Options

am I the only one who thinks MMJ and KoL suck??

2»

Comments

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Suck isn't the right word. I don't think they're bad quality, but they just don't appeal to me that much.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    I have to agree with you. I don't like either of the bands. The bad thing about these boards is the amount of flaming you receive if you don't agree with a few people or have your own opinion. These 2 bands just don't do anything for me.
  • Options
    yellowled24yellowled24 Posts: 3,118
    I always laugh when peple seem so suprised or offended that we all think differently about each others musical preferences :D

OMG :eek: "What do you mean you arent EXACTLY like me?" haahaa :D:D
    "....and was very surprised to see that he didnt actually have a recipe for anus-ankle soup." - Big Ed
  • Options
    if you dont like it after that than you officially dont like MMJ
    by nine he had deciphered the illusion, trading magic for a fact...

32 shows since 2001 and counting ..
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I agree with you, KOL might be good if the vocals werent so bad and MMJ just dont do it for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I agree with you, KOL might be good if the vocals werent so bad and MMJ just dont do it for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    I don't think they suck, but I'm not really impressed by either. I've seen both of them live too. Kings of Leon was really painful to sit through. I thought My Morning Jacket was ok when they opened for Pearl Jam, but not at Lolla. Gideon is a cool song, but that's about all I like from them.
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    both equally melt one's face off as well.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    My Morning Jacket....yes they are on the borderline of suckiness.

Kings of Leon...no....they are f'n rock and roll.

why do these two bands always get lumped together....i really don't hear it.
    "No need to be void,...or save up on life...You got to spend it all....."
  • Options
    I couldnt agree more. 2 terrible bands. With bad singing. Dunno what all the hype about them around here is.
  • Options
    love em both

I do however HATE the killers.

I may or may not be in the minority on that.
  • Options
    i dont care for either. MMJ is bland. and KOL is too original in this day and age.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 328
    mmj- i never thought id get into a band the way i did with pj, but it happneed not to long ago with these guys. Some of the most beautiful music ive ever heard
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    love em both

I do however HATE the killers.

I may or may not be in the minority on that.

Same. I think the killers are absolute garbage. KOL is borderline garbage/decent. MMJ is borderline good/very good.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I love them both and I am OBSESSED with the latest KOL.
    OBSESSED.
    :)
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    I don't see how people on here are saying that MMJ are bland?! :confused:

KoL, although i'm a fan, I think are a one trick pony. They have a good sound and don't really divert from that. That isn't a negative, i'm just saying that they don't experiement at all and don't really deserve the hype. Of course they have different sounding songs (Charmer and Closer from the last two albums are the two that instantly come to mind) but the thing is, you can't MISTAKE KoL (mostly thanks to Caleb's vocals). That isn't a bad thing but it's all a bit.... 'safe'.

MMJ however, they DO change their sound up a bit. You can't deny that Highly Suspicious and Picture of You are two completely different sounding songs! It's like they've been done by two different bands. I for one like that about the music I listen to, I like not knowing what to expect from their next album. I love the way that Jim James' voice changes depending on the song and not just the melody and tempo.

I'm not saying that this is the sign of a good band. If people don't like music, you can't force them to, but to call an experimental band like MMJ 'bland' is a little sweeping.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    i think a lot of people's negative opinions of MMJ would change if they actually took the time to listen through At Dawn, It Still Moves, and Z. i've found myself listening to some of their songs and wishing i could've written something as good. no other band has really ever done that for me. like i said before, there's just something really special about this band. i can't put my finger on it, but there's something.
  • Options
    no you are not the only one!!! I really can't stand either one of them, not into that type of music at all. No offense to PJ but when MMJ opened, I dreaded seeing them for a second time.
    08/29 & 8/30 2000-Mansfield
    7/2 & 7/11 2003-Mansfield
    9/28 & 9/29 2004-Boston
    5/24 & 5/25 2006-Boston-11th & 10th row
    6/27 2008-Hartford -Front Row Center!
    6/28 & 6/30 2008-Mansfield

08/01 (2nd row) & 08/02/2008 (Eddie Vedder) Boston

skinny little bitch
  • Options
    patw486patw486 Posts: 52
    no you are not the only one!!! I really can't stand either one of them, not into that type of music at all. No offense to PJ but when MMJ opened, I dreaded seeing them for a second time.

well at least you're basing them off an opening set instead of something like, oh i don't know, one of their own shows or an album.
  • Options
    I don't hate these two bands but I could care less about them.
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I think MMJ has a pretty decent sound but I hate the singers voice. It totally ruins it completely for me.

KOL, well, the just suck.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    On a side note I got MMJ's Milwaukee Riverside poster in the mail today. I had to buy it. lol :)