Options

Thoughts on current tour

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,238
    They should be anti-genocide. Just as a general rule.

You wanna talk genocide, please read Geddy Lee’s book, perhaps twice, then we’ll talk. Nothing like that is going on now in this topic.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    11 shows and they still played 99 different songs. 

For reference, Guns N' Roses have been on tour since 2016 and still haven't hit that number after 300+ shows. 
    That is why Pearl Jam is the best live band on the planet right now. I'm just saying they should lean into it. They have enough hits for 2 nights.

They certainly have their strengths. Their limiting of cover songs helps bring them closer to that level, but there is no way a cover performance in any manner can compete with an elite performer playing their own music.

Their use of shadows projected onto the screen during Why Go sea N2 was excellent. As was their use of rising sun or moon or whatever that was during Black. I much prefer a light visual show with immersive lasers and colors, because that brings a greater percentage of the audience into the show, and really flows with the music, than just a projection screen, which is really only for the audience with a direct or near direct view to be an elite production. The Tool visuals earlier this year were next level stunning, but the night I was off to the side a bit, I’d never would have known that. Needed to be fairly straight on for the full impact of the rear screen. Since I’ll need to wait until late summer for PJs three or so allocated locations to their most popular and populated region to see what they achieved that with their new look, I’ll need to wait to reserve final judgement : )
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,176
    They should be anti-genocide. Just as a general rule.
    Wrong forum…you’re lost 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,507
    Wish they would at least read the rocket instructions prior to using hitech US Weapons… seams like they aren’t calibrated proper or maybe that’s just a rouse

look like fools

hamas sux
    so does that pc of shit running Israel and his right wing morons 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 28,041
    They sound good, they seem to be enjoying themselves on stage, the backdrop is cool.  I just don’t like setting sun ending every show and the scared of fear to dark matter run.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,506
    Only complaint is more Won’t Tell and Got to Give
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 298
    Seconded!
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 485
    Hankj25 said:
    Seconded!
    They’re great! (More Ghost too please 😂)
  • Options
    PinoyPJPinoyPJ Los Angeles, CA Posts: 239
    shows been great! even with less number of songs.... they still find a way to make us "woah, haven't heard that one in a while" and hoping they continue till they Rolling Stones ages?!/
    ride amongst the waves...
  • Options
    black tattooblack tattoo Posts: 28
    I’m loving the live streams I’ve managed to see so far! Laura is a legend! 
    Looking forward to November in Melb n1. 
    Hoping to snag a ticket to the Goldy gig closer to time. 
    Just putting it out there, Garden has only been played three times in Australia. So I’d love to hear this live! Yet I’ll take anything they play! I have no wish list but to have the money to get to as many gigs as I can! 
    Given that it’s been a while, looking forward to hearing stuff off new album & gigaton (yep I like it). 

Peace love and mung beans baby!
     Australia, Melbourne 17/03/1995, 02/03/1998, 19/02/2003, 13/11/2006, 20/11/2009 and ...
  • Options
    tylermooretylermoore St. Joseph, MI Posts: 903
    Either way, no love for Lightning Bolt (the song OR the Album) on this leg and idk how i feel about it
    In Seattle too, not one Gigaton song right? Except River Cross. Which was an Ed song. Not that I was terribly upset, just surprised since they hadn’t played there since it was out. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,906
    edited June 2
    Either way, no love for Lightning Bolt (the song OR the Album) on this leg and idk how i feel about it
    In Seattle too, not one Gigaton song right? Except River Cross. Which was an Ed song. Not that I was terribly upset, just surprised since they hadn’t played there since it was out. 

Wow that is a shocker. 
  • Options
    jonbond1779jonbond1779 London, UK Posts: 1,605
    OK - so I wanna get a bootleg from this tour, but where they have the best Dark Matter performances - any recommendations? 
    "Bring it back, to the clean form. To the pure form"

28/09/04 - Boston, 20/04/06 - London [\\mm//Astoria\\mm//] - 18/06/07 - Wembley Arena, 11/08/09 -  London [\\mm//Shepherds Bush Empire\\mm//],18/08/09 - 02 Arena, 25/06/10 - Hyde Park, 26/06/12 - Amsterdam, 27/06/12 - Amsterdam, 08/07/14 - Leeds,11/07/14 - Milton Keynes, 13/06/18 - Amsterdam, 18/06/18 - London 02 Arena, 17/07/18 - London 02 Arena, 08/08/22 - Hyde Park, 9/08/22 - Hyde Park - 25/08/22 - Amsterdam, 29/07/24 - London {*Tottenham Stadium TBC*}
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,733
    OK - so I wanna get a bootleg from this tour, but where they have the best Dark Matter performances - any recommendations? 
    Get a nugs subscription, then you don’t have to pick. It’s worth it.
  • Options
    JB221794JB221794 Posts: 7
    Hankj25 said:
    Seconded!
    Thirded !  Really wanted at least one to show up in Seattle.
  • Options
    bootlegbootleg Posts: 626
    To me repeating 9 songs in a 2 night is a little bit of a let down.  And I’ve never heard these songs before so it’s only the first times seeing them but after the first night I was definitely less excited to hear them the next night especially since I knew they were coming.  The whole allure of going to multiple shows is you never know what you are going to get.

As far as the screen goes, to me it doesn’t add a whole lot and after the novelty of seeing it the first night I didn’t watch it once the second night.  I’d much rather see a close up of Mike shredding for 5 min straight behind his head than a few lasers, and waves.  Setting Sun has the most interesting visuals which is unfortunately why they have probably decided to close with it every night.  Again I like to be surprised even if it’s been a small rotation over the last few years.

Third, ticket prices and traveling is freaking expensive.  Maybe it’s because I haven’t really traveled a whole lot since Covid but it’s not cheap.   Grateful I can afford it and normally I would be looking to add more shows but the cost plus the set list formula does detract me from trying to go to more.
  • Options
    seanwonseanwon Posts: 304
    JB221794 said:
    Hankj25 said:
    Seconded!
    Thirded !  Really wanted at least one to show up in Seattle.
    Fourthded!
    1996: 9/29 Randall's Island 2,  10/1 Buffalo                  2000: 8/27 Saratoga Springs
    2003: 4/29 Albany,  5/2 Buffalo,  7/9 MSG 2                   2006: 5/12 Albany,  6/3 East Rutherford 2
    2008: 6/27 Hartford                 2009: 10/27 Philadelphia 1              2010: 5/15 Hartford,   5/21 MSG 2
    2013: 10/15 Worcester 1,  10/25 Hartford                       2014: 10/1 Cincinnati
    2016: 5/2 MSG 2,   8/5 Fenway 1,  11/7 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2018: 9/2 Fenway 1
    2020: 3/30 MSG             2022: 9/11 MSG            2023: 9/10 Noblesville
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,058
    bootleg said:
    To me repeating 9 songs in a 2 night is a little bit of a let down.  And I’ve never heard these songs before so it’s only the first times seeing them but after the first night I was definitely less excited to hear them the next night especially since I knew they were coming.  The whole allure of going to multiple shows is you never know what you are going to get.

As far as the screen goes, to me it doesn’t add a whole lot and after the novelty of seeing it the first night I didn’t watch it once the second night.  I’d much rather see a close up of Mike shredding for 5 min straight behind his head than a few lasers, and waves.  Setting Sun has the most interesting visuals which is unfortunately why they have probably decided to close with it every night.  Again I like to be surprised even if it’s been a small rotation over the last few years.

Third, ticket prices and traveling is freaking expensive.  Maybe it’s because I haven’t really traveled a whole lot since Covid but it’s not cheap.   Grateful I can afford it and normally I would be looking to add more shows but the cost plus the set list formula does detract me from trying to go to more.
    All good points. 
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    bootleg said:

All good points. 

They are. They spent their career building “their thing” immersed into a crowd completely surrounded by fans and they were very good at bringing the show to the entire crowd. Now it seems Ed really wants to try the Sphere (based on the screen and his crowd poll about traveling to Bottlerock and turning to the band “see they all travel here”). Talk about expensive tickets, being a mile from the stage and burning carbon, hello Vegas! 

Let’s face it, I’ll love the show when it gets to the east. Five new tunes would be plenty. As would packing in an extra five thousand fans per night (instead of that weirdly shaped screen) especially if their touring to all of our towns is going to get cut by turning into a residency band.
  • Options
    OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 677
    I would rather see more close ups of the band members than the light show. Isn't that why we all clamor for closer seats, and are always looking for upgrades and GA, to see the band as close as possible? To get more nuance, facial expressions, emotional connection, etc.
    They are working their asses off up there, but you definitely lose some of that with distance.
    I guess the visuals bring them more up to date with some of the cutting edge Sphere-like production. I get that they would want to incorporate something current into the show.
    Since they are using the screen, maybe a little more band viisuals in the mix?
  • Options
    thomascbullockthomascbullock Posts: 381
    spankyMP said:
    Anyone complaining about the teleprompter is clearly under 40. Also, wtf cares? How does it affect the show in any way other than Ed actually singing the right lyrics?
    Teleprompter is a good thing. As great as the Austin shows were last year and how great Ed sounded, he flubbed a lot of lyrics...a lot :)
    Yes I would like to hear Save You with a teleprompter next time.
  • Options
    pjcampjcam Posts: 59
    -LA N1 
    -Seattle N2 
    -Vancouver N2 
  • Options
    I dont have a lot of thoughts other than these shows have all looked awesome and i'm pumped for everyone that got to go to one/some and i can't wait to see what the tour looks like when my time comes up in Indy and Chicago:)
  • Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,328
    edited June 3
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    The EV solo song is where it is because it gives the rest of the band a full ten-minute break.
    Thus i said take an extra 5.  I know why it's there and it shouldn't be.  They aren't flirting with curfew timers as I explained.
    You want the show to stop for ten full minutes? They're not going to do that. And crowds would not like it.

You're making an assumption about curfews. They could be playing past 11 p.m. curfews and paying the fines and overtime. Or the curfew in some places could be 11:15 p.m.
    Tool has an Intermission clock. It's like 15 minutes. It's fine.  Also breaking curfew is like a 25,000 penalty. They didn't fork over 250k in place of just starting 15 minutes earlier. Be logical
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
  • Options
    Another CloneAnother Clone Posts: 22
    No Gigaton in either Vegas show either
  • Options
    edited June 3
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    The EV solo song is where it is because it gives the rest of the band a full ten-minute break.
    Thus i said take an extra 5.  I know why it's there and it shouldn't be.  They aren't flirting with curfew timers as I explained.
    You want the show to stop for ten full minutes? They're not going to do that. And crowds would not like it.

You're making an assumption about curfews. They could be playing past 11 p.m. curfews and paying the fines and overtime. Or the curfew in some places could be 11:15 p.m.
    Tool has an Intermission clock. It's like 15 minutes. It's fine.  Also breaking curfew is like a 25,000 penalty. They didn't fork over 250k in place of just starting 15 minutes earlier. Be logical

Tool's intermission (not the song Jimmy, lol ) is 12 minutes, they provide a countdown so we know exactly when to get back to our seats,  and you are right.  It's fine. 

Some bands play two sets and an encore, with a long intermission and that's great also. 

Not sure i get the $250k comment,  is that what they pay per show to go past 11pm?

If so, I don't get it from a band claiming to want lower ticket prices, and lower premium prices,  when they step on stage up to 90 minutes after show time.

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,438
    2.5 hour shows with an opener is more than reasonable bang for your buck
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,757
    pjl44 said:
    2.5 hour shows with an opener is more than reasonable bang for your buck
    If they have an opener you should be expecting about 2.5 hours and mid-20s in number of songs, and it's an album tour so expect plenty of songs from current album. Nothing different than prior tours with openers. And yeah, Deep Sea Diver put on an awesome show (don't think they mixed up their setlists - WAH!).
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    aurynsdadaurynsdad Posts: 863
    I never could have dreamed that as its members hit 60 years old, my favorite band would be a) releasing fantastic albums and b) touring in strong form. I'm happy as can be. This won't last forever.
    10/31/93 Berkeley (Baba!) • 10/1/94 Bridge School • 9/16/96 Seattle (In My Tree!) • 10/19/96 & 10/20/96 B. School (Alt Corduroy & Alt Porch!) • 10/25/03 B. School • 6/1/03 Mtnview (Crazy Mary! You Are!) • 11/29/13 Portland (All Those Yesterdays! Even Flow!) • 10/25/14 Bridge School (Rain! Fuckin Up! TOTD!) • 5/13/22 Oakland (had to leave early, but W.M.A.! Immortality!) • 5/13/24 Sacramento (Light Years! Picture in a Frame!) • 5/25/24 Bottle Rock (Last Kiss! Maybe It’s Time w/Bradley Cooper!)
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 564
    aurynsdad said:
    I never could have dreamed that as its members hit 60 years old, my favorite band would be a) releasing fantastic albums and b) touring in strong form. I'm happy as can be. This won't last forever.
    x2, very very grateful.