Options

I wish Pearl Jam wrote songs like Pink Floyd did.....

Comments

• Options
    Go Beavers wrote:
    I can only imagine the reactions when Pearl Jam releases their Ummagumma.

several nationalities of middle aged fans gathered together on the 'net typing with a keyboard?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,676
    Maybe you should try listening to Pink Floyd then.

I don't like knockin' other members.. but I have to use this as an example of what is wrong lately around here.

There's no need for this. You got nothing positive to say? Then say nothing. I don't see how this comment contributes at all to the thread or forum.

I agree with the OP. I think it would be excellent for PJ to venture into a Pink Floydish way of doing things.

And to think that Pearl Jam is their own original band with their own original sound is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Why just last week, PJ released a video of Mike McCready talking about 'Mind Your Manners' where he came right out and said that the song was written to mimic a 'Dead Kennedy's' feel.

Pearl Jam loves to be creative independently, but they also try to conjure up the past when they write. They take all of their influences and use that to write music. That's not opinion, that's the band saying it. Floyd being an influence.... would be neat to see Pearl Jam do a song or better yet an album that has a concept and a beautiful flow... a nice 9-10 minute jam that changes tempo and speed... that has imagination... HUGE, epic guitar solos.

... IMO.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Parksy wrote:
    Maybe you should try listening to Pink Floyd then.

I don't like knockin' other members.. but I have to use this as an example of what is wrong lately around here.

There's no need for this. You got nothing positive to say? Then say nothing. I don't see how this comment contributes at all to the thread or forum.

I agree with the OP. I think it would be excellent for PJ to venture into a Pink Floydish way of doing things.

And to think that Pearl Jam is their own original band with their own original sound is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Why just last week, PJ released a video of Mike McCready talking about 'Mind Your Manners' where he came right out and said that the song was written to mimic a 'Dead Kennedy's' feel.

Pearl Jam loves to be creative independently, but they also try to conjure up the past when they write. They take all of their influences and use that to write music. That's not opinion, that's the band saying it. Floyd being an influence.... would be neat to see Pearl Jam do a song or better yet an album that has a concept and a beautiful flow... a nice 9-10 minute jam that changes tempo and speed... that has imagination... HUGE, epic guitar solos.

... IMO.

it was a sarcastic response and I'm guessing it meant no harm other than humour. honestly, he beat me to it! :lol:
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    As great as floyd is, and I am a Floyd addict, there are definitely some down sides to the band both internally and how they treated their fans. The Gilmour/Waters conflict took them away before most of us were old enough to see the real Floyd live. I saw them a few times without Waters and saw Waters without Floyd and it is a damn shame. Their egos and whatever else made them great, also tore them apart.

And Waters has always had a love/hate relationship with the fans. Don't forget the whole concept of the Wall originated after Waters spit on a fan at the end of the Animals tour. They hit rock bottom.

I've always appreciated PJ's activism and positive attitude (generally) towards its fans. And while Ed seemed to grow up some, Roger seemed to have sank into a darker and more cynical place with each passing album. My personal life reflected Ed's more and so I, over time, grew to enjoy Pj much more so than Floyd overall. Also, Gilmour's writing after the band split was kind of crappy.

My 2 cents.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    ^^ Good post.

I'll say one thing about Pink Floyd (aside from the fact that used to LOVE them, but again, when I was high a lot more often and on stronger drugs): I don't know what their shows were like long ago, but on that 1994 tour (for that not very good album Division Bell), they put on a HEEL of a show. Okay, I was on acid :lol: But still, an absolutely gigantic (I mean HUGE) disco ball thing raised up into the centre is the indoor football stadium while fireworks and sparks went off, started spinning around at amazing speeds, and then cracked open and a blinding light burst out of it. That was fucking cool. Wish I could remember what song they did that for..... assuming it wasn't a hallucination. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ^^ Good post.

I'll say one thing about Pink Floyd (aside from the fact that used to LOVE them, but again, when I was high a lot more often and on stronger drugs): I don't know what their shows were like long ago, but on that 1994 tour (for that not very good album Division Bell), they put on a HEEL of a show. Okay, I was on acid :lol: But still, an absolutely gigantic (I mean HUGE) disco ball thing raised up into the centre is the indoor football stadium while fireworks and sparks went off, started spinning around at amazing speeds, and then cracked open and a blinding light burst out of it. That was fucking cool. Wish I could remember what song they did that for..... assuming it wasn't a hallucination. :P

Watch pink Floyd's pulse - the home video (now on DVD)

It's all there. Everything you said.. Plus the flying pigs.. Plus the airplane flying across the arena and crashing...

Still love that DVD.

Waters is nothing without David Gilmore. Gilmore is a guitar genius.

Pink Floyd rules... But so does pearl jam. No need to mesh the two.

It was really cool seeing Eddie singing David gilmores Part on comfortably numb.. Something I never thought id see in my lifetime.
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    ^^^

Here it is on YouTube in 1080p :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIQqJRPBP3Q

I also have a DVD if you need a copy. Pm me.
  • Options
    smanchac1 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ^^ Good post.

Watch pink Floyd's pulse - the home video (now on DVD)

It's all there. Everything you said.. Plus the flying pigs.. Plus the airplane flying across the arena and crashing...

Still love that DVD.

Waters is nothing without David Gilmore. Gilmore is a guitar genius.

Pink Floyd rules... But so does pearl jam. No need to mesh the two.

It was really cool seeing Eddie singing David gilmores Part on comfortably numb.. Something I never thought id see in my lifetime.

Oh yeah, the flying pigs and the airplane! :lol: I think to this day it's still by far the most spectacular looking concert I've ever been to. Plus the music... awesome.

Of course you're right. No need to mesh the two. they are completely different (although I know what the other person said about Jeff's NAIS demo, which I hope he actually performs one day). I do love PJ way way way more than PF, but that's just a matter of taste.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    For those really into Floyd, I posted up some of their best boots a month ago. If no one is seeding them and you are interested, PM me and I'll get back on it.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=209920
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    I don't know... it's one thing to have influences, but to start sounding like them (if that's what you meant), that's just lazy and hack-ish. Pearl Jam has created an identity; why would they trash everything they've accomplished just to start sounding like someone else?
    Look at it this way: Bands/Artists like Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, The Clash, Tom Waits, and so on, have an impressive catalogue of music; each album is a different experience from the other. What would it be like if Pearl Jam kept on releasing albums that sounded like Ten? Or if Radiohead held on to Creep and never felt the need to write OK Computer? Music would be boring as shit. I feel the same way about bands. When a band tries to do exactly what another band/artist does because they/he/she found success doing it, their music becomes dishonest; they're just attempting to cash-in on someone else's success.

Pearl Jam worked pretty hard to create their identity. It's been twenty, or so, years and no one can say, "Hey, Pearl Jam just copies _______'s sound!" Their influences are pretty obvious, but Pearl Jam is still Pearl Jam. I think it's time that we start to see some young guys citing Pearl Jam as a major influence and covering Yellow Ledbetter to close one of their shows. Now that would be cool.
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Just a thought....
  • Options
    Thinking about this again today.
  • Options
    october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    I know what you mean, dude. I understand why people are coming down on you because that's how people usually respond to stuff around here but I know you probably didn't mean a carbon copy of PF.

I've had the same thought and it's more about writing with some space and atmosphere, which Pearl Jam can and has done. This is why Binaural is my favorite PJ record. I wish they'd lay off the poppy punk stuff and sappy love songs and write with more depth and metaphor as they have in the past.

I'm making some assumptions about where you're coming from exactly, but this is how I think of it when I think of the two bands.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    I know what you mean, dude. I understand why people are coming down on you because that's how people usually respond to stuff around here but I know you probably didn't mean a carbon copy of PF.

I've had the same thought and it's more about writing with some space and atmosphere, which Pearl Jam can and has done. This is why Binaural is my favorite PJ record. I wish they'd lay off the poppy punk stuff and sappy love songs and write with more depth and metaphor as they have in the past.

I'm making some assumptions about where you're coming from exactly, but this is how I think of it when I think of the two bands.
    You assume correctly. We have some great musicians that are being underutilized.
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,559
    Im seing this band in october:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMyTHG-mPuY

They play pink floyd brilliantly.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,727
    buck502000 wrote:
    Don't you?

Oh my god, no! That would be like saying "I wish Neil Young sounded like The Eagles". Well, to my ears anyway. I'm happy with the way PJ writes PJ songs. :D
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    buck502000 wrote:

We've had some comments about the new album that
    Jeff: wandering at uncomfortable zones
    Mike: Pinkfloydish
    Brendan: deep

But the first 3 songs we heard had simplistic melody structures.

I hope the rest of the album will provide that taste fitting to the descriptions above.
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    jumbojet wrote:
    buck502000 wrote:

We've had some comments about the new album that
    Jeff: wandering at uncomfortable zones
    Mike: Pinkfloydish
    Brendan: deep

But the first 3 songs we heard had simplistic melody structures.

I hope the rest of the album will provide that taste fitting to the descriptions above.
    Prepares to be astounded........ :corn:
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:
    81 would have been all over this.....sniff.

Would have been?? What did I miss?? Banned??
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    Shorty wrote:

No, he left - didn't renew his membership.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Shorty wrote:

Seriously?
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Seriously?
    Seriously. :(
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Wow, what a bummer. I wonder why. I mean, I know he hasn't been into the music for awhile but he was a cool dude to have around here.
  • Options
    october22 wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Wow, what a bummer. I wonder why. I mean, I know he hasn't been into the music for awhile but he was a cool dude to have around here.
    He said he just wanted to move on to other things, basically. Plus, I think he was sick of being targeted by the mods so much.
    Yeah, he was fun to have around, so too bad he's gone!
  • Options
    Pendulum is so rad.....it could be classified as a Pink Floydish cut. Love it.
  • Options
    Just picked up wish you were here on vinyls 2011 re-issue great stuff :)
  • Options
    After hearing the Bogota version of Comfortably Numb - god I wish they would do more songs of their own like Mother and Comfortably Numb.
  • Options
    EnterThanmanEnterThanman London, ON Posts: 1,057
    edited December 2015
    I love Floyd, but I don't need any band being like any other band. The more unique the better.
    Post edited by EnterThanman on
    The member formerly known as Scratched Vinyl
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2015
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I still don't understand what this thread is all about.