Official Neil Young Thread

15152535557

Comments

  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 7,618
    hmmm.... I want to watch/listen to that

    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    Check out this ‘master set list’ that Neil and POTR drew up for Arroyo Seco on Saturday. Some really rare stuff on here that may see the light of day for the first time in years.

    Someone spotted ‘It’s Raining in Paradise’ on there... It’s from 1982, a studio outtake either from the rejected Island In The Sun album or from Trans, and it’s never been officially released, never been played live...


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh 38Posts: 413
    Do they have that setlist on the stage with them and just cherry pick from it or something or what way do they work it, like where was that photograph posted? That's awesome. I love love love artists that have so much stuff in their repertoire that they can just play stuff they haven't done for years (no shit Conor, look who's website we're all posting on!). It's something that I try to do with my own music as well actually, this very technique, a master setlist and once something has been played once it doesn't get done again til all others have been played.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    edited June 28
    Do they have that setlist on the stage with them and just cherry pick from it or something or what way do they work it, like where was that photograph posted? That's awesome. I love love love artists that have so much stuff in their repertoire that they can just play stuff they haven't done for years (no shit Conor, look who's website we're all posting on!). It's something that I try to do with my own music as well actually, this very technique, a master setlist and once something has been played once it doesn't get done again til all others have been played.
    The photo was taken at Arroyo Seco (you can see the stage backdrop), and posted on Instagram, then added to an NY Facebook group. I think it's the list of the songs they have been working on; some reviews of the show mention that Neil was choosing some of the songs as he went along. It says a lot about POTR - and the respect Neil has for them - that they have such a huge list to chose from and can change on a whim.
    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot CaliforniaPosts: 300
    I could have seen him in Fresno in May...but life got in the way. Hope those show will be available in the Archive soon. BTW, when can we start paying for subscription?


  • YefaYefa Posts: 950
    Farm Aid will be held in Hartford on September 22.

    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

    http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 14,476
    Those Neil w/POTR setlists the last few days are SICK
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    I could have seen him in Fresno in May...but life got in the way. Hope those show will be available in the Archive soon. BTW, when can we start paying for subscription?
    The NYA site says “any day now”...


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    edited June 28
    goldrush said:
    Do they have that setlist on the stage with them and just cherry pick from it or something or what way do they work it, like where was that photograph posted? That's awesome. I love love love artists that have so much stuff in their repertoire that they can just play stuff they haven't done for years (no shit Conor, look who's website we're all posting on!). It's something that I try to do with my own music as well actually, this very technique, a master setlist and once something has been played once it doesn't get done again til all others have been played.
    The photo was taken at Arroyo Seco (you can see the stage backdrop), and posted on Instagram, then added to an NY Facebook group. I think it's the list of the songs they have been working on; some reviews of the show mention that Neil was choosing some of the songs as he went along. It says a lot about POTR - and the respect Neil has for them - that they have such a huge list to chose from and can change on a whim.
    Confirmation on NYA that ‘the giant song list’ is real! Anything can happen with POTR!


    Post edited by goldrush on
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNSPosts: 7,091
    goldrush said:
    goldrush said:
    Do they have that setlist on the stage with them and just cherry pick from it or something or what way do they work it, like where was that photograph posted? That's awesome. I love love love artists that have so much stuff in their repertoire that they can just play stuff they haven't done for years (no shit Conor, look who's website we're all posting on!). It's something that I try to do with my own music as well actually, this very technique, a master setlist and once something has been played once it doesn't get done again til all others have been played.
    The photo was taken at Arroyo Seco (you can see the state backdrop), and posted on Instagram, then added to an NY Facebook group. I think it's the list of the songs they have been working on; some reviews of the show mention that Neil was choosing some of the songs as he went along. It says a lot about POTR - and the respect Neil has for them - that they have such a huge list to chose from and can change on a whim.
    Confirmation on NYA that ‘the giant song list’ is real! Anything can happen with POTR!



    Damn, that is so fucking cool. I hope they do a more extensive tour with POTR.

    I saw the first performance of Neil and Willie's boys together back at Farm Aid in Raleigh.

    Acoustic version of Rockin'. never thought they would go on to be such a great backup band for Neil.

    livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446
    1995- New Orleans, LA
    1996- Charleston, SC
    1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN
    2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN
    2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA
    2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)
    2006- Cincinnati, OH
    2008- Columbia, SC
    2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Ved- Atlanta, GA x 2
    2010- Bristow, VA
    2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Ved- Chicago, IL
    2012- Atlanta, GA
    2013- Charlotte, NC
    2014- Cincinnati, OH
    2015- New York, NY
    2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA: Raleigh, NC: Columbia, SC: Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

    2017- Ed Ved- Louisville, KY

  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    Some fan shot videos from Arroyo Seco are on the Tube now

    Like An Inca


    Fuckin' Up


    Cortez


    I Am A Child


    RITFW


    Hey Hey, My My


    Powderfinger


    Ohio


    Down By The River

    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 7,618
    Man he is pure magic. My netire life, from childhood till now just flows over me when I hear that voice. Man I need to see him live more than I have. Once a tour aint enough.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,744
    edited June 28
    I've loved Neil's music for so long it's unreal but for the life of me, try as I might, I just can't get behind POTR.  I don't know what's up with that.
    "Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 14,476
    POTR is LEGIT!!!!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 41,037
    edited June 28
    brianlux said:
    I've loved Neil's music for so long it's unreal but for the life of me, try as I might, I just can't get behind POTR.  I don't know what's up with that.
    Their live jam skills are tremendous. They almost blew my face off when I saw them. They have no problem keeping up with Neil when they're jamming, and it's all very creative IMO. :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    brianlux said:
    I've loved Neil's music for so long it's unreal but for the life of me, try as I might, I just can't get behind POTR.  I don't know what's up with that.
    Is there anything in particular you don’t like about them Brian? I haven’t listened to any of their stuff without Neil, but I love the way they inspire him on stage. Crazy Horse may be ‘the ultimate garage band’ but there’s no way they could pull off half of the songs that Neil has available to play now.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,744
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    I've loved Neil's music for so long it's unreal but for the life of me, try as I might, I just can't get behind POTR.  I don't know what's up with that.
    Is there anything in particular you don’t like about them Brian? I haven’t listened to any of their stuff without Neil, but I love the way they inspire him on stage. Crazy Horse may be ‘the ultimate garage band’ but there’s no way they could pull off half of the songs that Neil has available to play now.
    It's hard for me to put a finger on why, really.  One thing for sure, when Neil is on stage, I have no interest in anyone else playing lead guitar.  And generally I'm not a fan of the three guitars/ bass, drums configuration.  Judging by the video footage I've seen, the vibe of that band just doesn't work for me.  There's a sound quality there that doesn't do it for me. 

    Nothing I've said is meant in any way to disparage the band.  We all hear differently.  There is a lot of music I respect and appreciate but that I don't care for.  I'd guess we all feel that way, right?

    The other reason- and I fully admit this is sheer bias speaking- is that POTR to be is to me like a side project.  For me, there is just no substitute for Crazy Horse.  Again, this is no slam on POTR.  They make music that excites their fans and I give them total respect for that... just not time on my turn table.
    "Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 41,037
    edited June 29
    brianlux said:
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    I've loved Neil's music for so long it's unreal but for the life of me, try as I might, I just can't get behind POTR.  I don't know what's up with that.
    Is there anything in particular you don’t like about them Brian? I haven’t listened to any of their stuff without Neil, but I love the way they inspire him on stage. Crazy Horse may be ‘the ultimate garage band’ but there’s no way they could pull off half of the songs that Neil has available to play now.
    It's hard for me to put a finger on why, really.  One thing for sure, when Neil is on stage, I have no interest in anyone else playing lead guitar.  And generally I'm not a fan of the three guitars/ bass, drums configuration.  Judging by the video footage I've seen, the vibe of that band just doesn't work for me.  There's a sound quality there that doesn't do it for me. 

    Nothing I've said is meant in any way to disparage the band.  We all hear differently.  There is a lot of music I respect and appreciate but that I don't care for.  I'd guess we all feel that way, right?

    The other reason- and I fully admit this is sheer bias speaking- is that POTR to be is to me like a side project.  For me, there is just no substitute for Crazy Horse.  Again, this is no slam on POTR.  They make music that excites their fans and I give them total respect for that... just not time on my turn table.
    Oh, I don't think they're making any studio music that particularly excites the fans, lol. POTR are really good with Neil live, so I can appreciate them, but the albums Neil and them have released are generally pretty bad in the scheme of things. I can enjoy The Monsanto Years, but everything they've done in the studio after that isn't worth my time. If I hadn't actually seen them perform I think my opinion would be lower.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 7,618
    Neil has played more with other bands than he has with CH.
    The man they call my enemy. I've seen his eyes, he looks just like me - A mirror...
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    Speaking of Monsanto, Neil’s going to have get creative with his lyrics if he’s going to play those songs again...


    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 41,037
    goldrush said:
    Speaking of Monsanto, Neil’s going to have get creative with his lyrics if he’s going to play those songs again...


    Oh shit, I didn't know about that... This actually really makes the title "The Monsanto Years" more meaningful, lol. The Monsanto Years: 1901 - 2018.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,744
    Neil has played more with other bands than he has with CH.
    Maybe so, but, for my tastes, never as intensely and excitingly.   What can I say? I'm a Crazy Horse FANATIC!
    "Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,744
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    Speaking of Monsanto, Neil’s going to have get creative with his lyrics if he’s going to play those songs again...


    Oh shit, I didn't know about that... This actually really makes the title "The Monsanto Years" more meaningful, lol. The Monsanto Years: 1901 - 2018.
    What the??? Holy shit!  "Bayer" - most people will associate that with something kinder and gentler like baby aspirin.  What a dirty dog move!
    "Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    Speaking of Monsanto, Neil’s going to have get creative with his lyrics if he’s going to play those songs again...


    Oh shit, I didn't know about that... This actually really makes the title "The Monsanto Years" more meaningful, lol. The Monsanto Years: 1901 - 2018.
    What the??? Holy shit!  "Bayer" - most people will associate that with something kinder and gentler like baby aspirin.  What a dirty dog move!

    Most people will probably only know the pharmaceutical side of things, or the Bayer 04 Leverkusen football team. But Bayer's parent company, Bayer AG, was part of the German chemical conglomerate IG Farben, which used Jewish slaves at its factories during the Holocaust. IG Farben purchased prisoners for human experimentation of a sleep-inducing drug and later reported that all test subjects died. They also had a significant investment in a company that made Zyklon B gas, which was used to kill hundreds of thousands of Jews at Auschwitz.

    There’s also the cough suppressant that they trademarked and marketed in the early 1900s as a non-addictive substitute for morphine - heroin! Bayer scientists were not the first to make heroin, but their scientists discovered ways to make it, and they led commercialization of heroin. Heroin was a Bayer trademark until after World War I.

    So, not exactly the good guys...

    Don’t tell Neil!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    In happier news, the Archives will be free for a little while longer



    The drop of unreleased tracks, the mobile apps, more live streams, and repeat screenings of previous streamed shows... I can’t wait!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,744
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    Speaking of Monsanto, Neil’s going to have get creative with his lyrics if he’s going to play those songs again...


    Oh shit, I didn't know about that... This actually really makes the title "The Monsanto Years" more meaningful, lol. The Monsanto Years: 1901 - 2018.
    What the??? Holy shit!  "Bayer" - most people will associate that with something kinder and gentler like baby aspirin.  What a dirty dog move!

    Most people will probably only know the pharmaceutical side of things, or the Bayer 04 Leverkusen football team. But Bayer's parent company, Bayer AG, was part of the German chemical conglomerate IG Farben, which used Jewish slaves at its factories during the Holocaust. IG Farben purchased prisoners for human experimentation of a sleep-inducing drug and later reported that all test subjects died. They also had a significant investment in a company that made Zyklon B gas, which was used to kill hundreds of thousands of Jews at Auschwitz.

    There’s also the cough suppressant that they trademarked and marketed in the early 1900s as a non-addictive substitute for morphine - heroin! Bayer scientists were not the first to make heroin, but their scientists discovered ways to make it, and they led commercialization of heroin. Heroin was a Bayer trademark until after World War I.

    So, not exactly the good guys...

    Don’t tell Neil!
    Fascinating!

    And yes, that would throw Neil in to a whole new mission!
    "Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 14,476
    goldrush said:
    In happier news, the Archives will be free for a little while longer



    The drop of unreleased tracks, the mobile apps, more live streams, and repeat screenings of previous streamed shows... I can’t wait!
    Once its mobile, I'm in for life
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowherePosts: 4,014
    New Neil solo show stream announced! July 3rd, live from Detroit.



    The solo shows have had some awesome setlists so far, so this is definitely one to catch!
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

    “Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain.Posts: 23,744
    goldrush said:
    New Neil solo show stream announced! July 3rd, live from Detroit.



    The solo shows have had some awesome setlists so far, so this is definitely one to catch!
    Cool!  Thanks for the heads up!
    "Pretty cookie heart squares all around, hey!"
    -Smile
    ***********
    M.I.T.S.



  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 41,037
    edited July 3
    goldrush said:
    brianlux said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    goldrush said:
    Speaking of Monsanto, Neil’s going to have get creative with his lyrics if he’s going to play those songs again...


    Oh shit, I didn't know about that... This actually really makes the title "The Monsanto Years" more meaningful, lol. The Monsanto Years: 1901 - 2018.
    What the??? Holy shit!  "Bayer" - most people will associate that with something kinder and gentler like baby aspirin.  What a dirty dog move!

    Most people will probably only know the pharmaceutical side of things, or the Bayer 04 Leverkusen football team. But Bayer's parent company, Bayer AG, was part of the German chemical conglomerate IG Farben, which used Jewish slaves at its factories during the Holocaust. IG Farben purchased prisoners for human experimentation of a sleep-inducing drug and later reported that all test subjects died. They also had a significant investment in a company that made Zyklon B gas, which was used to kill hundreds of thousands of Jews at Auschwitz.

    There’s also the cough suppressant that they trademarked and marketed in the early 1900s as a non-addictive substitute for morphine - heroin! Bayer scientists were not the first to make heroin, but their scientists discovered ways to make it, and they led commercialization of heroin. Heroin was a Bayer trademark until after World War I.

    So, not exactly the good guys...

    Don’t tell Neil!
    I don't feel like what they did back in Nazi Germany days or how they put heroin in their medicine is relevant to anything now whatsoever. I don't hate Germany as a nation for the same reason, and Coca-Cola actually used to put cocaine in their soft drink. It doesn't matter anymore.

    But yeah, someone's got to make a big to-do about Monsanta now being Bayer, so that people know. Better yet, new laws have to be written about identifying GMO products on packaging. Although what is also needed is a true educational campaign about GMOs in general, because in my opinion, the majority of people don't even know why in the hell they shouldn't like GMOs. Most people seem to think it's all about health, but it's totally not (hell, most people don't even know what genetically modified food is at all, but decide to be against it anyway - it's ridiculous). The danger is in the local and global socio-political economics of it all.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Sign In or Register to comment.