Options

***Official U2 Appreciation Thread***

Comments

• Options
    Sandy66Sandy66 Queensland, Australia Posts: 226
    Sitting at the O2 in London waiting for them to come on stage and they just played Evenflow :)
    BDO, Melbourne, 2014.   EV Solo, Melbourne, 2014.   Memphis, 2014.   Detroit, 2014.   St Paul, 2014.  Global Citizens Festival, NYC, 2015.   Columbia, 2016.   Jazz Fest, New Orleans, 2016.   Philly 1 & 2, 2016.   MSG 1 & 2, New York, 2016.  Ottawa, 2016.   Toronto 1, 2016.  Amsterdam 1 & 2, 2018.  London 1, 2018.  Padova, 2018.  Rome, 2018.  Prague, 2018.
  • Options
    Sandy66 said:

Sitting at the O2 in London waiting for them to come on stage and they just played Evenflow :)

Yup! It's up there in their playlist! It's very cool.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    do you think eno is such a flop for the more than one albums hes helped with u2
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,542
    I am actually starting to like Songs of Innocence now. :) It really didn't do anything for me up until now. Sometimes it just takes time (and sometimes no amount of time will help, lol). This is good - it's much better to like an album than to hate it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    elenelen Milan, Italy Posts: 188
    Not bad. I've danced with U2 on stage tonight :rock_on:
    2006: Verona, Milano, Honolulu
    2007: London
    2014: Milano
    2016: MSG1, MSG2, Fenway1, Fenway2, Wrigley1, Wrigley2
    2018: London1, Milano, Padova, Roma
  • Options
    elen said:

Not bad. I've danced with U2 on stage tonight :rock_on:

Good for you!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I only like their "early stuff"
  • Options

That is certainly their best work by far. After Atchung Baby it gets really hit and miss, and nothing since then has ever been as good. But still... the latest is a lot better than the last few albums IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    PJ_Soul said:

That is certainly their best work by far. After Atchung Baby it gets really hit and miss, and nothing since then has ever been as good. But still... the latest is a lot better than the last few albums IMO.
    I think Pop was an awesome follow up to AB. I do pine for a more guitar mixed version though. They released a few tracks on their Best of the 90s thing with some re-mixed Pop tracks that sound fucking bad ass. Edge turned off like 20 pedals and just played the shit out of these songs. You can hear his work in there for sure, these re-mixes are just more direct.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Finally learned about what "Mothers of the Dissappeared" on Joshua Tree is about while in Argentina. Felt like an ass not knowing about such a major event it was in Argentina but was like two years old at the time.
  • Options
    binaural2002binaural2002 Germany Posts: 2,367
    I saw U2 in Cologne 2 nights and I have to say it was fantastic! What a great show I had in the GA!
    Pearl Jam 11 / 306 / 121
    96 Zurich - 00 RaR - 07 Munich - 10 Berlin - 12 Berlin² - 14 Amsterdam² Berlin - 18 Berlin - 22 Zurich
    Eddie Vedder 1 / 27 / 27
    19 Düsseldorf
    Watch my videos on YouTube
    Pearl Jam/ Eddie Vedder Setlist-statistics in Google Drive-document >>>click here<<<
  • Options
    i like ultraviolet but they should play it on the circular stage but really we had already finished with it a while after the claw tour but ultraviolet makes me smile too
  • Options

Finally learned about what "Mothers of the Dissappeared" on Joshua Tree is about while in Argentina. Felt like an ass not knowing about such a major event it was in Argentina but was like two years old at the time.

So sad. I saw a documentary a while back about a reunion between the mother and her now-grown child. He was one of the few who were sold in an illegal adoption rather than killed. Really touching. How fucking awful. Human rights groups claim that 30,000 children were "disappeared" (the government says way, way less).
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,287
    Anyone watching the HBO show? Elevation with those "stage divers" or whatever he called them has got to be one of the cheesiest things they've ever done.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,493
    I thought that was one of the best shot live shows I've scene factoring in all that's going on during the show. The direction was superb. Having seen it live it really captured a lot of the same feelings of being there (as best as it possibly could I guess) without missing all that goes on with the screens and lightning.

Jesse Hughes strutting the catwalk was one of the greatest sights I've seen in a while. The crowd going nuts. All that happened 3 weeks ago. It gave me fucking chills.
  • Options
    U2 did a great job in Paris.
    Two thumps up for them for showing guts and coming back to Paris so soon after the terror attacks.
    Friends from Paris said to me it meant a lot to them that U2 came back and stood by the side of the frensh people.
    One friend who was there both nights said it was really emotional and touching, but also a celebration of live.
  • Options

U2 did a great job in Paris.
    Two thumps up for them for showing guts and coming back to Paris so soon after the terror attacks.
    Friends from Paris said to me it meant a lot to them that U2 came back and stood by the side of the frensh people.
    One friend who was there both nights said it was really emotional and touching, but also a celebration of live.

Who doesn't like this is a complete fool; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6y_leyy_X8
  • Options
    didnt listen to too many shows this year but when they closed with bad and 40 at earlier shows i thought thats pretty spot on
  • Options
    bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    I'm a bit sad the tour is now over, but there will probably be more shows, at least I hope so.
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
  • Options
    bluegrace said:

I'm a bit sad the tour is now over, but there will probably be more shows, at least I hope so.

overall i thought they had a great tour and cd. loved the stage/lights/screen this time around
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,944
    I want them to finish Songs of Experience now.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I want them to finish Songs of Experience now.

Oh, is that an actual plan?? I didn't even realize that they'd taken the concept of Songs of Innocence from the Blake poems. I thought that was just a coincidence!
  • Options

bluegrace said:

overall i thought they had a great tour and cd. loved the stage/lights/screen this time around
    Great tour. Only the setlist variaton was a bit meh, but we are used to PJ.
  • Options
    word on the street is more u2 in 2016. love their newest cd so much. iloveyoutube
    U2 Full Concert Paris HBO U2ieTour.
    Iris starts at 17:25
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI9_JJ2IAO4

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Such a great band - one of just a couple that I own all their catalog.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    i renewed my fan club membership today
    they offer the best annual membership gifts EVER
    can't wait to see what they do this summer
    absolutely still LOVE the new cd. best since elevation IMO
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/the-edge-breaks-down-u2s-upcoming-joshua-tree-tour-w459473

"this year they're going to finally look back by taking their 1987 masterpiece The Joshua Tree on tour in stadiums across America and Europe in honor of the album's 30th anniversary."

:smiley:
  • Options
    My wife is a huge U2 fan, but not the type of person who would join a fan club. (That's my job!) She loves Joshua Tree and we'll be catching this for sure. Would getting in the second round of presale be worth the $50 and avoiding the public onsale?

If anyone has a presale code they'd part with we'd be forever grateful!
  • Options

My wife is a huge U2 fan, but not the type of person who would join a fan club. (That's my job!) She loves Joshua Tree and we'll be catching this for sure. Would getting in the second round of presale be worth the $50 and avoiding the public onsale?

I doubt they have a system where you can just give away a paid member presale code. If they did that, there would be almost no point in buying a membership! ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I doubt they have a system where you can just give away a paid member presale code. If they did that, there would be almost no point in buying a membership! ;)
    All the codes are unique... one time use codes. You are correct.
    "My brain's a good brain!"