Options

am I the only one who thinks MMJ and KoL suck??

hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
edited October 2008 in Other Music
are there any other out there????

I dont know....I think MMJ puts on a great show,but their songs just dont "HIT" me like other bands....Kings Of Leon have NEVER impressed me at all.

you guys can go ahead and flame away,because I know its apparently taboo to go against the grain in here,especially about those two bands...but honestly...they suck balls IMO
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Well, each to his own, I guess. But...
    I think MMJ puts on a great show...
    they suck balls IMO
    :confused:
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    well i'm sorta with you, i thought "Z" was a masterpiece, but "Evil Urges" was a piece o' shit.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I love MMJ but abhor KoL
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    I love MMJ with a passion. But KOL don't really do it for me either. I haven't heard anything of theirs that made me want to explore them more.
    "It's all happening"
  • Options
    TiaMijaTiaMija Posts: 597
    Yes.
  • Options
    MMJ is okay, but KOL- wow, that's a different story :)
    "I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

"No, it was cordless."
  • Options
    hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    Well, each to his own, I guess. But...

Quote:
    I think MMJ puts on a great show...

Quote:
    they suck balls IMO

:confused:

lots of people/bands put on great shows...but does that mean I have to like them? NO

Elton John is a fantastic showman, but Im not a fan.

Foo Fighters put on a helluva show.....not a fan of their music

Tool put on an amazingly visual and great performance.....not a fan of their sound
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    I wouldn't say they suck, but I don't care for MMJ at all, even live. KOL I did enjoy live but not their albums. Neither one really does much for me, so you're not alone. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    I think MMJ are amazing. Well everything up to "Evil Urges" to me was great. That last album I really don't care for. KOL on the other hand I think suck. They are just so fake and try so hard to get popular in the U.S. Apparently they are huge over seas. Their lyrics and music are just weak. Seems like they try way too hard with their image.
  • Options
    Yup.
    VHC member #155***

Ft Lauderdale '96:::West Palm Beach '98:::Tampa '00:::Tampa '03:::Camden 1&2 '06::: DC '06:::West Palm Beach '08:::Tampa '08:::Columbia '08:::Virginia Beach '08

• Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,292
    hoopinman wrote:

I dont know....I think MMJ puts on a great show,but their songs just dont "HIT" me like other bands....Kings Of Leon have NEVER impressed me at all.

you guys can go ahead and flame away,because I know its apparently taboo to go against the grain in here,especially about those two bands...but honestly...they suck balls IMO
    I can admit that they are good rock bands. But i'll also say that they're both a bit overated.
  • Options
    I think MMJ are amazing. Well everything up to "Evil Urges" to me was great. That last album I really don't care for. KOL on the other hand I think suck. They are just so fake and try so hard to get popular in the U.S. Apparently they are huge over seas. Their lyrics and music are just weak. Seems like they try way too hard with their image.

true about KOL, they are trying too hard. I liked them better when they were a scruffy southern sounding band. But I don't blame them though, rock aint so popular in the US at the moment, you have to play ball to get anywhere! And they are a rock band, so i'd rather see them put in some effort, get huge and change the landscape of music rather seeing Pink, T.I., Rhianna and Kanye West dominate the music charts! Lets some rock out there and in the airwaves, if some sacrifices have to be made (band becomes a little image conscious/tries to appeal to younger audience) so be it! I think we really need a rock band to "sell out" to get the ball rolling...if happens to be KOL, more power to them!

MMJ, I am a little divided about. Some great songs, but some real stinkers at the same time. Evil Urges I am not so sure about.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    hoopinman wrote:

I wouldn't say it's taboo or going against the grain because this is about the 3rd or 4th thread i've seen saying what you just did in the past month. Actually the board seems pretty split to me.

I think both bands are great. That doesn't mean I love everything they put out. Can't see how anyone could say that their bodies of work are sh*tty though IMO. If it's not for you no big deal. We really don't need 48 threads on them. Especially negative ones. Kind of non constructive and pointless IMO
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    i love them both but i'm pretty tired of them popping up on this board.
  • Options
    boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I don't care for either band. I wouldn't say they suck though. I get why people on this board are into them. But I haven't been able to get into them myself. I have also seen MMJ live and find people's high praise of their shows baffling.

Also, as mentioned above, the number of MMJ and Kings of Leon threads on this board is ridiculous. This board has become so limited in its scope, and that's discouraging.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    KOL are a pretty good band. Newest album is shit though.
  • Options
    I've been really getting into the new KOL. MMJ are cool but, i'm not huge on them really.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!
  • Options
    I agree 100%. Both bands suck. People really need to get off their dicks sometimes. It's bland, boring rock that's been redone for years.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I agree 100%. Both bands suck. People really need to get off their dicks sometimes. It's bland, boring rock that's been redone for years.

This is what my dad said about pearl jam when they came out in the early 90's.

On many levels it is true about both of them pearl jam or my morning jacket are not breaking any new ground and both could be considered bland because of that.

I think they do what they do very well though and enjoy them both even though it is a rehash mostly.

Kings of Leon though.. i enjoy the music but can't stand the singer or the lyrics.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    They don't suck.. i just don't find them as good as some people hype them to be.
    "Up here so high the sky I scrape,
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest,
    Just like innocence."
  • Options
    I personally think both are great, but to each his own. I don't like a lot of the bands so many people like a lot (Radiohead tops that list) so no need to flame. I just hate you are missing out!
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    MMJ is great and an excellent live band. Don't let the tiny 30 minute set during the Pearl Jam tour fool you. Go see one of their own performances. They are an amazing live band. I'm hot and cold on Evil Urges. It's got it's moments but not up to the standards set by Z or It Still Moves which are epic albums

KOL are decent, but there are far too many songs in their catalogue that I just can't get into. Their latest album unfortunately leans more towards that style and material and I'm not really fond of it at the moment.
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    intodeep wrote:
    This is what my dad said about pearl jam when they came out in the early 90's.

On many levels it is true about both of them pearl jam or my morning jacket are not breaking any new ground and both could be considered bland because of that.

I think they do what they do very well though and enjoy them both even though it is a rehash mostly.

Kings of Leon though.. i enjoy the music but can't stand the singer or the lyrics.

What are you talking about? MMJ has bridged the gap between so many genres of music including country, idie rock, blues, etc. There last album is the most eclectic album ive ever heard in my life.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I like MMJ, especially the Okonokos CD. They have some really great songs.

KOL, on the other hand fucking sucks. I don't see an ounce of originality from them. MMJ blows KOL out the door, no question AT ALL.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    they are both incredible bands.
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    hoopinman wrote:

"suck" is a bit hard. Britney Spears sucks, other "pop" artists like her suck, but come one, MMJ and KoL don't suck.
    You may not be a fan and I can understand that some are not impressed, but they don't suck just because you don't like them
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    mobbermobber Posts: 14
    i like mmj. their new one took alot of time, but then again it took me a couple of listens to like their early stuff.

they use so much reverb, it sounds like i'm at their show & went to get a beer or take a piss & they're jammin in the background...

untill 3 months ago, i couldn't stand kol. couldn't listen to it in the car or on road trips. nothing. then i was in a bar for happy hour and they played it. that was a good setting for it. i'm a bartender & i now play their 1st 3 albums all the time. good stuff.

the new kings of leon sucks balls. wtff? maybe i'll like it one day, but i can't listen all the way through...
    "I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turn up..."
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    i cant get into MMJ at all...... and i have only recently got into KOL and i fuckin love them...bought all their albums in the same week after i heard because of the times.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    You're not the only one. I don't really care for either band.
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • Options
    patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    a lot of my friends are into KOL, but i never understood the appeal. i like their sound, but i can't get past the singer's voice. it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.

it took me about a year to get into MMJ. i bought Z and wasn't all that impressed with them until i picked up at dawn and it still moves. i started liking Z a lot more after that. i don't mean to sound like one of those people who says you "don't get it" if you don't like MMJ, but there's just something about those guys that's really special.

and if you weren't at their epic 4 hour show at bonnaroo where they controlled the weather then please keep your negative comments about MMJ to yourself. i will probably never witness a better show for the rest of my life.