Options

The National Football League

Comments

• Options
    What underhanded things? Because belichek knows the rule book better than the refs? Because he's been involved in the game since he was a kid and meticulously prepares for every aspect of the game? Because he just might be the most brilliant coach to ever play in the game? I'm not on here touting their wins or saying how great they are or bitching that they lost. It's the sour grapers who can't stand the fact that they win time and time again, finding a way and getting it done. And the haters extend to the other owners, their coaches and players because when they get beat, the patriots must have cheated. I've been a fan since the early 70s and lived through many a blackout Sunday and 1-13 or 2-12 seasons. Every Yankee victory since aroid and petite and their ilk should be tossed and they should be considered cheaters forever now? And the Atlanta Falcons and the other team for communicating the signals to the sidelines? Sorry, I don't care about that shit cuz at the end of the day, you have to perform on the field. Haters gonna hate and I'm going to enjoy watching the Patriots win the Super Bowl and when it happens, what's the excuse going to be?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,343
    edited October 2015
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

It would be too ironic to see Goodell hand Brady or Kraft that 50th Lombardy Trophy. Then watch Brady stare Goodell off the stage....that would be too funny. I hope that scenario can come to pass.

Peace

that would be awesome
    from an Eagles fan. and you think that would be awesome. wow what a fraud. :confused::unamused:
    if the eagles don't win it, i'd love to see the pats win it just to piss people like you off.

once a cheater always a cheater!
    Dude, you've been on the Pats bandwagon for a good year now, at least on here. It's at the point where it's more than just hoping them winning will piss people off. I also find it mildly ironic that you are the person who started the fraud thread to call other people out.
    I've liked the patriots for years, actually.

and since the eagles and pats have no rivalry to speak of, I don't think it's fraudulent. but i'm always open to that discussion.

do you feel like you have to hate diamondbacks because of 2001? or the ravens for the 2000 sb?
    I don't think it has to do with that at all, though I don't like either of those teams.

I'd view it the same way you look at someone who likes the late 90's Yankees but didn't like them before that.
    hmmm. interesting take. I know hawks is always irrationally angry at me for the rivalry reason which is laughable to me. there is zero rivalry between the two teams. none.

i disagree with you because the yankees and lakers and cowboys etc are bandwagon teams that people gravitate to because it's popular to be fans of those teams. I think the pats are kind of anti those teams. just look at all the vitriol people have towards them in here. and it's not like I have a brady jersey or have my car littered with pats bumper stickers. i'm a birds fan first and foremost, obviously.

I just respect their greatness and ability to win year in, year out, while constantly changing their lineups and schemes on an almost weekly basis, especially in salary cap era. as a fan of the sport, they are fascinating to watch. they're an organization I want the eagles to be at some point down the road........well that, and they are the team I have easily made the most money on gambling over the years--including sunday. that was easy money.
    when did i ever say it was a rivalry? I just don't get any Eagles fan liking the Pats of hoping they win. Bottom line is there is a chance they cheated us out a Super Bowl and their owner, coach and QB are 3 extremely unlikable human beings. As Cliffy said from a guy who started a fraud fan thread and loves to call people out for their fandom I have to call Fraud on you and the Pats. sorry i don't get it.

the sad part about the Pats, Bellichek and Tom Brady is with Tom Brady at QB they probably don't need to do the underhanded things they do to consistently win yet they still do it. They would probably win just as much if they weren't cheaters but some people are just bad humn beings. I respect Tom Brady as a QB. Maybe the best ever but I've lost all respect for Bellichek and Brady as human beings and as sportsmen. I don't understand anyone outside of Pats fans wanting them to win.
    out for blood, I tell ya! the american people deserve justice for deflategate!
    haha

sorry i don't conform to your philadelphia sports fan stereotype. i'm just a rational person who thinks the stuff they were caught doing was pretty negligible, on par with what the phils were caught doing a few years ago. and in no way shape or form do I blame that for the eagles losing the super bowl. i'm more upset about those championship games they were actually favored in that they choked away. the pats were just the better team in '04. at some point, you will have to accept that. it's been 11 years already. time to move on, cataldi.

and, sorry fella, just because you think someone is unlikeable, doesn't mean other people are obligated to agree with you on that. talk about being irrational. haha.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,126
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

It would be too ironic to see Goodell hand Brady or Kraft that 50th Lombardy Trophy. Then watch Brady stare Goodell off the stage....that would be too funny. I hope that scenario can come to pass.

Peace

that would be awesome
    from an Eagles fan. and you think that would be awesome. wow what a fraud. :confused::unamused:
    if the eagles don't win it, i'd love to see the pats win it just to piss people like you off.

Dude, you've been on the Pats bandwagon for a good year now, at least on here. It's at the point where it's more than just hoping them winning will piss people off. I also find it mildly ironic that you are the person who started the fraud thread to call other people out.

and since the eagles and pats have no rivalry to speak of, I don't think it's fraudulent. but i'm always open to that discussion.

do you feel like you have to hate diamondbacks because of 2001? or the ravens for the 2000 sb?
    I don't think it has to do with that at all, though I don't like either of those teams.

I'd view it the same way you look at someone who likes the late 90's Yankees but didn't like them before that.
    hmmm. interesting take. I know hawks is always irrationally angry at me for the rivalry reason which is laughable to me. there is zero rivalry between the two teams. none.

i disagree with you because the yankees and lakers and cowboys etc are bandwagon teams that people gravitate to because it's popular to be fans of those teams. I think the pats are kind of anti those teams. just look at all the vitriol people have towards them in here. and it's not like I have a brady jersey or have my car littered with pats bumper stickers. i'm a birds fan first and foremost, obviously.

I just respect their greatness and ability to win year in, year out, while constantly changing their lineups and schemes on an almost weekly basis, especially in salary cap era. as a fan of the sport, they are fascinating to watch. they're an organization I want the eagles to be at some point down the road........well that, and they are the team I have easily made the most money on gambling over the years--including sunday. that was easy money.
    when did i ever say it was a rivalry? I just don't get any Eagles fan liking the Pats of hoping they win. Bottom line is there is a chance they cheated us out a Super Bowl and their owner, coach and QB are 3 extremely unlikable human beings. As Cliffy said from a guy who started a fraud fan thread and loves to call people out for their fandom I have to call Fraud on you and the Pats. sorry i don't get it.

the sad part about the Pats, Bellichek and Tom Brady is with Tom Brady at QB they probably don't need to do the underhanded things they do to consistently win yet they still do it. They would probably win just as much if they weren't cheaters but some people are just bad humn beings. I respect Tom Brady as a QB. Maybe the best ever but I've lost all respect for Bellichek and Brady as human beings and as sportsmen. I don't understand anyone outside of Pats fans wanting them to win.
    Well, even though it maybe difficult for you to understand, the fact is they are fans out there that are NOT Patriot fans that WILL root for them. I know a few on the RUSH board, it is what it is. As long as your team comes first and that there's no rivalry I don't see what is fraudulent whatsoever. Ex: I'll root for the Cowboys except Sunday past and even though I can't stand the owner JJ.

Peace

*We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,474

igotid88 said:

Every team that wins has bandwagin fans. Patriots as well.

I think it's actually more bandwagony and fashionable to hate the patriots. the last 9 months have kind of proven that, don't you think? the american people, god love them, were out for blood, and doggonnit, ol' roger goodel was hell bent on giving it to 'em!
    Goodell was more the villain than Brady was. Majority of people were still saying Brady is a great qb. Or the Pats still could have won even if they didn't cheat.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

I think it's actually more bandwagony and fashionable to hate the patriots. the last 9 months have kind of proven that, don't you think? the american people, god love them, were out for blood, and doggonnit, ol' roger goodel was hell bent on giving it to 'em!
    Goodell was more the villain than Brady was. Majority of people were still saying Brady is a great qb. Or the Pats still could have won even if they didn't cheat.
    well as stupid as most people are, they're not that dumb to think the pats and brady are not great. role of villain was played by all parties involved though. i'm surprised you see it differently. google: most hated team in nfl.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,219

What underhanded things? Because belichek knows the rule book better than the refs? Because he's been involved in the game since he was a kid and meticulously prepares for every aspect of the game? Because he just might be the most brilliant coach to ever play in the game? I'm not on here touting their wins or saying how great they are or bitching that they lost. It's the sour grapers who can't stand the fact that they win time and time again, finding a way and getting it done. And the haters extend to the other owners, their coaches and players because when they get beat, the patriots must have cheated. I've been a fan since the early 70s and lived through many a blackout Sunday and 1-13 or 2-12 seasons. Every Yankee victory since aroid and petite and their ilk should be tossed and they should be considered cheaters forever now? And the Atlanta Falcons and the other team for communicating the signals to the sidelines? Sorry, I don't care about that shit cuz at the end of the day, you have to perform on the field. Haters gonna hate and I'm going to enjoy watching the Patriots win the Super Bowl and when it happens, what's the excuse going to be?

what part of the rule book allows you to send a team employee into the others teams locker room to steal the other teams play charts before games? come on dude you're grasping here.

ARod is hated because he is a cheater and an unlikable human being so bad example.

as i said on the previous page, the saddest part is the Pats don't have to cheat to win yet they still feel the need to be underhanded. i have no respect for that. line up play the game and win and i'll pat you on the back. cheat and be underhanded good for you and your fans for winning but doesn't mean i have to give any respect to you for said win.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

that would be awesome

haha

sorry i don't conform to your philadelphia sports fan stereotype. i'm just a rational person who thinks the stuff they were caught doing was pretty negligible, on par with what the phils were caught doing a few years ago. and in no way shape or form do I blame that for the eagles losing the super bowl. i'm more upset about those championship games they were actually favored in that they choked away. the pats were just the better team in '04. at some point, you will have to accept that. it's been 11 years already. time to move on, cataldi.

and, sorry fella, just because you think someone is unlikeable, doesn't mean other people are obligated to agree with you on that. talk about being irrational. haha.
    ok...but by your own definitely you are a fraud :smiley:
  • Options

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

well as stupid as most people are, they're not that dumb to think the pats and brady are not great. role of villain was played by all parties involved though. i'm surprised you see it differently. google: most hated team in nfl.
    They're not hated because they win. It's how they've won. And because Bellichick and Brady make it hard to root for them. Especially when Brady spikes the ball like a jerk when he scored that rushing touchdown last Sunday. But then there are people who like that. Eli on the other hand is hated for nothing.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

what part of the rule book allows you to send a team employee into the others teams locker room to steal the other teams play charts before games? come on dude you're grasping here.

ARod is hated because he is a cheater and an unlikable human being so bad example.

as i said on the previous page, the saddest part is the Pats don't have to cheat to win yet they still feel the need to be underhanded. i have no respect for that. line up play the game and win and i'll pat you on the back. cheat and be underhanded good for you and your fans for winning but doesn't mean i have to give any respect to you for said win.
    Guess what? The pats don't need nor are they looking for your respect. They're looking for and playing for wins. What evidence is there that team employees stole opposing teams play charts? Disgrunteled former employees? Unnamed sources? Supposition or superstition? Was that a roger goddell investigation or sour grapes sour graping? Or sports writers from opposing cities quoting unnamed sources. Get over it and move on dude.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

They're not hated because they win. It's how they've won. And because Bellichick and Brady make it hard to root for them. Especially when Brady spikes the ball like a jerk when he scored that rushing touchdown last Sunday. But then there are people who like that. Eli on the other hand is hated for nothing.
    never said they are hated because they win.

I don't sense a lot of hate for eli at all. he gets made fun of for the dumb faces he makes and he throws a ton of picks. but in general, I think people respect the guy. I do and i'm an eagles fan. I think you are overly sensitive/protective of him..
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

that would be awesome

haha

uh, by my own "definitely" i'm not. there is no rivalry what so ever. they are not in the same division or conference.

the eagles have played the patriots 11 times in their almost 80 year team history. stop being irrational.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

igotid88 said:

Tom Brady plays with passion and with a huge chip on his shoulder. He's a team leader who wins, plays to his fullest potential and expects his team mates to do the same. One thing Tom Brady has not done is make excuses or thrown his team mates under the bus. He wins and amongst other NFL quarterbacks and players, is highly respected. And he doesn't care what you or the haters think of him. If and when Eli goes 4-2 in Super Bowls, he'll be hated. Especially by Pats fans, ha, ha, ha!

Brilliantati©
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

that would be awesome

haha

uh, by my own "definitely" i'm not. there is no rivalry what so ever. they are not in the same division or conference.

the eagles have played the patriots 11 times in their almost 80 year team history. stop being irrational.
    oops clearly meant by your own 'definition' you are a fraud, not definitely. my bad.
    If you are a season ticket holder (if you still are) of an NFL team and say it would be 'awesome' (your words not mine) that another team wins the Super Bowl I would call that fraudulent behavior and i don't think any rational person would disagree with me.

once again i never said it was a rivalry. i've gaven you my reasons for not liking them. pretty much the same reasons why most people don't like them. not sure why that isn't clear.

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,986
    Not sure who to pick in a survivor/suicide pool this week.

Debating between:
    Bengals over Bills
    Jets over Redskins
    Cardinals over Steelers

leaning towards the Jets though :confounded:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options

Debating between:
    Bengals over Bills
    Jets over Redskins
    Cardinals over Steelers

jets over skins would help us giants fans
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

that would be awesome

haha

oops clearly meant by your own 'definition' you are a fraud, not definitely. my bad.
    If you are a season ticket holder (if you still are) of an NFL team and say it would be 'awesome' (your words not mine) that another team wins the Super Bowl I would call that fraudulent behavior and i don't think any rational person would disagree with me.

once again i never said it was a rivalry. i've gaven you my reasons for not liking them. pretty much the same reasons why most people don't like them. not sure why that isn't clear.

Aw shucks. I guess I should've used a different word to confirm to pjhawks' philly fan stereotype.

Doh!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Debating between:
    Bengals over Bills
    Jets over Redskins
    Cardinals over Steelers

Always lean towards a better QB. Don't try to save a team this late.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I like reading this thread.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    edited October 2015
    In order to claim rooting interest in a sports team who is rated from very good to extremely successful, you must either hail from the region the team is from, or be able to establish some level of fandom from before the success started. If fandom is passed down from a paternal or maternal relationship, then the onus to establish past citizenship or unprivileged fandom is on the elder relatives who have passed on their fandom lineage.

Therefore, after reviewing all sides of the case, I have to rule against the Juggler. I'm sorry. Unless you can produce a non-flying elvis logo picture from pre-2000.

Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,668
    pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

that would be awesome

haha

Chalk me down as irrational then because I think that holding season tickets wouldnt make me stop being a fan of the sport and being able to appreciate another team's success if my chosen team to support did not win it. Head to head I would probably agree with you....but if my team of choice lost in the playoffs and another team (especially not the team that beat them to put them out, or not my natural rivals) was of interest to me I could/would fully root for them and depending on what might have interested me I might call it awesome.
    Seems odd that if my team doesnt win that I would not find any joy in the sport or find anything awesome.
    Judging by this and knowing that you are a Philly fan, have you never found a Super Bowl awesome? (Since they have never won) Been stoked for a team that won and thought it was very cool?
    Examples I can think of:
    John Elway getting his first ring, the 'helicopter' hit as he scrambled, how cool it was for him.
    The Saints winning one
    The Giants beating the Pats and stopping the undefeated season
    Spurt Warner leading the Rams to the bowl

Things/stories like that seem tough not to get behind as fans get excited for the NFL.

Is this what you feel it means to be a true Philly fan? I dont think I want to teach my son to have this outlook on sports, they are meant to be fun. (Even if your team crushes your heart, which happens to us all.) I am gearing him up at 1 1/2 in all things Eagles even though I am a 49ers fan. I want him to grow up loving the home team. (Just not hating every other team I guess)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

I've been a Patriot fan since 1971 and yes suffered through many a seasons of 1-2 wins that was the norm. The Celtics and the Bruins were the powers that be back then.....anyway I feel I now can root for other teams in the NFC (Saints, Cowboys) and the AFC (Ravens). To me none of that other team rooting is fraudulent to me because my allegiance will always be with BEANTOWN!

peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    you can certainly 'root' for other teams to some degree as long as it isn't front-running... and you do not wear apparel and act like a fan, complete with talking trash to other people, facebooking about how big a fan you are, or accepting congrats if they win. I guess a better word is 'pulling' for teams.

People certainly are allowed to pick a team for the Superbowl to pull for (without getting overly excited for reasons other than financial gain or if you have extreme dislike for one of the participants). Pulling for a team for a 'story' too is also permitted. Like Favre's last season, or New Orleans the season after Katrina, maybe a cinderella of some sort...

For me, in the NHL, I always root for the Western Canadian teams after Buffalo (EDM, CAL, WIN, VAN). But on a 1-10 of emotional attachment, they are like a 3 while Buffalo is a 10.

In the NFL, I don't really like any other team besides the Bills. Just who I put money on or FF interests... I kind of dig the Browns I guess because I'm an Indians fan and Cleveland/Buffalo are cousins.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,668
    I dont really root for the same teams from year to year but if the 49ers are shitty (like this year) and they do not make the playoffs I will look for someone else to root for through the playoffs...and if they have a cool story line I might even think it is awesome if they won.
    For the record -- I agree with our Juggler -- it would be awesome for Brady to get the trophy and flip Roger the bird. (I know, this likely incites another 10 posts about cheaters...please do not, I know many disagree and am cool with that.)
    Would I rather have the 49ers win the rest of the their games and go to the Bowl? Of course, no thought needed! But if that happens I will move to Nigeria and take up selling road maps.

I don't facetard but for sure agree with MayDay10's comments on pretending you are a fan of the team. Just because I would think it would be great for Brady to ram it down Roger's throat doesn't mean I am a Pats fan. (Even though I grew up in NE and went to games at Sullivan/Foxboro every year when the team was fucking horrid. I didn't root for them then either.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

Pulling for a team for a 'story' too is also permitted.

rule number 10.4 A
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Is this "sports fraud" thing like wearing a shirt to the concert of the band you're going to see?

Fuck rules. I root for whoever the hell I want, for whatever reason, and no one can tell me it's wrong or right or fraudulent. My rules.
  • Options
    there's no official laws... but I guess its what 2004 called a "man law".

Like if you were in a Philadelphia area high school with Chicago Bulls starter jackets and Michael Jordan posters wallpapering your locker, some people may have thought it was cool... but people who were into sports probably thought it was pretty lame.

You can root for whoever you want... the perception of it just gets sticky when people start to switch teams, to more successful ones. Most humans really wont notice or give a shit. For a good percentage of actual sports fans though its bogus and we all have known some violators.

I don't think that the concert shirt comparison is a good one as that's a dumb rule.
  • Options

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

pjhawks said:

g under p said:

Peace

that would be awesome

haha

Chalk me down as irrational then because I think that holding season tickets wouldnt make me stop being a fan of the sport and being able to appreciate another team's success if my chosen team to support did not win it. Head to head I would probably agree with you....but if my team of choice lost in the playoffs and another team (especially not the team that beat them to put them out, or not my natural rivals) was of interest to me I could/would fully root for them and depending on what might have interested me I might call it awesome.
    Seems odd that if my team doesnt win that I would not find any joy in the sport or find anything awesome.
    Judging by this and knowing that you are a Philly fan, have you never found a Super Bowl awesome? (Since they have never won) Been stoked for a team that won and thought it was very cool?
    Examples I can think of:
    John Elway getting his first ring, the 'helicopter' hit as he scrambled, how cool it was for him.
    The Saints winning one
    The Giants beating the Pats and stopping the undefeated season
    Spurt Warner leading the Rams to the bowl

Things/stories like that seem tough not to get behind as fans get excited for the NFL.

Is this what you feel it means to be a true Philly fan? I dont think I want to teach my son to have this outlook on sports, they are meant to be fun. (Even if your team crushes your heart, which happens to us all.) I am gearing him up at 1 1/2 in all things Eagles even though I am a 49ers fan. I want him to grow up loving the home team. (Just not hating every other team I guess)

you're dealing with one of the most irrational sports fans on these threads. he's just not gonna get it.

hey i also have always liked the bills since i was a kid. it would be awesome to see them finally win one too at some point..... OH NO!!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    by the way-- i love these discussions. and everything is always up for debate right here:
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/121118/are-you-a-sports-fan-fraud

go birds.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:

you can certainly 'root' for other teams to some degree as long as it isn't front-running... and you do not wear apparel and act like a fan, complete with talking trash to other people, facebooking about how big a fan you are, or accepting congrats if they win. I guess a better word is 'pulling' for teams.

People certainly are allowed to pick a team for the Superbowl to pull for (without getting overly excited for reasons other than financial gain or if you have extreme dislike for one of the participants). Pulling for a team for a 'story' too is also permitted. Like Favre's last season, or New Orleans the season after Katrina, maybe a cinderella of some sort...

For me, in the NHL, I always root for the Western Canadian teams after Buffalo (EDM, CAL, WIN, VAN). But on a 1-10 of emotional attachment, they are like a 3 while Buffalo is a 10.

In the NFL, I don't really like any other team besides the Bills. Just who I put money on or FF interests... I kind of dig the Browns I guess because I'm an Indians fan and Cleveland/Buffalo are cousins.

Yes, I think pulling for those other teams is a more appropriate term to use. Even though I really do like the Ravens since I can't stand the Foreskins while I once lived in MD. I had friend gave me a Nationals hat once when we went to a game in DC. I wore it while at the game but took it off before the end...it was the very first time I ever wore another teams hat and the very last time. It just felt weird to not have a Red Sox hat on and I like the Nationals.

Peace

• Options
    g under p said:

MayDay10 said:

Yes, I think pulling for those other teams is a more appropriate term to use. Even though I really do like the Ravens since I can't stand the Foreskins while I once lived in MD. I had friend gave me a Nationals hat once when we went to a game in DC. I wore it while at the game but took it off before the end...it was the very first time I ever wore another teams hat and the very last time. It just felt weird to not have a Red Sox hat on and I like the Nationals.

Peace
    you should never have put that hat on.
    chinese-happy.jpg