Walk on intro music: Dark Entree

01. Oceans
02. Come Back
03. Off He Goes
04. Why Go
05. Scared Of Fear
06. React, Respond
07. Wreckage
{Ed talks about seeing the Lakers when he was young and where his seats were.  Tonight they found a father and son sitting where Ed did and moved them to the pit.}
08. Got Some
09. Dark Matter
10. Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall part 2-(Waters) 57 seconds.  improvs lyrics for half of it.
11. In My Tree
12. Waiting For Stevie
13. Even Flow
(Ed learns of an 84 y.o. gentlemen who is in the pit tonight)
14. Upper Hand
15. Save You
{Ed talks about a much loved fan named Michele Castrellon.  They play the next song for her and her friends}
16. Faithfull
17. Rearviewmirror with Andrew Watt playing Ed’s guitar part

Encore Break

overhead projector Ed writes Kansas City Chiefs. chats with crowd and reads signs

18. Just Breathe
{Ed brings out Tommy LBC who has worked on Pearl Jam tours for a number of years and is now the 2nd monitor engineer.  Tommy is wearing a Denver Nuggets mascot coverall because he lost a bet to Jeff}

19. Running
20. State Of Love And Trust
{Ed talks about women going to college and dedicates the song to his daughter Olivia and daughters everywhere-Thanks Sarah for the info}
21. Something Special
22. Leash
23. Alive
24. Baba O’Riley-(Townshend)
25. Setting Sun

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ForceofNature101ForceofNature101 Posts: 1,257
    Great show tonight!  The crowd was very into it and Eddie clearly felt that and was in a great mood all throughout

"In My Tree" was such a pleasant suprise, the first time hearing that song.  I noticed Josh going crazy on the percussion in back, it gave the rhythm section an even more tribal feel to it

Was not expecting two Backspacer songs either - Just Breathe was a great suprise.  I like Ed's version of any Petty song he does, but I was also glad to hear a PJ original in the encore opening slot

And Oceans!  Last heard it in Los Angeles Night 2 in 2013, great to hear that again
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,897
    My 77th show, and this was an all-timer. I'll write more later but, after watching the show two people off the rail dead center, the two people on the rail left before "Alive," presumably to go get in line for tomorrow-- insane-- allowing me to move up on the rail for the first time ever in my 77 shows. But it was epic way before that. My favorite song of all-time (by anyone), "Rearviewmirror." "Come Back," which I played at the grave of my beloved pets two days ago on the three-year anniversary of one of their passings.

So much good stuff. Just an amazing, incredible night. Thanks to James, Jason and Steve for sharing it with me.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,577
    edited May 22
    What a great show. Loved the setlist, crowd and energy of the band tonight. Really proud of the Forum crowd tonight. Band sounded amazing from my place right in the middle of the floor. 
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    UglymanUglyman Posts: 78
    For the Breaking Bad fans here this is what I thought of the band after the show. The setlist was tight. The musicianship, the singing. All tight. Show #39 and it was solid. 

You can come to terms and realize you're the only one who cannot forgive yourself.
  • Options
    Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 510
    edited May 22
    Another superb show. I counted 13 songs that were not played at either Vegas show so that’s much appreciated. Ed just gets the fan experience.

The dedication before Faithful was extremely touching and beautiful. Rearviewmirror with Watt was another highlight. Vegas 1 is still the show to beat for me in 2024. That was one of the absolute best Pearl Jam shows I’ve seen in recent years but tonight was the real deal. 
  • Options
    inlimbo27inlimbo27 Posts: 11
    edited May 22

EPIC night one at the “Fabulous” Forum which, I might get ripped for saying this, is starting to feel like MSG West, especially with Eddie’s SoCal roots. 

A hypnotic Oceans 🌊 set the table early on, as did Off He Goes > Why Go with many a fists pumped.

Shoutout to the production team btw. Visuals for the dark matter tracks (and this tour in general) are spectacular. And I totally dug how the new songs sounded, but yeesh, Waiting for Stevie and Upper Hand soared above the rest. Running, too. I’m really hoping those tunes stay in the rotation well beyond this tour.  

Crowd brought it tonight energy-wise - and Eddie gave it right back, acknowledging the “phenomenal” 12,700 family, friends and Angelenos in attendance. I was kinda worried about his vocals after reading that his voice dried up a tad in the Vegas desert. Nope, sounded incr-ed-ible, as ever. 

In My Tree, Save You and Rearviewmirror (my fav live song?) were highlights. Leash, too, which got the Forum roaring again during the encore. And god damn, McCready shredded the living fuck outta Even Flow and Alive.Yowwwww.. 🤯 

Sentimental moments included Eddie calling out an 83 year-old “Pop” in the pit, and taking him side stage w his children for the encore. He also dedicated “Faithful” to Michelle, a PJ fam who recently passed and sounded like a wonderful person. Maybe that’s why Just Breathe felt so special tonight? Just a damn big heart underneath it all. 

Thank you Thank You Thank You

Can’t wait til tomorrow. My first time in the Pit after going to shows for three-plus decades!! 😳 

P.S. For all those expecting a Harrison Butker sequel, Eddie drew a KC helmet w the words “Go Chiefs :)” which was projected onto the massive screen eliciting some boos . Then he dedicated “Something special” to his daughter Olivia, in the audience w her mom, and all the amazing daughters everywhere as well as the young women in colleges about to take the world by storm or “play in the NFL,” Ed joked, “as a kicker.”

Post edited by inlimbo27 on
  • Options
    pistol3pistol3 CO Posts: 189
    Uglyman said:
    For the Breaking Bad fans here this is what I thought of the band after the show. The setlist was tight. The musicianship, the singing. All tight. Show #39 and it was solid. 

That’s a tight review.
    VA Beach 8/3/00, Council Bluffs 6/13/03, St. Paul 6/16/03, East Troy 6/21/03, The Gorge 7/22/06, 7/23/06, Chicago 8/23/09, KC 5/3/10, St. Louis 5/4/10, Dublin 6/22/10, Belfast 6/23/10, London 6/25/10, EV Minneapolis 7/2/11, EV Tulsa 11/18/12, Chicago 7/19/13, OKC 11/16/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Pemberton 7/17/16, Missoula 8/13/18, San Diego 5/3/22, Denver 9/22/22, Sacramento 5/13/24, LA 5/21/24
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,185
    Wow 
    .. Rvm is nice to see 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 971

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • Options
    Greyhound06Greyhound06 Posts: 41
    Wow. Has Eddie ever played RVM without guitar? Strange.
  • Options
    MG182478MG182478 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 31
    What a blessing Andrew Watt has been to PJ at this stage of their career. Love it. 
    1994 : Cleveland
    1995 : Chicago
    1996 : Toronto, Buffalo
    1998 : East Troy x2, East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh, Cuyahoga Falls
    2000 : Columbus, Pittsburgh, Auburn Hills
    2003 : Cleveland
    2004 : Toledo
    2005 : Toronto
    2006 : Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    2010 : Cleveland
    2013 : Buffalo
    2014 : Detroit
    2016 : Tampa, Wrigley 
    2018 : Wrigley 
    2022 : Chicago (EV & The Earthlings)
    2023: Chicago 1
    2024: Vegas 1 
  • Options
    PredakingPredaking Posts: 269
    Ladies and gentlemen, we have a Backspacer sighting. So not be alarmed, do not panic.
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,869
    Glad RVM got played 

Porch is the new Evenflow. 
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    Amazing set last night! 
  • Options
    withflyingcolorswithflyingcolors CO Posts: 479
    Come Back, Off He Goes, and Just Breathe would have had me in a puddle of tears. Wow!! Awesome set. 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 870
    inlimbo27 said:

EPIC night one at the “Fabulous” Forum which, I might get ripped for saying this, is starting to feel like MSG West, especially with Eddie’s SoCal roots. 

A hypnotic Oceans 🌊 set the table early on, as did Off He Goes > Why Go with many a fists pumped.

Shoutout to the production team btw. Visuals for the dark matter tracks (and this tour in general) are spectacular. And I totally dug how the new songs sounded, but yeesh, Waiting for Stevie and Upper Hand soared above the rest. Running, too. I’m really hoping those tunes stay in the rotation well beyond this tour.  

Crowd brought it tonight energy-wise - and Eddie gave it right back, acknowledging the “phenomenal” 12,700 family, friends and Angelenos in attendance. I was kinda worried about his vocals after reading that his voice dried up a tad in the Vegas desert. Nope, sounded incr-ed-ible, as ever. 

In My Tree, Save You and Rearviewmirror (my fav live song?) were highlights. Leash, too, which got the Forum roaring again during the encore. And god damn, McCready shredded the living fuck outta Even Flow and Alive.Yowwwww.. 🤯 

Sentimental moments included Eddie calling out an 83 year-old “Pop” in the pit, and taking him side stage w his children for the encore. He also dedicated “Faithful” to Michelle, a PJ fam who recently passed and sounded like a wonderful person. Maybe that’s why Just Breathe felt so special tonight? Just a damn big heart underneath it all. 

Can’t wait til tomorrow. My first time in the Pit after going to shows for three-plus decades!! 😳 

P.S. For all those expecting a Harrison Butker sequel, Eddie drew a KC helmet w the words “Go Chiefs :)” which was projected onto the massive screen eliciting some boos . Then he dedicated “Something special” to his daughter Olivia, in the audience w her mom, and all the amazing daughters everywhere as well as the young women in colleges about to take the world by storm or “play in the NFL,” Ed joked, “as a kicker.”

Only 12,700 were in attendance in the 2nd largest city in America? 🤯
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,748
    Has 'got to give' still only been played once so far? What gives?

I'd love to hear how 'save you' sounded if anyone who was there could comment. One of my favorites, but Eddie has seemed to struggle singing it in recent years.
  • Options
    THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,742
    vedpunk said:
    inlimbo27 said:

It’s a basketball arena, not an open field. 
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 870
    vedpunk said:
    inlimbo27 said:

Thought it held closer to 20k. We had almost 16k in Austin, a much smaller city and arena. 
  • Options
    Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 116
    The Forum's concert capacity is around 17k. 

To anyone that was at the show, did it look like there were 4,300 empty seats? 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,766
    Seats behind the screen are not sold folks.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,065
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    inlimbo27 said:

Thought it held closer to 20k. We had almost 16k in Austin, a much smaller city and arena. 
    Its 18K including the back which is not sold for these shows.

There are only 900 seats available for tonight. Thats blue and pink dots included. Half of those are already sold. LA did just fine. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,766
    Did they fix Faithfull?

(Someone asked about how it's spelled. The Pearl Jam song Faithfull is spelled with 2 l's - the original meaning of this song by my take is it's a critique of people who use religion to advance their own agendas and oppress others, i.e. abortion bans, anti-LGBT laws. Over time it's become an anthem for the die hard Pearl Jam fans - The Faithfull. Anyway, when referenced as a PJ song, it should ALWAYS have 2 l's.)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    dasvidanadasvidana Grand Junction CO Posts: 1,333
    Leash? So jealous for those that got to hear this live. 
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • Options
    Adam HewettAdam Hewett Posts: 116
    PJNB said:
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    inlimbo27 said:

Its 18K including the back which is not sold for these shows.

There are only 900 seats available for tonight. Thats blue and pink dots included. Half of those are already sold. LA did just fine. 
    This makes much more sense to me, thanks for clarifying. 

The Forum looked pretty packed from what I've seen so far.
  • Options
    ianh42ianh42 Posts: 234
    Another epic Pearl Jam show to say the least.  We've been to most of the shows they've done in So Cal over the years, and this one did not disappoint.  I find it funny and unnecessary to rank them, but OMFG this one is up there at the top.  The band still getting it done all these years later with the energy and fervor of playing music beautiful and loud, and sounding fantastic doing so.  SO GRATEFUL to be a part of it still. 

The Oceans opener was perfect for LA of course and my call for the two shows were to open with this one and Release, so we will see what they bring tonight.  I also thought the show would be a bit subdued after hearing and reading what the Vegas shows were.  I thought they took a lot out of Ed but man did he rally quick. No one expected Why Go 4th and it ROCKED.  I personally love the new stuff more and more, and gave it quite the run the last month to be able to sing along to some/most.  UPPER HAND, SOMETHING SPECIAL and SETTING SUN were absolute highlights.  The front four of the album were great too and I like how they've done it albeit predictable.  It'll be interesting to see when they start mixing that up if at all for this tour. 

Tears were shed with Come Back and RVM with the latter having Andrew Watt open it and man does he shred it!  I also love In My Tree and Faithful, also a tear jerking and touching moment for the group of friends that lost theirs. 

Ed was in such a great mood and the crowd in LA was just off the charts great last night.  He commented on it multiple times, and I'm sure it helped that he had his wife and daughter there.  That dedication to her/them was SOMETHING SPECIAL LOL

I also got SOLAT again, and if Pearl Jam is my favorite band, SOLAT my favorite song by them, then that makes SOLAT my favorite song of all time LOL.  They do it live as if they are all still 20 something years old.

I don't know how tonight can top last night, but dam am I looking forward to RUNNING it back!  Cheers!!! 
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,577
    The Forum has a capacity of 17,505 for basketball, but a huge portion of the oval is cut off for these shows. I didn’t see many open seats. 
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, Los Angeles 5/21/24, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,897
    Did they fix Faithfull?

(Someone asked about how it's spelled. The Pearl Jam song Faithfull is spelled with 2 l's - the original meaning of this song by my take is it's a critique of people who use religion to advance their own agendas and oppress others, i.e. abortion bans, anti-LGBT laws. Over time it's become an anthem for the die hard Pearl Jam fans - The Faithfull. Anyway, when referenced as a PJ song, it should ALWAYS have 2 l's.)
    I feel like there should be a pinned post that reminds people that:

1) "Faithfull" has two Ls, not one.
    2) "Even Flow" is two words, not one.
    3) "Who Ever Said" is three words, not two.
    4) The original trilogy is Momma-Son, not Mamasan.
    5) Almost all of the U.S. observes Daylight Saving Time between March and November.

Back to last night, that moment in "Running" when it kicks back in after the bridge is always a highlight.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,791
    It's ok to ask questions. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,764
    edited May 22
    Wow. Has Eddie ever played RVM without guitar? Strange.

I'm thinking he's starting to have Josh play some stuff because Eddie has tendonitis, according to him just recently, and giving up some of his guitar bits is to save him from making it worse. Pure speculation of course, but EV is definitely playing less, and since he claimed tendonitis is an ongoing/permanent problem, I feel like there is likely a connection. I'm sure the fact that Josh's playing is awesome also plays a part in it of course.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata