Options

Bonnaroo 2008?

scottbirdscottbird Posts: 132
edited January 2008 in The Porch
So there are a lot of rumors saying PJ is gonna do bonnaroo 2008. Anyone know if there is truth to the rumors? Links perhaps? I think they would fit the Bonnaroo atmosphere very well.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    The only thing I heard was form this board. Some guy said Jeff spoke in their class and said PJ were playing Bonnaroo. Could be true, but who knows. Either way, PJ will likely play a pretty hit friendly set anyways, so I wouldn't get too excited.
  • Options
    I heard that as well but no proof. They played a pretty diverse set at Lolla 07 and Bonnaroo gives headliners alot of time, Like 2.5 hours. I think they would play lots of hit but plenty of rarities for big fans as well. The festival atmosphere was my favorite way to see PJ, so Bonnaroo wold be perfect.
  • Options
    scottbird wrote:
    So there are a lot of rumors saying PJ is gonna do bonnaroo 2008. Anyone know if there is truth to the rumors? Links perhaps? I think they would fit the Bonnaroo atmosphere very well.

http://www.bonnaroo.com

those people would know.

When they post the exact lineup, you'll know too.
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,007
    Bonnaroo- Saturday night

We should hear something around 2-1
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Yes but I'm too excited at the prospect of PJ at Bonnaroo to wait for the official announcement.
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    What about Coachella? Their line-up will be revealed tomorrow.

I posted this thread on the Coachella message board about why I thought Pearl Jam might be playing, although I have since backed off on that opinion (it's purely wishful thinking now):

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14089&highlight=pearl+jam
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    What about Coachella? Their line-up will be revealed tomorrow.

I posted this thread on the Coachella message board about why I thought Pearl Jam might be playing, although I have since backed off on that opinion (it's purely wishful thinking now):

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14089&highlight=pearl+jam
    I've heard the rumors about this as well. So they're announcing their line-up tomorrow? Maybe we'll see something in the "tour" section other an than old 2007 shows- thanks for the info. :)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Yes coachella will be announced tommorow but I'd prefer PJ in tennessee than Cali. Either festival would be a good fit for PJ but if they are both it makes it less special. At Lolla 07 you knew you were part of a singular american experience happening that wasnt going to be repeated a couple months later. It may sound weird but it adds to the vibe of the show.
  • Options
    anyone know what time they are announcing tomorrow?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    I think it's 2 pm central time.

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    I just found this at the Cochella site:

"Back again for 2008...Recycle your empties. Bring us 10 empty water bottles that you find laying around onsite camping and redeem them for 1 fresh full bottle of water. Help keep the campsite clean, Recycle and stay hydrated all at the same time. (no, you can't bring empty bottles from elsewhere to onsite camping)"

Very cool idea. Do all big festivals do this?
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    pearl jam plays bonaroo every year dont they? at least according to the rumors around this time
  • Options
    MrSmith wrote:
    pearl jam plays bonaroo every year dont they? at least according to the rumors around this time

yes...but curiously every year around this time the headliners are already known as well, this year nobody has a clue who will be there
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    Most festivals do have recycling programs and many ways to promote being "Green" also they employ volunteers to help with recycling. Im sure they have info on their sites if you are more interested.
  • Options
    I think it's 2 pm central time.
    thanks
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I have my fingers crossed on this one. I want to go to my first Bonnaroo. VIP please!
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    I have a strong feeling it will be Coachella. Plus it's only 3 hours from Phoenix, easily within driving distance.
    Let's see those 2013 dates in the southern states.
  • Options
    well we will know tommorow wether it will be coachella. How is coachella as a festival? never been to it but I have a connection for free tix, the problem is I live in NYC and I'm wondering if its worth the trip. I imagine its similar to Lolla with the curfews and heat and general atmospere.
  • Options
    I am the person here who was present when Jeff Ament spoke at the University of Montana.

Take it for what it's worth, but he DID say Pearl Jam was playing Bonaroo in 2008. I posted this information in October and everyone thought I was a fraud and my post was a hoax. Whether or not Pearl Jam ends up playing this show, I promise on my grandmother's grave that I heard it straight from the mouth of Mr. Ament.

Here's the thread:
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=262001
  • Options
    I am the person here who was present when Jeff Ament spoke at the University of Montana.

Take it for what it's worth, but he DID say Pearl Jam was playing Bonaroo in 2008. I posted this information in October and everyone thought I was a fraud and my post was a hoax. Whether or not Pearl Jam ends up playing this show, I promise on my grandmother's grave that I heard it straight from the mouth of Mr. Ament.

Here's the thread:
    I believed you and I truly believe that they WILL play roo!
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

• Options

Here's the thread:

Thats awesome, can you elaborate on how the topic of Bonnaroo came up when Jeff was talking? I think that is such a unique experience and I'd love to hear more about it.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    scottbird wrote:
    Thats awesome, can you elaborate on how the topic of Bonnaroo came up when Jeff was talking? I think that is such a unique experience and I'd love to hear more about it.

If memory serves, there is a detailed account of Jeff's appearance in the linked thread. It should completely answer the question you posed.

Here's to PJ @ Bonnaroo! :D

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    Red Lukin wrote:
    The only thing I heard was form this board. Some guy said Jeff spoke in their class and said PJ were playing Bonnaroo. Could be true, but who knows. Either way, PJ will likely play a pretty hit friendly set anyways, so I wouldn't get too excited.

Don't underestimate Bonnaroo as some typical festival. I've gone for the last two years and have never seen a congregation of great crowds, great performances, and great activities like Bonnaroo. When I saw Radiohead there in 2006 they played their longest set ever (Headliners technically get 4 hour slots) and still plan on releasing the show on DVD. Not to mention that a lot of PJ's buddies are regulars (My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon especially). I believe the guy who had Jeff in his class and am feeling really good about the chances of PJ playing this year and it being one of their best shows ever. There is a lot of potential for them to do all kinds of cool stuff throughout the weekend like acoustic sets, a solo Eddie set, and plenty of opportunity for guest slots. All of this and if this happens to be their only show in the South then they'll give those Southern PJ fans what they've been asking for all this time. Mark my words if PJ plays it will be epic...
    the sun has set, the sun will rise another day....
  • Options
    PegasusPegasus Posts: 3,754
    InThinAir wrote:
    Don't underestimate Bonnaroo as some typical festival. I've gone for the last two years and have never seen a congregation of great crowds, great performances, and great activities like Bonnaroo. When I saw Radiohead there in 2006 they played their longest set ever (Headliners technically get 4 hour slots) and still plan on releasing the show on DVD. Not to mention that a lot of PJ's buddies are regulars (My Morning Jacket and Kings of Leon especially). I believe the guy who had Jeff in his class and am feeling really good about the chances of PJ playing this year and it being one of their best shows ever. There is a lot of potential for them to do all kinds of cool stuff throughout the weekend like acoustic sets, a solo Eddie set, and plenty of opportunity for guest slots. All of this and if this happens to be their only show in the South then they'll give those Southern PJ fans what they've been asking for all this time. Mark my words if PJ plays it will be epic...
    oh dear..I'm getting bad Lollapalooza flashbacks..:rolleyes:

but I'm counting on Bonnaroo for my Live PJ fix this year..
  • Options
    Its true, Bonnaroo is, in my opinion, the best american festival. Also in my opinion if PJ is there this year it will be the best roo ever! Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    scottbird wrote:
    well we will know tommorow wether it will be coachella. How is coachella as a festival? never been to it but I have a connection for free tix, the problem is I live in NYC and I'm wondering if its worth the trip. I imagine its similar to Lolla with the curfews and heat and general atmospere.

Coachella is fucking badass. I'm not super familiar with Lolla, but I think there must be significant differences.

Essentially, Coachella is three days in the middle-of-nowhere (it's in Indio, which is in the middle of the desert). You can count on about 40 bands playing each day; there is a main stage, a smaller outdoor stage, and 3 or 4 tents where artists play all day. Obviously set times overlap, so if there are two artists you like playing at the same time, you have to choose which one you want to see.

One of the tents (the Sahara tent, I believe) is for electronic music...lots of good stuff goes on in there, but if that's not your thing, the other stages/tents host a variety of different types of music.

The venue is huge, and there are probably upwards of 80,000 people there each day. Many of them go to all 3 days of the festival and camp out in the adjacent campground overnight. I haven't done that myself, but it's supposedly a very cool experience.

The festival is actually titled a "music and arts" festival...although the music is emphasized, there are always a variety of very interesting, very modern, and very cool art exhibits that you can check out at any time during the day.

The lineup will be announced tomorrow, but there have been quite a few leaks. The best names so far (in my opinion) are Jack Johnson, a reunion of The Verve, Death Cab for Cutie, My Morning Jacket, the Raconteurs, and Portishead. The really big names are still unknown, however.

If you want to see a list of the (supposedly) confirmed acts so far, go here:

http://coachella.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13722

• Options
    Yeah I have the coachella DVD and Im way into that vibe, Been to Bonnaroo and Lolla and I want to add coachella to my list of festivals every year. Im a huge portishead fan and I know they are headlining saturday night, once the full lineup is out I'll make my descision.
  • Options
    Pegasus wrote:
    oh dear..I'm getting bad Lollapalooza flashbacks..:rolleyes:

but I'm counting on Bonnaroo for my Live PJ fix this year..

I too remember running to the kids stage after receiving a text that Ed was playing, though I can't complain about Jim James doing kids tunes on the banjo

BUT bonnaroo has a dedicated stage for solo sets and short acoustic sets, that has regularly scheduled sets from about noon til the sun goes
    looking for 2 to Columbia...

***GOT EM***
  • Options
    Well, it looks as though I may indeed be going to Bonnaroo this year. My In-Laws live very close and we are only an hour or so away..so...if they are indeed playing...consider me there!
    ~Changing the world...one person at a time~
    ~www.myspace.com/laurababy0105~
  • Options
    morockamorocka Posts: 26
    Much speculation and rumor on the bonnaroo boards about PJ being a headliner. It seems like they are a shoe in this year, timing is right and they have been hold-outs thus far. I would bet on them showing this year.

http://bonnaroo.proboards21.com/index.cgi
    "Give me the ringer dude,chop,chop!"