Options

I wish Pearl Jam wrote songs like Pink Floyd did.....

Comments

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    OK, so if you throw out the post-Waters stuff and the soundtracks, there are an equal number of PJ and Floyd studio albums (Yes, Ummagumma is half live, but whatever.)

So just for shits and giggles, I'm going album-by-album here to see which band has the edge. YMMV.

Ten - Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    PJ wins this one and it ain't even close.
    Vs. - A Saucerful of Secrets
    Another PJ landslide
    Vitalogy - Ummagumma
    This is an interesting comparison because it's where both bands started to go off on some experimental tangents but is there any song on Ummagumma you'd rather see PJ play live than, say, "Corduroy", "Tremor Christ" or "Immortality"? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    No Code - Atom Heart Mother
    I actually love Atom Heart Mother and I really don't get why this album is so disliked. But No Code is No Code. PJ "wins" again.
    Yield - Meddle
    This is a really tough one to pick so I'm going to cop out and call it a tie.
    Binaural - The Dark Side of the Moon
    Binaural has some amazing songs on it but Dark Side is a masterpiece from front to back and one of the best rock albums in the history of ever.
    Riot Act - Wish You Were Here
    Again, great songs on Riot Act but Wish is another nearly perfect album. Floyd again.
    Avocado - Animals
    There's a pattern developing here. Great songs for PJ vs. a truly classic album. Floyd hands-down
    (I've always thought that a few of the songs on Avocado sound very Animals-ish, especially "Inside Job".)
    Backspacer - The Wall
    Floyd. 'Nuff said.
    Lightning Bolt - The Final Cut
    Yeah, going with PJ on this one. The Final Cut has some definite high points, in my opinion but it gets repetitive and falls flat. There are a couple clunkers on Lightning Bolt and a near-miss but overall, it's a very solid album.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I kind of love you for this post. The only thing I slightly disagree on is Piper - I adore that record and everything that Syd has ever done. Tie for me!
    JTH said:

OK, so if you throw out the post-Waters stuff and the soundtracks, there are an equal number of PJ and Floyd studio albums (Yes, Ummagumma is half live, but whatever.)

So just for shits and giggles, I'm going album-by-album here to see which band has the edge. YMMV.

Another PJ landslide
    Vitalogy - Ummagumma
    This is an interesting comparison because it's where both bands started to go off on some experimental tangents but is there any song on Ummagumma you'd rather see PJ play live than, say, "Corduroy", "Tremor Christ" or "Immortality"? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    I actually love Atom Heart Mother and I really don't get why this album is so disliked. But No Code is No Code. PJ "wins" again.
    Yield - Meddle
    Binaural has some amazing songs on it but Dark Side is a masterpiece from front to back and one of the best rock albums in the history of ever.
    Again, great songs on Riot Act but Wish is another nearly perfect album. Floyd again.
    Avocado - Animals
    There's a pattern developing here. Great songs for PJ vs. a truly classic album. Floyd hands-down
    (I've always thought that a few of the songs on Avocado sound very Animals-ish, especially "Inside Job".)
    Backspacer - The Wall
    Floyd. 'Nuff said.
    Yeah, going with PJ on this one. The Final Cut has some definite high points, in my opinion but it gets repetitive and falls flat. There are a couple clunkers on Lightning Bolt and a near-miss but overall, it's a very solid album.

WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 said:

I kind of love you for this post. The only thing I slightly disagree on is Piper - I adore that record and everything that Syd has ever done. Tie for me!

JTH said:

Another PJ landslide
    Vitalogy - Ummagumma
    Yield - Meddle
    Avocado - Animals
    Backspacer - The Wall
    Floyd. 'Nuff said.

Fuck Pink Floyd
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    them is fightin' words Speedy!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Remember when you were young?
    You shone like the sun.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond!
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Mamasan23 said:

JTH said:

Another PJ landslide
    Vitalogy - Ummagumma
    Yield - Meddle
    Avocado - Animals
    Backspacer - The Wall
    Floyd. 'Nuff said.

So....You trying to say Evacuation and Time are on the same level?
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

So....You trying to say Evacuation and Time are on the same level?

• Options

You shone like the sun.

SPEEDY! SPEEDY!

What has become of you?

Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I think he reached for the secret too soon
  • Options
    haha nah but "Set the controls to the heart of the sun" I think I take over "Corduroy" at this point.
  • Options
    JTH said:

You shone like the sun.

SPEEDY! SPEEDY!

What has become of you?

Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?
    BRING THE BOYS BACK HOME!!!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Mamasan23 said:

OK. a tie it is. I thought for sure you were going to tell me that Backspacer mops the floor with The Wall.
    :tongue:
    Post edited by JTH on
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

haha nah but "Set the controls to the heart of the sun" I think I take over "Corduroy" at this point.

Heh. OK.

I guess I should have made it clear that I was talking about the studio portion of Ummagumma and not the whole thing.
  • Options
    hahaha it's true that the Wall is not my favorite BUT I did go see it recently in the theatre all by myself so that must mean something. NERD ALERT!
    JTH said:

Mamasan23 said:

OK. a tie it is. I thought for sure you were going to tell me that Backspacer mops the floor with The Wall.
    :tongue:
  • Options

You shone like the sun.

ONE OF THESE DAYS I'M GOING TO CUT YOU INTO LITTLE PIECES
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Lightning Bolt better than Final Cut???
    Hahahha
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    JTH said:

TL170678 said:

Heh. OK.

I guess I should have made it clear that I was talking about the studio portion of Ummagumma and not the whole thing.
    Well then hell no, after listening to disk 1 of Ummagumma 1st time I dosed it scares me to much..."Several Species of small furry animals gathered in a cave and grooving to a pict" is what nightmares are made of.
  • Options
    Mamasan23 said:

You shone like the sun.

Down and out
    It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.

• Options
    And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Mamasan23 said:

You shone like the sun.

Down and out

• Options
    Mamasan23 said:

And when you loose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown.

Mamasan23 said:

You shone like the sun.

Down and out

Every year is getting shorter; never seem to find the time.
    Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
    The time is gone, the song is over,
    Thought I'd something more to say
  • Options

Hahahha

Yep. That's what it says. Congratulations on deciphering that one.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,899
    Whatever makes the band happy will probably keep the fans happy. You do you PJ :lol:
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    JTH said:

Hahahha

Cute
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

JTH said:

Hahahha

Cute
    Like a basketful of puppies.

• Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,477
    I still don't understand what this thread means. How does PF write songs?
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

Pink Floyd don`t write songs, they write masterpieces.
  • Options
    KV4053 said:

Exactly
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    NOTHING AS IT SEEMS is pretty close and pretty f/n good
  • Options

Hahahha

So I listened to both today. I stand by my assessments.

TFC comes off as a collection of unfinished pieces, probably because David Gilmour, Nick Mason and Rick Wright are barely present (obviously, Wright wasn't there at all). The only song on it that feels fully fleshed out is "Not Now John".

LB is a bit uneven but it's got complete songs that were written and recorded by an actual band.

The two albums do have this in common - the closing track has potential to be really good if something had just been left out and/or altered. For "Future Days" it's the terrible piano intro/outro. The song would be so much better if they'd just have gone with the organ intro they do when it's played live now. And the smooth jazz sax on "Two Suns in the Sunset" is equally painful.
  • Options
    Pink Floyd > Pearl Jam