Options

Thoughts on current tour

JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
Went to the 2 Vegas shows. The band sounds super tight and the sound is excellent.  I wasn’t enthralled with the setlists.  Garden was the highlight.  I can do without hearing Alive, Daughter, Elderly Woman, Yellow Ledbetter for a few years. Curious to hear what others think.

Comments

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,399
    I felt the shows in Vancouver we're pretty good, and enjoyed hearing all the new songs.   The band was solid and in great form.    I feel my problem is that I still have a hangover from the 2013 to 2018 shows, with the 3 hour+ barn burners.  When you play 35 songs a night, there's so much room for new songs, hits, rarities, and covers.    Those shows were all amazing and there was room in the setlists for everything. I never even felt a 3.5 hour set was long.  It seemed the perfect length to satiate my pj appetite. 

I'll get over that era of PJ one day :)
  • Options
    goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 369
    The Vegas shows brought me to a total show count of 31. Loved both shows, but night 1 was a standout. Good lord was that version of Black incredible! They had an energy i haven't seen from them in a very long time. I think the recording process for Dark Matter really invigorated them. They were clearly having a ton of fun. 

Looking forward to the NYC shows in September. 

• Options
    JZ280705JZ280705 Posts: 87
    I agree. Dark Matter far better than Gigaton.   
  • Options
    YAKIMATSUYAKIMATSU Santa Fe Posts: 691
    Fo me Stone is the difference on this tour. He is a smiling fool on this tour and I love that. He seems to be enjoying himself again and that plus everyone else being fire makes for an exceptional tour.
    Dark Matter best album, easily, since Yield is a wonderful change as well.
  • Options
    tschavtschav Posts: 2,803
    edited May 30
    - Dark Matter and the new stage format is a nice change of pace 
    - Liking some of the rare cuts seeping in throughout, even as openers
    - Shorter shows but definitely feel tighter
    - McCready playing with busted ribs is mind blowing, hopefully Vegas 2 was a fluke for Eddie and they can last the full 2024 tour
    - Closing with Setting Sun is a little weird after the house lights come on and Y Led is played, just keep Setting Sun this tour and change out next year
    - Maybe because I’ve been denied enough times on the rail/in the pit, but I’m getting a little tired of tambourine songs (Rockin, Baba, etc)
    Post edited by tschav on
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,966
    Magic. Pure magic.
  • Options
    MikeDigsMikeDigs Santa Monica, CA Posts: 564
    edited May 30
    Mike has gone full blown wizard.
    Matt's drums are booming.
    Ed's vocals sound perfect, as always.
    Stone and Jeff are having a blast, big energy from them like they are back in the early Ten days.
    Same for the whole band.
    Josh and Boom are fantastic. 

Favorite Josh moment was when he came out to perform Something Special.  Awesome guitar grooves and hat.  As I watched people on the floor turn to statues, cuz "oh no, a cool groove about loving family", and Josh dancing around on stage with his hat, I realized that this song is too cool for most people  B)

Favorite visuals are Dark Matter,  Setting Sun, and Do the Evolution
    Post edited by MikeDigs on
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,890
    Zod said:
    I felt the shows in Vancouver we're pretty good, and enjoyed hearing all the new songs.   The band was solid and in great form.    I feel my problem is that I still have a hangover from the 2013 to 2018 shows, with the 3 hour+ barn burners.  When you play 35 songs a night, there's so much room for new songs, hits, rarities, and covers.    Those shows were all amazing and there was room in the setlists for everything. I never even felt a 3.5 hour set was long.  It seemed the perfect length to satiate my pj appetite. 

I think there's a little revisionist history that has happened. Three-hour shows were always exceptions. We're talking about a change from shows averaging 2:30-2:45 to shows averaging 2:15.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    jatimbojatimbo Posts: 33
    Bad Ass! Been going to shows since 2000. PJ is my favorite band. Never been to a show I didn’t like. I think the slightly shorter sets and format with the new album drive creativity. The set lists are unique and the band sounds F-ing great. For perspective, I’m also a huge Opeth and Meshuggah fan. Those shows are hands down some of  the best shows I ever been to, and those are very different shows.  I’d throw Between the Buried and Me in there as well. The metal shows are super tight sets, relatively short and sweet, and heavy on format with little variation. They leave you wanting more, the music is a drug. You are cool with the same thing over again.  I see PJ incorporating a little metal show format into these sets and I like it! Every show is boot worthy right off the bat with how they slide into it with the first 4 songs. How they incorporate a shit ton of great material around the core focus (focus on the focusness) of a new album is where the fun is at. And in summary, they just sound great! I could have only said just that.
  • Options
    ekwiptekwipt Vancouver Posts: 485
    edited May 30
    BF25394 said:
    Zod said:

I think there's a little revisionist history that has happened. Three-hour shows were always exceptions. We're talking about a change from shows averaging 2:30-2:45 to shows averaging 2:15.
    I believe Vancouver 2013 is the longest Canadian show ever & Seattle 2 2018 is one of the longest shows all time. We’ve definitely been blessed here the last couple tours.

*Seattle 2013 is one of the longest all time as well. Those of us here (Pacific Northwest) not lucky enough to travel with the band have definitely gotten used to longer shows. 
    Post edited by ekwipt on
  • Options
    edited May 30
    The ones I saw at Wrigley in 2016 were also 3 hours (with night 1 getting them in a little trouble for going past curfew).   I was under the impression most shows in that era were about 3 hours.  With 3.5 hours being an exception, and 2.5 hours being an exception in the other direction.

I suppose I still find the 7 shows I saw in that area, all of which were 3 hours or more (except Pemberton, which funny enough might be my favourite from that era) to be incredibly amazing.

They're continue to be incredibly amazing, it's just a little less :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,603
    I think it would be awesome if they played no repeats in the cities where they had 2 gigs. Like Metallica do. Guess 5 + 6 Dark Matter songs each night would be enough. But it is what it is.
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,391
    RW8297 said:
    I think it would be awesome if they played no repeats in the cities where they had 2 gigs. Like Metallica do. Guess 5 + 6 Dark Matter songs each night would be enough. But it is what it is.
    100%
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,164
    RW8297 said:
    Yeah but what is the overlap? There are a lot of people at night 2 that want to hear the big hits
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,345
    RW8297 said:
    Yeah but what is the overlap? There are a lot of people at night 2 that want to hear the big hits
    This. The Metallica formula guarantees more diehards will come both nights, but casual fans that only go one night may be disappointed. There is no perfect system. If there was everyone would do it. We have been fortunate that PJ does it the way they have, but things change.
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,200
    I can’t afford the ticket prices this time around and haven’t gone to any of the shows, unfortunately. However, from the YouTube clips, the band has never sounded better. Ed’s voice is a tower, powerful and urgent and harmonious as ever. 
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Options
    deb1211deb1211 Posts: 1,291
    Saw both Vegas shows and I never leave disappointed. My daughter saw her first concerts and was having a blast. This band is just a gem. They have this energy and fire on stage that I never take for granted. I feel blessed to share that room every time I get the privilege 
  • Options
    mwplummwplum Posts: 1,528
    About to go to fifth show of tour tonight (Van x2, Portland, Sea x2) and note the following personal observations:

Pros: band sounds amazing! Seem to be having fun with it. Great new album and happy to see them energized in showcasing it to the fans!!! Opening 4 songs have been mind blowing! Great atmosphere and crowds! We took our 6-year old Eddie to Vancouver 2 and he had such a blast that he talked his way into coming to Portland with us :)

Cons: set list is formulaic - Gone are the days of “evening with PJ” 3 hr shows (over 4 hours in Denver 2014) or full album shows (I was fortunate to attend Moline and Milwaukee (2014) and Philly and Toronto (2016). Not sure if this is temporary, a product of age, etc., but we will cherish those memories forever! 

While I know the band owes us nothing and I am more than grateful to still have the opportunity to see my favourite band 30+ years after my first show, I miss the excitement of not knowing what to expect night-to-night. We basically know that first 4 songs will be mind blowing, next 3-4 will be sequential DM, then a few more high energy, couple more DM, and most likely porch into an encore that will have alive + DTE + a few others. Still a magical experience, but the element of surprise is significantly reduced. Maybe this evolves as the tour progresses?

Screen/lack of fans behind stage: screen is cool, but (in my opinion) not as exciting as a fully packed arena. I love seeing all the hands go up, etc. Also, I find myself wondering, could ticket prices be reduced by 20% if capacity could balance the scales by adding 20% more fans? Again, I acknowledge being very blessed to first see the band in 1992 and follow portions of tours outside PNW from 2011-2016. 

Ticket prices/other cost of travel and living issues: I still find the shows to be absolutely incredible, but for me personally (ie due to financial constraints and family commitments), Im not sure that I could justify the cost of following the band anymore (but stoked for those of you who can!).

Please know that I am just noting my personal observations as I am curious to know whether they are consistent or different from others (i.e. would love dialogue, but please don’t flame me if you disagree). Thanks and hope you all have an incredible time seeing the band this year!
    1992-07-21 Vancouver
    1993-9-4 Vancouver
    1996-9-16 Seattle
    1998-7-19 Vancouver, 7-21 Seattle, Memorial Stadium
    2000-11-6 Seattle
    2001-10-22 Seattle
    2002 -12-09 Seattle
    2009-8-17 Manchester, 9-25 Vancouver
    2011-6-16 Seattle (EV), 9-3/4 PJ20, 9-25 Vancouver
    2012-6-27 Amsterdam (#2!)
    2013-11-29 Portland, 12-4 Vancouver, 12-6 Seattle
    2014-AUS - 1-26 Sydney, 1-31 Adelaide, 2-11/12 EV Sydney State Theatre, 2-13 EV Opera House
    2014 - USA - Memphis, Detroit, MOLINE, St. Paul, MILWAUKEE, Denver, 25/26 Bridge School
    2016 - Lexington, Philly x 2, MSG x 2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto x 2, Pemberton, Fenway x 2, Wrigley x 2
    2018 - Seattle x 2, Missoula, Fenway x 2
  • Options
    NEweatherNEweather Posts: 510
    I can’t afford the ticket prices this time around and haven’t gone to any of the shows, unfortunately. However, from the YouTube clips, the band has never sounded better. Ed’s voice is a tower, powerful and urgent and harmonious as ever. 
    I'm glad for youTube too, for I made it to Sac, and Napa, yet it's over too soon at times, imo, so I've a new appreciation for YT videos from good views with good sound-from great positions in the venues this time around.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,998
    Wish I caught one or two of these shows. Excited for Fenway. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 804
    Are we in favor of the teleprompter? I didnt make any of the shows and just caught songs on XM. Did EV mess up less? Does it help with the variety of sets? 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14
    Lexington '15
    Wrigley '16
    Wrigley x 2 '18
    Nashville '22
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,092
    JZ280705 said:
    Went to the 2 Vegas shows. The band sounds super tight and the sound is excellent.  I wasn’t enthralled with the setlists.  Garden was the highlight.  I can do without hearing Alive, Daughter, Elderly Woman, Yellow Ledbetter for a few years. Curious to hear what others think.
    I mean, pretty much any other band in the world, you will get a cookie-cutter setlist every night. They will keep playing Alive, Even Flow, and a few others because those are the songs everyone knows.
    I will be going to my 11th - 13th show this fall and I fully expect to hear a few of those at all 3 shows, but I know I will get lots of new one and rare ones mixed along with it.

I can't wait to see them on this tour and to get 3 shows in a row will be such a treat for me.
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,355
    Zod said:

Thank you for acknowledging that it was only a 5 year span where those 3+hour shows were the norm.  I’ve noticed a lot of folks that seem to forget the previous 25 years of touring norms lol
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    spankyMPspankyMP NY to NC to NH Posts: 1,345
    Zod said:

Thank you for acknowledging that it was only a 5 year span where those 3+hour shows were the norm.  I’ve noticed a lot of folks that seem to forget the previous 25 years of touring norms lol
    Your dad sounds like a smart man :)
    Randall's Island 9/29/96, Continental Arena 9/8/98, MSG 9/10/98, Jones Beach 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 8/25/00, Nassau Coliseum 4/30/03, MSG 7/8/03, 7/9/03, Continental Arena 6/1/06, 6/3/06, MSG 6/24/08, 6/25/08, Spectrum 10/30/09, 10/31/09, MSG 5/20/10, 5/21/10, PJ20 9/3/11, 9/4/11, Charlottesville 10/29/13, Charlotte 10/30/13, Global Citizen 9/26/15, Raleigh 4/20/16 :( Baltimore 3/28/20 :( Austin 9/18/23, 9/19/23, Forum 5/21/24, Baltimore 9/12/24, Fenway 9/17/24
  • Options
    Zod said:

No problem.  Yah, it now feels like they just went back to how they did it before 2013.   These setlists aren't too much different in length than my first PJ tour (Yield), which is still my favourite tour :)
  • Options
    Weston1283Weston1283 Fredericksburg, VA Posts: 4,672
    The Vegas shows were indeed excellent, especially Night 1
    2010: Cleveland
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: London ONT / Wrigley Field / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / San Diego / Los Angeles I / Los Angeles II
    2014: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Detroit / Denver
    2015: New York City
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale / Miami / Jacksonville / Greenville / Hampton / Columbia / Lexington / Philly II / New York City II / Toronto II / Bonnaroo / Telluride / Fenway I / Wrigley I / Wrigley - II / TOTD - Philadelphia, San Francisco
    2017: Ohana Fest (EV)
    2018: Amsterdam I / Amsterdam II / Seattle I / Seattle II / Boston I / Boston II
    2021: Asbury Park / Ohana Encore 1 / Ohana Encore 2
    2022: Phoenix / LA I / LA II / Quebec City / Ottawa / New York City / Camden / Nashville / St. Louis / Denver
    2023: St. Paul II
    2024: Las Vegas I / Las Vegas II / New York City I / New York City II / Philly I / Philly II / Baltimore
  • Options
    LukinAtULukinAtU Posts: 788
    JZ280705 said:
    i was present as well. Porch, Even Flow, Alive, Ledbetter & Evolution both nights. Then the new ones, which I expected and enjoyed. I think it was 10-11 repeats all together. But thought they sounded good. Such a deep catalog, spread it around.
  • Options
    Are we in favor of the teleprompter? I didnt make any of the shows and just caught songs on XM. Did EV mess up less? Does it help with the variety of sets? 
    I am in favor, and it makes sense that it would encourage them to continue mixing up the sets. As a fan, it's always been a bummer when you hear the first notes of a deep cut that you're excited to hear, and then the lyrics are totally botched. That rarely happened on this tour.

My question is whether the decision to go with the screen, and to forgo the sales of seats behind the stage, was connected at all to the addition of the teleprompter. You could not see the words even when you were right at the front of the stage because of the way the screen was angled under the floor, but it might have been visible from seats behind the stage.
  • Options
    Six songs were played at all ten shows (all eleven, counting Napa):

"React, Respond"
    "Wreckage"
    "Dark Matter"
    "Running"
    "Setting Sun"
    "Alive"

"Even Flow" was skipped twice. That's a small victory. :)
  • Options
    Vedder4PrezVedder4Prez Posts: 804
    BF25394 said:
    I am in favor, and it makes sense that it would encourage them to continue mixing up the sets. As a fan, it's always been a bummer when you hear the first notes of a deep cut that you're excited to hear, and then the lyrics are totally botched. That rarely happened on this tour.

My question is whether the decision to go with the screen, and to forgo the sales of seats behind the stage, was connected at all to the addition of the teleprompter. You could not see the words even when you were right at the front of the stage because of the way the screen was angled under the floor, but it might have been visible from seats behind the stage.
    I thought for sure the screen was a decision after EV decided to go with the teleprompter. Big loss of $ but I want them touring more and diversity! So all for it! 
    Nashville '00
    Houston, B'ham, Nashville, Atlanta '03
    Toledo, Grand Rapids '04
    Kitchener, London '05
    Camden x 2, D.C., Cincy, San Fran x 3 '06
    Chicago '07
    Columbia '08
    MSG x 2 '10;
    PJ 20 x 2 '11
    Atlanta '12
    Wrigley '13
    St. Louis, Memphis '14