• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    wow

even though i sucked at English Lit, was an awesome read
  • I BrisK I wrote:
    wow

even though i sucked at English Lit, was an awesome read

Thank you,

Mr. Bruno
    Dalai Lama—To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Im sorry but nickleback and creed are bunk.
    Flunk that, but whatever, to each their own.
    And by the way, no-one was suckin this dude off to my knowledge.
    But merely complimenting is outstanding enthusiasm with the education
    of young people.
    As well as the sharing of his students excitement about one of our
    favorite Pearl Jam tunes.
    And quite a positive thread to be posted here I might add.
    From what I have seen, their are alot of depressing threads posted in these
    forums.
    Of course they're not all depressing at all, many a thread in here are wonderful positive posts.
    Maybe some of you all enjoy miserable threads of pointless hopelessness.
    I vote chill the heck out and let the dude be.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I never had a teacher like Mr. Bruno. Hell, once in English in 1977 I stood up front and read a Kansas song called The Wall. There was silence; my classmates only knew songs like Ooogie Ooogie Wooogie Boogie or Saturday Night Fever. I got an A just for going up there and reading.

Kansas – The Wall lyrics

I'm woven in a fantasy
    I can't believe the things I see
    The path that I have chosen
    Has led me to a wall
    And with each passing day
    I feel a little more
    Like something dear was lost

It rises now before me
    A dark and silent barrier between
    All I am
    And all that I would ever want to be
    It's just a travesty
    Towering
    Marking off the boundaries my spirit
    Would erase

To pass beyond is what I seek
    I feel that I may be too weak
    And those are few
    Who've seen it through
    To glimpse the other side
    The promised land is waiting
    Like a maiden
    That is soon to be a bride

The moment is a masterpiece
    The weight of indecision's in the air
    It's standing there
    The symbol and the sum of all that's me
    It's just a travesty
    Towering
    Blocking all the light and blinding me
    I want to see

Gold and diamonds cast a spell
    It's not for me, I know it well
    The treasures that I seek
    Are waiting on the other side
    There's more that I can measure
    In the treasure of the love that I can find

And though it's always been with me
    I must tear down the wall and let it be
    All I am
    And all that I was ever meant to be
    In harmony
    Shining true and smiling back
    At all who wait to cross
    There is no more
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • yeah, this guy is obviously a really smart teach with posting his schools address and phone number on the web for all to see..

Frank,

I posted those numbers, public numbers by the way, becuse I do want members of PJ to contact my middle school. My students are curious to know if our interpreation of the metaphors, imagery, and mood are correct. Also, they would love to learn what prompted EV to write "Black." A personal contact from the band could go a very long way in affecting the students. Perhaps that would set them down on a path of life-long learning.

Mr. Bruno
    that ain't gonna happen (and whether or not they've been on this board much at all is up for question) but I admire your optimism :p;)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    chadwick wrote:
    Im sorry but nickleback and creed are bunk.

i rest my case.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • brokenarrowbrokenarrow Posts: 478
    Nice Mr. Bruno!
    My hat is off to you as well for inspiring your students to read, think, come up with their own ideas and interpretations and feel a part of a process that gets them interested in learning.

One of the teachers at the middle school I worked at (p.s. I'm a secretary not a teacher), had his kids study the lyrics to 'Evenflow'. They were discussing the homeless crisis in America, he asked me what I thought of using a current narrative rather than just blah,blah statistics zzzzzz.....

I thought it was a great idea and the feedback was ultimately that the kids really enjoyed it, they had good ideas about the problem and it got them to think of possible solutions... (Naturally he cut out the 'fuck it up' lyric as they were only in the 8th grade also).
    He also informed them that their secretary was a GIANT Pearl Jam fan so I went up a few notches in their book! ;)

Kick ass Mr. Bruno, wish I had teachers as cool and open minded as you~

'Evenflow'
    Freezin', rests his head on a pillow made of concrete, again
    Oh, Feelin' maybe he'll see a little better, set a days, ooh yeah
    Oh, hand out, faces that he sees time again ain't that familiar, oh yeah
    Oh, dark grin, he can't help, when he's happy looks insane, oh yeah

Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies
    Oh, he don't know, so he chases them away
    Someday yet, he'll begin his life again Life again, life again...
    Kneelin', looking through the paper though he doesn't know to read, ooh yeah

Oh, prayin', now to something that has never showed him anything
    Oh, feelin', understands the weather of the winters on its way
    Oh, ceilings, few and far between all the legal halls of shame, yeah

Someday yet, he'll begin his life again
    Whispering hands, gently lead him away
    Him away, him away...
    Yeah!
    Woo...ah yeah...fuck it up...

Someday yet, he'll begin his life again, yeah
    Oh, whispering hands, gently lead him away
    Him away, him away...
    Yeah!
    Woo...uh huh...
    yeah, yeah, mommy, mommy...

(Hi Share!)
  • kinetickinetic Posts: 148
    Jeff,
    While getting kids to learn might not be earth shaking to you, what about the one kid whom I spark? What about his/her parents? What if I keep one kid off of drugs, away from gangs, etc? Isn't it earth shaking for them? Frank's languishing seems out of proportion to my post. Perhaps when he has children of his own, he may see things differently.

Ciao for now,

Mr. Bruno

Now, now, now. Mad props to you and all that for not deciding that teaching stinks after only 3 years. And what you're doing is frankly terrific, in a terrific way, with terrific goals. Seriously.

But lots of other teachers have used lyrics of popular songs to reach kids. I know I have, as have at least 10 of my peers just in my one school. It's not a ground-breaking teaching technique (not that you were saying it was, of course). Sometimes it can give us a Robin Williams moment.

What you did on the Pit appeared disingenuous and self-serving (what a great teacher you are!), because you also posted the project instead of simply asking for contact info. Contact info is pretty easy to find, and it looks like you're looking for applause when you tell us what you did with your kids.

Many educators use popular lyrics to enthuse kids, but few teachers have attempted to gain access to the musician to discover if our interpretations were correct, and for the truth behind the song.

You said that personal contact from the band could go a very long way in affecting the students and perhaps that would set them down on a path of life-long learning. Frankly, that's a pretty massive burden to put on anyone, and that bothers me. Just do your admittedly fine job, but don't publicly blackmail the band into responding to you. So if a kid drops out, it's because Eddie didn't call? Let them live their lives. And remember that they NEVER discuss the "real" meaning behind any song, so you're kind of barking up the wrong tree there if you want Eddie to tell you that you're right. The beauty of the lyrics is that you partly own them when you interpret them yourself. Might want to tell the kids that, too.

He'd be glad you're getting kids to think at all, though.

Sorry if this seems unnecessarily harsh.

See, if Samuel Clemens had a website, I could have posted my PhD thesis and asked him what he really meant about Huck Finn, threatened to drop out of school if he didn't answer. You know, because it meant a LOT to me to know that he heard my interpretation and told me I was right. Then did a reading for my class. With some signed posters.

Dr. Kinetic
    When you're married, you'll understand the importance of fresh produce.
  • Frank,

I posted those numbers, public numbers by the way, becuse I do want members of PJ to contact my middle school. My students are curious to know if our interpreation of the metaphors, imagery, and mood are correct. Also, they would love to learn what prompted EV to write "Black." A personal contact from the band could go a very long way in affecting the students. Perhaps that would set them down on a path of life-long learning.

first off, you said when i had kids maybe id see things differently. i certainly wouldnt be too keen on my kids' teacher posting thier schools # and address on the web for all to see. public or not, thats just not something that you should be doing. period.

2nd, who is to say what interperation of black, or any other song, is correct? you should be teaching your students that that is the beauty of music. songs, poems, movies, etc. mean different things to different people, and nobody can tell them they are wrong. not even eddie himself. he wrote black about someone or something. but if black means something totally off the wall to some kid, thats fine too.

as far as PJ playing a personal concert in your classroom or something to that effect, not gonna happen.
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • Brokenarrow,

I always loved the sound of Even Flow...it's candy to the ears. When teachers are willing to try something new, then they start to create possibilities. I was nervous the first time I tried "Black" in my classroom. I'm glad that I did.

PS...I made sure that I thanked our school's secretaries the other day (National Secretaries' Day!)

Mr. Bruno

Nice Mr. Bruno!
    My hat is off to you as well for inspiring your students to read, think, come up with their own ideas and interpretations and feel a part of a process that gets them interested in learning.

One of the teachers at the middle school I worked at (p.s. I'm a secretary not a teacher), had his kids study the lyrics to 'Evenflow'. They were discussing the homeless crisis in America, he asked me what I thought of using a current narrative rather than just blah,blah statistics zzzzzz.....

I thought it was a great idea and the feedback was ultimately that the kids really enjoyed it, they had good ideas about the problem and it got them to think of possible solutions... (Naturally he cut out the 'fuck it up' lyric as they were only in the 8th grade also).
    He also informed them that their secretary was a GIANT Pearl Jam fan so I went up a few notches in their book! ;)

Kick ass Mr. Bruno, wish I had teachers as cool and open minded as you~

'Evenflow'
    Freezin', rests his head on a pillow made of concrete, again
    Oh, Feelin' maybe he'll see a little better, set a days, ooh yeah
    Oh, hand out, faces that he sees time again ain't that familiar, oh yeah
    Oh, dark grin, he can't help, when he's happy looks insane, oh yeah

Someday yet, he'll begin his life again Life again, life again...
    Kneelin', looking through the paper though he doesn't know to read, ooh yeah

Oh, prayin', now to something that has never showed him anything
    Oh, feelin', understands the weather of the winters on its way
    Oh, ceilings, few and far between all the legal halls of shame, yeah

Someday yet, he'll begin his life again
    Whispering hands, gently lead him away
    Him away, him away...
    Yeah!
    Woo...ah yeah...fuck it up...

Someday yet, he'll begin his life again, yeah
    Oh, whispering hands, gently lead him away
    Him away, him away...
    Yeah!
    Woo...uh huh...
    yeah, yeah, mommy, mommy...

(Hi Share!)
    Dalai Lama—To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.
  • Bumping for the Teach.
    Be Sound...
  • PS...I made sure that I thanked our school's secretaries the other day (National Secretaries' Day!)

again, pretty self serving (oh what a guy, he even thanked his secretaries!)

you SHOULD thank them almost everyday, not just because the calender dictates.
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
    Ed said thanks for the note. Your interpretation is whatever you want it to be; and he's not talking. The fun is in the ride, not the destination.
  • kinetic wrote:
    Ed said thanks for the note. Your interpretation is whatever you want it to be; and he's not talking. The fun is in the ride, not the destination.

I'm sure that I'm not the first person to ask him about his muse. Perhaps he'll still be willing to make some sort of official comment to the students.

Mr. Bruno
    I'm sure that I'm not the first person to ask him about his muse. Perhaps he'll still be willing to make some sort of official comment to the students.

Mr. Bruno
    One can always hope. But a lot of people do make similar requests and let the kids know that their hard work and thinking about words is more important than anything Ed can say, because his interpretation isn't what matters most. They should feel really positive about what you're all doing.

Pretend you did the same thing with Shakespeare. He's hard to get an answer from these days.
  • grab a shovel!
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • kinetic wrote:
    One can always hope. But a lot of people do make similar requests and let the kids know that their hard work and thinking about words is more important than anything Ed can say, because his interpretation isn't what matters most. They should feel really positive about what you're all doing.

Pretend you did the same thing with Shakespeare. He's hard to get an answer from these days.

Kinetic,

The next time I see old Billy S., I'll be sure to give him a shout out. : )

Thanks for recognizing my students' hard work. They do work hard. I stay on them like a cheap suit with respect to paying attention, correcting interpretations, and promoting understanding. What I am hoping for is if EV can make some sort of personal contact, then that will supercharge my students' motivation. When kids have that kind of fire within, then anything is possible. Aren't they worth it? Isn't the success of today's youth worth 5 minutes of EV's time?

That's all,

Mr. Bruno
  • Kinetic,

I just read your last public post. Ouch. Perhaps I can clear the air. Of course the post was a shameless plug. It has been my goal all along to try to get EV to contact the school. Even if our interpretations are wrong, I'm trying to make things better for my students. I am 100% guilty of that. I’ll admit that. And if I basked in a few feel-good moments, then...is that so bad? If the size/content of the thread gets PJ's attention, is that so bad?

I'm not trying to engage in emotional blackmail. I'm not trying to guilt them into action. I'm looking at the glass as being half empty. I'm looking at what I can do with that half-a-glass.

What if?

What if I were able to establish rapport with PJ. I'm not looking for free concert tickets. I'm not looking for dinner with the band. What if I could get EV involved in the lives of my western-Maryland students? What if we could make a difference? And, of course it's not Eddie's fault if one of my students drops out. Their lives, their choices. You took my example too far out. I'm not creating a math problem. It can't hold up to mathematical scrutiny. Instead, let's look at the possibilities. I'm in the business of saving kids. It's what teachers do. I am trying to go above and beyond what normal teachers do. Aren't the kids worth it? What if I can save one of my students from teen-pregnancy? Drug use? Emotional fragmentation? Isn't that worth it?

Dana, I lose kids every year to drug use, disillusionment, arrests, manic-depression, you name it. Teaching has the potential to force cynicism down the throats of optimists. Fifty percent of my students are on free/reduced lunches. Many of my students struggle to read/write.
    While many of them have great potential, reality is still a bitter pill to swallow here in South Hagerstown. I'm doing what I can try to reverse that downward spiral.

<<....achievement should come from what they've accomplished. It shouldn't depend in any way on Ed's reaction>>...but it does. Hear me out. Stars have the ability to sway culture. EV's contacting of my school/students would go miles with respect to rewarding their achievement. Of course children need to internalize their motivations. But that's part of the problem. Most of these kids have a hard time seeing beyond high school...and, sad to say, some won’t get out of high school.

<<Learning to feel positively about yourself should come from within, based on your own hard work, it shouldn't be further based on accolades from others.>> That's also part of the problem. Far too many of my students don't feel positively about themselves. I'm clawing in the dirt here. In the trenches of inner-city education, we are losing the battle. Contact from a supportive super-star would create hope within the tired, poor, huddled masses of today’s classrooms.

I guess that I'm just a man on a mission. In any case, stay in touch. I enjoy our sparring; I appreciate your efforts, your support, and your perspective.

Matt Bruno
  • Doh! sorry for accidental double post.

MB
  • Pretend you did the same thing with Shakespeare. He's hard to get an answer from these days.

Kinetic,

If I thought that digging up Shakespeare would make a difference in the lives of my students, I would be hopping the pond as we speak.

MB
  • everytime i open this thread i throw up a little in my mouth.
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • bird jambird jam Posts: 107
    You should play them some Joe Bonamassa and really open their minds.

Please don't stand so close to me.
    Liberace was great on the piano but he sucked on the organ.
  • KushikushunKushikushun Posts: 1,263
    Of course this isn't the first time someone has used music in the classroom. But this is the first time one of the teachers who uses Pearl Jam has ever posted on this board.

Not true...I have used PJ in the class as well. Also for15 years old and posted in the forum some months ago (the thread is gone however). And if you search for "teaching PJ" or something like that you will see a number of posts of teachers using their music in class.

I had fun teaching PJ too, but what I liked even better is that I asked the kids to bring their own favorite songtext and describe what they loved about it so much. All kinds of music came up, some music of which I do not really like...but hee they relate to that, so who am I to judge. They did not judge me for liking PJ :D

I am not an English teacher but teach something they call "Cultural and Artistic Education" in Holland. Its about all kinds of cultural expression forms and teaches the kids to see more (look better), and hear more (listen better). And hopefully adds to their general understanding of art. We watch movies, theatre, listen to music and all that kind of stuff. They write essays on it or answer questions. I also teach Fine Art in which they make the art themselves..
    I love teaching this subject, but not all of my students enjoy it. Most do however, but some think it is a waste of time...ah well, wisdom comes with age ;)

I used 'Glorified G' and 'Light Years' for my teaching. First let them read the texts and ask them what they thought it was about and what kind of music would fit the songs. Also if they thought the singer was sincere about what he was saying. Then let them hear the songs and the response to Glorified was very cool. They heard that the music was uptempo and did not fit the agressiveness of the lyrics. So, I asked them why they thought this was done. And they then understood that the songtext was meant to be ironically. After this I asked them if they thought it was a good thing bands make songs about worldly matters and they all said yes. Most of them said that it was a good thing bc musicians had a voice that can be heard and therefore may have some influence...I fell in love with those kids of course.

I then showed them "Bowling for Columbine" as a link to Glorified G. I asked what they thought about the gun-law in the US and what they thought of Micheal Moores opinion. I tried hard not to push any opinion on them, but teach them to think for themselves and more importantly have reasoning behind what they are saying. Was my best lesson so far!

Next year want to use another song from PJ..maybe Black..

Mister Bruno just want to end by saying that its great that you could inspire your kids so much! That is a really hard thing to do..I know!
    But also that I do not think that Eddie will or maybe even should explain his song. Sometimes a piece of art becomes less worthy if the meaning of the maker is different from that of the beholder! That can sometimes be dissapointing as well and I believe that is why Ed does not explain his songs. I for one feel he shouldnt! But hope for you that he responds in some way...

Kinetec, do you know Ed personally?...it sounded like you do...?? (curious now ;) )

Pff what a long post...hehe...sorry..
    Why not be mediocre and be the best at it that you can be?
  • bird jam wrote:
    You should play them some Joe Bonamassa and really open their minds.

Please don't stand so close to me.

bird jam,

I don't know Joe Bonamassa. I should do a U-Tube search on him (just not at school...we have software that blocks most music/video related sites).

Mr. Bruno
  • QuitokidQuitokid Posts: 14
    I can't believe that a teacher can do this! It's excellent I congratulate you! you have to be an excellent person I guess. your letter it's terrific!
  • Kushikushun,

I stand corrected. As a PJMP newbie, I shouldn't have taken that for granted.

I am open to having my kids bring in their own lyrics, but I fear that what most of them might bring would contain cursing....a big no-no for middle school. Be that as it may, I am open to your idea.

Your "Cultural and Artistic Education" class sounds great. I try to spin a fair amount of multi-culturalism and interdisciplinary references into the course. It mixes it up, keeping it fresh.

I really like how they are able to match the music to the sounds. I have tested Howard Gardner's waters with his approach to the 7 (now 8?) intelligences. Some kids were able to match/create an image to the lyrics of Black (Visual/Spatial intelligence). That was a lot of fun for most. Others were able to match a sound to the lyrics (auditory learners). Some came up with a tornado for, "twisted thoughts that spin around my head. I'm spinning, oh I'm spinning." That moment was gold for me. Not every child is able to learn the same way. Others cannot express well verbally. I can only hope that my approach to the kids will allow the majority to shine. Traditional/old school English classes only favored the verbal/linguistic intelligence. I'm willing to try non-traditional approaches. So far, it seems to work.

I, too, hope that Eddie responds in some way. And even if he can't/won't explain his muse behind "Black," it would be gold if he could recognize that children, properly motivated, are willing to try. Despite having cards stacked against them, my kids are working. They are thinking. They are my little seeds. I know that he has to respect that. Both Eddie and I have young daughters. I can only imagine that he would want his daughter to have the kind of teacher who can inspire children. We both have hope for the future. A few (official) kinds words from him would be the sunshine and rain needed to transform those young seeds into beautiful flowers. We all want them to blossom.

Matt Bruno
  • Quitokid wrote:
    I can't believe that a teacher can do this! It's excellent I congratulate you! you have to be an excellent person I guess. your letter it's terrific!

You are too kind. Thanks for your support.

Mr. Bruno
  • cerise999cerise999 Posts: 1
    yeah, this guy is obviously a really smart teach with posting his schools address and phone number on the web for all to see..

especially with all the lunatics shooting up classrooms these days.

and it's not always the students doing the shooting (as in most recent example, just 1-1/2 weeks ago) ...anyone remember the 9 little girls that got blown away in that Amish schoolroom just 7 months ago, by a guy that lived in the near vicinity? it is absolutely irresponsible to post that info in the current social climate. i'll bet the administrators of Maryland Teacher's school/school district would agree. i'll bet at any given time, on this board, there are at least 1 or 2 people who are unstable enough to misinterpret his post as an affront to the band (for whatever insane reason) and start forming some pretty weird conclusions in their mind. just some food for thought. where children are concerned, it is ALWAYS best to err on the side of safety. wouldn't it have been better to forward that info to the moderators of this board and keep it off the internet completely? of course it would have.

cerise.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    ledbetteroregon,

Goosebumps, eh? I don't think you fully realize the depth of the compliment you gave me.

I wish I had a live version on DvD...I would love to share that, so long as it had no cursing....can't do that. ; )

Oh, Captain, my captain!
    ( I'm standing on the table) ;)

Pearl Jam live at the garden ! But almost every Bootleg has a great live version ! Sometimes Ed Vedder add some improved lyrics at the end...sometimes they are more optimist but they also can be very pessimist. It's kind of bi-polar.
    Here's what they add in Vienna: I dreamt to you, Where ever you are tonight, I dreamt to you, I'm having a better time than you are tonight, Where ever you are , where ever you are, Fucked up when you let me, Fucked up when you lost me, could'nt be you, couldn't be you, could have been you !
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.
  • luxpjamerluxpjamer Posts: 837
    Not true...I have used PJ in the class as well. Also for15 years old and posted in the forum some months ago (the thread is gone however). And if you search for "teaching PJ" or something like that you will see a number of posts of teachers using their music in class.

I had fun teaching PJ too, but what I liked even better is that I asked the kids to bring their own favorite songtext and describe what they loved about it so much. All kinds of music came up, some music of which I do not really like...but hee they relate to that, so who am I to judge. They did not judge me for liking PJ :D

I am not an English teacher but teach something they call "Cultural and Artistic Education" in Holland. Its about all kinds of cultural expression forms and teaches the kids to see more (look better), and hear more (listen better). And hopefully adds to their general understanding of art. We watch movies, theatre, listen to music and all that kind of stuff. They write essays on it or answer questions. I also teach Fine Art in which they make the art themselves..
    I love teaching this subject, but not all of my students enjoy it. Most do however, but some think it is a waste of time...ah well, wisdom comes with age ;)

I used 'Glorified G' and 'Light Years' for my teaching. First let them read the texts and ask them what they thought it was about and what kind of music would fit the songs. Also if they thought the singer was sincere about what he was saying. Then let them hear the songs and the response to Glorified was very cool. They heard that the music was uptempo and did not fit the agressiveness of the lyrics. So, I asked them why they thought this was done. And they then understood that the songtext was meant to be ironically. After this I asked them if they thought it was a good thing bands make songs about worldly matters and they all said yes. Most of them said that it was a good thing bc musicians had a voice that can be heard and therefore may have some influence...I fell in love with those kids of course.

I then showed them "Bowling for Columbine" as a link to Glorified G. I asked what they thought about the gun-law in the US and what they thought of Micheal Moores opinion. I tried hard not to push any opinion on them, but teach them to think for themselves and more importantly have reasoning behind what they are saying. Was my best lesson so far!

Next year want to use another song from PJ..maybe Black..

Mister Bruno just want to end by saying that its great that you could inspire your kids so much! That is a really hard thing to do..I know!
    But also that I do not think that Eddie will or maybe even should explain his song. Sometimes a piece of art becomes less worthy if the meaning of the maker is different from that of the beholder! That can sometimes be dissapointing as well and I believe that is why Ed does not explain his songs. I for one feel he shouldnt! But hope for you that he responds in some way...

Kinetec, do you know Ed personally?...it sounded like you do...?? (curious now ;) )

Pff what a long post...hehe...sorry..

When I was at the school for medical professions we had to speak about bad and good habits and we had to make a little work about that or showing some stuff to our class. So I didn't want to make great efforts and brought No Code and played "Habit". I tought that so we can start to speak about what they are singing about. My Teacher was someone who always speaked very quite and who was shoked very quick...so did she after a few seconds of the playing :D and nobody understood what eddy was singing so we couldn't talk at all. No work for me exept playing one song. That was too funny
    Beavis : Is this Pearl Jam?
    Butt-head: This guy makes faces like Eddie Vedder.
    Beavis: No, Eddie Vedder makes faces like this guy.
    Butt-head: I heard these guys, like, came first and Pearl Jam ripped them off.
    Beavis: No, Pearl Jam came first.
    Butt-head: Well, they both suck.