turntable help

sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
edited December 2013 in The Porch
Ok so i've searched many reviews, forum posts and expert analysis but sometimes you just need a direct answer. I'm looking to buy a new turntable for Christmas to bust out some of my PJ vinyl but need some help narrowing it down. I'm on a budget so looking around the 300 range. Heres what ive been thinking:

Stanton T92USB: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Stanton+T92

Audio-Technica AT-LP120:http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355267799&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technics

Or anything else? I've been looking for a pre-amp included and shipping to canada can be a real pain. Any help is greatly appreciated :)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    If Budget is at $300...go for one of these. Various colors.
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-Es ... ategory=46

Or save up another $100 bones and upgrade to this:
    http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject-De ... ategory=46
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • I bought my first turntable about 6 months ago. I also did a lot of research and didn't want to spend thousands on one. After a lot of thought, I went with the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. Even though it's about $400, it's considered a high quality entry level turntable. I LOVE it! The sound coming from it is amazing. There aren't any bells and whistles on it, but it's components are top notch. I would spend the extra money and go for this turntable. The real problem comes when you start spending money to buy the vinyl...it'll add up quickly!!!!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    That's purty :D
    Another option... go scan ebay and try and get yourself a Technics (SL Series-1200,1210MK and above).
    They are no longer made but are built like a fortress,very reliable and function fantastically.. While it is considered a DJ table, you can add an higher fidelity needle if it already doesnt have one.
    Suziemay wrote:
    That's purty :D
    Comes in blue, green, black and white as well. :)
  • so your swaying me to the carbon, might as well get something good while I'm at it. But i will need a preamp, which i know nothing about. Are there major differences between one brand or another, and price?

• pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Another option... go scan ebay and try and get yourself a Technics (SL Series-1200,1210MK and above).
    They are no longer made but are built like a fortress,very reliable and function fantastically

+1 on the SL-1200
    fctzrs.jpg
    aqo2t.jpg
    pjradio wrote:

+1 on the SL-1200
    :thumbup:
    Gotta admit, I am a Technics guy. Love my 1210MKII
    Gotta admit, I am a Technics guy. Love my 1210MKII

same here...but I am curious about some of those mid-range Project Tables
    aqo2t.jpg
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    pjradio wrote:
    They are no longer made but are built like a fortress,very reliable and function fantastically

+1 on the SL-1200
    fctzrs.jpg
    + the best one i ever worked as dj....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • RD171825RD171825 Posts: 440
    Can't got wrong with a Technics turntable! My gf has a Technics SL-Q3 and its great and built like a tank. I've got a less impressive Sony turntable that I will hopefully upgrade soon. Do not buy a USB table... blech.
  • SPJSPJ BRIGANTINE BEACH Posts: 255
    I have an Audio Technica LP120 that your looking at. I also have an Pro Ject Debut III that I use at my other home at the shore. I've had a Technics 1200 that I've owned (bought used) and gave to my son so he has a turntable. That being said I'm very familiar with these models. 1st, if you put the Audio Technica and the Technics side to side they would look almost identical. All the controls are the same and in the same place and perform the same function.
    The only difference I see with these two models are the weight, with the Technics being heavier. Heavier not necessarily being better. The casing on the Technics is of a marginally better quality. The Audio Technica has a USB that you can download your LP's to your computer. When I bought The Technics it was like I said used and slightly abused, after all these were designed as DJ units and meant to be moved around. It's a great turntable. But no better than the Audio Technica. With the Audio Technica you get a new unit with a well matched cartridge and a great price. You will (and I have) spend more on a used Technics.
    Moving on to the Pro Ject, this is a very sleek unit with high quality cartridge and tonearm. It looks great and is very stylish, but you will need a preamp so add $100. Also to change the speed you will need to take the mat and platter off and place the belt on a different spindle.there are other upgrades that you can do too. For the best value for your money I would go with the Audio Technica for a complete turntable.
  • +1 for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I really like this turntable and the cartrigde and tone arm that it comes with are awesome. Simple but very well made.
    Only drawback is having to change the belt for different speeds (not that much of a big deal).
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    +1 for the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. I really like this turntable and the cartrigde and tone arm that it comes with are awesome. Simple but very well made.
    Only drawback is having to change the belt for different speeds (not that much of a big deal).

got me a project debut III here- no complaints, Changing the belt is a pain but a great rig. Dont forget you may need a pre-amp so factor that into your budget.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    Check out craigs list and garage sales; that's where I've gotten mine from. You can get them for a decent price (well below $300) and they sound just as good if not better than some of the turntables they're making today. Just my $0.02.

Good luck with your search!
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • I've been reading this post and have found the information useful. Thank you!
    I was hoping someone would know if the Audio Technica turntable needed a stylus upgrade? And what are the different options for needles?
    Thanks in advance for the advice. I have some new vinyl I want to really treat right :mrgreen:

Audio-Technica AT-LP120:http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355267799&sr=8-1&keywords=audio+technics
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,506
    Sounds like you have your mind set on a brand new player, but just wanted to mention that a really good way to go can be a used player from a place that specializes in this equipment, both selling and repairing. I got my 60s turntable via my mom via my grandfather, but when I get a "new" one, I'm going to the experts and they will hook me up with a sweet, ready to go turntable that is great quality, but so much cheaper because it's used. If you have a store that specializes in used electronics, you'll be able to ask them all the questions you have, and they'll make it their business to set you up with the perfect set up fr you, turntable and receiver, speakers if you need them, and you'll some $$. Although I do understand wanting brand new; I just feel like going this other way ultimately can get you closer to what's best for your needs, a wider selection, and more hands on advice on the system you buy. If you're not sure about a place like this near you, ask around at the record stores. Most cities have a good go-to electronics store like this that good record store owners know about. :)
    (The go-to place in Vancouver is Lotusland, at Alma and 10th - great guys running the place; really know their stuff. They hooked me up with a great receiver for such a great price, and helped me with some questions about my turntable, which they hooked up and messed around with, answered all my questions, etc. Love those guys!). :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thanks for the advice! I love vintage! I currently spin a pioneer pl 12d with an sx 1050 receiver and a pair of
    Cs 63dx's! But I love the styling of the audio Technica plus USB intrigues me. Also mine is belt drive. I'd like a direct drive. I know if you ask most audiophiles, it's in the needle.
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
    Thanks for the advice! I love vintage! I currently spin a pioneer pl 12d with an sx 1050 receiver and a pair of
    Cs 63dx's! But I love the styling of the audio Technica plus USB intrigues me. Also mine is belt drive. I'd like a direct drive. I know if you ask most audiophiles, it's in the needle.
    USB intrigues me too actually (but there is a certain something about old school... would be nice for when the album doesn't come with a free download though!). These stores definitely have newer stuff now as well... New can be nice though. :) Yes, I've heard this about the needle too; I wonder; if someone asked me, I'd tell them that the speakers are most important, but who knows (It may ceftainly be the case if you're only talking about the turntable).

What is the appeal you see in a direct drive btw? Just for lasting power, or is there something mechanically more effective about it? :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • U dont have to replace belts is all...
    IT'S EVOLUTION BABY!!!!!
    U dont have to replace belts is all...
    I haven't so far in mine, which is maybe 45 years old and my mom has one that is at least 40 years old and no probs (that seems impressive) ... but I keep hearing people talking about them wearing out. :?:
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,073
    What would you guys recommend for a pre-amp if buying one of those pro-ject tables?

I've been using my generic 99 dollar Sony player for years and have been thinking of upgrading.
    i have this one...worked well so far with my SL-1200 for the last year or so. Quiet, doesn't heat up, knobs don't fall off ( :D ),cheap (relatively speaking)

http://www.guitarcenter.com/BBE-FJB-200 ... er-reviews
    aqo2t.jpg
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,680
    cool thread
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    SPJ wrote:
    I have an Audio Technica LP120 that your looking at. I also have an Pro Ject Debut III that I use at my other home at the shore. I've had a Technics 1200 that I've owned (bought used) and gave to my son so he has a turntable. That being said I'm very familiar with these models. 1st, if you put the Audio Technica and the Technics side to side they would look almost identical. All the controls are the same and in the same place and perform the same function.
    The only difference I see with these two models are the weight, with the Technics being heavier. Heavier not necessarily being better. The casing on the Technics is of a marginally better quality. The Audio Technica has a USB that you can download your LP's to your computer. When I bought The Technics it was like I said used and slightly abused, after all these were designed as DJ units and meant to be moved around. It's a great turntable. But no better than the Audio Technica. With the Audio Technica you get a new unit with a well matched cartridge and a great price. You will (and I have) spend more on a used Technics.
    Moving on to the Pro Ject, this is a very sleek unit with high quality cartridge and tonearm. It looks great and is very stylish, but you will need a preamp so add $100. Also to change the speed you will need to take the mat and platter off and place the belt on a different spindle.there are other upgrades that you can do too. For the best value for your money I would go with the Audio Technica for a complete turntable.

I use a Lp120 and the only gripe i have with it is the plastic clamp to keep the arm in place is kinda flimsy other than that a very solid turntable.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • I recently got a Technics SL-D303. Love it!
    2013 : London, Buffalo
    agreed!... I always leave my cueing lever in the up position on the tonearm rest. I would only use the clamp if I was transporting it.

I use a Lp120 and the only gripe i have with it is the plastic clamp to keep the arm in place is kinda flimsy other than that a very solid turntable.[/quote]
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    Interesting Kickstarter campaign if you can hold off a few months...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0
    jamburger wrote:
    Interesting Kickstarter campaign if you can hold off a few months...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uturnaudio/the-orbit-turntable-0
    I can't imagine having my turntable on a coffee table right in front of my sofa like in that photo... if you bump the table getting up or something you're fucked. Kind of a sweet-looking turntable though. I kind of like the minimalist look, although would never ever buy a turntable without a hood.
  • jamburgerjamburger Posts: 1,775
    PJ_Soul wrote:
    ...although would never ever buy a turntable without a hood.

Dustcover included.