Options

Boss Pedals

NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
edited June 2006 in Musicians and Gearheads
My girlfriend just got me a DS-1 for my birthday and I'm loving the hell out of it so far. I was thinking for my next one in a few months I would try either the Compression Sustainer or the BD-2 Blues Driver. Anyone have experience with either and/or a preference?

Before I get another pedal I'm investing in a hard case for my strat.
If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
7/10/06 LA 2
10/21/06 Bridge 1
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    Neither, get a DD-5 or a DD-6 and a good wah pedal and you'll be set for a long time.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    BinFrog wrote:
    Neither, get a DD-5 or a DD-6 and a good wah pedal and you'll be set for a long time.

I was looking into a DD-3 or 5 or 6 :) But the Line 6 DL4 I think will take it when I end up buying a delay......

I also have the DS-1 and the next pedal I bought was the Crybaby 535Q....after that the Boss SD-1 (Overdrive) Which I use more than the DS-1, I just like the tones from it better.

If I could get another Overdrive pedal by Boss I would go with the BD-2 for sure, even over my SD-1 I think, it was just to expensive at the time.....

The BD-2's are like $130 CAN and I bought my SD-1 used for $40.......
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    look into getting all your boss pedals modded...improves them more than you'd believe. I have a Keeley BD-2 and it's fantastic. I also have an unmodded DD-5 that's a great delay (by digital delay standards).
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • Options
    Dirty_FrankDirty_Frank Posts: 957
    THe BD-2 is a great pedal, even unmodded. The modded one is a very good pedal, but can be a bit of an investment. The stock pedal is just fine though. I have a DD-3, and it's a great pedal. It can do all sorts of cool stuff, and costs a bit less than the DD-5 or DD-6.

I had the Compression/Sustainer, and I hated it. In my opinion, it wasn't a very good sounding pedal. It may have been my setup and style, but I could not for the life of me get it to sound good.

I'll add another +1 on the SD-1. I've been using the SD-1 for about 6 years now, and it's probably the only pedal that has remained a mainstay on my board.

Boss pedals are good for the money, and will cover the basics of electric guitar tones and effects. It's when you get a bit more disconcerting that you start to wander into the booteek stuff. :)
  • Options
    I have had

BD-2
    DD-3
    DS-1
    DS-2

I hated the DS-1...the DS-2 wasn't bad but when I got my BD-2 I was a lot happier.

The BD-2 is an amazing pedal with a strat or any single could guitar. I usually run the tone down low with the gain at half way or a little more, with my strat on the middle or neck pickup, that is an AMAZING tone.

The DD-3 is great too. Very simple delay pedal that does the job, I love it.
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    i would take the DL4 over a DD-3,5,6. I have both, since the addition of the DL4, my DD-3 is just a "chink in the chain" or whatever the saying is. as for distortion/overdrive, i run to the hills from boss

"how many people did die from that?...did P.Diddy kill them?" - Eddie Vedder 2006.02.19
  • Options
    I have an assload of pedals and can answer questions if you have any. Here's my list:

Boss PW10 V-Wah
    Boss Auto Wah
    Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
    Boss DD-5 Delay
    Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
    Boss DS-1 Distortion
    Boss CH-1 Chorus
    Boss CS-3 Compression/Sustainer
    Boss GE-7 Equalizer
    Boss RV-2 Digital Reverb

Dunlop Cry-Baby Wah

Ibanez Flanger Soundtank

Akai D1 Shred-O-Matic Distortion
    Akai E1 Headrush Delay
    Akai P1 IntelliPhase

Zoom RFX-300
  • Options
    jbdjbd Posts: 65
    Boss sucks.

Sorry !

But the dm-3 rules though !
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • Options
    I disagree thoroughly. Boss pedals are built like tanks and there are so many different kinds to choose from. Sure they are mostly pretty standard, and I have a few I never use anymore, but a couple of their pedals are core parts of my setup.
  • Options
    Puck78Puck78 Posts: 737
    I have a DS1 as well, but I'm unhappy with the sound... since I'm a beginner, can I ask to the ones of you that are happy with it to tell which combination do you use of distorsion/tone, together with the gain/middle/bass/tremble of the amp to get a sound that you like?
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    I'm getting a ds1 pretty soon (no I'm not buying it someone's giving it to me !), I'll tell you then. But really, the sound you'll get will vary depending on what guitar/amp you use... So I don't think I'll really be of any help.
    "Fuck the kids ! Except the ones who are buying our records! They're fucking themselves!" - Mark Arm
  • Options
    Puck78 wrote:
    I have a DS1 as well, but I'm unhappy with the sound... since I'm a beginner, can I ask to the ones of you that are happy with it to tell which combination do you use of distorsion/tone, together with the gain/middle/bass/tremble of the amp to get a sound that you like?

I don't use my DS-1 anymore, but I found it to be a great pedal to use in combination with other distortion pedals, usually after them in your chain. It mixed nicel with my Akai distortion pedal to create some real tight sustain.
  • Options
    jbd wrote:
    I'm getting a ds1 pretty soon (no I'm not buying it someone's giving it to me !), I'll tell you then. But really, the sound you'll get will vary depending on what guitar/amp you use... So I don't think I'll really be of any help.
    my guitar is a fender strato-squier. The amp is a fender 15G frontman. it doesn't have a switch pedal, so I'm always devided between using the ds1 with a clean tone or with some gain.
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    I disagree thoroughly. Boss pedals are built like tanks and there are so many different kinds to choose from. Sure they are mostly pretty standard, and I have a few I never use anymore, but a couple of their pedals are core parts of my setup.

+1.

Boss pedals are fantastic for any musician. You can find any tone you're looking for with a wide assortment of reasonably priced pedals. Sure, there's better pedals out there, but finding, and affording them is a major issue for some people.

To the average musician, usable, and GOOD tones can be found in a large assortment of Boss pedals.

There's a lot of gear paradigms that are thrown around, but in the end it all comes down to what SOUNDS the best to you. A quick example would be the Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive. I would just pass that one by without looking at it twice or even trying it out. It's got a great reputation as being a great OD pedal for a super cheap price.
  • Options
    so, no suggestions on which are the best amp and ds1 knobs position? :(
    www.amnesty.org
    www.amnesty.org.uk
  • Options
    Puck78 wrote:
    so, no suggestions on which are the best amp and ds1 knobs position? :(

The best position is the one you figure out that has the sound you are going for. There is no right or wrong.
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    The best position is the one you figure out that has the sound you are going for. There is no right or wrong.

exactly. I just traded my Classic 30 for a Delta Blues (That's the Stone sound I'm telling 'ya), and my Ts9 just doesn't seem to sound the way I want it to anymore... I'm worried. So you see, it all depends on your amp and guitar, but I'll tell you my Ds1 favorite settings once I get it... Don't think it'll be usefull though.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Ok, I would reccomend a CE-5 Chorus Ensemble and a DD-6. I have those two plus the DS-1. I prefer the MXR Dynacomp to the Boss Compressor, as I AB'd them and chose the dynacomp. As for DS-1 settings.

Tone: 12 o'clock
    Level: 2 o'clock
    Gain: Depends on what I'm playing
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    i don't recommend the CS-3 compressor. it's range of usable settings is very small. i also found it quite noisy (common to most cheap pedals). lots of white noise hiss.

i second the dynacomp recommendation for a basic compressor.
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    i don't recommend the CS-3 compressor. it's range of usable settings is very small. i also found it quite noisy (common to most cheap pedals). lots of white noise hiss.

i second the dynacomp recommendation for a basic compressor.

I'm going to add a +1 to this. I hated the CS-3.
  • Options
    i have a boss DD6 and i love it. i mean i realllllllly love it.

only problem is i can't get reverb.. it always comes out as a strange sounding delay... but then again it's not a reverb pedal :p

the difference in the dd6 and dd3 is special features.

Warp - hold down the pedal and it drives it into some choatic thing, which is really cool but not all that useful.

reverse - kick ass. i've used this more and more as i grew to understand it.

hold - sample up to like 5.2 seconds of sound. a bit choppy on the replay.. i never have a use for it.

it's worth the extra money just for the fun, but the delay itself; i.e. the pedal stripped down (the dd-3) is just terrific.

i also have a boss comp./sustainer and i like it.

it's very useful as a compressor, limiter, sustainer, even overdrive to some extent. and as always with boss pedals, it's easy to manipulate the pedal to do what you want it to.

Now i don't have a lot of experience in compression so there might be a better buy,... if this is the same pedal those guys are talking about (CS-3... little blue pedal... i'm too lazy to go look ;) ) than they're right about the white noise. But i only get that when the attack and sustain are high. When used as a limiter (i can crank my little marshall practice amp up to get a nice sound and comp. the signal to even it out... very handy for late at night so i don't wake anyone up ;) ) it's nice and quiet.

based on what i've got i'd say boss makes pretty good pedals; esp. considering price.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    And supposedly the best OD pedal for the money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Bad-Monkey-Tube-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150831

Costs about $40.00, and people say it sounds better than many that cost up to $200.00.

:o

I'm going to buy one and give it a shot one of these days.
  • Options
    Ya I've been thinking about that pedal. I have a DS-1 but I want an overdrive.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I've been debating selling off my Boss pedals, SD-1, BD-2 and DS-2, ever since I got the Greedtone. I find that pedal can do it all, and haven't even plugged in any of the Boss since I got it. Any takers?
  • Options
    Thumbing My WayThumbing My Way Posts: 1,073
    Ya I've been thinking about that pedal. I have a DS-1 but I want an overdrive.

I have a DS-1 and think it's pretty solid....

I also have an SD-1 the Super Overdrive one, which I use way more than the Distortion, it's a really solid OD pedal for the money and you can blend the 2 together to get some really rockin' tones.

I liked the EH Big Muff too when I was checking out OD's
    moster78 wrote:
    I've been debating selling off my Boss pedals, SD-1, BD-2 and DS-2, ever since I got the Greedtone. I find that pedal can do it all, and haven't even plugged in any of the Boss since I got it. Any takers?

I would love to get my hands on a BD-2 if the price were right :)

Would that be weird though?? (Having a DS-1, SD-1 and a BD-2)
    "I Miss You Already!!!!!"

"Sorry is the fool who trades his love for high-rise rent, Seems the more you make equals the loneliness you get"

.NJD.
  • Options
    moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    I would love to get my hands on a BD-2 if the price were right :)

Would that be weird though?? (Having a DS-1, SD-1 and a BD-2)

No, I have the same, except the DS-2 instead of the DS-1. PM me an offer and we'll see if we can work something out.
  • Options
    And supposedly the best OD pedal for the money:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DigiTech-Bad-Monkey-Tube-Overdrive-Pedal?sku=150831

Costs about $40.00, and people say it sounds better than many that cost up to $200.00.

:o

I'm going to buy one and give it a shot one of these days.

I have the Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive pedal and I beg to differ :)
  • Options
    NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    moster78 wrote:

Check your private messages.
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
  • Options
    BinFrog wrote:
    I have the Blackstone Mosfet Overdrive pedal and I beg to differ :)

Where do you get the Blackstone pedal? Thats my last name and would love to have one.
  • Options
    http://www.mindspring.com/~j.blackstone/

Warning: it's the greatest overdrive pedal ever.