Options

Supreme Court rules that DOMA is Unconstitutional

Comments

• Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    Michele Bachmann: DOMA, Propositon 8 Rulings 'Attacked Our Constitution'
    The Huffington Post | By Mollie Reilly
    Posted: 06/26/2013 2:19 pm EDT | Updated: 06/26/2013 3:00 pm EDT

Appearing with other House conservatives during a press conference, Bachmann said the rulings were "offensive on so many levels."

"This decision is one that is profound because the Supreme Court not only attacked our Constitution today, they not only attacked the equal protection rights of every citizen under our Constitution, they attacked something that they have no jurisdiction over whatsoever, the foundational unit of our society, which is marriage," Bachmann said.

She continued, "That is something that God created. That is something that God will define. The Supreme Court, though they may think so, have not risen to the level of God."

Earlier Wednesday, Bachmann issued a written statement condemning the court's decisions:

Marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted.
    For thousands of years of recorded human history, no society has defended the legal standard of marriage as anything other than between man and woman. Only since 2000 have we seen a redefinition of this foundational unit of society in various nations.

Today, the U.S. Supreme Court decided to join the trend, despite the clear will of the people’s representatives through DOMA.

What the Court has done will undermine the best interest of children and the best interests of the United States.

Her condemnation was dismissed by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

"Who cares?" Pelosi asked when questioned about the statement.

:lol:
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    rick1zoo2 wrote:
    Michele Bachmann: DOMA, Propositon 8 Rulings 'Attacked Our Constitution'
    The Huffington Post | By Mollie Reilly
    Posted: 06/26/2013 2:19 pm EDT | Updated: 06/26/2013 3:00 pm EDT

Appearing with other House conservatives during a press conference, Bachmann said the rulings were "offensive on so many levels."

"This decision is one that is profound because the Supreme Court not only attacked our Constitution today, they not only attacked the equal protection rights of every citizen under our Constitution, they attacked something that they have no jurisdiction over whatsoever, the foundational unit of our society, which is marriage," Bachmann said.

She continued, "That is something that God created. That is something that God will define. The Supreme Court, though they may think so, have not risen to the level of God."

Earlier Wednesday, Bachmann issued a written statement condemning the court's decisions:

Marriage was created by the hand of God. No man, not even a Supreme Court, can undo what a holy God has instituted.
    For thousands of years of recorded human history, no society has defended the legal standard of marriage as anything other than between man and woman. Only since 2000 have we seen a redefinition of this foundational unit of society in various nations.

Today, the U.S. Supreme Court decided to join the trend, despite the clear will of the people’s representatives through DOMA.

What the Court has done will undermine the best interest of children and the best interests of the United States.

Her condemnation was dismissed by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

"Who cares?" Pelosi asked when questioned about the statement.

:lol:
    :lol::lol:
    Not sure why that crazy lady isn't constantly campaigning against divorce if she finds marriage so fucking important. What a bigoted moron. I can't believe anyone ever voted for her. That is scary.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,643
    And there are plenty of people in congress that feel the same. Most of the country is leaving these bigots behind while they cling to their archaic, offensive beliefs.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,427
    Who scare you more Bachman or the people that actually follow her beliefs ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    The people who follow her beliefs. They terrify me, and I don't even live in the US (frankly, we don't really have people like that in Canada... Not enough of them to be scary, anyway. A politician like Bachman couldn't be elected dog catcher up here I don't think.... But that there are so many people like her in the US is scary enough; they make me worry that it will spread across the border... like a virus).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    About time! Yay!!
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    mikepegg44mikepegg44 Posts: 3,353
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    The people who follow her beliefs. They terrify me, and I don't even live in the US (frankly, we don't really have people like that in Canada... Not enough of them to be scary, anyway. A politician like Bachman couldn't be elected dog catcher up here I don't think.... But that there are so many people like her in the US is scary enough; they make me worry that it will spread across the border... like a virus).

her district is so oddly shaped specifically to remain conservative. If you look at it is like a crescent moon around liberal areas of the metro in Minnesota. It stretches from woodbury to st cloud (about 90 miles). It is the strangest district there is. If you have an R next to your name you will win more times than you will lose in the 6th. That is what you get when you teach people they can either choose a democrat or republican.
    that’s right! Can’t we all just get together and focus on our real enemies: monogamous gays and stem cells… - Ned Flanders
    It is terrifying when you are too stupid to know who is dumb
    - Joe Rogan
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    Michele Bachmann, the obligatory grump. She'd have so much more fun coming to the party. Put on you rainbow dress Michelle, we're dancing!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,951
    So how exactly does it work in the US if some states recognize same sex marriage and others don't. Does that mean some guy could theoretically be married to a man in California, and say because Utah doesn't recognize same sex marriages, could he at the same time be married to a woman in Utah.

And what if you are a gay person in say Massachusetts wanted to leave his or her partner. Could he just move to Texas or another state that doesn't recognize his marriage, effectively dissolving it?
  • Options
    So how exactly does it work in the US if some states recognize same sex marriage and others don't. Does that mean some guy could theoretically be married to a man in California, and say because Utah doesn't recognize same sex marriages, could he at the same time be married to a woman in Utah.

No.

That marriage is still legal and recognized at the federal level. So while they can't have access to the resources and rights at the state level to married couples in Utah, they're still married. It just makes their taxes a bit more of a clusterfuck to do when you have to file as a married couple for your federal taxes but as room mates for your state taxes.

Although we're talking about Utah. Some men there are married to a bunch of women and they all live in the same house.
    And what if you are a gay person in say Massachusetts wanted to leave his or her partner. Could he just move to Texas or another state that doesn't recognize his marriage, effectively dissolving it?

No.

You have never been able to dissolve a legal contract by moving to a new state.

While Texas won't recognize your marriage and will do those gleefully mean-spirited things like charge you extra taxes when your spouse dies, not notify you if they die in a car accident on the way home and block you from being with them in their hospital room, the federal government WILL recognize your marriage and will grant you the 1300+ rights/responsibilities/protections and perks afforded to married couples at the federal level.

Trust me... this is FAR from over. We now have to take one of the state anti-gay marriage laws to the supreme court with a state government that's willing to defend it. Once we win THAT, all states will have to allow marriage equality. For now... we're dealing with it state by state. Illinois is next. Probably Indiana after that. New Mexico and a few other states aren't far behind.
  • Options
    rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    it's a great step in the right direction.

I just find it hard to believe that in this day and age, in this country, that we don't have this equality yet. I believe that whatever my sexual orientation, I should be able to partner with whoever I want, it's just common sense.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    I like the people saying that allowing Gay Marriage will destroy the country.
    Just because the Defense of Marriage Act was struck down... it doesn't mean you will HAVE to marry a Gay person. You can still legally marry whomever you want... the difference here is... so can everyone else.
    Also, you can STILL hate Gay people. That is your choosing... that one is your call.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    Just because the Defense of Marriage Act was struck down... it doesn't mean you will HAVE to marry a Gay person. You can still legally marry whomever you want... the difference here is... so can everyone else.
    Also, you can STILL hate Gay people. That is your choosing... that one is your call.
    People are stupid.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,994
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    People are stupid.

Nine years since gay marriage became legal here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and life has gone on unimpeded.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    People are stupid.

Nine years since gay marriage became legal here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and life has gone on unimpeded.

Yeah, everything seems pretty peachy on the surface until one day in the near future... BAM! everyone turns into a rainbow striped unicorn. Then what, huh? Then what?
  • Options
    Snakeduck wrote:
    JimmyV wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    People are stupid.

Yeah, everything seems pretty peachy on the surface until one day in the near future... BAM! everyone turns into a rainbow striped unicorn. Then what, huh? Then what?
    Would we be Pegasus rainbow striped unicorns, or no? Because if no, then maybe I support DOMA and prop 8 after all. :think:
  • Options
    SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    Would we be Pegasus rainbow striped unicorns, or no? Because if no, then maybe I support DOMA and prop 8 after all. :think:

Pegicorns for sure! :D
  • Options
    Snakeduck wrote:
    PJ_Soul wrote:

Pegicorns for sure! :D
    3ozy6c.jpg
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,264
    anyone see what the ceo of chick fil a tweeted and then deleted???
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    No.... did you?? :P
  • Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    not with my own eyes. i saw screenshots.

i don't do twitter, this board and facebook are plenty to keep me occupied :geek:
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    not with my own eyes. i saw screenshots.

i don't do twitter, this board and facebook are plenty to keep me occupied :geek:
    ?bb_attachments=817051&bbat=93295&inline
  • Options
    o-DAN-CATHY-DOMA-570.jpg?2

it was removed a short time later and replaced with an apology message that tried to remind people that the focus should be on chicken instead....

:fp:

"yes, nevermind our blatant, open bigotry and hatred towards the gays...always remember that we make chicken that is always fried, juicy, and delicious!!"

• Options
    o-DAN-CATHY-DOMA-570.jpg?2

it was removed a short time later and replaced with an apology message that tried to remind people that the focus should be on chicken instead....

:fp:

"yes, nevermind our blatant, open bigotry and hatred towards the gays...always remember that we make chicken that is always fried, juicy, and delicious!!"
    :fp: :fp: :fp:
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I liked the Huckabee tweet better

Jesus Weipt
  • Options
    i love how christians and those who oppose gay marriage are saying that their rights are being trampled upon and that it is THEY who are being discriminated against??? :fp:

• Options
    i love how christians and those who oppose gay marriage are saying that their rights are being trampled upon and that it is THEY who are being discriminated against??? :fp:
    I always just think to myself, "have fun being on the wrong side of history." And then I feel better. I especially like it when they publish shit so that people can see where they stood for all time.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    I'll tell ya what's really annoying... hearing about Ronald Reagan all the time.
  • Options
    i wonder what the response to the voting rights act would have been had there been social media at that time??

hold on to your hat, because we are about to find out...

:corn: :corn:

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,224
    Snakeduck wrote:
    I heard that the rainbow stripped Unicorns fart cotton candy.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!