Options

Supreme Court rules that DOMA is Unconstitutional

13»

Comments

• Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    Cosmo wrote:
    Snakeduck wrote:
    Yeah, everything seems pretty peachy on the surface until one day in the near future... BAM! everyone turns into a rainbow striped unicorn. Then what, huh? Then what?
    I heard that the rainbow stripped Unicorns fart cotton candy.

Oh, yummy!
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,220
    I'll tell ya what's really annoying... hearing about Ronald Reagan all the time.
    The irony... they are the same people who talk about the whole, 'Hollywood' thing when they go down their list of 'What's Destroying America'.
    Don't they know that Ronald Reagan (and Nancy (Davis) Reagan) CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD?
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I'll tell ya what's really annoying... hearing about Ronald Reagan all the time.
    The irony... they are the same people who talk about the whole, 'Hollywood' thing when they go down their list of 'What's Destroying America'.
    Don't they know that Ronald Reagan (and Nancy (Davis) Reagan) CAME FROM HOLLYWOOD?

"We need to return to the ways of Ronald Reagan"

So... falling asleep in meetings and letting your cabinet recklessly run around? Um... what?
  • Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    No.

That marriage is still legal and recognized at the federal level. So while they can't have access to the resources and rights at the state level to married couples in Utah, they're still married. It just makes their taxes a bit more of a clusterfuck to do when you have to file as a married couple for your federal taxes but as room mates for your state taxes.

I could be wrong, but I thought the decision was that the federal government will only recognize your marriage if you live in a state that has legalized same sex marriage.

I am curious to see how this goes, because we have had gay marraige in Canada for so long that no one really even talks about it any more.

The strangeness of the law makes me wonder something else. Since they also repealed "don't ask don't tell" awhile back, what happens if you are an openly gay member of the military serving on a base in say California, and the military decides to transfer you to a base in say Texas? It seems like that would lead to some lawsuits, since an article I just read said the government is uncertain about how things will handle in the event a married couple moves to a state that doesn't recognize their marriage.
  • Options
    [I could be wrong, but I thought the decision was that the federal government will only recognize your marriage if you live in a state that has legalized same sex marriage.

Yes. You are wrong.

It's not where you live, it's where the marriage was performed. While some rights and protections are recognized only at the state level, the majority of the rights and protections are at the federal level. While states get to decide who can get married, the federal government is the entity that oversees those resources.
    Since they also repealed "don't ask don't tell" awhile back, what happens if you are an openly gay member of the military serving on a base in say California, and the military decides to transfer you to a base in say Texas? It seems like that would lead to some lawsuits, since an article I just read said the government is uncertain about how things will handle in the event a married couple moves to a state that doesn't recognize their marriage.

Revolutions are messy. Yes, there will be a huge cry-out amongst the talibangelicals and christianazis of the USA. Those people burst into rivers of tears when they have to read a biology book that doesn't have one page saying "because God makes it that way and dinosaurs drowned in the flood."

It will take a while to work out some of the details but it's not going to be long before it's all sorted out. As it stands now, members of the military will be able to include their same-sex spouses in their benefits and pensions because those are handled by the federal government... regardless of which state you live in.
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    We are evolving as a society...its grand.

Next Capital Punishment... :mrgreen:
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has lifted a stay on same-sex marriages in California, allowing gay marriages to resume immediately.

:thumbup: :clap:
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well done, Cali!
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    WOO HOO!!!

thumbnailcah2jfhx.jpg

Happy News :D I actually turned on the news for the first time in weeks yesterday :thumbup:
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    Prince Of DorknessPrince Of Dorkness Posts: 3,763
    edited June 2013
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

(technically, for the second time. But this time he gets to stay in the country.)

I think I once said "give us full equality under the law and I'll never mention it again.

Fuck. Now I gotta shut it. :fp:
    Post edited by Prince Of Dorkness on
  • Options
    comebackgirlcomebackgirl Posts: 9,885
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg
    index_left5_t1.jpg Congratulations x2! :D
    tumblr_mg4nc33pIX1s1mie8o1_400.gif

"I need your strength for me to be strong...I need your love to feel loved"
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg
    Congratulations!! :D
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I am so gonna hold you to that 8-)

(and, here's to a continued good life to you both...to all)
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,026
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

(technically, for the second time. But this time he gets to stay in the country.)

I think I once said "give us full equality under the law and I'll never mention it again.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
    the loophole is, Prince, it isn't country wide. Rant away@!!!!!
    But I'm glad for you too as well as the rest of the community in Cali.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,973
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

Congrats to you both!

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,351
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

Congrats to both of you it's about fucking time :D
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,797
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS! :D:clap: :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,682
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

Wow, congrats!!!!

(Holy look at young POD! :D )
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

Wow, congrats!!!!

Badass hair

I dig.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,189
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

Wow, congrats!!!!

yeah! for a second i thought that was a younger caleb followill... :lol:

Congrats to you guys!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    :clap: Welcome back POD! Where've you been?

Great news - I'm glad you're stoked. :) It is absolutely amazing to see the world changing at the rate that it is, although still disheartening to see the lack of changes in so many places, like many states, and many, many nations (the situation in Russia is in the headlines now, and they seem to be moving backwards).

Been extremely busy with work... decided to take a couple of months away from the internet as an escape from my job working on the internet. :fp:

Been laying very low. Honestly, it's been amazing to reconnect with the world around me and I probably won't be around much. But I knew that at least a couple people would be losing their shit here today and I kinda had to come back to gloat just a bit.

juanita1.jpg

Welcome back Jasun
    Feel free to gloat away
    Your voice and your opinions are missed
  • Options
    278-Condescending-Wonka-on-Gay-Marriage.jpg
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    20682289.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol: :fp:

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,576
    Agaymarriagegif_zps08fcbbc3.gif
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,124
    move over bert and ernie ... yo joe

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ8Y5J70_YYjSCgdQqf--HwAZexbuztaoDqTyRebaiKEFhLfp-8-A
  • Options
    When I was a little boy, I had a Gi joe, a Steve Austin, Ken and black Ken all living together in barbi's townhouse. Joe and Steve shared one bedroom, Ken and black Ken shared the other.

So yeah, I was gay even back in 1976.
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

This 'before and after' picture.

Prince, you went from Matt Damon to hardened warrior.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    JasunAndCarlo.jpg

This 'before and after' picture.

Prince, you went from Matt Damon to hardened warrior.

I'm SO using that on my IMDB page.