Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Spieth's scrambling ability and mental toughness rivals Tiger. What an unbelievable back nine. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    rivals who?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    too funny that the big wig presenting the trophy has the usual bad British teeth.

no offense, Brits :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    So formal too. How about some high fives on the way in.

Nice speech.

Then the photo session. :lol:
    #FHP
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    That took some brass balls. To make that 5 then go birdie (almost ace)-eagle-birdie-birdie. Insane

Absolutely gutted for Kuchar. That would have been a life changing win. So close
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    That took some brass balls. To make that 5 then go birdie (almost ace)-eagle-birdie-birdie. Insane

Absolutely gutted for Kuchar. That would have been a life changing win. So close
    That was incredible.  To make a 5 there and then finish that way....his putting was out of this world.

Oh man I wanted to cry for Kuchar...that was brutal.  That whole fiasco with Spieth's drop and him having to wait 15-20 mins between shots was just awful luck.  I still think he'll get one soon..
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I'll never understand the Spieth hate. To me it's refreshing to see a guy who doesn't consistently hit it 300+ yards still be able to dominate as much as he does. He's like the Greg Maddox of golf.
    Great comparison. 
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    bbiggs said:
    I'll never understand the Spieth hate. To me it's refreshing to see a guy who doesn't consistently hit it 300+ yards still be able to dominate as much as he does. He's like the Greg Maddox of golf.
    Great comparison. 
    I can't imagine the amount of focus needed to almost ace the next hole and then eagle the one after that after the 25 minute bogey. He's amazing.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    edited July 2017
    I am surprised there isn't a penalty for taking 30 minutes on a hole.  There should be.  

Any one of us would be kicked off a course taking 30 minutes to play a hole.  A shot so terrible that it creates 20 minutes of delay should have more than a 1 stroke penalty attached.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    I am surprised there isn't a penalty for taking 30 minutes on a hole.  There should be.  
    I agree with this.  I didn't want to note it in my original comments as I didn't want to come off as a complete Spieth hater, but I thought that situation was borderline unacceptable.  The groups in front played a hole and a half in the time it took for 1 shot.

Granted much of that had to do with rules officials figuring everything out, it seemed, but there is no way that should be allowed.  That was way too much time to figure it out.

It's not like the guy is a fast player as it is, though none of them really are
  • Options

Any one of us would be kicked off a course taking 30 minutes to play a hole.  A shot so terrible that it creates 20 minutes of delay should have more than a 1 stroke penalty attached.
    Imagine if they weren't the last group on the course....would have been a complete clusterfuck.  Spieth plays painfully slow in general and I know that was a wild situation, but that was ridiculous.  
  • Options
    It is never going to get better until a slow play penalty is given to a contender in a major.  
  • Options
    I agree with this.  I didn't want to note it in my original comments as I didn't want to come off as a complete Spieth hater, but I thought that situation was borderline unacceptable.  The groups in front played a hole and a half in the time it took for 1 shot.

Granted much of that had to do with rules officials figuring everything out, it seemed, but there is no way that should be allowed.  That was way too much time to figure it out.

It's not like the guy is a fast player as it is, though none of them really are

yeah, and if whatever happened on the next shot had happened to tiger, stevie williams would have taken the guy out. speith just stepped away from the ball and laughed.

you guys are haters :wink:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Ha.  I like Spieth.  Wanted him to win.

it just seemed like a lot of the bad shots aren't as penalizing for pros because they end up landing on trampled down rough where fans were standing, use grandstands as backstops, and get free drops to better their angle because a trailer might be in their way. 

Links golf though with no trees means you can hit it pretty wild.  
  • Options

it just seemed like a lot of the bad shots aren't as penalizing for pros because they end up landing on trampled down rough where fans were standing, use grandstands as backstops, and get free drops to better their angle because a trailer might be in their way. 

Remember this crap from last year?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/rules-officials-just-handed-dustin-johnson-the-luckiest-break-of-the-u-s-open

Come on now...
  • Options

it just seemed like a lot of the bad shots aren't as penalizing for pros because they end up landing on trampled down rough where fans were standing,
    this ^

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

Remember this crap from last year?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/06/rules-officials-just-handed-dustin-johnson-the-luckiest-break-of-the-u-s-open

Come on now...

Wow, never saw that. 
  • Options
    Still don't understand these silly rules.  His ball was on a mound with an unplayable lie.  Okay, why can't he just place the ball on the mound in a place where it isn't unplayable?  Or at the base of the mound instead of wasting so much time.  If you need to go 20 yards back then you hit a shitty shot and should get more than a one stroke penalty.  

Happy Jordan won but these rules are stupid.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    Still don't understand these silly rules.  His ball was on a mound with an unplayable lie.  Okay, why can't he just place the ball on the mound in a place where it isn't unplayable?  Or at the base of the mound instead of wasting so much time.  If you need to go 20 yards back then you hit a shitty shot and should get more than a one stroke penalty.  

I had a massive hangover on Sunday and was dozing in and out and then woke up to find him standing by one of the equipment trucks talking to some dude. I was just. a little bit confused to say the least. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

I had a massive hangover on Sunday and was dozing in and out and then woke up to find him standing by one of the equipment trucks talking to some dude. I was just. a little bit confused to say the least. 

And how the hell was the driving range where he dropped the ball not considered out of play???  That was all very strange.

If it were me hitting that shot, I 100% would have hit that Titleist truck that was to his left.
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,633

The penalty for doing so is one stroke. Your three options include going back to the point where you played your previous stroke, taking a drop within two club lengths, or moving straight back anywhere along an extension of a line between the flagstick and where your ball originally came to rest.

the practice area is probably deemed part of the course in a local rule
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    edited July 2017
    ed243421 said:

The penalty for doing so is one stroke. Your three options include going back to the point where you played your previous stroke, taking a drop within two club lengths, or moving straight back anywhere along an extension of a line between the flagstick and where your ball originally came to rest.

I understand it was completely part of the rules.  Any one of us who took 30 minutes on a hole would be kicked off the course.  HE could have dropped 1 yard behind where his ball landed (which is much closer to the "play as it lies" spirit), but he chose (within the rules) to go to the driving range. 

Anyway, they play at courses with no trees or water, so they can't get into much trouble. 

• Options
    ed243421 said:

I understand it was completely part of the rules.  Any one of us who took 30 minutes on a hole would be kicked off the course.  HE could have dropped 1 yard behind where his ball landed (which is much closer to the "play as it lies" spirit), but he chose (within the rules) to go to the driving range.

I'm sure if he was dicking around with some buddies at the muni course and not playing in golf's oldest major, he would have taken your advice.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    ed243421 said:

I'm sure if he was dicking around with some buddies at the muni course and not playing in golf's oldest major, he would have taken your advice.
    The hole took 30 minutes.  I am saying there is a problem with the rules.   30 minutes is proof.  
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    ed243421 said:

The hole took 30 minutes.  I am saying there is a problem with the rules.   30 minutes is proof.  

I hear ya. I don't think it could have happened if there were groups playing behind.

that said, I thought it was brilliant and he escaped with a 5. I was thinking 7-8.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    anyone hear a spectator scream at charlie hoffman on th 18th, if there are no rules in golf why play, well something to that effect.

Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    DJ fucking crushed this one...my god.  

Can't figure out how to embed a goddamn tweet so just have the link here...

Post edited by Indifference71 on
  • Options
    DJ fucking crushed this one...my god.  

Can't figure out how to embed a goddamn tweet so just have the link here...

AND HE LAID UP ON THE NEXT ONE!
  • Options
    A 74 for curry is pretty pretty impressive
  • Options
    Firestone blows