-Jerry Cantrell
    -John Frusciante
    -Eddie Van Halen
    -Jimmy Page
    -Keith Richards
    -Mike Mcready
    -SRV
  • PRINCE

funny, he's often left off these lists. probabably because he's awesome in just about every factor that defines musical talent that people often overlook his guitar chops.

sometimes I wish I was Jack White.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I think Jack White is a beast for modern players as well.

Prince, holy shit. The 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' he did with Tom Petty and co. was one of the best solos I've ever heard, period.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • in terms of talent... there's no limit. Steve Via, Kirk Hammett, Malsteem, whoever is amazing; but in terms of the music created, the two Jimmys, Hendrix #1 and Page #2, are on top.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    petrocs wrote:
    Living, Dead, Retired..whatever..who do you think is the BEST at his / her craft?
    he had a pet monkey called Charlie Chan.....
    and we excused him, while he kissed the sky.....

....Jimi Hendrix
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Jimi Hendrix
    NERDS!
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    Uli Roth, Jeff Beck, Ritchie Blackmore, Gary Moore, Billy Gibbons, all worth an honorable mention.
    This fella is not too shabby, nice melodic style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ct7qKCK8UM
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    born2runqt wrote:
    The Edge?
    No
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • StaffanStaffan Posts: 606
    Frank Zappa
    Martin Barre
    Johnny Winter

all great players with a unique style, but the best....I dunno

Peace
    Everyday................is Pearl Jam Day.

Except Sundays, that's Ed day.

The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. FZ

• Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Living: Clapton
    Dead: SRV
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    I dont know why but Eric Clapton has bored me for more years than I can say..and to all the Jack White nominations...I agree he is a modern wonder..reminds me of Keith Richards
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    ^^ You make a valid point in that Clapton has been fairly boring for some years now, but I am of the opinion that he is still absolutely capable of turning out blistering solos...he just chooses not to
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    ^^ You make a valid point in that Clapton has been fairly boring for some years now, but I am of the opinion that he is still absolutely capable of turning out blistering solos...he just chooses not to

we hope...I hope he hasnt forgotten :)
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    elmer wrote:
    Acoustic : Bert Jansch

Ah, well, it's time to add someone else to that list ... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZBt4VTcUA
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    heres a tibit of info for all you folks who think Jimi is the man

Jimi Hendrix said Billy Gibbons was the best guitarist he had ever seen.
  • born2runqtborn2runqt Posts: 109
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    No

OK - just threw it out there...
    ...tramps like us...

I miss you Daddy.....10/12/07
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    with all due respect to the OP, this isnt a discussion. Its Jimi. End of story. period. Its Jimi, then everyone else.
  • FinsburyParkCarrotsFinsburyParkCarrots Seattle, WA Posts: 12,223
    hoopinman wrote:

He liked Terry from Chicago, too.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    hoopinman wrote:

And a tibit of info back for you ;)
    I can remember reading where Jimi named Billy as his favorite blues player.

Favorite does not = best.
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    with all due respect to the OP, this isnt a discussion. Its Jimi. End of story. period. Its Jimi, then everyone else.

It's entirely a discussion. Jimi is important in rock history, but saying he is objectively the best is just not possible.

Most influential in rock? Maybe.

Most creative? You could make a case.

Best? In terms of style, if that's your deal, you could also make a case.

Technically? Not even remotely close.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    BinFrog wrote:
    It's entirely a discussion. Jimi is important in rock history, but saying he is objectively the best is just not possible.

Sure there is better guitar players out there technically, I dont think anyone is denying that.
    But what it comes down to is the emotion instilled by the performance and the music being performed, just the same as Neil Young isnt technically the best singer.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
    Sure there is better guitar players out there technically, I dont think anyone is denying that.
    But what it comes down to is the emotion instilled by the performance and the music being performed, just the same as Neil Young isnt technically the best singer.

That's what I'm saying. Define "best". Maybe "greatest" is a better term for what this thread is going after.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Ah, well, it's time to add someone else to that list ... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZBt4VTcUA
    been listening to Sapphire recently, was a bit of a shock at first, but thinking it's pretty good now.
    BinFrog wrote:

I truly don't think technical skill matters. It's what ya do with it!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    I truly don't think technical skill matters. It's what ya do with it!

I disagree. Sure, some shredders have absolutely no feel whatsoever, but there is something to be said for technical prowess. A good shred solo or ridiculous jazz progression will perk my ears up. I can appreciate technical playing for it's own sake. It's not music meant to make you feel something deep. It's showing off, sure, but it can be fun to watch/hear. And some of those guys like Satriani make really listenable/enjoyable music. other guys like Malmsteen might have a lot of cheesy music, but man can they fly across the fretboard. It's not for everyone, but if you appreciate good playing for playing's sake, it's all good.

For example, how can you not get excited by this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    my dyslexia was acting up again... i thought it said "the whos greatest guitarist?"

pete townshend... duh :p
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    BinFrog wrote:
    I disagree. Sure, some shredders have absolutely no feel whatsoever, but there is something to be said for technical prowess. A good shred solo or ridiculous jazz progression will perk my ears up. I can appreciate technical playing for it's own sake. It's not music meant to make you feel something deep. It's showing off, sure, but it can be fun to watch/hear. And some of those guys like Satriani make really listenable/enjoyable music. other guys like Malmsteen might have a lot of cheesy music, but man can they fly across the fretboard. It's not for everyone, but if you appreciate good playing for playing's sake, it's all good.

I swear..I was about to go looking for something from Al diMeola and Paco DeLucia

thats what i was originally saying.....theres no way anyone can tell me Jimi is the best hands down. I dont agree with you at all
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    BinFrog wrote:

Who honestly gives a shit about technical skill? Joe Satriani may be a great technical guitar player, but when he plays something that actually reaches and touches my soul, I'll give a shit about him.

Of course people will make a discussion out of it, and everyone has different criteria for what makes a great guitar player. But as far as I am concerned, the question begins and ends with Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughn. There is not another rock guitarist who is in the same ballpark.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
    BinFrog wrote:

BUt these guys are playing good music. Playing for playing's sake isn't playing for MUSIC's sake, and thats what's most important.

And I play.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Who honestly gives a shit about technical skill? Joe Satriani may be a great technical guitar player, but when he plays something that actually reaches and touches my soul, I'll give a shit about him.
    Give him a chance. Joe Satriani is way up there among my favourite artists. His music has touched me nearly as much as Pearl Jam; he writes very beautiful stuff and is in a different league to all other shredders.