Options

Thoughts on current tour

Comments

• Options
    jimjam1982jimjam1982 AZ Posts: 1,324
    edited May 31
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    Post edited by jimjam1982 on
  • Options
    Hankj25Hankj25 Posts: 292
    I’m thrilled with how great they sound. We will always bitch about setlists, it’s what we do.  

I don’t like the DM autopilot section of the shows.  Not because the music is bad. It’s just kind of a bummer knowing the next 3-4 songs. 

They are still throwing rarities at us. Every night. 

And it’s awesome to see your favorite band look like they are having fun.  So great to get to see them again and already waiting for August. 
    Seattle 8-8-18
    Chicago 8-18-18
    Chicago 8-20-18
    St. Louis 4-4-20
    Denver 4-9-20

Denver 9-22-22
    Noblesville 9-10-23
    Vancouver 5-6-24
    Seattle 5-30-24
    Noblesville 8-26-24

EV
    Chicago 2-9-22
    Tempe 2-26-23
  • Options
    drfoxdrfox Posts: 1,172
    Can’t wait for the European tour, getting really excited. The US bootlegs sound great.
    When thinking about previous times I’ve seen them, the only things that look slightly disappointing from the current US setlists are:
    1) There are more repeats on the 2 shows per city dates - eg in London 2022 there were only 2 repeated songs, and similar last year in Austin, Fort Worth etc. Would be great if they played all 11 Dark Matter songs (including Won’t Tell and Got to Give) over the 2 shows but just 6 on one night and 5 on the other 
    2) I think the band is right playing Alive, Even Flow, Black, Porch, Given to Fly, Corduroy etc on most shows as these are their most famous songs and there will be fans who have never seen them before. But I really think they should reduce the number of times Daughter, Small Town and Do the Evolution are played. Great songs but they really do feel a bit overplayed now. 

These are only minor quibbles though and I would still see the band play even if the set list was 75% the same every night! 
  • Options
    Douglas12373Douglas12373 Posts: 208
    Anyone complaining about the teleprompter is clearly under 40. Also, wtf cares? How does it affect the show in any way other than Ed actually singing the right lyrics?
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,344
    Anyone complaining about the teleprompter is clearly under 40. Also, wtf cares? How does it affect the show in any way other than Ed actually singing the right lyrics?
    Teleprompter is a good thing. As great as the Austin shows were last year and how great Ed sounded, he flubbed a lot of lyrics...a lot :)
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 787
    RS65573 said:
    RW8297 said:
    I think it would be awesome if they played no repeats in the cities where they had 2 gigs. Like Metallica do. Guess 5 + 6 Dark Matter songs each night would be enough. But it is what it is.
    100%
    concur

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,744
    The constant whining about setlists is a mix of annoying and entertaining.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 550
    Went to 4 shows so far, both LV & LA and have Ohana upcoming in Sept...I wrote this in one of my fanviews but I think after seeing shows on this tour the answer is doing special fanclub type shows for the hardcore fans. I know it most likely won't happen again like they did in the Vic Theatre but it would alleviate a lot of this setlist debate stuff.

The shows were incredible and I love hearing the the new stuff + the hits, but I understand the sentiment from those who go to multiple shows every tour - you're going to want to hear the unexpected stuff and with the band now very much in the limelight again since Dark Matter got a major push it's not going to happen to the extent that we want. I noticed it especially at the Forum that there were a lot of "casuals" there, which is completely fine and im glad the band is breaking through again in 2024 - but those fans are clearly going to want the hits and the band knows they'll have to satisfy that. 

On the other hand now with 12 studio albums + Lost Dogs theres obviously going to be a lot of omissions in these 24-26 song setlists and that's why a lot of albums aren't getting much love the last few tours. In my mind the only remedy is to maybe announce when the tour drops that certain shows within cities will be more fan club friendly, this can work especially with multiple nights in bigger cities. I know MMJ did the It Still Moves full album tour recently and they put an asterisk on the shows that they planned on playing the entire album. Or the other option could be "an evening with PJ" sort of show at the ballparks since those are more destination shows anyway and the band can play closer to 30 songs those nights and the arena shows can have the opener + 2 hour show.

In summation, I know this is farfetched but this band isn't a legacy act at all and they have tons of fans traveling to see their 20th, 50th, 100th etc show. In my mind its the best solution to appease the large number of casual fans who attend shows and for us who post here who camp out for merch or stay up all night tracking setlists for shows we can't attend. 
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,344
    The constant whining about setlists is a mix of annoying and entertaining.
    Right? We get so much. Let's just continue to enjoy the ride!
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,497
    I love getting the hits, sure one or two on consecutive nights is not ideal...... Ten/vs/vitalogy  still kill live 

Im always hoping for 1 or 2  rareties on a particular night, but ive been trying to be a sponge at these shows and FEEL great....they always deliver
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 553
    Went to 4 shows so far, both LV & LA and have Ohana upcoming in Sept...I wrote this in one of my fanviews but I think after seeing shows on this tour the answer is doing special fanclub type shows for the hardcore fans. I know it most likely won't happen again like they did in the Vic Theatre but it would alleviate a lot of this setlist debate stuff.
    It sounds like you are in for a Pearl Jam Day concert.  Let us manifest it https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/302920/pearl-jam-day-concert#latest
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,639
    edited May 31
    I didn't know he was using a teleprompter.  My view on the show doesn't change.  If knowing the lyrics allows him to focus on actually singing versus fumbling through a song and not having confidence in the right lyric, then I'm fine with the teleprompter.

Like with many things, technology like a teleprompter didn't exist when concerts started.  Machines that could call balls and strikes didn't exist when baseball was started.  Range finders didn't exist when golf started.  We hold onto traditions, but I would bet if technology was available in the past, we'd have a robot calling balls and strikes, range finders would be allowed at all levels of golf, and teleprompters would have been the norm.  THose 8 people against teleprompters should get over it.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,410
    Listening to the boots on Nugs, the band sounds excellent and the Dark Matter songs sound as good live as I hoped. 1/3 of the set being repeats in 2-night stands is too much though.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 859
    edited May 31
    They should use the 2023 Austin shows as a template of how to play 2 nights in the same city moving forward.  Only 1 repeat and plenty of hits and rarities sprinkled into both shows.  But I get they need to play 5-6 new songs each shows so maybe max 7 repeats. 
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 804
    I didn't know he was using a teleprompter.  My view on the show doesn't change.  If knowing the lyrics allows him to focus on actually singing versus fumbling through a song and not having confidence in the right lyric, then I'm fine with the teleprompter.

Like with many things, technology like a teleprompter didn't exist when concerts started.  Machines that could call balls and strikes didn't exist when baseball was started.  Range finders didn't exist when golf started.  We hold onto traditions, but I would bet if technology was available in the past, we'd have a robot calling balls and strikes, range finders would be allowed at all levels of golf, and teleprompters would have been the norm.  THose 8 people against teleprompters should get over it.  
    I haven't seen anyone against it? 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 944
    11 shows and they still played 99 different songs. 

For reference, Guns N' Roses have been on tour since 2016 and still haven't hit that number after 300+ shows. 
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,391

For reference, Guns N' Roses have been on tour since 2016 and still haven't hit that number after 300+ shows. 
    That is why Pearl Jam is the best live band on the planet right now. I'm just saying they should lean into it. They have enough hits for 2 nights.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,863
    Same as 2021 and leg 1 2022. A few slots for some fun songs. Mostly new stuff which is kick ass material.

Too many repeats. Maybe just don't play 2 in a city if you want to repeat 9 songs. Play one night and hit more different cities... reducing travel for fans = Less carbon footprint. Playing 2 encourages travel = worse for environment. Practice what you preach boys. The concept of playing 2 is basically the 2 nights = 1 long show and they strayed from that.

Visuals are neat but they should get rid of them since it dictated too much standardization of the setlists.

Band does sound great. They are really energized. Stone looks happy. Mike shreds. Jeff does Jeff things. MFC is MFC.

Edit: apologies to Boom and Josh they are also fantastic and always seem to be smiling, don't want to omit them! Love what they bring to the table.

Let's move the EV solo song back to preset before the opening act. Band can take 5 extra minutes and play a group song in that slot. They don't exactly flirt with curfew which appears to be 11:30 as shows end regularly about 11:15 these days. 

Let Stone sing.

My 2024 leg 1 summary. A step backwards from 2023 shows. 
    The EV solo song is where it is because it gives the rest of the band a full ten-minute break.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,524

I haven't seen anyone against it? 

Hasn't Eddie used a notebook for years as a lyrical aid? I don't see much difference between that and a teleprompter.
  • Options
    RS65573 said:

That is why Pearl Jam is the best live band on the planet right now. I'm just saying they should lean into it. They have enough hits for 2 nights.
    I still think Billy Strings give them a run for their money  =)

For example, Billys first 3 shows of 2024 were a 3 night run in Asheville, NC. 

3 nights. 22 songs each night (his jams are long...). 66 DIFFERENT songs played over THREE nights. 

Theres no better bang for your buck than that. 
  • Options
    I should have said best live ROCK band. Billy is great, just not my bag.
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 804
    MMJ definitely has them beat and almost everyone beat on setlist creating and variety. 

And they are a ROCK band 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    MMJ definitely has them beat and almost everyone beat on setlist creating and variety. 

And they are a ROCK band 
    They dont have any hit songs. Do they? I dont know any.
  • Options
    Either way, no love for Lightning Bolt (the song OR the Album) on this leg and idk how i feel about it
  • Options
    SR91748SR91748 Posts: 143
    Last night's show was great!! My head is numb, from the noise, the smiles. I'm a happy camper and grateful that they are still able to put on a great show and that I'm able to attend. They clearly care. Having lived in the Seattle area since back when, there is also something very special about the homecoming shows, that I feel in my heart, as I watch them and look around.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,996

And they are a ROCK band 
    Saw them at a festival several years ago and was bored. I know many love them but they do nothing for me. We left early. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,589
    JimmyV said:

And they are a ROCK band 
    Saw them at a festival several years ago and was bored. I know many love them but they do nothing for me. We left early. 
    I have tried a couple of times to listen and try to get into MMJ and just can't.
  • Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 550
    Current MMJ vs current PJ, MMJ wins by a large margin. If we’re talking different era PJ it’s a lot closer. 
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
    Vegas 1+2 '24
    LA 1+2 '24
  • Options
    edited May 31
    vedpunk said:
    They should use the 2023 Austin shows as a template of how to play 2 nights in the same city moving forward.  Only 1 repeat and plenty of hits and rarities sprinkled into both shows.  But I get they need to play 5-6 new songs each shows so maybe max 7 repeats. 
    They could repeat one Dark Matter song, split the other 10, and still be at 6 new songs each night. I for one would be totally welcoming of that.

Necessary caveats: Yes I realize it may be a function of the screen and visuals. Yes I realize they can do whatever they want. Yes I know what [insert any other band who plays arenas] does with their setlist. Etc., etc. My two cents regardless. (Not directed at vedpunk who I seem to directionally be in agreement with.)
    Post edited by pjl44 on
  • Options
    Current MMJ vs current PJ, MMJ wins by a large margin. If we’re talking different era PJ it’s a lot closer. 
    I agree with you but that's likely because My Morning Jacket is also in my top tier with Pearl Jam. I would definitely choose them if both were playing the same night right now. Hell, if the setlist situation is shaking out similarly in US leg 2 I'll skip one of the Fenway shows to see Clutch.