Options

Chris Robinson Brotherhood

Comments

• Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Hit the Tulsa show at Cain's Ballroom the other night. The place was packed. I mean packed. This was the biggest crowd I have seen for this band so far. And of course they didn't disappoint. I haven't seen them live since last year and they have only gotten tighter as time has gone on.

- Set One -
    Lets Go Lets Go
    Tomorrow Blues
    Reflections On A Broken Mirror
    Tough Mama
    Little Lizzie Mae
    Appaloosa
    Althea
    Star Or Stone
    Blue Suede Shoes

- Set Two -
    Saturday Night In Oak Grove
    Tulsa Yesterday
    Sunday Sound
    100 Days Of Rain
    Never Been To Spain
    Vibration And Light Suite
    Ride
    Rosalee
    - encore -
    Tumbleweed In Eden
    Mr. Charlie

Show was 3.5 hours. For $17!!! Don't miss this show. You just can't beat it.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    JK_Livin wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up....ordered and can't wait! :D
  • Options
    wpg pearlwpg pearl Posts: 1,258
    nice......gonna order the vinyl
    ajb
  • Options
    SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    JK_Livin wrote:

A little disappointed in the track listing. Don't really want the ol' Crowes songs on there even if CR did write them. What about Badlands Here We Come? That song kicks ass and I'm pretty sure is a Brotherhood original.
  • Options
    magic bus <3
    "I'm not present, I'm a drug that makes you dream"
  • Options
    Saw them play Birmingham last nite. They've got a vibe going that's unlike anything else out there IMHO. Even played a cover of Bertha :D . The interplay b/t Neil and Chris is intergalactically good. Neil is a monster on guitar and CR, while not as adroit, is equally soulful in the sounds he pulls out of his six string. It's been a good week of tunes having seen two of my most favorites, PJ and now CR, in the same week. Interesting comparing the two scenes....I'll take a small intimate family-style gig over a massive festival any day of the week. Makes me excited for the eV solo shows. I hope PJ at some point tours smallish venues...may be hard to score tix but would be aural bliss for those present.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    How's the new album? Need to pick it up, just wasn't that impressed with the last one. I love guitar jams, but I felt like alot of it was just mindless noodling. Sure it would be great live, but I think for a studio album it gets a little tedious. Don't think it plays too well to CR's strengths. The songs seemed like reasons to jam and I don't feel like they really go anywhere. For me if a song is gonna be over 5 minutes long it's needs more movement, and I've always thought of CR as a song first kinda writer with his best stuff. I much prefer his first 2 solo efforts from the first hiatus.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    How's the new album? Need to pick it up, just wasn't that impressed with the last one. I love guitar jams, but I felt like alot of it was just mindless noodling. Sure it would be great live, but I think for a studio album it gets a little tedious. Don't think it plays too well to CR's strengths. The songs seemed like reasons to jam and I don't feel like they really go anywhere. For me if a song is gonna be over 5 minutes long it's needs more movement, and I've always thought of CR as a song first kinda writer with his best stuff. I much prefer his first 2 solo efforts from the first hiatus.

The new album, The Magic Door, IMHO is smokin'. It's an excellent companion piece the FMR and a wee mellower. If you didn't like FMR this record is probably not for you. While we agree that CR is a good songwriter, CRB seems to be more focused on the feeling, the jam and ability of the song to take you places. The lyrics are even more straightforward than some of The New Earth Mud stuff but the main emphasis seems to be on the greater song as a musical piece. CRB's style is not designed to fit into a five minute song....I think that's one of the main points of who they are as a band.

I respectfully disagree that the first album doesn't play to CR's strengths....methinks it's in his wheelhouse. He's a hippy at heart (heck, last night he wore high-top, lace-up moccasins) and this style music is an extension and good representation of who he is. The music doesn't get as overtly funky as say 'Horsehead', but it's still super soulful stuff that affords him room to put his spin on R&B/blues.

The new album has both the song in 'Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go' and the jam in the 'Vibration & Light Suite'. They're a jam band no doubt, and their sound is deeply informed by the Dead, but they've managed to find a groove that's unique and original. Chris has really come into his own as a guitarist and I think that's a quality he's trying to express in this new format.
  • Options
    SnakeduckSnakeduck Posts: 1,056
    jjflash wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

The new album, The Magic Door, IMHO is smokin'. It's an excellent companion piece the FMR and a wee mellower. If you didn't like FMR this record is probably not for you. While we agree that CR is a good songwriter, CRB seems to be more focused on the feeling, the jam and ability of the song to take you places. The lyrics are even more straightforward than some of The New Earth Mud stuff but the main emphasis seems to be on the greater song as a musical piece. CRB's style is not designed to fit into a five minute song....I think that's one of the main points of who they are as a band.

I respectfully disagree that the first album doesn't play to CR's strengths....methinks it's in his wheelhouse. He's a hippy at heart (heck, last night he wore high-top, lace-up moccasins) and this style music is an extension and good representation of who he is. The music doesn't get as overtly funky as say 'Horsehead', but it's still super soulful stuff that affords him room to put his spin on R&B/blues.

The new album has both the song in 'Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go' and the jam in the 'Vibration & Light Suite'. They're a jam band no doubt, and their sound is deeply informed by the Dead, but they've managed to find a groove that's unique and original. Chris has really come into his own as a guitarist and I think that's a quality he's trying to express in this new format.

Word!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    saw the Houston show on Sept 22. Great show in a very small venue. Ran into Chris Robinson before the show, and shook his hand, and told him I was looking forward to seeing this band, and he was like "right on man." 8-) was alot nicer, than he appears to be with the Black Crowes. Only thing he really got upset about was people snapping pix with cellphones. They played the studio room in warehouse live, so it was like watching a band in your living room. fave song had to be "beware, oh Take care", "Rosalee", I an't hiding, and driving wheel". Bummed we didn't get "Appaloosa" but that's ok. really like what they did to it. Has a country like twang to it, as opposed to the Crowes version, but like the crowes version better still.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    CRB has an upcoming mini-tour :bz . Hopefully more dates will follow.

Tour Dates

04.12.2014 Live Oak Florida Spirit of the Suwannee On-Sale
    04.13.2014 Tampa Florida The Ritz Ybor On-Sale
    04.18.2014 Winston-Salem NC Ziggy's On-Sale
    04.19.2014 Wilmington NC Ziggy's By the Sea On-Sale
    04.20.2014 Atlanta Georgia Sweetwater 420 Festival On-Sale
    06.08.2014 Hunter New York Mountain Jam Festival On-Sale
    06.15.2014 Snowmass Colorado Snowmass Mammoth Festival On-Sale
    09.11.2014 - 09.14.2014 Danville, IL Phases of the Moon Music + Art Festival On-Sale Feb 10
  • Options
    The CHRIS ROBINSON BROTHERHOOD are set to unveil their third studio album PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST on April 29 via Silver Arrow Records. The band--Chris Robinson (lead vocals, guitar), Neal Casal (guitar, vocals), Adam MacDougall (keys, vocals), George Sluppick (drums) and Mark Dutton (bass, vocals)--will also hit the road in conjunction with the album's release. The tour officially starts April 29 at Terrapin Crossroads in San Rafael, CA with dates confirmed into late May (and more to be announced).

PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST is a treasure trove of 10 songs--including several the band road-tested over the last few years--that advances the band's kaleidoscopic sound, which is deeply soulful, rootsy and spacey all at once. There's strong songcraft here, with a free-flowing delivery; it is music that is in no hurry to reach its destination but firmly knows where it is going. From the beginning, the CRB set out to do something different from what they had done before, creating their own scene with a musical prowess, cohesive songwriting and a unified commitment to experimentation, both in the studio and on the road (they've performed over 230 shows since forming in 2011).

"The best perspective I have on what's going on in my life--good and bad--is what comes out in the songs," says Chris Robinson. "As you move on in time, you get older, you have relationships. Some of them are good, some fail. Friends. Drugs. Life. Death. People come, people go. Songwriting is a completely different emotional response to your life and to what it means, to in some poetic nature, put it out there."

PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST follows the release of the companion albums Big Moon Ritual (June 2012) and The Magic Door (September 2012) plus last year's live quadruple vinyl Betty's S.F. Blends, Vol 1. The group continues to record with producer Thom Monahan, and Robinson wrote all of the songs with Casal, save for two that are Robinson solo compositions ("Tornado," "Jump The Turnstiles").

"We're really going by the electricity and the vibrations that we can sort of tune in to," Robinson recently told Relix magazine (Jan/Feb '14). "There's a psychedelic component to it. That's part of the greasing the wheels of the great cosmic engine, with psychedelic thought and philosophy and action. If you get my drift." He went on to talk about the more rock and roll feel on PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST, and his overall vision for the Brotherhood: "I'm not going to have hit records. I don't write pop songs. But then again, I find a deep need to express myself and how I'm feeling and where I am and where I've been and where I'm going by writing songs. Why change something to make it easier for anyone else, when I think if we stay sincere and keep our energies in a real creative place, then people will wander into our small community, and it maybe would get more popular…to tend that garden is a great responsibility. But I want it to grow." Check out the whole Relix feature here.

Rolling Stone editor David Fricke picked the CHRIS ROBINSON BROTHERHOOD as one of his favorites of 2012, and praised their live performance in New York City, saying "…the singer's acid-country Brotherhood, with ex-Ryan Adams guitarist Neal Casal, were a sublime time onstage and across these two albums, recorded at the same sessions and issued six months apart. The Irving Plaza show was a characteristic live high. In the second set, Robinson steered out of a rattling ‘Tough Mama,' from Bob Dylan's Planet Waves, into the long reverie ‘Girl on the Mountain,' a song from an earlier side trip, New Earth Mud, given fresh air and a new coat of DayGlo paint (1/30/13)."

Track listing for PHOSPHORESCENT HARVEST:
    1. Shore Power
    2. About a Stranger
    3. Meanwhile In The Gods....
    4. Badlands Here We Come
    5. Clear Blue Sky & The Good Doctor
    6. Beggar's Moon
    7. Wanderer's Lament
    8. Tornado
    9. Jump The Turnstiles
    10. Burn Slow
    11. Humboldt Windchimes (bonus track on CD only)

http://chrisrobinsonbrotherhood.com/2014/news1.html :D:)>- 8-X
  • Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Los Pollos Hermanos Posts: 4,957
    All right, all right, all right!

...still miss The Crowes though
  • Options
    CRB to release Betty's Blends Vol. 2 "The Best From The West" in early May via Silver Arrow Records & Tapes. Woot! :)
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    jjflash wrote: »
    CRB to release Betty's Blends Vol. 2 "The Best From The West" in early May via Silver Arrow Records & Tapes. Woot! :)

I still need Betty's Blends Vol. 1. Thanks for the heads up!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Thanks for breaking up the Crowes, Chris :angry:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    imalive wrote: »

I know right? What a dick!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    imalive wrote: »

I know right? What a dick!

love the guy but seems so.....

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,402
    I saw the CRB this past week in Minneapolis. Fantastic. Chris seemed to be enjoying himself and very appreciative of the crowd, unlike the last time I saw the Crowes. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to see them again.

Yes it kinda sucks that the Crowes are done, and Chris seems to come off as kind of a dick about, but maybe it's for the best.
  • Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    going to see them at a small venue in philly in two weeks. looking forward to it
  • Options
    for those who have hit shows on this tour, what time have they hit the stage? show on sunday is at 8...no opening band.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited February 2015
    Anyone need a ticket for tonight's NYC show? I have one that I'm not going to use, will sell to you for face ($35) or best offer below face (will take anything really!). Will transfer via TM.

PM if interested!
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

Anyone need a ticket for tonight's NYC show? I have one that I'm not going to use, will sell to you for face ($35) or best offer below face (will take anything really!). Will transfer via TM.

PM if interested!

hope-you-enjoy-the-show-bump :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Playing on the beach at the famous Stone Pony in Asbury Park this Tuesday. Cannot wait...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It might be time to get my eyes checked. I thought for sure this thread title was...
    Chris Robinson Bobblehead
    :rofl:
  • Options
    The Fixer said:

Playing on the beach at the famous Stone Pony in Asbury Park this Tuesday. Cannot wait...

These guys are so damn good live. The Stone Pony show kicked ass!
  • Options
    I'm watching freak n roll. damn CR for beaking up tne crowes :rage:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    apropos of my post above.....goddam, Rich has some beautiful guitars.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16