Thoughts on current tour

1235»

Comments

• JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    Agreed. I understand some of the criticisms and concerns, but they are largely nice problems to have given the alternatives. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,322
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    The EV solo song is where it is because it gives the rest of the band a full ten-minute break.
    Thus i said take an extra 5.  I know why it's there and it shouldn't be.  They aren't flirting with curfew timers as I explained.
    You want the show to stop for ten full minutes? They're not going to do that. And crowds would not like it.

You're making an assumption about curfews. They could be playing past 11 p.m. curfews and paying the fines and overtime. Or the curfew in some places could be 11:15 p.m.
    Tool has an Intermission clock. It's like 15 minutes. It's fine.  Also breaking curfew is like a 25,000 penalty. They didn't fork over 250k in place of just starting 15 minutes earlier. Be logical
    "Or the curfew in some places could be 11:15 p.m." Or 11:30 p.m.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    edited June 3
    pjl44 said:
    2.5 hour shows with an opener is more than reasonable bang for your buck
    If they have an opener you should be expecting about 2.5 hours and mid-20s in number of songs, and it's an album tour so expect plenty of songs from current album. Nothing different than prior tours with openers. And yeah, Deep Sea Diver put on an awesome show (don't think they mixed up their setlists - WAH!).
    Deep Sea Diver did change their set lists. They always played nine songs in 45 minutes, but it wasn't always the same songs or the songs in the same order. They started out playing the new song "Shovel" third in the set, then moved it to second-to-last. At earlier shows, they played "Shattering the Hourglass" from Impossible Weight. Then they dropped that and played "You Go Running" from an earlier album (Secrets, I think). They also played "Billboard Heart" at one show.

Openers are usually limited in what they can do because they are locked into a window-- in DSD's case, 7:30-8:15 p.m.-- but this one actually did play around with the set a little bit over the course of the ten shows.

Post edited by BF25394 on
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,516
    I think I'm destined to not hear much of Gigaton live.   We got Quick Escape in Vancouver, but I think it's one of the 3 I got at the Oakland 22 shows (of which we didn't get much Gigaton, due to the drummer situation). I suppose it will most likely hold the record for least songs heard live on a PJ album.

I can see why they skip though.  23 to 25 songs.  8 or 9 from Dark Matter.  15ish other songs, covering 12 albums, bsides, covers etc.    Need to play some hits to get the crowd going after that many new songs.  It's not much breathing room to dig deep in the catalog.
  • Planet of SoundPlanet of Sound Posts: 623
    aurynsdad said:
    I never could have dreamed that as its members hit 60 years old, my favorite band would be a) releasing fantastic albums and b) touring in strong form. I'm happy as can be. This won't last forever.
    1000 x this, couldn’t have put it better.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:
    If they have an opener you should be expecting about 2.5 hours and mid-20s in number of songs, and it's an album tour so expect plenty of songs from current album. Nothing different than prior tours with openers. And yeah, Deep Sea Diver put on an awesome show (don't think they mixed up their setlists - WAH!).
    Deep Sea Diver did change their set lists. They always played nine songs in 45 minutes, but it wasn't always the same songs or the songs in the same order. They started out playing the new song "Shovel" third in the set, then moved it to second-to-last. At earlier shows, they played "Shattering the Hourglass" from Impossible Weight. Then they dropped that and played "You Go Running" from an earlier album (Secrets, I think). They also played "Billboard Heart" at one show.

Openers are usually limited in what they can do because they are locked into a window-- in DSD's case, 7:30-8:15 p.m.-- but this one actually did play around with the set a little bit over the course of the ten shows.

I was just kidding around. They are awesome and part of my collection now. 😎🎸
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:

Me too. I just received the CD that I had ordered from their Bandcamp last week. I have not been able to find their first two albums.
    Zod said:
    I think I'm destined to not hear much of Gigaton live.   We got Quick Escape in Vancouver, but I think it's one of the 3 I got at the Oakland 22 shows (of which we didn't get much Gigaton, due to the drummer situation). I suppose it will most likely hold the record for least songs heard live on a PJ album.

I can see why they skip though.  23 to 25 songs.  8 or 9 from Dark Matter.  15ish other songs, covering 12 albums, bsides, covers etc.    Need to play some hits to get the crowd going after that many new songs.  It's not much breathing room to dig deep in the catalog.
    In retrospect, do you wish you had come south for Ohana in 2021? Or for the San Diego or L.A. shows in 2022?
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:

Me too. I just received the CD that I had ordered from their Bandcamp last week. I have not been able to find their first two albums.
    Kidding aside, yeah they switched up the setlist Vegas 1 to Vegas 2. They have 3 albums on Apple Music.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    pjl44 said:

Kidding aside, yeah they switched up the setlist Vegas 1 to Vegas 2. They have 3 albums on Apple Music.
    I don't have any streaming subscriptions.
  • Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 315
    I thought DSD was a great opener.  Crisp, tight, and they fit in the mold of a band that should be opening for PJ.  Not thrilled about Glen H for one of my summer shows, but it is what it is.  

And I’ll add that when I took my kids to Wrigley in 2018, I commented that I had no idea if or when we’d see them again (you just never know).  To have now been to 4 shows since then, and 6 years later they actually sound better…it’s so awesome.  My first two shows this tour were so good, I’m thinking of extending my Indy trip and going to Wrigley again.  I would have never envisioned that prior to the album coming out.
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • ekwiptekwipt Posts: 527
    Made the mistake of putting these up in the basement already and now they’re talking to me. “Just one more show. Let’s go to Montana”
    😂
  • HaijayHaijay Posts: 374
    Just do it, gonna be sooooooo good👍👍

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,520
    pjl44 said:
    Every dollar should matter when setting a budget, that was my point. 
  • Original_ShiftyOriginal_Shifty Posts: 334
    ekwipt said:
    Made the mistake of putting these up in the basement already and now they’re talking to me. “Just one more show. Let’s go to Montana”
    😂
    Btw
    2011: Vancouver
    2013: LA 1 & LA 2, Vancouver
    2018: Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
    2022: LA 1 & LA 2
    2024: Vancouver 1 & Vancouver 2, Portland, Seattle 1 & Seattle 2
  • jhager79jhager79 Posts: 246
    LA N2 was my 22 show and only one for this tour so far and I was impressed. New songs are fantastic and the band seems to be energized. Definitely better than Gigaton shows I went to ( Hamilton and Toronto) which just seemed to have no energy especially Hamilton.
    [img][/img]Kitchener2005
    Toronto 2003
    Toronto 2000
    Barrie 1998
    Toronto 1993
    London 2005

Toronto 2006 May 9/10
    Toronto 2009
    Toronto Sept 11/12 2011
    London 2013
    Detroit 2014
    Toronto 2016 May 10/12
    Chicago 2018 N2
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead"
    pjl44 said:
    Every dollar should matter when setting a budget, that was my point. 
    If you had any idea how literally I adhered to "every dollar matters" for this run of shows, you would have me committed. My extraneous expenses (i.e., not for show tickets, flights, lodging, rental car expenses or gas-- and I only had to pay for lodging in Seattle) totaled about $100.00. Most of that went to buying dinner for each of the friends I stayed with in Vegas and Vancouver. I had a car at every show except Portland and my total cost for parking for the other nine shows was $5.00. I stayed within my budget by $49.02.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    ^ hhmmmm. Not me. I just seem to have good money Karma. seems like every time I spend a whack, I get another dump of it :i_dunno:
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,156
    Haijay said:
    Just do it, gonna be sooooooo good👍👍

• joseph33joseph33 Washington DC Posts: 1,247
    Spunkie said:
    ^ hhmmmm. Not me. I just seem to have good money Karma. seems like every time I spend a whack, I get another dump of it :i_dunno: Teach me your ways?😆