Options

Silverchair - Young Modern

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,711
    Olivavu wrote:
    I saw them at Reading 1999. I wish I'd seen them in 2002/3.

saw that also - they were quality that day
  • Options
    OlivavuOlivavu England Posts: 1,683
    B-Rock wrote:
    Olivavu wrote:
    If You Keep Losing Sleep is terrible.

This album is comfortably their worst for me.

If you keep losing sleep is an amazing track to me. The song is so crazy and creative. The vocals in the second verse always get me.

I actually think that Frogstomp is their worst album and I struggle to listen to it, especially after you listen to Diorama and Neon Ballroom

I really don't like it. Just sounds messy and poor to me.

'Tuna In The Brine' is a creative masterpiece for me. As is 'Diorama'.
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    B-Rock wrote:
    Olivavu wrote:
    If You Keep Losing Sleep is terrible.

This album is comfortably their worst for me.

If you keep losing sleep is an amazing track to me. The song is so crazy and creative. The vocals in the second verse always get me.

I actually think that Frogstomp is their worst album and I struggle to listen to it, especially after you listen to Diorama and Neon Ballroom

I really don't like it. Just sounds messy and poor to me.

'Tuna In The Brine' is a creative masterpiece for me. As is 'Diorama'.

Point of View off Neon Ballroom was always my favorite after Frogstomp for some reason. It's musically pleasing to me for some unknown reason. I agree with Frogstomp being worst.

I'd say Diorama and Young Modern are my favorites. I can listen to Young Modern from start to finish without skipping songs and Waiting All Day is a masterpiece to me for reasons I can't explain.
    05/19/06 Grand Rapids, MI
    05/07/10 Noblesville, IN
    09/03/11 Alpine Valley, WI
    09/04/11 Alpine Valley, WI
  • Options
    listening to a bunch of silverchair today. More impressive to me than rocking frogstomp at 15 years old is the fact that Daniel Johns wrote Neon Ballroom at 19 years old and Diorama at 21/22. The arrangements and compositions are just mind blowing. Progressively, Diorama definitively is on course with Neon Ballroom as a huge next step. Miss this band a lot!!
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    I saw them at Reading in '95 when they were about 15, sure it was all pretty generic stuff, but for 15 it was damn impressive.

I really should give more of their stuff a listen, there are a handful of songs I know and really like, but I'm sure they have many more.
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    Brisk. wrote:
    Frogstomp (1995) - BRILLIANT!
    Freak Show (1997) - GOOD
    Neon Ballroom (1999) - Better than Freak Show
    Diorama (2002) - SHIT
    Young Modern (2007) - TOTALLY SHIT

Totally the opposite for me, I used to love early Silverchair but much prefer their new direction these days. IMO Diorama is a great album, not a bad song on it!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I saw them at Reading in '95 when they were about 15, sure it was all pretty generic stuff, but for 15 it was damn impressive.

I really should give more of their stuff a listen, there are a handful of songs I know and really like, but I'm sure they have many more.

You definitely need to check out Diorama, as someone else said its a masterpiece from start to finish. Neon Ballroom and Young Modern would be next for me. Go for Frogstomp and Diorama if you're into the more grunge rock thang, this isn't slating those albums, I actually like them too, just prefer the newer stuff these days which is rare!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Silverchair, best Aussie band everrrrrr.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    This threads had some legs it appears

Young Modern is a really good album, but I'll always prefer Frogstomp and Freak Show
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    Diorama
    Neon Ballroom
    Frogstomp
    Freak Show
    Young Modern

That is my order of snazziness.
  • Options
    CTD10CTD10 Posts: 351
    I would have to go with this order

1.Neon Ballroom
    2.Freakshow ( I listened to this album so much when I was younger)
    3. Diorama
    4. Young Modern
    5. Frogstomp

Dont get me wrong even though young modern is fourth I still love it alot.
    ctd
  • Options
    I contemplate my order quite a bit with Diorama usually ending up # 1. Usually because of this...

More impressive to me than rocking frogstomp at 15 years old is the fact that Daniel Johns wrote Neon Ballroom at 19 years old and Diorama at 21/22. The composition, arrangements and writing behind it is just astounding.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    They were still playing 'Freak' and 'Israel's Son' until their most recent shows in 2010.

I'd be happy if they just did the whole of 'Diorama'.
  • Options
    Olivavu wrote:
    1 - Diorama
    2 - Neon Ballroom
    3 - Frogstomp
    4 - Freak Show
    5 - Young Modern

I've just posted in the other Silverchair thread a different order, so it shows how time changes things!

Young Modern is still fifth though! :lol:
  • Options
    Did anyone hear Daniels new solo track?

if you didn't, save yourself 3 minutes 36 of your life and go and play in some puddles outside instead.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    pdalowsky wrote: »
    Did anyone hear Daniels new solo track?

if you didn't, save yourself 3 minutes 36 of your life and go and play in some puddles outside instead.

Thanks wtf happened to this guy i almost subscribed to his website to get the new tune .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Whilst his new song is nothing like anything he did with the Chair, I didn't mind it. I do like a fair range of music and have always enjoyed his voice. I know I will be in the minority of Chair fans who enjoy this new work, I think
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    Your taste is much broader than mine

I heard this and instantly wanted to erase it from My memory

Terrible
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Loved Young Modern. The new track is not that difficult to understand if you really listened to that record. Good for him for exploring new horizons. That early sound they had could only continue for so long before they became like Nickleback.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Yeah .... I don't follow that at all. Israels son was absolutely nothing like nickleback nor was madman or in fact anything off frog stomp

I don't really understand your point there unless they would all sound the same which is to me a pointless theory. Most bands don't leave their genre and yet still leave a great musical legacy. Let's looks at rem, RATM, SOAD, slipknot, gaslight, etc etc ... Whilst the sounds have evolved they didn't at any point ever leave their original genre and 'bracket'. I don't believe any of them became nickleback.

Silverchair evolved pretty well from the debut to diorama ... I would hardly say they stayed still. I guess what I'm saying is I haven't a clue what your point is or was.

Yet ditching your rock talent and history to release a piss poor rnb timberlake rip off is more than a little eyebrow raising and judging by the online reaction I'm not entirely alone ....he's succeeded very nicely in alienating a massive fanbase. But then if you can make money producing something bland and generic for the radio masses and earn a ton of cash whilst its played as background music for years to come then why ever not.

Paul mac IMO has a lot to answer for ;)
  • Options
    Allow me to clarify. I'm not saying their first record was like Nickleback. I was saying they released dynamic new stuff to avoid releasing the same kind of record over and over, like Nickleback. Not a stylistic comparison by any means.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I gotta agree with Paul on this subject. It's one thing to expand your horizons and experiment, but it's another if that experimentation sounds like shit.

I was a really big Silverchair fan and then Daniel got a bit too holier-than-thou about it. No one would even know who they are if Diorama was their first album.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,287
    This track is to Silverchair what Chris Cornell's 'Scream' was to Soundgarden. Maybe that means we'll see a King-Animal-style reunion for Silverchair in a few years...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    goldrush wrote: »
    This track is to Silverchair what Chris Cornell's 'Scream' was to Soundgarden. Maybe that means we'll see a King-Animal-style reunion for Silverchair in a few years...

lets hope you are right, but honestly I doubt it. Chris Cornell never belittled his earlier work, and I imagine remained proud of each chapter. The same cannot be said of Daniel

And with the new track sounding like just the kind of crap the radio loves these days it'll probably be a mass hit destined for supermarket speakers and dance remixes for years to come.
  • Options
    Allow me to clarify. I'm not saying their first record was like Nickleback. I was saying they released dynamic new stuff to avoid releasing the same kind of record over and over, like Nickleback. Not a stylistic comparison by any means.

I still don't understand, Silverchair evolved pretty solidly within the rock bracket throughout their careers, always within the same genre, pretty much like the majority of bands do. This solo effort is just baffling however to a fan who has enjoyed pretty much everything he has made, of course its his right to do so, and I would hope he continues to experience success. I accepted a long time ago Silverchair are long gone, much in the way I did Powderfinger also..... At least Fannings solo record wasn't a terrible departure.
  • Options
    Fair enough. Guess I'm not explaining myself all that well. Carry on....
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    Ariel Love proves Daniel Johns has huge balls
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    Soooooo what just happened?!