Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    US Open week.  Pretty pumped.  Kevin Na bitching about the fescue, Rory saying the course is perfect.  Apparently these are the widest fairways you'll find at an Open.  Big course too.  Should be fun.
    I love major weeks.  I just hope the leaderboard on Saturday and Sunday has some big names.  I will watch regardless but to have Rory, Jordan, Dustin, Jason, Phil (hope for some weather delays), Adam Scott, etc... battling each other at the end would be awesome (like the 2015 US Open). 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    US Open week.  Pretty pumped.  Kevin Na bitching about the fescue, Rory saying the course is perfect.  Apparently these are the widest fairways you'll find at an Open.  Big course too.  Should be fun.

Always a fun week...wanted to try to get up to Erin Hills to see it in person since it isn't too far but couldn't work it out for this weekend.

That video of Na in the fescue is crazy.  I would be lucky to break 150 at this course.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    edited June 2017

Always a fun week...wanted to try to get up to Erin Hills to see it in person since it isn't too far but couldn't work it out for this weekend.

That video of Na in the fescue is crazy.  I would be lucky to break 150 at this course.

Yeah, no doubt.  I would lose a ton of balls in that.  These are really wide fairways for these guys though.  We'll see some stuff out of that, but from what I have read, they should be able to avoid that really long stuff.  And if not, whatever, it's the US Open.  Apparently the greens are perfect.

Yep, I am down with Rory

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options

Yeah, no doubt.  I would lose a ton of balls in that.  These are really wide fairways for these guys though.  We'll see some stuff out of that, but from what I have read, they should be able to avoid that really long stuff.  And if not, whatever, it's the US Open.  Apparently the greens are perfect.

Yep, I am down with Rory

Yeah, those fairways are super wide.  I think the players are just salty towards the USGA after the nonsense last year with DJ and the course conditions the year before at Chamber's Bay.  Feels like the USGA just loves the controversy....it's always something every year.
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,430

Yep, I am down with Rory

Me too. 

That's one , of many reasons, that make the US Open the hardest Major to win. Hell, i know that am i not the most knowledgeable Golf fan.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    I would think wider fairways, would benefit young Jordan this week. Looks like a fun course to watch. Can't wait. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I would think wider fairways, would benefit young Jordan this week. Looks like a fun course to watch. Can't wait. 
    I think it's a bombers tournament. Could play as long as 8,300. That's insane and won't be that long at end of day but still a massive course. Spieth is 109th in shots gained off tee. Wider fairways will definitely help but feel like he's a bit too crooked and a bit too short. Greens are perfect so could cancel out his putting advantage. 

Rory seems to be in a good place but he just hasn't played much competitively. Day had been trending in the right direction

I can't wait. Got a good feeling about this one
  • Options
    I think it's a bombers tournament. Could play as long as 8,300. That's insane and won't be that long at end of day but still a massive course. Spieth is 109th in shots gained off tee. Wider fairways will definitely help but feel like he's a bit too crooked and a bit too short. Greens are perfect so could cancel out his putting advantage. 

Rory seems to be in a good place but he just hasn't played much competitively. Day had been trending in the right direction

Yeah, the longer guys are going to have a big advantage here.  I could easily see DJ running away with it.  Day has been playing well lately too so I'd definitely expect him to be in it.  This course seems perfect for Rory, but hard to trust him here since he has barely played the last few months.  Will be nice to watch a major that actually gets some decent TV coverage.
  • Options

Yeah, the longer guys are going to have a big advantage here.  I could easily see DJ running away with it.  Day has been playing well lately too so I'd definitely expect him to be in it.  This course seems perfect for Rory, but hard to trust him here since he has barely played the last few months.  Will be nice to watch a major that actually gets some decent TV coverage.
    I can get down with a DJ back to back.  He hasn't played much this year either.

I think I like this course.
  • Options

Yep, I am down with Rory

Right on.  It could just as easily be a lake or creek alongside the fairway.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    A beautiful picture.  My favorite time on a golf course is that last hour before sunset.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    A beautiful picture.  My favorite time on a golf course is that last hour before sunset.

not so beautiful if you're in that right hand bunker!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Oh yeah, I would be in full on mental meltdown mode long before I made it to that green.

I'm a mental midget on the golf course.  Got a busted 9 iron and Hybrid I need to send to Ping to get re-shafted.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Threw some action on DJ, Day and Rahm to win.  Also did Koepka and Grace to finish top 10.  So happy to be working from home the next 2 days....a lot of golf.
  • Options

Thats what they said about Chambers Bay...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Wobbie said:
    Imagine hitting what you think is a perfect shot, right in the middle of the green....only to have it roll off 15 yards from the fringe? What a crazy hole.

Put some $ on Spieth, Rory, Ricky and MAT SUH YA MA (it's tradition)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Thats what they said about Chambers Bay...
    Yeah, and if DJ didn't 3 jack it...

We shall see.  Tons of coverage. Featured groups into coverage at 11. 
  • Options
    I didn't do anyone to win.  Took Day in my full season pool.  Think it's one of the big names and the odds are so terrible.

Did a bunch of top 10, top 20 though. Bunch of randoms. Fleetwood, Horschel, Casey, Wood, Niebrugge (hoping for this one, lol), Louis, Pieters, maybe one or two others.

• Options
    Rickie off to a great start.  DJ struggling out there so far....spending a lot of time in that fescue.  And Rahm is a mess out there so far....didn't realize he was such a hothead.  He looks extremely flustered.
  • Options
    Rickie off to a great start.  DJ struggling out there so far....spending a lot of time in that fescue.  And Rahm is a mess out there so far....didn't realize he was such a hothead.  He looks extremely flustered.
    Not a great look for Rahm this week and and at the Memorial. Still a kid.  Will hopefully grow up, but brutal.  This as he has a pretty bad chip and slams a club.

They were commenting on Golf Channel yesterday afternoon that DJ was working on his swing with Harmon yesterday afternoon. 
  • Options
    A couple hours of meetings this morning and now wide open this afternoon.  My 2nd computer screen will be put to good use.  Can't wait for this evening.  This will go till 8 or so.
  • Options
    A blimp crashed!
  • Options
    A blimp crashed!

Just saw that.  Apparently the crew in the blimp had to parachute out of there.  Crazy.
  • Options
    Not a great look for Rahm this week and and at the Memorial. Still a kid.  Will hopefully grow up, but brutal.  This as he has a pretty bad chip and slams a club.

They were commenting on Golf Channel yesterday afternoon that DJ was working on his swing with Harmon yesterday afternoon. 

Yeah, he's still very young....I like these guys that actually show some emotion, but that seemed a little much.  But I'm almost 34 and I still do shit like that sometimes so I shouldn't talk.  I just had no clue Rahm was like that....he has been playing so well that he really hasn't had much to be pissed off about.

Looks like conditions are going to be a little tougher out there this afternoon.  Getting windy.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    A blimp crashed!
    Somehow Tiger will be blamed for it.
  • Options
    Fuck do I know? Day is +7
  • Options
    At that. None of the bombers are doing dick 
  • Options
    Fuck do I know? Day is +7
    Crazy.  And funny to see Rory in that fescue all day after his comments the other day.  Guys that played this morning obviously had a huge advantage.  It rained a ton yesterday so course was nice and soft and wasn't very windy yet.