robbierobbie Posts: 882
    congratulations america!
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    :clap:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    also dismissed the Prop 8 appeal if I'm not mistaken, essentially allowing gay marriage to continue in California. Big day for LGBT community, and Americans in general. Glad to see equal justice and protections extended to those in loving same sex marriages.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Still can't believe that it took this long. congrats America for catching to many countries in the world.
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Congrats to equality!!!!
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,754
    Awesome! A great move by the US Supreme Court!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    aerialaerial Posts: 2,319
    This has been sent back to the Cali. court? so has anything really been done?
    “We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Beat it, bigots. :clap:
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Beat it, bigots. :clap:
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    very Jovial
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Good! It should be all or none.

That said, let's get rid of the whole governmental aspect of it altogether. Gay or straight, why should anyone be rewarded / given automatic benefits simply for the act of marriage? Be gone, loopholes and tax breaks (same goes for those associated with having children).

The vows we take aren't any more or less meaningful whether made before your god or friends or family or a justice of the peace - or just between the two.

Just as it's not my place to say to anyone whether it's "OK" for them to marry, neither is it the government's.

I hope this comes across as it's intended. Too early in the morning to be branded :P
  • Options
    EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    aerial wrote:
    This has been sent back to the Cali. court? so has anything really been done?
    As I understand it, the SC dismissing the Prop 8 appeal avoided a larger ruling on whether same sex marriage is protected under the Constitution, and reverts the decision to the Cali lower court ruling that reinstated same sex marriage. But the SC ruled definitively on the DOMA, that much is not in questions.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
    Fabulous!!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    i am happy for the gay community. it took way too long. they are finally equal in the eyes of the law.

in spite of this ruling, based on most of the other ones, this roberts court is a cabal of activist judges..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    i am happy for the gay community. it took way too long. they are finally equal in the eyes of the law.

in spite of this ruling, based on most of the other ones, this roberts court is a cabal of activist judges..

This is great news. it was pretty obvious that this should be their decision, but you never know until it gets laid down.

I don't think there are any judges left in the appeals system that couldn't be classified by someone as activist. Just depends on whether or not you agree with the ruling.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    I must say, I think it's pretty shameful and gross that 1) it took this long, 2) that Prop 8 actually won in the first place - shame on you, CA - and 3) that it's a controversial ruling.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,168
    the worst part is that these were two 5-4 decisions and not 9-0... :fp: :fp: :fp: :fp:

we flipped on fox news at work today. they are not talking too much about this.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Interesting to see how public perception has changed in 17 years. DOMA passed both the house and senate easily and was signed into law by The Slickster himself.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    :thumbup:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,850
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Government has no business being in marriage.
  • Options
    Prince Of DorknessPrince Of Dorkness Posts: 3,763
    edited June 2013
    I’m on the front porch of my house in my secluded, private garden and I’m crying. This fucked up emotional roller coaster and keep away game and fake outs has been going on for years and it just hit me that….

it’s over.

we won.

So much build up and I woke up to a brand new world that broke while I was asleep.proposal_01.jpgproposal_02.jpg
    proposal_04.jpg

I realize it isn’t REALLY over… there are still 37 states where we have to work to get marriage equality and if we learned anything from the events of yesterday it’s that the fight will never really be over. With the Voting Rights being struck down, Texas took less than two hours to move on their voter ID laws and gerrymandering to disenfranchise as many voters as they could and then late last night, they committed flagrant voter fraud in front of a quarter of a million people watching it live and then arrested the women protesting… There’s a lot of work to be done. But today… the Texas SB5 law they pretended got passed was begrudgingly declared dead and now DOMA and Prop8 are gone forever.

So while we know that we can never stop fighting… we know that together… we CAN win this.

So let’s now focus on those 37 states and rebuilding voting rights for all Americans.

…after we party a bit tonight.
    Post edited by Prince Of Dorkness on
  • Options
    :clap: Welcome back POD! Where've you been?

Great news - I'm glad you're stoked. :) It is absolutely amazing to see the world changing at the rate that it is, although still disheartening to see the lack of changes in so many places, like many states, and many, many nations (the situation in Russia is in the headlines now, and they seem to be moving backwards).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Great news - I'm glad you're stoked. :) It is absolutely amazing to see the world changing at the rate that it is, although still disheartening to see the lack of changes in so many places, like many states, and many, many nations (the situation in Russia is in the headlines now, and they seem to be moving backwards).

Been extremely busy with work... decided to take a couple of months away from the internet as an escape from my job working on the internet. :fp:

Been laying very low. Honestly, it's been amazing to reconnect with the world around me and I probably won't be around much. But I knew that at least a couple people would be losing their shit here today and I kinda had to come back to gloat just a bit.

juanita1.jpg
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    championship
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772

juanita1.jpg

I just wanted to quote that image. :D
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,928
    Kat wrote:

juanita1.jpg

I just wanted to quote that image. :D

:lol:

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,850
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Been extremely busy with work... decided to take a couple of months away from the internet as an escape from my job working on the internet. :fp:

Been laying very low. Honestly, it's been amazing to reconnect with the world around me and I probably won't be around much. But I knew that at least a couple people would be losing their shit here today and I kinda had to come back to gloat just a bit.

juanita1.jpg
    Glad you popped in. Really hope this relieves some of the burden you and yours go through.

And an early congrats on the pending nuptials.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Dennis Rodman has really let himself go.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,586
    Maybe we're actually on our way to being the land of the free. Very good day for this country.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.