8/95
    Milwaukee, 6/30/06
    East Troy, 9/3/11
    East Troy, 9/4/11
    San Jose, Costa Rica 11/20/11
    Manchester, England 6/20/12
    London, Canada 7/16/13
    Chicago, 7/19/13
    Charlottesville, 10/29/13 *** Favorite Show****
    Milwaukee, 10/20/14
    Chicago, 8/20/18
    Boston, 9/4/18
    St. Louis, 9/18/22
    St Paul, 8/31/23
    St Pau,l 9/2/23
    Austin, 9/18/23
    Austin, 9/19/23
    Chicago, 8/29/24
    Chicago, 8/31/24
  • Options
    NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    Eh - not impressed. Where is the money song? ;)

JUST KIDDING -- sick set list! i'm definitely getting this boot!
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Options
    JH6056 wrote:
    Wow Mags, lovely story! Shows the power of making a simple request... And then being unattached to the outcome. Hopeful, but not pushing it. It's a favorite song of mine too, so I guess I should thank you as well as the band for doing it! :D
    Thank you ;)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    embraceembrace Posts: 849
    I could spend many paragraphs on the setlist alone (*^%^$%!) but I am taking some advice and shying away from being shy- so I apologize in advance for length and digressions..This show= grand slam show on several dimensions….not sure a review could put into words the output of these guys last night. Must say special thanks to Dimi who selflessly spent some time trying to help me find a home for extra tickets.

Opened up a crowd from waiting watching to one left wanting and wanting badly– to cut if off with Little Wing…and not bring it back down was brilliant- albeit a bit cruel ;) (jaw left hanging)The boys put it all on the table up front- wide open, hard, simply on and cranked up. What an incredible first set and incredible selection that just fit…tight. Any apprehension that existed with tickets gone unused or the perceived conservative culture in VA was blown to bits...I think Mike, Ed, Matt, Stone, Jeff and Boom worked for it and the result was collective minds/bodies/souls fully tuned in.

BIGGEST UNEXPECTED THRILL: I accompanied 5 people who have never seen Pearl Jam live and witnessing the impact made on them is unbelievable. There is nothing that compares to the personal experience of watching the impact of something that has already touched you and continues to, so deeply affect others in an incredible and positive way. I ran into friends I’ve known for 21 years and rarely see -one with whom I shared most everything, another serendipitously with whom I would talk for hours on music, Seattle, PJ and trade early bootlegs on cassette-(first Copenhagen comes to mind) ….In short, hearing comments outside of my own personal holy fkn shit (which is becoming a banner statement after each of the shows on this tour en fuego) was the most incredible thing- My sister saying of Ed…he dances, he sweats, he is so totally into it- how does he keep giving out all that energy over and over…(amazing huh?!- the giver that is Ed), my 12 year old nephew texting me throughout the night on how amazing it was and how he was blown away- my friend who had her first listen 20+ years ago was so glad she finally has seen them live, wondering what took her so long. My 15yo niece more than once stating simply how GREAT it was. She recalled how I played Thumbing My Way one night for here when we were trading songs and how she added it to her collection immediately- to hear it live at her first show- 8-) They fell in love and I fell in love all over again watching the sheer joy pour from their faces…Feeling/sharing their stoke still talking about it today and for days to come- memorable and not soon forgot.

AND ABOUT THAT SETLIST...Hard to keep a fanview from being too personal- don’t want to quantify, analyze…think. The pure feeling is that it was a wonderful evening in a location where I have done a lot of personal healing, growth... the fact the setlist exploded into sheer magic and the crowd loved it was sauce. RVM- a live personal liberation of sorts (for me a continuation of a seed planted in philly) SICK JAM TO CLOSE-SICK!!. Songs often change relevance as time passes... I like Pendulum on the album- have fell in love with it live- it is a perfect opener. Thumb/Foot/Breath/SOLAT hold special places in my heart and they were perfect. Loved Don't Go and Why Go back to back- my response- I’d refuse anyway ;) . Over the Hills riff =SPECIAL. Whipping is one of my no shit live favorites and the list goes on..…I was maybe wishing for Of The Earth to be played as the weather was perfect and I have recently been out in it, BUT Swallowed Whole completely filled that gap- and perhaps more completely.

I should likely stop before the whole thing perceived saccharin sweet..The first set was fast and insane and a fucking fantastic ride…Beautiful ease in the second set without ever losing the momentum and then it blew up again- no one wanted them to stop…it was like a courtship where you put it all out there up front and it builds slowly, and faith is instilled and you never want to let it go… The hallways at exit buzzed with how great that show was…I sure hope the boys left feeling the love.

Said it before, can't be said enough thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou :!:
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Options
    totto wrote:

Dear Ten Club

Thank you!

Mags

Hello Mags,

Best Wishes,
    10c

Mags

Safe travels Mags, I was at the show and now back home in the Midwest. I spent the day on flights and on my phone reading all of the posts about the show. Your request fulfilled by the band gave many of us a very rare gift. I could not believe it when Ed starting playing the first few notes. A fellow 10c member next to me who I never met before turned put his arm around me and said they are really playing it? Our entire section sang along swaying back and forth like someone just played the last song of the night at bar time. It was special.
    Thank you so much!
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,869
    holy shit what a set list
  • Options
    weenieweenie Posts: 1,623
    JH6056 wrote:
    Apologies up front, this is absurdly long. Well, many shows and this is my 1st fanview, so I guess I had a lot of feelings stored up...

Last night was a first for me in many ways, but definitely NOT my first show. Last night was probably about my 56th or 57th show, been going since '93 and have seen them all over the country.

Last night was really different for me though, for a lot of reasons, but mainly because as I was driving down I was thinking about the fact that I have been seeing this band for 20 yrs. Like, other than parenting, what else does anyone do for 20 yrs consistently??? Only if Glen Hansard's band the Frames tours in '14 and '15 will there be any other band I've been seeing for 20 yrs, and other than that and social justice work, which I have consistently done for more than 20 yrs, I was just amazed as I drove and thought about that.

It also made me realize, especially after having been in a car accident a couple of years ago and hospitalized the year before that twice, that one cannot take ANYTHING for granted. PJ has just been something I've always been able to do, they were there, I was there, I could come up with the money (was hard sometimes, but never impossible), and I could make my work schedule work. Now I have a kid, I have much more responsibility in my job, and fuck it, I'm getting older and I can't bounce back like I used to after a late night and driving 5 hrs or something to get to work the next day.

So all this was on my mind as I arrived at Sedona to meet my AWESOME seatmate and 10C Ticket Wizard who sold me his spare. (Hi PJ N DC! Thanks again!) Then over to JPJ to park and wait.

As a result of all this thinking about aging and evolution of life etc, I decided to treat this show as if it was my last PJ show I would attend. I did things I don't usually do: I got there early and just waited in line. I bought a poster (I bought 2!). I ate a venue hotdog (SOOO not my usually thing, I don't even usually eat meat). And I didn't worry about checking my seat or looking for all the people I knew would be there... I just chilled and it was amazing how I found them and they found me.

The magic began when I got to my seat... side section row C, I was psyched to be 3rd row on the side where short me could see and rock out! Only... there's actually no row A or B, so row C is front row! MAGIC!!!

My seatmate arrived and was just the coolest guy, so that was cool and getting to chat with Weenie for ages (hello kindred spirit) was great. Then the show starts... you already know the magic of the setlist, so that goes without saying.

But the audience!!! After coming down a little from my initial fog of elation because they started so crazy great right out of the gate, I realized that... the audience mostly SUCKED!!! My 10C section was great, and most of the pit and across the way seemed really into it, but the reserved GA and most of the rest of the venue... I'm not saying they looked bored or were on their phones the whole show, but there was SO. LITTLE. ENGERGY. overall. Seriously, Mind Your Manners might as well have been a song no one had ever heard ever, the way the audience looked so blank and mldly amused. But this is where I honestly think the serious stepping up by the band started. It's like they realized, they weren't gonna get fed tons of enegery by the audeince overall. They were putting out so much amazing energy and getting some back from the front and patches of other sections, but overall it was just dissipating into the air, all that hard work and energy they were giving out. That's how it seemed.

So then, somewhere around Down, it was like they looked at each other and said "This is either gonna end badly, or we've got to just draw on each other to do this", and they obviously chose the latter, because Down was great and then WTF, where the hell did they pull that INCREDIBLE Rearview Mirror out of??? RVM is always great, I always love it, I never tire of it. Haivng seen them 56 times I figure I've probably seen RVM live some 35+ times. The '93-'95 versions clearly were intensely awesome, with other awesome versions throughout the years, but WTF last night had me in tears. Yes, that's another thing I don't usually do, I never cry. Nothing wrong with crying at all, just not my reaction usually, but that RVM had me in tears, it was so moving. Amazing!

I don't know if it was earlier than this or then that I noticed the guy in the wheelchair being prevented from going in the pit and told to just stay in the aisle of reserved GA, where it was obvious HE COULD NOT SEE SHIT. The 2 10C seats next to me had been empty the whole show, I motioned to him like "Is ther ANY way we can get you in these seats?" Like, I wondered if we could lift him... but he wisely and resignedly just kind of shook his head like "that is not gonna happen" and it was such a bummer. Then I saw someone I thought might be able to help, flagged him down, pointed out the guy and asked if there was anything he could do to get the guy in the pit. Not more than 5 min later, dude and his friend have wristbands and are in the pit and he can actually SEE THE STAGE!!! Right there, I was done. No matter what else happened that night, seeing that guy helped so he could actually see meant the world to me and lifted me up as high as the music did. I was so happy.

But no, that was not it, we were so NOT done! HELLO Encores 1 and 2!!!

Encore 1:

20. The End
    21. Thumbing My Way
    22. Sleight Of Hand
    23. Footsteps
    24. Future Days-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
    25. Mother-(Waters)
    26. Given To Fly
    27. Whipping
    (“This one doesn’t get played a lot. There are more surfers in Virginia than people realize”)
    28. Big Wave
    29. Sad
    30. Porch

Thumbing My Way also had me in tears, I was shocked and thrilled to hear it. Footsteps, awesome. And MOTHER? Huge Floyd fan here, wow, Mother! Then the whole Given to Fly -> Whipping -> Big Wave (WOW!) -> Sad (WOW! -> Porch was just... there aren't words.

During the next break, I did another thing I never did before: I left my seats, ran along the front row of the side, and ended up at the very very end, catty corner to the stage. I was on a little mission, which I accomplished quickly, and had intended to go back to my seats once I was done. But the 2 guys I was next to were SO NICE (Hi guys from Syracuse!) and they were so welcoming... and the view was SO INTENSELY AWESOME... I stayed there for Encore 2. And Jayzus what an encore it was, Breath -> SOLAT?? Baba -> full LIttle Wing? I was done. Done. LITERALLY MY FAVORITE LIVE PJ SONGS!!! (or, fave songs peformed live by PJ, obviously Baba and Little Wing not PJ songs. Although I did like the fan who heard people leaving last night saying "Teenage Wasteland is my favorite Pearl Jam song!" LOL!)

31. Breath
    32. State Of Love And Trust
    33. Alive
    34. Baba O'Riley
    35. Little Wing

And when did Mike walk in the pit? Was that Alive? He literally walked RIGHT by us, I could have touched his fauxhawk! So cool t osee him, playing guitar as he walked by, like, right there. Lots of Mike and Ed at the corner right there, so cool to watch them interact, see people, give them stuff, awesome.

Which leads to the last and final thing that I've never done, that never happens, that happened. Because I've been in the front a lot, I usually am helping OTHER people get what the band is throwing them. I once totally cursed out a guy who snatched an Ed pick out ofthe air from teh girl it was clearly meant to go to until he gave it back to her. Another time Ed signaled to me and another person that he was throwing his tamboruine to a shorter girl, and we caught it and gave it to her. I have always felt so blessed by the number of shows and experiences I've had, I've never wanted or gotten a PJ pick or anything. But the nice guys from Syracuse weren't having it... when Ed came to the side one last time, with his last tamborine, they yelled "ED!! HER!!" and kept yelling. It was so funny, I swear he actually gave me a look like, "Really? You want one?" And I just kinda sheepishly smiled (wish there'd been time to discuss my "new attidtude about treat this show like it's my last" but, yeah, conversation is not gonna happen at that moment!) so he threw it to me, and now after years of not asking for anything from PJ onstage, I have my first tambourine as well. And, well, I do kinda like it. :D:D:mrgreen:

The sweetest icing on cake and cherry on top of the whole entire night though was seeing my friend in the wheelchair again as he left the pit. We looked at each other's tambourines and started laughing and hugged. He had such a great time... and someone here said they could swear he was in tears a few times, he was so happy.... that was truly THE BEST part of the night, getting to talk to him again. Hey friend, if they ever open Las Manitas in Austin again, you better FedEx me some Migas pronto!!! :lol:

And HUGE SHOUT OUTS to the Pit fans who parted like the Red Sea apparently and let him up to the front, you guys rule tremendously, truly, that was so so so so so awesome!!!

Hitting submit will be my last first for this show. 57 shows, member of the fanclub since '94 (but lapsed for years so crappy number now), and first ever fanview. But posting this because... I take nothing for granted, who knows when I'll get to do this again.

THANK YOU PEARL JAM, goddammit you made my show-that-hopefully-won't-be-my-last-but-just-in-case-show truly unforgettable. You are the best. But we all knew that, didn't we...

SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    ~I want to realize brotherhood or identity not merely with the beings called human, but I want to realize identity with all life, even with such things as crawl upon earth.~
    Mohandas K. Gandhi

~I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.~
    Henry David Thoreau
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Hi Kindred Spirit Weenie! Glad you didn't get lost leaving Culpepper... Ironically I stopped there looking for coffee on my way north and almost got lost!