Options

why doesn't Pearl Jam play longer concerts

Comments

• Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    No. Axel runs off stage after each song and gets an oxygen mask. I'm not kidding either. It's laughable.

I think that's why each person gets their own solo. So he can go in the back and recoup.

Plus Axel couldn't sing when they were an opening act with a 45 minute set.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    PJStatTrackerPJStatTracker Posts: 2,400
    JB128716 wrote:
    No. Axel runs off stage after each song and gets an oxygen mask. I'm not kidding either. It's laughable.

I think that's why each person gets their own solo. So he can go in the back and recoup.

Plus Axel couldn't sing when they were an opening act with a 45 minute set.

I love G n'R and you are right...they are completely boring. WAY too many solos, and they just keep going and going. I know their entire catalog very well, but this new iteration is just dull even when they are playing songs I've loved for ages.

The old GnR was my first ever show. I remember it being great, but I had no reference and they had topless women on stage bringing them pizza. Also, I was 14.
    Download the unofficial <a href="http://bit.ly/PJStatTracker">Pearl Jam Stat Tracker</a> app for iPhone/iPad. It's <em>FREE.</em>

PM me with any comments or suggestions for the app - or weigh in <a href="http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=167611
    ">here</a>.
    or
    <a href="http://www.facebook.com/pjstattracker">Join the discussion on facebook</a>

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    boyo79 wrote:
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour....they cant even take breathes after 2 hours show..
    its impossible with the energy they play their shows..at that age..

thats why they are the best band in the planet..cos their live shows has the same top high quility always..
    and no need fancy clothes or lights or scenes to make the show better..
    its the best already..

if they do a 60 shows tour and 3 hours set,the quality will go down right away..

no have to mention..there are bands out there that tix prices are double than pj and plays 45-60 min show only..

i respect Bruce,he is huge..amazing..but he cant do what eddie does on stage for more time than eddie

Have you been a Springsteen show DImi? He's knocks PJ out the park. He has far more energy than Ed at a gig, the guy is a machine. He's called The Boss for a reason. And he does this 3hours plus EVERY NIGHT. No 10 or 12 shows over 3 weeks. 89 gigs he played last year. He's got another 44 gigs scheduled for this year already.
    you compare the singing of pj song with Bruce songs??..ok..
    you try to sing int he row Go,Animal,Solat and Habit ,run and jump and be 50 years old and you will need hot tea for your throat and 3 days off work
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    I'd say 2 plus hours is a long concert.
    Many bands play 70-80 minutes, and call it a night.

The occasional 3 hours would be great.

Anything longer than 3.5 hours, you'll probably want to sit down for a bit. :lol:
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    :lol: I didn't think a couple shows a year where they open up the setlists and play a lot of the chill stuff in their repertoire would be such a groundbreaking concept, Eddie even says it himself that it keeps them progressing as a band sometimes, this would allow the band to sharpen up on more songs, to me that would help them progress as a band
    http://youtu.be/NT3BHuxCFz8?t=3m31s
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    edited April 2013
    boyo79 wrote:
    they cant keep the quality if they play more time..same more shows per tour....they cant even take breathes after 2 hours show..
    its impossible with the energy they play their shows..at that age..

thats why they are the best band in the planet..cos their live shows has the same top high quility always..
    and no need fancy clothes or lights or scenes to make the show better..
    its the best already..

if they do a 60 shows tour and 3 hours set,the quality will go down right away..

no have to mention..there are bands out there that tix prices are double than pj and plays 45-60 min show only..

i respect Bruce,he is huge..amazing..but he cant do what eddie does on stage for more time than eddie

Have you been a Springsteen show DImi? He's knocks PJ out the park. He has far more energy than Ed at a gig, the guy is a machine. He's called The Boss for a reason. And he does this 3hours plus EVERY NIGHT. No 10 or 12 shows over 3 weeks. 89 gigs he played last year. He's got another 44 gigs scheduled for this year already.
    you try to sing int he row Go,Animal,Solat and Habit ,run and jump and be 50 years old and you will need hot tea for your throat and 3 days off work

thats the point. Bruce still does it everynight and he's now 63.
    Just saying.
    And he's been doing it since the 70s on a very consistent basis.
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    -Buru--Buru- Santa Barbara, CA Posts: 1,292
    :lol: I didn't think a couple shows a year where they open up the setlists and play a lot of the chill stuff in their repertoire would be such a groundbreaking concept, Eddie even says it himself that it keeps them progressing as a band sometimes, this would allow the band to sharpen up on more songs, to me that would help them progress as a band
    http://youtu.be/NT3BHuxCFz8?t=3m31s

No, that's completely manageable.
    And I hope they do this at Wrigley. 8-)
    I am just a dreamer, but you are just a dream...
    If I knew where it was I would take you there.

• Options
    JB128716JB128716 Posts: 2,064
    Wrigley

Set 1 7:40 - 8:40 probably acoustic
    Set 2 9:00 - 10:40 main set
    Encore 1 10:45 - 11:05
    Encore 2 11:10 - 11:30
    Encore 3 11:40 - 11:55

To give Ed a break, I recommend a long version of Crazy Mary and Black, Stone singing a song, Matt singing a song, and Jeff singing a song.
    92 - Orlando
    03 - Tampa
    08 - Tampa
    12 - DeLuna Fest, EV Orlando 1 & 2, EV Ft Lauderdale 1 & 2
    13 - Wrigley!!! ,Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford, OKC, Seattle
    14 - Leeds, Milton Keynes, St Louis
    16 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 & 2
  • Options
    JB128716 wrote:
    Wrigley

To give Ed a break, I recommend a long version of Crazy Mary and Black, Stone singing a song, Matt singing a song, and Jeff singing a song.
    Jeff singing a song :fp: it better not be Sweet Lew that ruined the final Philly Spectrum encore, it was awful, worse than a drunk karaoke act, and I like Jeff, but not one of his stronger moments, kind of like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQFhVPSBq0
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,536
    I didn't read the 5 pages of what I'm sure is fans coming to PJ's defense. I'm also in this group. The only 2 similar bands that I can think outplay PJ time-wise have been Bruce and Phish.

I've seen Bruce and it was epic, but songs 15-20 wore me out, knowing i had another 10-15 to go.
    Phish - don't want to comment on what i haven't seen.

Which leaves 98% of comparable bands left in the dust. I've seen too many rock shows to count, and when a band hits 22 tunes, I'm a little surprised and in awe.

PJ hits 28+ on any given night, and according to the ops logic, if that's second place - I'll settle for silver any damn day of the week.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    Gibson wrote:
    I didn't read the 5 pages of what I'm sure is fans coming to PJ's defense. I'm also in this group. The only 2 similar bands that I can think outplay PJ time-wise have been Bruce and Phish.

I've seen Bruce and it was epic, but songs 15-20 wore me out, knowing i had another 10-15 to go.
    Phish - don't want to comment on what i haven't seen.

Which leaves 98% of comparable bands left in the dust. I've seen too many rock shows to count, and when a band hits 22 tunes, I'm a little surprised and in awe.

PJ hits 28+ on any given night, and according to the ops logic, if that's second place - I'll settle for silver any damn day of the week.
    nevermind if you didn't read the thread you missed the whole point, a day late and a dollar short on this one, maybe next time
  • Options
    So you're telling me that Bruce plays longer than PJ.

And I'm saying that I'm fine with what PJ gives me. What the fuck did I miss?
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    :corn:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Gibson wrote:
    So you're telling me that Bruce plays longer than PJ.

And I'm saying that I'm fine with what PJ gives me. What the fuck did I miss?
    that I was only talking about one or two concerts a year them opening up their setlists to play more of their chill stuff they never play, like Grand Rapids '06, open up the setlist and play shit like Around The Bend, one or two shows year is hardly going to kill the band, and if you are not down for that type of show that is where we differ in opinions, because I think a show with a chill set for 1.5 hours then a normal show for 1.5 hours would be awesome and that is all I was saying :fp: and if you had read through the thread you would of got that, hardly some slave driving request
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My apologies.

I guess the title of your thread misled me. I would have responded better if it was titled "Hey Pearl Jam, you know how every tour you play a show or two that's 30+ songs and the show goes longer than normal?It feels like you don't do it 1-2 times a year. Do that more."

BBH, I like most of the stuff you post and respect you tons as a fan, but fuck, split hairs less please. I'm too tired to do the research, but you already point out Grand Rapids 06. Mansfield 03 was heavy, Philly '09 was long, Vancouver '11 went a bit late, Pistoia '06 lasted a while, and I'm sure I could find one or two shows each year that match the criteria you're aasking for.
    Post edited by Gibson on

• Options
    Gibson wrote:
    My apologies.

I guess hte title of your thread misled me. I would have responded better if it was titled "Hey Pearl Jam, you know how every tour you play a show or two that's 30+ songs and the show goes longer than normal? Do that more."

BBH, I like most of the stuff you post and respect you tons as a fan, but fuck, split hairs less please.
    no worries bud, sorry I got ADD, I try not to do that so much, and the titles can only be so long :lol:
  • Options
    BBH, I like most of the stuff you post and respect you tons as a fan, but fuck, split hairs less please. I'm too tired to do the research, but you already point out Grand Rapids 06. Mansfield 03 was heavy, Philly '09 was long, Vancouver '11 went a bit late, Pistoia '06 lasted a while, and I'm sure I could find one or two shows each year that match the criteria you're aasking for.

• Options
    Gibson wrote:
    I thought I said sorry about splitting hairs, and you posted the same thing right after it, not really sure why the second post, if you are wanting to split hairs yourself? I said I was sorry, if you want to debate it we can, I was trying to go along with your request of not splitting hairs on my last post, and it is hard for someone with ADD not to split hairs,so I thought that was a concession on my part
  • Options
    Truly sorry. I read your post wit a sarcastic time. If you were being sincere, then I appreciate it.

I do like your threads as a whole - and appreciate your insight and contributions. I'm having a pissy day and shouldn't have snapped.

Hopefully I'll meet you at wrigley or London for a beer.

• Options
    Gibson wrote:
    Truly sorry. I read your post wit a sarcastic time. If you were being sincere, then I appreciate it.

I do like your threads as a whole - and appreciate your insight and contributions. I'm having a pissy day and shouldn't have snapped.

Hopefully I'll meet you at wrigley or London for a beer.
    no problem bud, but like the words I am sure you know so well "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead" so this pissy day will pass, and a good one will be behind it, it's all good, It's funny when things change so much it's all state of mind, whenever I feeling a little down, and just stuff like that makes me feel better, and that is why Pearl Jam means so much to me, they saved my life, I have no doubt
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Just saying.
    im not singer but feel like solat is 50 times harder and needs more pressure for the voice to sing than glory days..and habit 100 times harden that my hometown
    its apple and oranges..
    madonna jump and dance and sing at whole of her show..she cant do it for 4 hours..
    its frikin difficult to dance ,run and sing..and breathe the same time
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    JB128716 wrote:
    Wrigley

Jeff singing a song :fp: it better not be Sweet Lew that ruined the final Philly Spectrum encore, it was awful, worse than a drunk karaoke act, and I like Jeff, but not one of his stronger moments, kind of like this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxQFhVPSBq0
    It should be NAIS.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Just saying.
    im not singer but feel like solat is 50 times harder and needs more pressure for the voice to sing than glory days..and habit 100 times harden that my hometown
    its apple and oranges..
    madonna jump and dance and sing at whole of her show..she cant do it for 4 hours..
    its frikin difficult to dance ,run and sing..and breathe the same time

All things being equal I agree with you, but if Bruce is doing well over 100 shows a tour at over 3 hours a show I would think that would be overall more taxing and tiring than a a dozen PJ shows a year. Bruce also moves around a lot, crowdsurfs, etc..so he isn't just standing there. And like Bathgate says, he's been doing this for decades...and he still keeps going.

Second, I think PJ shows are fine in length... 2:15 - 2:30 being the average. I would rather see more setlist diversity and tighter shows, with some songs slowed down a bit (as has been discussed here in the past). Of course, I would love it if they played longer, but I'm happy with what they do now.

I don't think it's fair to either act to compare them. They are 2 completely different acts.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

All things being equal I agree with you, but if Bruce is doing well over 100 shows a tour at over 3 hours a show I would think that would be overall more taxing and tiring than a a dozen PJ shows a year. Bruce also moves around a lot, crowdsurfs, etc..so he isn't just standing there. And like Bathgate says, he's been doing this for decades...and he still keeps going.

Second, I think PJ shows are fine in length... 2:15 - 2:30 being the average. I would rather see more setlist diversity and tighter shows, with some songs slowed down a bit (as has been discussed here in the past). Of course, I would love it if they played longer, but I'm happy with what they do now.

I don't think it's fair to either act to compare them. They are 2 completely different acts.
    thats what i said from the beggining..cant compare..cant say why they dont play 4 hours like Bruce..
    well,i tell u.no bruce or eddie can do what madonna do on stage,singing,running,dancing,sycronize with dancers,breathe ,change clothes,costumes..
    but is different things,cant compare them.so,when you say play 3:30 like bruce,makes no sense to me..
    they can make an acoustic set and play 5 hours with talking and chating with the fans..
    the time doesnt say anything to me
    Iron Maiden playing 1 hour and a half....its impossible to play more time and this type of music more time..
    and dont tell me that the Boss do the same running and jumping and screaming like B Dickinson does on stage
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

thats what i said from the beggining..cant compare..cant say why they dont play 4 hours like Bruce..
    well,i tell u.no bruce or eddie can do what madonna do on stage,singing,running,dancing,sycronize with dancers,breathe ,change clothes,costumes..
    but is different things,cant compare them.so,when you say play 3:30 like bruce,makes no sense to me..
    they can make an acoustic set and play 5 hours with talking and chating with the fans..
    Iron Maiden playing 1 hour and a half....its impossible to play more time and this type of music more time..
    and dont tell me that the Boss do the same running and jumping and screaming like B Dickinson does on stage
    How about a 2 Minutes To Midnight cover?
  • Options
    Better Dan wrote:

How about a 2 Minutes To Midnight cover?
    come on..if one song need to be covered is THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vP2hFFV57E
  • Options
    damn..why i mention maiden??im gonna listen all day now

MY DREAM..

Dave Murray+ Mike McGOD Together on stage...oh ..boy..
  • Options
    Dimitri there are so many badass Maiden songs, but that would be a great choice
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    the simple answer is because they dont need to or want to.

Im more than happy with what they give.

Bruce is a one off and without question a legend. A remarkable artist.
  • Options
    damn..why i mention maiden??im gonna listen all day now

MY DREAM..

Dave Murray+ Mike McGOD Together on stage...oh ..boy..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsUUV1VDE3Y