Options

The Official New York Yankees Thread

Comments

• Options
    Fuck, I caught the piece just as some of the players were looking like they were going to cry/barf over the spectator hit.  They didnt show what happened -- was it a kid that got hit or something?
    As much as it is a pain in the ass to have the screens up at Philly this season, it is much easier to sit by the dugout with my easily distracted 12 year old.  I was always on super watch and insisted I sit in-between him and the batter.  Now I can look at my phone/around the stadium & chill.
    Yeah, that looked bad.  It looked like Holliday was crying.  They showed a 2 second glimpse and it looked like a very small kid that they were carrying out, but I am not 100% sure just how young.  Was definitely a kid.

Put the friggen nets up.
    Honest question?  Do kids even want to catch a ball anymore?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Toddler female who was taken to a nearby hospital.  Jesus.
  • Options
    Fuck, I caught the piece just as some of the players were looking like they were going to cry/barf over the spectator hit.  They didnt show what happened -- was it a kid that got hit or something?
    As much as it is a pain in the ass to have the screens up at Philly this season, it is much easier to sit by the dugout with my easily distracted 12 year old.  I was always on super watch and insisted I sit in-between him and the batter.  Now I can look at my phone/around the stadium & chill.
    Yeah, that looked bad.  It looked like Holliday was crying.  They showed a 2 second glimpse and it looked like a very small kid that they were carrying out, but I am not 100% sure just how young.  Was definitely a kid.

Put the friggen nets up.
    Honest question?  Do kids even want to catch a ball anymore?
    I don't know. Don't have any kids yet.  I would imagine.  Why wouldn't they?
  • Options
    This team is rollin'...
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Yes, my 12 year old loves it.  He came away with 4 the last game of 2016 season.  Got 1 from the 3 games this year.  He's a hound.

Disturbing that it was a toddler girl.  I don't pray but I sure as hell will be hoping good things for her. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Girardi said it sounds like she'll be okay.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I guess it was a toddler that got hit in the mouth. As bad as that probably is, it's likely better than a straight hit to the head. Hope she's ok. 
  • Options
    This is the most new Yankee Stadium thing ever

• Options
    Hope the little one is ok.

Judge over 100rbis.  Cray...  His bat is getting hot again.
  • Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078

Put the friggen nets up.
    This is dumb to not have the nets there, knowing what we know about safety and being able to measure exit velocity.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Some good stuff here

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/09/thoughts-on-the-final-off-day-of-the-regular-season-161132/

This...so much this.

2. Why are the Yankees are on pace to win 90.6 games with the second best run differential in baseball? Because they’ve obliterated the normal attrition rate associated with even top prospects. Aaron Judge might hit 50 home runs as a rookie. Gary Sanchez has 32 homers as a 24-year-old catcher despite missing a month. Luis Severino has performed like a legitimate ace. That’s not supposed to happen! When you have three prospects like that coming up through the system, you hope to hit big on one and thank the baseball gods if you hit on two. Hit huge on all three so quickly? Come on. That doesn’t happen. Young catchers usually need a few seasons to find their footing offensively. A 6-foot-7 hitter is supposed to need years to adjust to big league pitchers picking apart the holes in his swing before posting .400+ OBPs. Young starters who throw 100 mph for 100+ pitches aren’t supposed to stay healthy. The Yankees hit the prospect jackpot. Judge, Sanchez, and Severino all became impact players very quickly. The veterans have helped get the Yankees where they are. No doubt. But they’re all complementary players. The three homegrown All-Stars are the centerpieces of this soon-to-be officially postseason bound team.
  • Options
    Some good stuff here

http://riveraveblues.com/2017/09/thoughts-on-the-final-off-day-of-the-regular-season-161132/

This...so much this.

2. Why are the Yankees are on pace to win 90.6 games with the second best run differential in baseball? Because they’ve obliterated the normal attrition rate associated with even top prospects. Aaron Judge might hit 50 home runs as a rookie. Gary Sanchez has 32 homers as a 24-year-old catcher despite missing a month. Luis Severino has performed like a legitimate ace. That’s not supposed to happen! When you have three prospects like that coming up through the system, you hope to hit big on one and thank the baseball gods if you hit on two. Hit huge on all three so quickly? Come on. That doesn’t happen. Young catchers usually need a few seasons to find their footing offensively. A 6-foot-7 hitter is supposed to need years to adjust to big league pitchers picking apart the holes in his swing before posting .400+ OBPs. Young starters who throw 100 mph for 100+ pitches aren’t supposed to stay healthy. The Yankees hit the prospect jackpot. Judge, Sanchez, and Severino all became impact players very quickly. The veterans have helped get the Yankees where they are. No doubt. But they’re all complementary players. The three homegrown All-Stars are the centerpieces of this soon-to-be officially postseason bound team.
    Point three and four of this about driving up pitch counts is valid also.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Some good stuff here

This...so much this.

Yeah, man.  I was thinking the other day when that Twins kid was pitching that this more like your stereotypical yanks lineup.  Drive up the pitch count, get the starter out and beat up the bullpen.
  • Options
    Some good stuff here

This...so much this.

Yeah, man.  I was thinking the other day when that Twins kid was pitching that this more like your stereotypical yanks lineup.  Drive up the pitch count, get the starter out and beat up the bullpen.
    When the Yankees were winning championships they had a stat that tattooed my brain: The Yankees lineup takes more pitches and goes deeper in the count than any other team in baseball.  If they are doing that again then watch out.
  • Options

Put the friggen nets up.
    This is dumb to not have the nets there, knowing what we know about safety and being able to measure exit velocity.
    Nobody screamed for the nets for years and years.  I personally don't like them.  

Is this where we are heading now though?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625

Put the friggen nets up.
    Nobody screamed for the nets for years and years.  I personally don't like them.  

Is this where we are heading now though?
    As shared before, I dont love them in place @ Philly this year....but it is a hell of a lot safer down there.  I saw someone get brained in Atlanta a few years ago right behind the dugout and it was brutal. 
    Like hockey, there are only a few spots where you don't see "through" the netting very quickly and get used to it.  A few spots it can be annoying....but yes, I think this is going to be the straw that breaks the camel's back.  It was an awful feeling watching that yesterday.
    Please get the nets up in the danger areas like that.  We got used to it in hockey, they are used to it behind the plate, we can get used to it through the dugout area, at least.
  • Options
    knowing what we know about the speed of balls, I never want to sit down low where there's netting. I went to the Orioles game tonight and sat in the field level behind the plate where there was netting and even though a ball could go over the net as a fly ball, it's a lot more of a peace of mind knowing a line drive isn't screaming your way.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    knowing what we know about the speed of balls, I never want to sit down low where there's netting. I went to the Orioles game tonight and sat in the field level behind the plate where there was netting and even though a ball could go over the net as a fly ball, it's a lot more of a peace of mind knowing a line drive isn't screaming your way.
    Not attacking you X-man, just some thoughts.

This is what fascinates me, you didn't know the ball was coming off the bat like a rocket all the other years?  It was pretty evident that it was hit hard and fast back in 1987 as well as in 2017.

2nd I always liked being in seats where it was possible to get a foul ball.  Being behind a screen meant there was no chance...

I do wonder if they put up more nets if the experience between player and fan will diminish even more?  No autographs down the rails if a net is up?  Or maybe just a less of a chance.  Just a thought.

• Options

This is what fascinates me, you didn't know the ball was coming off the bat like a rocket all the other years?  It was pretty evident that it was hit hard and fast back in 1987 as well as in 2017.

2nd I always liked being in seats where it was possible to get a foul ball.  Being behind a screen meant there was no chance...

I do wonder if they put up more nets if the experience between player and fan will diminish even more?  No autographs down the rails if a net is up?  Or maybe just a less of a chance.  Just a thought.

When we sat on the Reds dugout @ Philly this year the 12 yr old still got 2 of them...they were just ones from the players as they came off the field...flipped up and over the screen. 
    He got signatures before the game down the line....
    It was more difficult to get the balls -- usually he gets more and shares them with other kids, he just loves the thrill of the players giving them to him...and when we are on the dugout it is very easy to get autographs by tossing the ball and marker to the players to sign and toss back.  That part is a bummer....but, honestly, not many kids get spoiled like him and ever get to sit first row to begin with.

I grew up going to Fenway and sitting 4 rows behind the visitors dugout when we went, using my dad's company box seats.  Hell yes the ball came screaming but I was glued to the game and always had my glove.

• Options

all fair points, but it seems having actual data on the speed of the ball seems to have made people realize the impact more than ever. Of course you should always be aware and watching for the foul balls. As for the autograph stuff, I'm sure teams could figure out ways to do it to compensate for netting separating the field and seats. 
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
  • Options
    Postseason bitches 
  • Options
    So Judge is back over an OPS of 1 and had the 3rd highest OPS and 2nd highest (or tied for lead) WAR in MLB.  Pretty insane.
  • Options
    So Judge is back over an OPS of 1 and had the 3rd highest OPS and 2nd highest (or tied for lead) WAR in MLB.  Pretty insane.
    He had a two month slump too.

I believe he is the real deal, I really do.  I started collecting his cards before his call up last year and was following him in the minors and I thought he was just too big to play.  I was wrong and I'm glad I was wrong.

He is now 1 homerun away from tying McGwires rookie record of 49.  That's something I thought would never be broken honestly.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Did I hear this correctly?  No player in history has ever hit 50 HR with 200 K in a season?  Judge could be the first.

It is quite amazing that someone with that many strikeouts can still hit 50 HR, 100 RBI,  and lead the league in walks and runs scored.  If he can drop the K rate, my goodness look out!
  • Options
    Did I hear this correctly?  No player in history has ever hit 50 HR with 200 K in a season?  Judge could be the first.

It is quite amazing that someone with that many strikeouts can still hit 50 HR, 100 RBI,  and lead the league in walks and runs scored.  If he can drop the K rate, my goodness look out!
    Different league now.  Swing hard and for the fences.  K's aren't frowned upon if you are jacking it out of the stadium, drawing walks and getting on base still.
  • Options
    That probably makes sense.  I am not a huge fan high strikeout guys, they kill rallies, lost outs, etc.  That said, if he can be in the top 10 in OPS annually with that many strikeouts, you can't really complain.  The walks are so important with how often he strikes out.  Dude gets on base.

Tempo, I always thought he was too big to be an impact payer too. I had hope, but thought it was tough to see. I hope you're right.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Different league now.  Swing hard and for the fences.  K's aren't frowned upon if you are jacking it out of the stadium, drawing walks and getting on base still.
    No doubt about that.  Even still, it's rare to see a player who strikes out that often to also draw walks and have a high OBP.   Usually strikeouts signify an impatient hitter, one who doesn't draw a lot of walks.  To lead the league in both is just astonishing.

On a separate note, I really like that Judge seems like an all-around good dude, too.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
  • Options
    YEAHHHHHHHH!!!!!
  • Options
    What the heck...why are they playing a day game today?