Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Had a putt for an eagle yesterday.  It was a short par 5 around 470....I crushed my 3 iron twice and got it to within about 15 feet.  First time I had a realistic chance for an eagle....Left the putt about 2 feet short.  Brutal!
    Ugh. Yeah, man.  Brutal to leave it short. I have had one realistic eagle putt a few years ago.  Drove the green on a short par 4 and had similar length putt.  Blew it past and ended up 3 putting...

Yeah it was a brutal green and the putt was straight uphill so I was just happy I got within a reasonable distance for the birdie.  Didn't want to blow past the hole, but leaving it short is the worst.  Oh well...hard to complain about a 2 foot birdie putt
    Yessir. Always a good feeling.  I think I had my second closest shot at an ace this past weekend.  Put it 3 feet short, directly on line.  Just a bit more and it was in.  In high school, I put one inside 6 inches.  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    These stories are great!  The only eagle I had was a par 4 and holed out from 150 yards out on a side hill lie.  Complete luck but I'll take it!
  • Options
    These stories are great!  The only eagle I had was a par 4 and holed out from 150 yards out on a side hill lie.  Complete luck but I'll take it!
    They are fun.

I feel like the 150 yard dunk is a lot of people's eagle story, not to take anything away from it. I don't think I have made anything over 75 yards. 

I really want an eagle. 

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    They are fun.

I feel like the 150 yard dunk is a lot of people's eagle story, not to take anything away from it. I don't think I have made anything over 75 yards. 

I really want an eagle. 

I've made a 120 yard dunk before.........for bogey. Doh!

Was still cool though
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    They are fun.

I really want an eagle. 

I've made a 120 yard dunk before.........for bogey. Doh!

Was still cool though
    ha.  Good times.  At least you can say you made a long one.
  • Options
    All set up for the President's Cup.  Airbnb all set in Jersey City.  Tickets for Friday and Saturday in hand.  Just gotta make some early tee times for us.
  • Options

Got a 6:30am tee time.  I love pulling up to the golf course when it is still somewhat dark and being that first one on the tee.  Love it!

• Options
    Anyone have a hard time convincing their father to hit off the senior tees? My dad's 67 and his arthritis is pretty bad. Can't hit it nearly as far as he used to and more often then not, stops playing after 12 or 13 holes now. I briefly brought up the senior tee last year and he quickly dismissed it. But I'm wanting to bring it up again because I feel bad for him and feel like this will prolong his playing golf as he gets older. Wish I got back into golf a lot longer than just a few years ago. Missed out on a lot of good times out there with him.

Wob---when did you make the decision to switch to the senior tees?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    My dad is 66 and now hits from the forward tees.   He doesn't hit very far either and for him I think he just realized it wasn't a lot of fun to play golf when you had trouble getting your second shot to the green.  

I would try to convince him there are multiple tees for a reason and that he would have more fun hitting mid irons on par 4 second shots than 5 woods or hybrids every hole.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    The wife got me a new set of Callaway irons for father's day.  Gotta get to the range this week and test them out.  Has anyone had their clubs lengthened?  I think I may take mine in somewhere to see if I could use some longer clubs.  I'm around 6'2 and my last set of clubs felt a little short....they were a shitty set so I didn't bother putting any money into them.

Very cool.  Hopefully the wife lets you out of the house to play golf too!

I'm your height.  When I got my new set I got fitted and ended up getting a quarter inch longer than standard set.  

I'm not sure about the return policy on clubs so if you are thinking about getting a longer set you might hold off on trying the new set out.   The cool thing though about fittings is that they'll look at optimizing the type of shaft to use in the club as well.

I finally went for a custom fitting today at the PGA Tour superstore that is near me (check it out if there's a location near you....they do a custom fitting for no charge).  They told me that I needed extra-stiff shaft irons.  I was hitting the 7 iron they had me testing out around 200 yards.  But then I looked at prices for extra stiff iron sets....holy shit!  The set my wife bought me was a regular shaft so I exchanged those for a stiff shaft set.  I'll see how these go and if I struggle with them maybe I'll upgrade to an extra stiff shaft but I just can't be dropping over a grand on a set of irons right now.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    The wife got me a new set of Callaway irons for father's day.  Gotta get to the range this week and test them out.  Has anyone had their clubs lengthened?  I think I may take mine in somewhere to see if I could use some longer clubs.  I'm around 6'2 and my last set of clubs felt a little short....they were a shitty set so I didn't bother putting any money into them.

I'm your height.  When I got my new set I got fitted and ended up getting a quarter inch longer than standard set.  

I'm not sure about the return policy on clubs so if you are thinking about getting a longer set you might hold off on trying the new set out.   The cool thing though about fittings is that they'll look at optimizing the type of shaft to use in the club as well.

I finally went for a custom fitting today at the PGA Tour superstore that is near me (check it out if there's a location near you....they do a custom fitting for no charge).  They told me that I needed extra-stiff shaft irons.  I was hitting the 7 iron they had me testing out around 200 yards.  But then I looked at prices for extra stiff iron sets....holy shit!  The set my wife bought me was a regular shaft so I exchanged those for a stiff shaft set.  I'll see how these go and if I struggle with them maybe I'll upgrade to an extra stiff shaft but I just can't be dropping over a grand on a set of irons right now.
    Damn I would love to hit my 7 iron 200 yards. It would be worth the $1000 investment!  I played today at Seven Bridges (for any local Chicagoans). Real nice course. 
  • Options
    Your Juggler was on the warpath today. Shot 87, one shot shy of my personal best. This is a tougher, links style course and I normally don't play as well in the sweltering heat. So, I am cautiously optimistic I've turned the corner. Playing a nice course down in OCMD next week. Can't wait.

Bootlegger-- good advice. I've kind of used that logic on him already. Playing with him next week so we'll see how it goes. Thanks for the input.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Nice start for Spieth.  Koepka too.  Conditions look pretty good so far today....supposed to be brutal weather the rest of the weekend with a lot of rain and wind.  Love this tournament.
  • Options
    Nice start for Spieth.  Koepka too.  Conditions look pretty good so far today....supposed to be brutal weather the rest of the weekend with a lot of rain and wind.  Love this tournament.
    Yessir.  Love this.  This course is awesome too.  Looking forward tomorrow.  Off on vacation this week and came back from the beach a couple days early as the wife had to get back for work.  Heading out for a quick solo 18 shortly and watching tons of golf.

Players keep saying how much they love this and how fair it is, I don't disagree, but any doubt if this were a USGA set up they would find a way to bitch about this fescue?  Definitely more cuts, but still not far off the fairway
  • Options
    Yessir.  Love this.  This course is awesome too.  Looking forward tomorrow.  Off on vacation this week and came back from the beach a couple days early as the wife had to get back for work.  Heading out for a quick solo 18 shortly and watching tons of golf.

Players keep saying how much they love this and how fair it is, I don't disagree, but any doubt if this were a USGA set up they would find a way to bitch about this fescue?  Definitely more cuts, but still not far off the fairway

Nice timing with the week off.  The wife is going out of town for the weekend so it's just me and the baby...will be nice to turn on the TV when and watch major golf when he wakes up at 6am.

Oh for sure there would be bitching if it were the USGA.

Rory a real mess out there again...seems like another waste of a season for him.  Everyone was all over Fleetwood but he shot a +6.  Glad I laid off of him in the bets I placed.  I took Scott, Kuchar, Grace and Casey to finish top 10.  Also have action on Casey and Kuchar to win.  And did a huge bet on no hole in 1 for the whole tournament.  
  • Options
    Put some money on Spieth, Thomas, and MAT.SUH.YA.MA.........so far so good. Also took Rory, oh well. 

If none of my guys win, I'd love to see Kuchar finally break through.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wow...Rory rallied on the back 9 and is only +1.  Was +6 at one point on the front....thought he was done for sure.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    edited July 2017

Whoa. You must have some serious swing speed if you need extra stiff shafts.
    What's your handicap?
  • Options
    eddiec said:

Whoa. You must have some serious swing speed if you need extra stiff shafts.
    What's your handicap?

I'm usually around the upper 90s when I play....not very good.  My swing is so inconsistent...not sure the investment in extra stiff shaft irons would be worth it at this point.  But every chart that I read says that I should have extra stiff shafts based on yardage.  I don't know what the hell to do.
  • Options
    Would love to see a replay from the British Open....but noooop, Golf Channel is showing LPGA instead. So annoying
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Would love to see a replay from the British Open....but noooop, Golf Channel is showing LPGA instead. So annoying

Damn the man! Stream it. 
    http://stream.golfchannel.com/index_golf-live-from.html?pid=33849
  • Options
    I got Hideki in my season pool. Then just a couple draft kings lineups that are pretty terrible 
  • Options

Nice timing with the week off.  The wife is going out of town for the weekend so it's just me and the baby...will be nice to turn on the TV when and watch major golf when he wakes up at 6am.

Rory a real mess out there again...seems like another waste of a season for him.  Everyone was all over Fleetwood but he shot a +6.  Glad I laid off of him in the bets I placed.  I took Scott, Kuchar, Grace and Casey to finish top 10.  Also have action on Casey and Kuchar to win.  And did a huge bet on no hole in 1 for the whole tournament.  
    Not sure I knew you had a kid. Congrats, man. Sounds like a solid weekend. 

I was loving Fleetwood too until the rest of the world did too. His odds and draft kings value were so bad.   

Kuchar always finishes top 10 and Casey has been awesome. Not bad bets

• Options
    gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    Wow scores are real high today.

• Options
    Kuchar in a real good spot going into the weekend.
  • Options

Not sure I knew you had a kid. Congrats, man. Sounds like a solid weekend. 

I was loving Fleetwood too until the rest of the world did too. His odds and draft kings value were so bad.   

Kuchar always finishes top 10 and Casey has been awesome. Not bad bets

Thanks man.  He's 7 months old already...time is flying.  Already starting to crawl.

Love Kuchar...really hope he wins.  Casey really stunk it up today.  Definitely expect Rory to be right there for the weekend...what a turnaround for him after being +6 at one point on the front 9 yesterday.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    a wee spot of rain, eh?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,478
    Anyone have a hard time convincing their father to hit off the senior tees? My dad's 67 and his arthritis is pretty bad. Can't hit it nearly as far as he used to and more often then not, stops playing after 12 or 13 holes now. I briefly brought up the senior tee last year and he quickly dismissed it. But I'm wanting to bring it up again because I feel bad for him and feel like this will prolong his playing golf as he gets older. Wish I got back into golf a lot longer than just a few years ago. Missed out on a lot of good times out there with him.

I think it was jack nicklaus (buckeye, BTW) who was part of the "play it forward" campaign. everyone should just hit from where they might realistically par the hole. working at a golf course, I see way to many hacks hitting shit shots from the blacks just because they want to be macho.

along those lines, I swear I waited 5 minutes for some dude to hit the other day. pratice swing times 3, stand over ball. back away, point club at hole, repeat 4 times....I wanted to say "JUST HIT THE FUCKING THING!!!!!!" so badly.

when he finally hit the ball, it wasn't for shit.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

I think it was jack nicklaus (buckeye, BTW) who was part of the "play it forward" campaign. everyone should just hit from where they might realistically par the hole. working at a golf course, I see way to many hacks hitting shit shots from the blacks just because they want to be macho.

along those lines, I swear I waited 5 minutes for some dude to hit the other day. pratice swing times 3, stand over ball. back away, point club at hole, repeat 4 times....I wanted to say "JUST HIT THE FUCKING THING!!!!!!" so badly.

when he finally hit the ball, it wasn't for shit.
    You know it's funny my dad actually beat me this week, first time since I became a halfway decent golfer. 92-96. His arthritis held up and I played absolute dog shit! 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Perfect conditions out there for some low scores...now will everyone be crying about guys shooting in the 60s like they did for the US Open???

5th hole is only playing 310 yards today.  These guys hitting 3 wood onto the green...crazy.