Options

why doesn't Pearl Jam play longer concerts

124»

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Dimitri there are so many badass Maiden songs, but that would be a great choice
    oh yeah..i can make a pj setlist only with Maiden Covers ..just let me know how much long you want the set!! :lol:;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    they can come to Greece and open by covering this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBieJ08ByPc

trust me..we gonna bting the building down in 2 minutes..will be the most epic moment ever
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    pdalowsky wrote:
    the simple answer is because they dont need to or want to.

Im more than happy with what they give.

Bruce is a one off and without question a legend. A remarkable artist.

By the end of July he'll have played 130 gigs in 15 months. At 63 years old. Phenomenal.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,030
    They don't need to be Bruce length.

But they should realise ppl doesn't (only) come for the "punk rockers".

So they could remove a few rockers (if needed) and replace it with an acoustic/sit down section in the middle.

Play the first set as usual.

Change the first encore into an accoustic section (and a bit longer than the encore is now)

End as usual with an encore 2 with the Alives and the RITFW's that everyone wants to sing and dance to before it's time to leave.

But maybe that would make Eddie loose money on his solo tours. He'll keep the slow ones for that.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262

i respect Bruce,he is huge..amazing..but he cant do what eddie does on stage for more time than eddie

seriously?
    have you seen bruce play?
    bruce works it out hard at every show i've seen. he certainly doesn't stand still and sing for 3hours!
    the "problem" with bruce is right now @ 64 yrs old he is spinning circles around all other performers and no one can catch up with him

that is why he is the boss

pearl jam could play longer shows easily
  • Options
    LanternjawLanternjaw Posts: 553
    My oldest stepbrother told me back in the 80's, "Eric, there's people that love Bruce Springsteen and there's people that have never seen him live."

I wasn't a fan at all until that first show. I've now seen him a dozen times. If it wasn't for the insatiable lust for great live rock that that first Bruce show instilled in me I never would've given PJ another thought after seeing them back in '92 or '93 at SPAC (at a Lolla fest)... a wild, very wet, and typical show for a band with a limited catalog.

Now I'm a huge PJ fan.

Love that their expanded catalog has led to longer shows.

Do I expect Bruce-length shows? No. PJ always has a opening act and that'll always limit the length of their sets.

FWIW, Bruce typical set lasts a little over 3 hours in an arena and closer to 3.5 in a stadium. PJ gives about 2.5 typically, right? Unless its a festival set.

Saw the Foo's at MSG a couple years ago and they played 3 hours of very high octane rock and they had 2 openers.

Regardless, all three acts make me very happy because you leave there feeling like they've given you everything they have at an affordable price.

Bruce shows are always about $98 no matter where you're seated; PJ about $60-$80.

I'll do that every time either band comes within a 5 hour drive.

Final thought: I've actually never met anyone in person who has seen Bruce live and still says he sucks. Sometimes there really is substance to the legend. The same could be said for PJ. Go see both acts as often as you can because one day soon you'll wake up and they won't be touring anymore.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,556
    I haven't seen Bruce live yet, and would like to, and will next time he's in town, but that's not going to make me like his upbeat songs any more than I do now, which is not much at all. I just think pretty much all of it just sounds like mediocre rock. And if I go to a show and he's still fucking playing after I've been there for 3.5 - 4 hours, I'll walk out. :P
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    I love me some sax solos
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    I love me some sax solos
    Jungleland at MSG:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGU0z1DGO8E :D
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    I love me some sax solos
    Jungleland at MSG:

Sweet. If Kenny G walked out on stage my life would be complete.
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:
    I love me some sax solos
    Jungleland at MSG:

Sweet. If Kenny G walked out on stage my life would be complete.
    :fp:

:lol:
  • Options
    Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
    I guess Pearl Jam took it to an extreme and is playing long shows every night now, and by the response it is receiving, we are only going to be seeing more and more of it, busting through that imaginary 28 song ceiling has really opened open up so many more possibilities for this band going forward
  • Options
    San Diego was 3.5 hours tonight, 8:30-midnight.
  • Options
    Smeckle wrote:
    San Diego was 3.5 hours tonight, 8:30-midnight.
    look at the date the thread was started, lol, I brought it back to see what a joke the band made out of all the comments in this thread
  • Options
    the 2013 North American is proof that longer setlists are not only better, but their level of play is much sharper, I believe because everyone in the band can pick some songs they want to play, so all the guys are fully invested with all the fans in each show