Open Letter to Mr. Vedder

Comments

• Derrick,

I agree. PJ is willing to explore the dark side of life. Look at Alive and Jeremy, for example.

I'm glad that you enjoyed my analysis. I can only hope that PJ likes it as well.

Thanks for your support,

Mr. Bruno
    Dalai Lama—To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.
  • chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    Derrick wrote:
    Absolutely Brilliant. Bravo. Bravo.

EDIT: If you are going to tackle any more of PJ's lyrics for poetic analysis, I think you will see a God/Jesus/Religious connection in many songs. They will be direct (God's Dice) or indirect (Given to Fly). He also touches on the devil (Satan's bed) briefly and there are many themes of redemption.

I have often considered PJ the world's most unintentional Christian band. Not in the sense that they are "RAH RAH GOD IS GOOD" but moreso in that they are not afraid to comment or reflect on faith/religion while still allowing the audience to formulate their own opinion of what's going on.

Have fun,
    Derrick

i dunno about it being religious as in church and worship.
    in my opinion.
    it feels to me more of a, being centered within yourself.
    a more being one with the mother earth/universe.
    a more balance in ones soul.
    earthly tenderness.
    not in a church.
    PJ writings are inspired by the mother earth, love, stars, trees, ocean,
    wrong, and right, and war, and life, ect.
    PJ is a rather large tree with limbs branching out into different feelings of life.
    although the universe is god.
    the universe is everything.
    this is how i see it.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Two BirdsTwo Birds Posts: 256
    Two Birds,

Your kind words inspire me. We all want to feel that we can make a difference. Through teaching, I hope to fulfill that destiny. Wouldn't it be a dream-come-true if we could get PJ to contact my school and answer my students' questions about "Black?"

Mr. Bruno

Good Luck!!
    Peace,
    wauw...you really are an inspiring teacher

xmoniquex,

Thanks. I'm glad to see that so many fellow bloggers enjoy teachers who are willing to take a literary risk. That, and reviewing "Black" was just that much fun!

Mr. Bruno
    Dalai Lama—To say that humility is an essential ingredient in our pursuit of spiritual transformation may seem to be at odds with what I have said about the need for confidence. But there is clearly a distinction to be made between valid confidence or self-esteem, and conceit - which we can describe as an inflated sense of importance, grounded in a false image of self.
  • Chadwick,

What I see about PJ, especially "Black," is that the band isn't afraid to confront very down to earth, painful events. They are willing to explore the darker, more painful side of existence.

I have to respect that.

Mr. Bruno

chadwick wrote:
    in my opinion.
    earthly tenderness.
    not in a church.
    PJ is a rather large tree with limbs branching out into different feelings of life.
    this is how i see it.
  • i think tht teaching black was a great move.

i am a trainee teacher. i dont think the curriculum would let me use pearl jam, im a history teacher, so would use masters of war, army reserve, etc..
    how do you/did you get around the 'c'word?

also, i think the kids in my school would not be that open minded to listen to a pj song. maybe if ed did a hip hop version..lol

just a suggestion..thumbing my way could be a really good follow up to black...

I have not been home since you left long ago
    Im thumbing my way back to heaven
    Counting steps, walking backwards on the road
    Im counting my way back to heaven
    I cant be free with whats locked inside of me
    If there was a key, you took it in your hand
    Theres no wrong or right, but Im sure theres good and bad
    The questions linger overhead
    No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead
    I wish that I could hold you
    I wish that I had
    Thinking bout heaven
    I let go of a rope, thinking thats what held me back
    And in time Ive realized, its now wrapped around my neck
    I cant see whats next, from this lonely overpass
    Hang my head and count my steps, as another car goes past
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives
    Choosing the shiny ones instead
    I turned my back, now theres no turning back
    No matter how cold the winter, theres a springtime ahead
    I smile, but who am I kidding?
    Im just walking the miles, every once in a while Ill get a ride
    Thumbing my way back to heaven
    Im thumbing my way back to heaven...

also, i would be tempted to use immortality, perhaps for older students? i would use it to set pretext for teaching kurt cobain's murder theory as a focus for a debate class, which uses a lot of historical skills...but the bastards wld nt let me!

Vacate is the word...vengeance has no place so near to her
    Cannot find the comfort in this world
    Artificial tear...vessel stabbed...next up, volunteers
    Vulnerable, wisdom cant adhere...

A truant finds home...and I wish to hold on...
    But theres a trapdoor in the sun...immortality...

As privileged as a whore...victims in demand for public show
    Swept out through the cracks beneath the door
    Holier than thou, how?
    Surrendered...executed anyhow
    Scrawl dissolved, cigar box on the floor...

A truant finds home...and I wish to hold on, too...
    But saw the trapdoor in the sun...

Immortality...
    I cannot stop the thought...Im running in the dark...
    Coming up a which way sign...all good truants must decide...
    Oh, stripped and sold, mom...auctioned forearm...
    And whiskers in the sink...
    Truants move on...cannot stay long
    Some die just to live... ohh...

i agree with wht u say about teaching being in your bones...keep up the good fight xx
  • DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    chadwick wrote:
    in my opinion.
    earthly tenderness.
    not in a church.
    this is how i see it.

I don't think I used the words "church" nor "worship" (and those omissions were intentional). I am not talking about the inspiration for the songs nor am I talking about what the songs feel like. Please do not misinterpret my post.

I will say, that in a surprising number of songs, there are direct or indirect references to biblical figures...commenting on how those figures affect one's self or society.

Here are a few examples:
    - Pilate
    - Given to Fly (strong references to Jesus)
    - God's Dice
    - Red Mosquito (visit from the devil)
    - Faithfull (the man upstairs is used to all this noise)
    - Tremor Christ
    - Thumbing my way
    - Unemployable (Jesus saves)
    - Push me, pull me (If there were no angels, would there be no sin?)
    - No Way (let's call in an angel)
    - Down (Redemption in a huge way)
    - Glorified G (smug remark at those who justify things with "it's ok because they love God")
    - Not for you (why bother reference Muhammad?)

Anyways, that's a short list of the type of song I'm talking about. They don't preach bibilical figures and themes, but they sure do reference them a lot.
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    i am a trainee teacher. i dont think the curriculum would let me use pearl jam, im a history teacher, so would use masters of war, army reserve, etc..
    how do you/did you get around the 'c'word?

what "c" word? sorry--I can only think of one "c" word and have never seen it in a PJ song.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Given to Fly's Jesus reference is questionable. If you want it to be Jesus then it could fit the mold nicely but I opt for a reference to one of Plato's allagories. (did I spell that right?). What would be neat would be to read the allagory of the cave (plato) and briefly discuss the parts of the bible that could relate to the song and have kids make their own interpretations.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • clairenordon,

You have to be able to tie your subject matter to your objectives. So long as you can do that, you should be safe. One word of caution, though. If you use a song, you must ensure that the lyrics have no potty-mouth. Using materials that contain curse words is a sure way to get into hot water.

You could easily use Black in a Social Studies setting. If Black deals with loss, couldn’t you relate that to Hurricane Katrina? What about Jeremy for Columbine High School?

In that respect, you are only limited by your creativity.

And yes, since rock is on the decline with most teens, and since rap is popular, you could use some of the lyrics of Lose Yourself. Those lyrics deal with a young man's struggle to find his reason for being.

Thanks again,

Mr. Bruno
    Derrick wrote:
    I don't think I used the words "church" nor "worship" (and those omissions were intentional). I am not talking about the inspiration for the songs nor am I talking about what the songs feel like. Please do not misinterpret my post.

I will say, that in a surprising number of songs, there are direct or indirect references to biblical figures...commenting on how those figures affect one's self or society.

Here are a few examples:
    - Pilate
    - Given to Fly (strong references to Jesus)
    - God's Dice
    - Red Mosquito (visit from the devil)
    - Faithfull (the man upstairs is used to all this noise)
    - Tremor Christ
    - Thumbing my way
    - Unemployable (Jesus saves)
    - Push me, pull me (If there were no angels, would there be no sin?)
    - No Way (let's call in an angel)
    - Down (Redemption in a huge way)
    - Glorified G (smug remark at those who justify things with "it's ok because they love God")
    - Not for you (why bother reference Muhammad?)

Anyways, that's a short list of the type of song I'm talking about. They don't preach bibilical figures and themes, but they sure do reference them a lot.

thank you for pointing this out to me.
    i misinterpreted your thoughts.
    i respect your responce.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • BaxAbbyBaxAbby Posts: 2
    Mr. Bruno, are you married?? I bet a number of the ladies in this message pit would marry you in a heartbeat.
  • BaxAbby wrote:
    Mr. Bruno, are you married?? I bet a number of the ladies in this message pit would marry you in a heartbeat.

<blush>

: )
    BaxAbby wrote:

go get em tiger.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • McShadeMcShade Posts: 156
    This was a great read. thanks for sharing!

I'd say your students must enjoy your class and having you as a teacher.
  • Bumping for the world's best teacher!
    Be Sound...
  • Bumping for the world's best teacher!

You're the best!

: )

She really is...really!
  • yeah, this guy is obviously a really smart teach with posting his schools address and phone number on the web for all to see..

christ towel yourselves off poeple, and come up for some air in between the verbal fellatios. im sure this isnt the first time someone has used *gasp* music in the classroom
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • yeah, this guy is obviously a really smart teach with posting his schools address and phone number on the web for all to see..

christ towel yourselves off poeple, and come up for some air in between the verbal fellatios. im sure this isnt the first time someone has used *gasp* music in the classroom

Of course this isn't the first time someone has used music in the classroom. But this is the first time one of the teachers who uses Pearl Jam has ever posted on this board.
    Be Sound...
  • Of course this isn't the first time someone has used music in the classroom. But this is the first time one of the teachers who uses Pearl Jam has ever posted on this board.

well then when im a teacher, im gonna come and post here about using PJ in the classroom so then everyone can suck me off too.

its cool, but c'mon. lets not get crazy here.

and as far as using GTF, im sure "well fuckers we still stand" is a great song choice for 8th graders :\
    www.myspace.com/pitheory
  • well then when im a teacher, im gonna come and post here about using PJ in the classroom so then everyone can suck me off too.

and as far as using GTF, im sure "well fuckers we still stand" is a great song choice for 8th graders :\

May I ask why you are so hostile about this?
    Be Sound...
  • DontGotIDDontGotID Posts: 136
    wow. You are my hero. Can you come to East Hampton, NY and become my teacher?
    well then when im a teacher, im gonna come and post here about using PJ in the classroom so then everyone can suck me off too.

doorknob cranky frank.
    chill out.
    marylandteacher is a decent dude.
    you on the other hand, i dont know if you are in his class.

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,069
    yeah, this guy is obviously a really smart teach with posting his schools address and phone number on the web for all to see..

Two words, Frank: SERENITY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:p
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • DontGotID wrote:
    wow. You are my hero. Can you come to East Hampton, NY and become my teacher?

DontGotId,

Thanks for your compliments. Overall, the support and admiration that I have received on this BBS is wonderful. I'm proud that a good portion of the PJ community has welcomed me with open arms.

I'm just glad to be able to share what I am doing. My only hope is that PJ sees the thread and contacts my school. My kids are anxious to learn Eddie's motivation behind Black. Also, they want to know if our analysis of the metaphors, imagery, and symbolism within Black is accurate. So far, no one has really taken issue with my analysis, and that feels like a good thing.

Frank, what I am trying to do is to spark children. Didn't you have a teacher back in middle school/high school whom you remember as having inspired you? That's all I'm trying to do, and I think the members of this blog realize that. Isn't it worth that? Aren't the lives of today's ' children worth that? That's all were getting excited about. We're building momentum.

Mr. Bruno
  • moeaholicmoeaholic Posts: 536
    Frank, what I am trying to do is to spark children. Didn't you have a teacher back in middle school/high school whom you remember as having inspired you? That's all I'm trying to do, and I think the members of this blog realize that. Isn't it worth that? Aren't the lives of today's ' children worth that? That's all were getting excited about. We're building momentum.

Mr. Bruno

mr. hand,

i know frank, and he's not complaining about what you're doing. he's just having a run at people here who are driven to tears over you playing a song in your classroom. props to you for getting your kids eager to learn, but it's not earth shaking, you dig? i suggest you try the same experiment but use a nickelback or creed song and then post about it. i'd bet the farm you'd have a completely different reaction.

sincerely,
    jeff spicoli

p.s.
    just having a laugh with the 'fast times at ridgemont high' references.
    "PC Load Letter?! What the fuck does that mean?"
    ~Michael Bolton
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    May I ask why you are so hostile about this?

that's how he is :)
    he's harmless though.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • moeaholic wrote:
    mr. hand,

i know frank, and he's not complaining about what you're doing. he's just having a run at people here who are driven to tears over you playing a song in your classroom. props to you for getting your kids eager to learn, but it's not earth shaking, you dig? i suggest you try the same experiment but use a nickelback or creed song and then post about it. i'd bet the farm you'd have a completely different reaction.

sincerely,
    jeff spicoli

p.s.
    just having a laugh with the 'fast times at ridgemont high' references.

Jeff,

Funny that you should mention Fast Times...it was one of my favorite movies in high school. I always liked the way that Mr. Hand got Jeff Spicoli to become a real student. In fact, he forced Spicoli to repay those hours that Spicoli wasted in class. In the end, it was worth it. And while Fast Times was funny, what some of my students face ona day-to-day basis isn't funny: arrests, drug use, fragmented home lives, etc.

While getting kids to learn might not be earth shaking to you, what about the one kid whom I spark? What about his/her parents? What if I keep one kid off of drugs, away from gangs, etc? Isn't it earth shaking for them? Frank's languishing seems out of proportion to my post. Perhaps when he has children of his own, he may see things differently.

In the mean time, using creed/nickleback really sounds great. Now you've got me thinking. : )

Ciao for now,

Mr. Bruno

Frank,

I posted those numbers, public numbers by the way, becuse I do want members of PJ to contact my middle school. My students are curious to know if our interpreation of the metaphors, imagery, and mood are correct. Also, they would love to learn what prompted EV to write "Black." A personal contact from the band could go a very long way in affecting the students. Perhaps that would set them down on a path of life-long learning.

Mr. Bruno
  • McShade wrote:
    This was a great read. thanks for sharing!

I'd say your students must enjoy your class and having you as a teacher.

McShade,

Love the name, by the way. My students do seem to enjoy my classes. Which isn't to say that I don't face the occasional outburst of defiance, anger, or drama. If I didn't, then it wouldn't be the 8th grade.

But I can say that I am having a tons of fun in the classes. The students get me and keep me laughing, and I return the favor. Next year will be my 4th year, and I still love it.