Options

Silverchair - Young Modern

WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
edited June 2013 in Other Music
Anybody heard this album? It came out a few years back. i bought it then, played the shit out of it for like a year. Put it away for a while. Last night on my drive home I popped it in and it was just as refreshing as the first time i heard it.

I really like where Silverchair is going with their style.....very unique sound. IMO, their best album...yeah, even Frogstomp.

What do you think? Any Silverchair fans on here?
RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    im australian.. its in our constitution.. we have to like silverchair. ;)8-)

i think daniel johns is brilliant. not afraid to take chances. its been a pleasure to watch them grow from children to men.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Frogstomp (1995) - BRILLIANT!
    Freak Show (1997) - GOOD
    Neon Ballroom (1999) - Better than Freak Show
    Diorama (2002) - SHIT
    Young Modern (2007) - TOTALLY SHIT
  • Options
    KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    I lost track of Silverchair after "Neon Ballroom" came out... I wasn't really into the new direction they were going! I have all their albums though, but I favor the first 3. I'll have to give "Young Modern" another listen, because honestly I didn't give it a chance... I thought they broke up though, are they still together?
  • Options
    I saw Silverchair at the Reading Festival back in '95, I think they were 15, I was about a year younger - can't believe how long ago that was now!

I remember being pretty underwhelmed by their last record, I did quite like the single Straight Lines though. Might have to give it another listen.
  • Options
    I like YM because it's so diverse. There are a few tracks on it that seem like 6 completely different songs put together, and it works. It's just a fun album. Although at times the lyrical content is hard to keep up with (kind of like another guy i know ;) ) they're definitely thought provoking.

The dude's got range.
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    Frogstomp was an album i grew up with so i'll always love that one. Freak show was good musically but the album may have the worst lyrics ever.

Diorama and Young Modern are interesting enough albums but not what i got into Silverchair for in the first place. Didn't really want to take that trip with this band.

I still do think the direction they went is impressive though.
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    Frogstomp ruled (loved Israel's Son & Pure massacre). I liked Neon Ballroom. Freak Show was ok. Only have a handful of songs off their last two albums. When I first heard "Straight Lines" I had no idea it was them, sounded nothing like them, but I dug it.

They should have a new album out soon, right?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I don't think there's a bad song on Young Modern
  • Options
    Red_DotRed_Dot Posts: 1,454
    Young Modern took me a while to get into. Diorama I just LOVE, I always liked Silverchair but this album just blew me away and got me really interested in music. Daniel is a very clever boy.
    Take me for a ride before we leave...
  • Options
    No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Red_Dot wrote:
    Young Modern took me a while to get into. Diorama I just LOVE, I always liked Silverchair but this album just blew me away and got me really interested in music. Daniel is a very clever boy.

I have been into The Chair since Tomorrow Ep days, and whilst I love Frogstomp, Diorama and Young Modern are brilliant. Certainly nothing like their earlier stuff, but most teenagers chnage their musical taste with time..and they were 14 when they started. So it's completely understandable that they sound nothing like they did on Frogstomp. It's also understandable they some fans don't like the new direction.
    My only gripe is that they don't play anything off Frogstomp and only 1 or 2 off Freak in concert. Without Frogstomp, they may never have had the chance to make other albums, so give the fans (the ones paying the money) what they want ...and they want to hear Tomorrow, Pure Massacre, Israel's Son and others. You don't have to play them every night, just occasionally.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,713
    No Coder wrote:
    Red_Dot wrote:

I have been into The Chair since Tomorrow Ep days, and whilst I love Frogstomp, Diorama and Young Modern are brilliant. Certainly nothing like their earlier stuff, but most teenagers chnage their musical taste with time..and they were 14 when they started. So it's completely understandable that they sound nothing like they did on Frogstomp. It's also understandable they some fans don't like the new direction.
    My only gripe is that they don't play anything off Frogstomp and only 1 or 2 off Freak in concert. Without Frogstomp, they may never have had the chance to make other albums, so give the fans (the ones paying the money) what they want ...and they want to hear Tomorrow, Pure Massacre, Israel's Son and others. You don't have to play them every night, just occasionally.

perfectly put....when i saw them 2 years ago in manchester...Daniel started the first chords of tomorrow...stopped and said something like 'dont be fucking silly'....the crowd were going nuts for it

Frogstomp remains a class record
  • Options
    I'm a huge silverchair fan. Daniel Johns is one of the better talents in the world in my opinion. Young Modern is a great record. Reflections of a Sound being my fav. Actually straight lines did very well in the US. One of their better successes in years. On of my fav records ever is Diorama. I think its masterpeice.

They played a few new songs on a recent tour and said they were going to be on a the new record. I aslo heard they were going in more a more experimental direction where many of the tracks do not even have guitars. Not sure how I feel about that if it happens
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    B-RockB-Rock Posts: 149
    Am a huge Silverchair fan!

Neon Ballroom + Diorama are the most amazing albums and Young Modern is so underrated. Daniel is such a genius songwriter, tracks like If you keep losing sleep and Insomnia are amazing.

I actually think Frogstomp is the worst record, i dont really like the production on it and they weren't the best players back then either.
    Sydney 8-11-06, 18-11-06; Melbourne 20-11-09, Sydney 22-11-09, Manchester 20-06-12, 21-06-12
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    No Coder wrote:
    Red_Dot wrote:

perfectly put....when i saw them 2 years ago in manchester...Daniel started the first chords of tomorrow...stopped and said something like 'dont be fucking silly'....the crowd were going nuts for it

Frogstomp remains a class record

Eddie Vedder used to be that way with Alive and some other tunes too. But they came back to it.

I would assume the same for Silverchair. Right now they're tired of the faded glory and want to be celebrated for what they are creating now, as it is more in line with who they are as people and musicians than their earlier music.

I was in a band when i was younger. I thought the songs were great. They still might be good to some people but the attitudes and thoughts on those songs are not inline with my current beliefs and attitudes so I don't care to express myself that way anymore.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    holy shit this album brings back memories. i got it the day before i started my freshman year of college. i remember blasting straight lines in my dorm room while everyone else was blasting lil john haha.
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    edited February 2011
    Brisk. wrote:
    Freak Show (1997) - GOOD
    Diorama (2002) - SHIT

:D:D:D spot on Ed, Spot on! :D:D:D

Daniel Johns sounds a shit load better when he is angry! this soft poppy shit is rubbish
    Post edited by vedder_soup on
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Just solved my " what to listen to on the way to work" dilemma for tomorrow! Young Modern is fucking brilliant. Love the new direction. Diorama is also really great IMO. They couldn't keep making Frogstomp over and over again.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    Brisk. wrote:
    Freak Show (1997) - GOOD
    Diorama (2002) - SHIT

Daniel Johns sounds a shit load better when he is angry! this soft poppy shit is rubbish

disagreed... i would go the opposite. the grunge songs are crap.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    vedder_soupvedder_soup Posts: 5,859
    Zoso wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:
    Freak Show (1997) - GOOD
    Diorama (2002) - SHIT

disagreed... i would go the opposite. the grunge songs are crap.

each to their own 8-)
    2003 - Sydney x3,
    2006 - Reading Festival,
    2007 - Katowice, London, Nijmegen, Rock Werchter,
    2008 - MSG x2, Hartford, Mansfield x2, Beacon Theater,
    2009 - Melbourne, Sydney,
    2010 - I watched it go to fire!
    2011 - EV Brisbane x3, Newcastle, Sydney x3,
    2012 - Manchester x 2, Amsterdam x2, Prague, Berlin x2, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen,
    2014 - Sydney, EV Sydney x3

I wave to all my Friends... Yeah!
  • Options
    Young Modern is fucking brilliant.

+1
  • Options
    They played a few new songs on a recent tour and said they were going to be on a the new record. I aslo heard they were going in more a more experimental direction where many of the tracks do not even have guitars. Not sure how I feel about that if it happens

Probably looking to meld the sounds of Silverchair with his former side project, Disassociatives (which started as I Can't Believe it's Not Rock), which was super experimental with no guitars. I wasn't into that project at all. Ben Gillies' Tambalane project was a fun listen though!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options

Probably looking to meld the sounds of Silverchair with his former side project, Disassociatives (which started as I Can't Believe it's Not Rock), which was super experimental with no guitars. I wasn't into that project at all. Ben Gillies' Tambalane project was a fun listen though!
    Yea I too have that record, as a whole note my fav though I love Somewhere Down the Barrel and Young Man, Old Man and maybe one other. Btw.....excuse my ignorance is this Shawn Smith from Brad here??
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options

Yea I too have that record, as a whole note my fav though I love Somewhere Down the Barrel and Young Man, Old Man and maybe one other. Btw.....excuse my ignorance is this Shawn Smith from Brad here??

I handle Shawn's site, but I'm not him. I think I've passed along a message or two to him that I saw you post here before.
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Options
    No Coder wrote:
    Red_Dot wrote:

I love this album. Originally was into them early on then forgot about them for a while. Then one day a few years back I heard "Straight Lines" on the radio and couldn't believe it was the same band that made Frogstomp. I picked up this album, then went backwards to Diorama which I also thought was a great album. Even going back to Neon Ballroom, there's some traces of the more grand scale stuff they would get into with "Emotion Sickness". Favorite song on Young Modern has to be "Those Thieving Birds..." really crazy track. Glad I have this album on my ipod, going to throw it on at work right now! :D

I have to admit though, if I saw them in concert I'd be pretty pissed if they didn't play any of their early stuff. At least "Tomorrow", "Israel's Son", "Pure Massacre", "Blind" for me would be ones I'd want to hear.
    "I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love."

Continental Arena I - 6/1/2006
    MSG II - 6/25/2008
    MSG I - 5/20/2010
    Beacon Theatre - 6/21/2011 (EV)
    Made In America Philadelphia - 9/2/2012
    Buffalo -10/12/2013
    Hartford - 10/25/2013
    Philadelphia II - 4/29/2016 (TEN show)
    MSG II - 5/2/2016
    Fenway II Boston - 8/7/2016
    Rock & Roll HOF - 4/7/2017
    Asbury Park, NJ - 9/18/2021
    MSG - 9/11/2022
    Camden - 9/14/2022
  • Options
    UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    I've been a fan since the Frogstomp days but prefer the 'new' sound, post Freak Show' these days. Diorama's my favourite album, but I love Young Modern too, Waiting All Day and Low are two of my faves
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    I've been a fan since the Frogstomp days but prefer the 'new' sound, post Freak Show' these days. Diorama's my favourite album, but I love Young Modern too, Waiting All Day and Low are two of my faves
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • Options
    I've been a fan since the Frogstomp days but prefer the 'new' sound, post Freak Show' these days. Diorama's my favourite album, but I love Young Modern too, Waiting All Day and Low are two of my faves, although Straight Lines is a great track too. I can't wait to hear what Daniel Johns comes up with next, he's a great talent.
    My PJ shows:
  • Options
    yep. still rocks. too bad they broke up though
  • Options
    moretonbayfigmoretonbayfig Australia Posts: 805
    WaveRyder wrote:

Broke up? I think they've just been quiet. http://www.chairpage.com

Diorama + tour is/was phenomenal. So pleased that other PJ fans are listening to silverchair :)
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:

Broke up? I think they've just been quiet. http://www.chairpage.com

Diorama + tour is/was phenomenal. So pleased that other PJ fans are listening to silverchair :)

i heard a DJ like months ago say they were done. i hope he was wrong.